Bell Choir not very well thought out...

in Wintersday

Posted by: Zynnix.3408

Zynnix.3408

Who uses 1-9 for abilities in an MMO? I mean honestly. So I’m sitting there going “Uhhh…. what’s this note… F? R? Oh god. Oh god. Oh god.” That’s the reality of this game for most people first doing it. I don’t want to have to reset all my keybindings to default to do this. It seems like a fun little game, but it’s not very friendly towards “most people” who have any sort of previous experiences with these kinds of games and binding their skills to more convenient keys and/or mouse buttons.

Alternatively, a way to save a set of keybindings, so I could switch back and forth between the default for things like this would be mighty handy. As it stands I just don’t want to put in the effort to switch everything around, and so I’m missing out on something that looks pretty cool.

I know you likely won’t fix it this year, but next year, and in future events like this, you might want to consider the fact that probably at least 70% of MMO players don’t use 1-9.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Broken Angel.4956

Broken Angel.4956

just rebind them for the event… thats what I did

in Wintersday

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

Write down your keybinds so you don’t lose them, and then set your keys back to default. This way you can go in there, get the two achievements, and be done with it. Then set your binds back up.

Like you said, you don’t want to put in the effort so you’re missing out cause of it. Anet isn’t to blame, you are (sorry if that sounds harsh, wasn’t trying to be).

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

in Wintersday

Posted by: kaffaljidhma.1496

kaffaljidhma.1496

what are you using the alternate keybindings for?

in Wintersday

Posted by: cherrycola.3127

cherrycola.3127

I use 1 to 9, why not? They’re in a convenient location on my keyboard. I suspect Anet would have set up the game the way it is assuming that many people are using the default keybindings, which is sound from a programming standpoint; the average user rarely ever actually changes things from the defaults.

At any rate, you can have two sets of keybindings, so you could always use the second set to temporarily bind 1-9 for this event.

Athayne Elora, Ele
Tarnished Coast

in Wintersday

kaffaljidhma.1496

I just wish there was a lag compensation setting you could use for the activity.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Link.4607

Link.4607

You should re-think that statistic. It isn’t true that ‘most people’ don’t use 1-0 as their skill keys. I asked my guild of 42 people online, two said they used non-default. No one I know IRL uses non-default key binds for the skills.

You can also bind actions to more than one key, as a temp-fix, so you won’t have to re-bind them later (assuming you don’t have anything new keyed to the numbers).

in Wintersday

Posted by: Zynnix.3408

Zynnix.3408

You can have two sets? I was not aware of this. Nevermind then. Problem solved I guess.

It’s still a little inconveniencing though, that maybe they couldn’t figure out another way to do it like hard coding in a seperate skillbar controlled by the numbers or something. Something to think about for future releases I think. Because it’s frustrating when you first show up and you find that your keybindings that are now like second nature to you, have essentially turned a fun musical adventure into GW2 QWOP. Hahaha.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Ari Kagura.9182

Ari Kagura.9182

I don’t know where you got the “most people” statistic (maybe most people in your guild ), but I don’t know a lot of people who don’t use the top row numbers for their abilities, at least in the previous guilds I’ve been in which ranged from very casual to moderately hardcore. For me, I tend to transition between using the Numpad and the buttons on my Razer Naga.

As far as this event goes, just write down your binds somewhere, reset your binds for the event, then when you’re done, you can rebind your keys. A little cumbersome, but if you want those achievements so badly, might as well.

“I control my fate!” — Claire Farron
I am Fleeting Flash, in-game dungeon cosplayer of Reddit Refugees [RR] .

in Wintersday

kaffaljidhma.1496

I use the ZXC keys for my utility skills, G for heal, Q for auto, E for F1, and B for elite. Not the best key config and I am getting hand cramps, but I at least don’t have to click.