Jumping Puzzle compromise

in Wintersday

Posted by: Anka.3675

Anka.3675

Some people thinks the wintersday puzzle is too easy, others that it is too hard. There simply isn’t a way to make one puzzle everyone likes. However, there might be a way to make everyone happy, and isn’t that really what these special events are about, making people happy?

Make one hard puzzle, which is timed, where platforms dissapears, where one single misstake is death. Then make one that looks exactly the same, but which is far more forgiving, where those that need can take their time and still feel that jolly good cheer of doing something that they find difficult. Make the rewards the same, save for the hard one getting perhaps a title, where the easy does not.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Cocktail.7492

Cocktail.7492

I’m all for everyone having fun in the game, but the mindset of people who play MMOs these days that theyre entitled to have EVERYTHING is cancer. Its all fluff, it is time for some people to accept that something is too hard for them and move on.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Fox.3469

Fox.3469

I’m all for everyone having fun in the game, but the mindset of people who play MMOs these days that theyre entitled to have EVERYTHING is cancer. Its all fluff, it is time for some people to accept that something is too hard for them and move on.

this, seriously

If you are looking for a cozy mature Dutch guild (EU) let me know.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Twinklefairy.6739

Twinklefairy.6739

It was far easier, actually did it on first attempt albeit with only like 200 hp left, but it was nevertheless a fun puzzle, it was far less hectic than the clocktower one.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Anka.3675

Anka.3675

Hence… compromise. One hard puzzle, one easy. Fluff for everyone. More happy people. Those that have a hard time with hard puzzles won’t suddenly have an easier time with those just because there is an easy puzzle as well, will they?

in Wintersday

Posted by: kerona.3465

kerona.3465

Or just make some sort of short trainer puzzle for those who are bad at JPs. A few timed jumps around a curved obstacle you have to run through to learn how to run timed jumps?

Quaggan’s Puzzle in Mellagan’s Grotto really helps with your accuracy. The Asura Lab one is a bit extreme for the casual learner.

Maguuma [PYRO]
Oblyth, Mes ~ Nadeshiko Naito, War ~ Hwertu, Gua
Evenree, Necro (M) ~ Ran Still Died, Thief

in Wintersday

Cocktail.7492

Hence… compromise. One hard puzzle, one easy. Fluff for everyone. More happy people. Those that have a hard time with hard puzzles won’t suddenly have an easier time with those just because there is an easy puzzle as well, will they?

You know, call me a snob, but in a way it does ruin it.

Part of the fun of something being challenging and exciting is that you get a reward to show for it. It’s like in sports, you work hard and play your best because you want the shiny trophy for winning.

I’m sorry, I know a lot of people dislike my kind of attitude but at this point why dont we just make it so that everyone logs in and gets all the rewards we would normally. Karma jug, everything. Then all the other fluff stuff can just be for fun.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Travail.7390

Travail.7390

For something like this Wintersday celebration, that’s a good idea. There’s no reason to leave anyone out of an event like this.

I wouldn’t want easy versions of every puzzle in the game to be offered to players, though. Generally speaking, we should be embracing challenging content, and adapting to it; not asking the developers to tone it down. This holiday event is different, since it’s meant to be pretty casual and relaxing.

-Travail.

in Wintersday

Fox.3469

how bout no?

Either practice or do smth else, you don’t have to complete every single thing in the game. I know loads of people who won’t complete this, and there is none of them asking for easy stuff, they have fun trying and then say, well it’s not for me. For the love of god, accept that there are some things you can’t do.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

Fun for mostly everyone rather than just fun for 5% of the population hmmm, plus it’s bad rewards at the end anyways

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

in Wintersday

Posted by: RvLeshrac.2673

RvLeshrac.2673

How about eliminating the bullkitten, like health loss, that is just irritating, not “difficult”?

in Wintersday

Posted by: nelopp.6140

nelopp.6140

A puzzle with 1 piece is not a puzzle.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

When quoted it says Kittentail, but when looking at your username, it’s normal lol.

Anyway, I agree with you 100%

in Wintersday

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

If you were to add easy mode to any jump puzzle, the rewards better not be the same. Heck, if easy mode jump puzzles were made, they should have NO rewards.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Wintersday

Posted by: Riselight.3695

Riselight.3695

it’s easy:
-Timed JP’s like Winter Wonderland and Clocktower should be solo instance, so we can retry right after we failed. No one likes the waiting.
-Add an option to let the player choose what difficulity they want. Higher difficulity means higher rewards ofcourse but alteast everyone should be able to get the achievement

Riselight [WvW] – Elementalist
Smough The Cruel [WvW] – Warrior

in Wintersday

RvLeshrac.2673

If you were to add easy mode to any jump puzzle, the rewards better not be the same. Heck, if easy mode jump puzzles were made, they should have NO rewards.

What? There are rewards?!

All I got was a jug of karma, some socks, and a sweater – which I won’t use, since they turn into absolutely nothing of worth for my char.

in Wintersday

Cocktail.7492

All I got was a jug of karma, some socks, and a sweater – which I won’t use, since they turn into absolutely nothing of worth for my char.

Personally I just started playing again a week or so. I have a 47 engineer and these rewards are amazing to me. I know I’ll need an obscene amount of karma for 80 and all the ugly clothing sells pretty well on the TP.

in Wintersday

RvLeshrac.2673

Personally I just started playing again a week or so. I have a 47 engineer and these rewards are amazing to me. I know I’ll need an obscene amount of karma for 80 and all the ugly clothing sells pretty well on the TP.

Easier and faster ways to get karma and gold.

in Wintersday

Cocktail.7492

Easier and faster ways to get karma and gold.

For a level 47? Would be news to me.

in Wintersday

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

Agreed. In GW1 or other (most) MMOs, if you can’t complete something it remains left undone for a reason. The people who are skilled enough will complete something. It’s not up to the game designers to hold people’s hands on literally every turn to ensure they get their share of content.

That’s just like saying “I feel like ArenaNet should send people weekly exotics so in case we can’t find / buy / farm our own, we can get them anyway and continue to try to do harder stuff.”

in Wintersday

Posted by: Turkman.1089

Turkman.1089

This attitude is everything that’s wrong in this world.

Additionally, ANet wants to retain customers. And if a large portion of the playerbase is unhappy with something they’ll move on. I’m assuming that jumping puzzles as a concept are probably the hardest thing to accomplish in this game. And I absolutely don’t understand, why it wouldn’t be better to have varying difficulty levels for them. And I must say that I have absolutely no respect for people like you that seem to want to exclude others from having fun in a part of a video game.

I don’t care for rewards, so I would have no problem if I would get nothing for finishing it. But I must say that I also think that it’s a very stupid design decision to create a thing that doesn’t get used by most of the players because it’s too difficult for them.

Abaddon’s Mouth
Renth/Eirik
[DP] Diamond Pirates

in Wintersday

Posted by: Lynx.1352

Lynx.1352

That’s just like saying “I feel like ArenaNet should send people weekly exotics so in case we can’t find / buy / farm our own, we can get them anyway and continue to try to do harder stuff.”

I for one would love to have an exotic or two to kick around! If not just for reskinning my pearl stuff. Only gripe with pearl is the horrible look…

And I haven’t tried the jump puzzle yet, but four solid hours of practice on the Mad King’s Clocktower has prepared me for the worst.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien, President of Anet

in Wintersday

Fox.3469

Additionally, ANet wants to retain customers. And if a large portion of the playerbase is unhappy with something they’ll move on. I’m assuming that jumping puzzles as a concept are probably the hardest thing to accomplish in this game. And I absolutely don’t understand, why it wouldn’t be better to have varying difficulty levels for them. And I must say that I have absolutely no respect for people like you that seem to want to exclude others from having fun in a part of a video game.

I don’t care for rewards, so I would have no problem if I would get nothing for finishing it. But I must say that I also think that it’s a very stupid design decision to create a thing that doesn’t get used by most of the players because it’s too difficult for them.

Cause then you would loose the people that want to achieve something and not be treated like babies, and that’s a far bigger group then the complainers atm.

Tell me, why are you entitled to complete this puzzle? Cause you bought the game? Why don’t they make a portal at the start wich brings you to the finish then? Maybe that’s the solution?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Cerise.9045

Cerise.9045

Horrible idea.

They only have a month between each event.

If they put in multiple jumping puzzles or scaling puzzles or whatever, since these things aren’t currently possible in the game they would have to make new systems from scratch, they wouldn’t be able to add all the other event stuff.

Now we get

• Puzzle
  • Snowball fight
  • Bell Choir
  • Tixx events in every city
  • Toypacalypse

With this suggestion they would just have

• Puzzzle
  • Puzzzle
  • Puzzzle
  • Puzzzle
  • maybe snowballs if there’s time

in Wintersday

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

I’ve done it a few times on my Asura now, but for the life of me I can’t seem to get it on my Norn. Go figure.

Oh, I will, I will. Just surprised there seems (to my clumsy self at least) be a “racial disparity” with my ability to do it.

#TeamJadeQuarry

in Wintersday

Posted by: Araris.7839

Araris.7839

I would actually say your post may be “everything that’s wrong with the world.”
It’s becoming a trend in gaming that everyone feels entitled to everything. Whether they have the skill, time, patience, etc, doesn’t matter, they want it so it should be handed to them.

If you can’t do something, then you try harder at it, if you’re not willing to try harder, walk away. Don’t demand something is brought down to your level, don’t ridicule others because they actually try to achieve something while you sit with your hand out, saying “give me, because its fair.”

The training wheels are supposed to come off at some point. Fly, or fall.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Turkman.1089

Turkman.1089

Cause then you would loose the people that want to achieve something and not be treated like babies, and that’s a far bigger group then the complainers atm.

Tell me, why are you entitled to complete this puzzle? Cause you bought the game? Why don’t they make a portal at the start wich brings you to the finish then? Maybe that’s the solution?

I really don’t understand why adding difficulty levels would be a problem for anybody? I mean, of course the rewards would be better in the more difficult ones, but anybody who plays a game for rewards has my pity anyway, if you ask me.

Anyhow, I really can’t understand how that would make them lose any customers? After all, those who are better would still get a superiour reward and the bragging rights that come with finishing it at a higher lvl. I mean it would make abso-bloody-lutely no difference for them. Only thing different would be less frustration on the other side of the spectrum.

It’s just beyond me, how people can be so asocial as to want other people to not be able to accomplish something at a lower difficulty level. You would still be able to stroke your seemingly enormous ego, if you beat it at a higher lvl than some newb. I just really don’t get this “Everything needs to be as hard as possible and everybody who wants a lower difficulty level is an idiot anyway and should do something else.”-attitude. This is a game. It’s meant to be played for fun. If there are too many things in it that are only available for really good players, the less skilled players will move away from this game. And that’s certainly something ANet wants to avoid, because other than your belief, the more casual players are in the majority by far.

Abaddon’s Mouth
Renth/Eirik
[DP] Diamond Pirates

in Wintersday

Posted by: Skribbl.7684

Skribbl.7684

It’s becoming a trend in gaming that everyone feels entitled to everything. Whether they have the skill, time, patience, etc, doesn’t matter, they want it so it should be handed to them.

If you can’t do something, then you try harder at it, if you’re not willing to try harder, walk away. Don’t demand something is brought down to your level, don’t ridicule others because they actually try to achieve something while you sit with your hand out, saying “give me, because its fair.”

I have to agree. Its becoming a real curse on the gaming world.

I’m terrible at PvP myself, won’t lie. Thought the Snowball fight achies were way out of my league. Like the other pvp achies, Thought I wasn’t going to be able to get it.
But I really want that title.
Stuck into it for a few hours this arvo though and eventually got them. Not going to say it wasn’t frustrating at times, but what it was is enjoyable. Having such great time in the snowball fights that I even stayed for an hour or two after Id completed it. It felt like an achievement. It felt like I had done something big. for me anyway.

Life story over;

TL;DR:
Achievements should be achievements.
Your “lower level content” is the ability to play.
End of story as far as I am concerned.

Ralek Manatech – Engineer
Kaithlynia – Mesmer
Fort Aspenwood

in Wintersday

Posted by: Zaith.9132

Zaith.9132

I have a better idea for the reward with 2 difficulties I think is fairest. Have it reward tokens: 1 for the easy and 3 for the hard. That way no one gets left out. Hardcore players can even keep grinding once their hands are sore. Both versions should award a title.

/me tips transmuted tier-3 crafted hat

in Wintersday

Posted by: Zaith.9132

Zaith.9132

Also… people are insensitive to the fact that somethings are not possible for some people period. Trying harder does not always cut it. The attitude by the less skilled that is “plaguing the gaming world” … the response here is the same as saying the impoverished are a plague. The same as saying “if you’re not making enough money to support your family, then work harder or walk away.” This ablist attitude needs to change. I’m not angry, because these kinds of posters are not aware (usually – unless they’ve given up hope themselves).

If the gaming community is plagued by the handicaps of others, it’s not a community I want to be a part of. Is that a community ANet is supporting? I don’t think that, but I’m curious.

/me tips transmuted tier-3 crafted hat

in Wintersday

Posted by: Nevermore.5487

Nevermore.5487

How about you use the time spent whining on improving your jumping skill and mastering the puzzle? This one is ridiculously easy, even my grandpa could do it. If you’re younger than 80 and can’t do this disappointingly easy ice platform then wow, I’d worry more about my motor skills and hand eye coordination than about rewards and achievements in a virtual game. Go out and get in shape, seriously.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Chmod.4391

Chmod.4391

Ridiculously easy, non. I’ve been trying for 5 hours and i didn’t finished it once.

And i’m not bad at jumping puzzles, i just have a problem with time limit.

Nakajima Itoe [TxS]

in Wintersday

Posted by: sonicsix.5713

sonicsix.5713

With the problems WoW has, it is not nearly the mess that GW2 is. I had such high hopes for this game, bought extra character slots, bank slots and bag slots. But the special events are far more annoying than entertaining IMO.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Aldred.9345

Aldred.9345

Well I’m in the group that thinks the Wintersday jumping puzzle is pretty easy. It wouldn’t even feel like an achievement if it was any easier, in fact I’d prefer it to be quite a lot harder. Clocktower was great in that regard!

Maybe some sort of ranking system would be best then, as has already been touched upon. You get bronze just for completing it with any health left, silver for having a certain percentage above that, and gold above that. Greater rewards for the faster finishers, but nothing important that couldn’t get by farming other events.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Skizzy.3017

Skizzy.3017

I thought it was going to be way harder than it was. Iv finished in 10+ times with no issues. If you can’t finish it, you are probably lacking in any kind of patience. I rather have things not handed to me.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Zorada.9457

Zorada.9457

3 Hours i have tried and failed. i even got to the last box before going into the exit and fell through. I hate JPs but hell i will make it one day after all i got till 3rd jan dont i.

I dont see it being esier just need to practice more

in Wintersday

Posted by: Nevermore.5487

Nevermore.5487

With the problems WoW has, it is not nearly the mess that GW2 is. I had such high hopes for this game, bought extra character slots, bank slots and bag slots. But the special events are far more annoying than entertaining IMO.

So don’t do them.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Account.9832

Account.9832

How about eliminating the bullkitten, like health loss, that is just irritating, not “difficult”?

The health loss is the timer. They could make acid rise from the depths or just put a big clock in the corner of your screen instead, the end result would be exactly the same.

The puzzle is on a timer because the server probably can’t handle a separate instance for each player, so, if there was no timer, a single player could basically keep everyone else waiting forever. The wait is long enough as it is (BTW, if you finish the puzzle and want to go again, the game makes you wait the full 2 minutes).

It should be possible to code the puzzle slightly differently and give each person a separate instance (with or without a timer) with minimal resource overload on the server, but I guess GW2’s current engine doesn’t support that.

- Al Zheimer

in Wintersday

Posted by: joku kaks kol kaks.7495

joku kaks kol kaks.7495

i can say that this one is easier than clock tower (i tried it MANY times and finaly got it) even i don’t have finished this one because lag and slow dl (1st flakes are usually melted when im ready)(anet you could give more time to people like me about 5-10s is enough i think )

a player in gandara

in Wintersday

Posted by: Aaron Boone.4021

Aaron Boone.4021

it’s easy:
-Timed JP’s like Winter Wonderland and Clocktower should be solo instance, so we can retry right after we failed. No one likes the waiting.
-Add an option to let the player choose what difficulty they want. Higher difficulty means higher rewards of course but at least everyone should be able to get the achievement

I totally agree with this… I like a challenge but don’t like having to wait between attempts for ages in between goes… puts me off.

Having better rewards for a higher level would mean more tries to get better, especially now I’m not waiting in between goes for an age. But (like at Halloween) if I only have a limited amount of time due to RL then I can choose easy, kitten the reward but have the Achievement.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Or just make some sort of short trainer puzzle for those who are bad at JPs. A few timed jumps around a curved obstacle you have to run through to learn how to run timed jumps?

Quaggan’s Puzzle in Mellagan’s Grotto really helps with your accuracy. The Asura Lab one is a bit extreme for the casual learner.

The Asuran lab puzzle was either the second or 3rd one I’d ever done. The other two were Morgan’s Spiral and the Troll Cave one in LA, both relatively easy.

I don’t consider myself particularly good at jump puzzles, it always takes me a lot of attempts (I just failed the Wintersday one on the first jump) but I managed to do it eventually. And when I went back and re-did it a couple of months later I found it easy, I did it on the second try.

So IMO it’s just a matter of practice and experience in jumping generally. It helps a lot to practice outside of puzzles so you get a good idea of how far your character can jump and what kind of things you can land on.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Wintersday

Posted by: Shikigami.4013

Shikigami.4013

There is no way that various difficulty levels will make people happy. People complain and complain and complain and then some. You really really do not see what will be coming when they do a jumping puzzle with -lets say three- difficulty levels?

People will whine about the hardest difficulty level being too hard and that they cannot do it, but they feel entitled to be able to complete the puzzle on ALL levels just like other people – they don’t want to be excluded by not being able to manage the hard level of the puzzle. THATS how whiny people are! Don’t you see this by reading post after post on these forums?

By the way I managed the jumping puzzle on second try. It took me about 5 hours to complete the clockwork tower for the first time.

Youtube “L2villagejester”.
People using belittling wording like whining/qqing" are not taken seriously by me
Same for people posting only to tell others not to post (“deal with it”-posts)

in Wintersday

Posted by: Asbrandr.6324

Asbrandr.6324

I have to agree. Its becoming a real curse on the gaming world.

I’m terrible at PvP myself, won’t lie. Thought the Snowball fight achies were way out of my league. Like the other pvp achies, Thought I wasn’t going to be able to get it.
But I really want that title.
Stuck into it for a few hours this arvo though and eventually got them. Not going to say it wasn’t frustrating at times, but what it was is enjoyable. Having such great time in the snowball fights that I even stayed for an hour or two after Id completed it. It felt like an achievement. It felt like I had done something big. for me anyway.

Life story over;

TL;DR:
Achievements should be achievements.
Your “lower level content” is the ability to play.
End of story as far as I am concerned.

I second these sentiments; however, this isn’t just that some people want content handed to them, it’s that these same people are the ones that complain when things are too easy because there’s nothing left for them to work towards. It’s a paradox with these people; you either have everything given to you and have nothing left to do or everything’s too hard to do.

I think people just need to get used to the idea of practicing to get better at the content. It’s more or less the same principle applied in MOBA or FPS games. You’re terrible when you start, but you get better as you go as long as you can roll with the punches. GW2’s arguably easier than either of those examples though because the community here is far more helpful than either FPS or MOBA communities generally are.

It took me ~3.5 hours total to finish the clock tower when it came out. It was amazing to finally finish it and, afterwards, I could complete it easily each time. This puzzle took me ~10 tries to finish. It could be because it’s easier, which I think it is, or it could be that I think its easier because I’ve already had practice on the clock tower. shrug Who knows.

Zevkk | 80 Necromancer | Vyhrr Sootshroud | 80 Thief
Cyrus Quintillus | 80 Mesmer | Asbrandr Godrikson | 80 Warrior
Fort Aspenwood [FLOT]

in Wintersday

Posted by: Tsubaki.2508

Tsubaki.2508

Wintersday jumping was a huge improvement over Clocktower, but here’s my issues:
a) still put into groups of players where your character gets lost (better once they start failing, but still)
b) there’s some weird bugs, involving getting sent back to start without falling, and hitbox of snowball, probably others. These things should always be tested before going live. There’s no excuse. Personally, I’d rather not have the holiday – delay it for next season – than be frustrated with the bugs.

Timed is a lame difficulty. If they want to make such a thing harder to satisfy certain people, the rewards can be scaled as appropriate. I hate this method because if I just want to reposition my camera, there’s no time, resulting in many falls.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Asbrandr.6324

Asbrandr.6324

Wintersday jumping was a huge improvement over Clocktower, but here’s my issues:
a) still put into groups of players where your character gets lost (better once they start failing, but still)
b) there’s some weird bugs, involving getting sent back to start without falling, and hitbox of snowball, probably others. These things should always be tested before going live. There’s no excuse. Personally, I’d rather not have the holiday – delay it for next season – than be frustrated with the bugs.

Timed is a lame difficulty. If they want to make such a thing harder to satisfy certain people, the rewards can be scaled as appropriate. I hate this method because if I just want to reposition my camera, there’s no time, resulting in many falls.

I find that zooming the camera all the way out and angling it slightly up is the best way to go for jumping puzzles of any sort. It also prevents you from getting frustrated when there are Norn and Charr around. :P

Zevkk | 80 Necromancer | Vyhrr Sootshroud | 80 Thief
Cyrus Quintillus | 80 Mesmer | Asbrandr Godrikson | 80 Warrior
Fort Aspenwood [FLOT]

in Wintersday

Posted by: Abraxxus.8971

Abraxxus.8971

You want to take some of the sting out of the jumping puzzle, but not kill the challenge? Put a midpoint in it. Let people who have successfully completed the snowflake part, but fall during the presents/wind/giant snowball part, be allowed to start right after the snowflakes. That way you still have to contend with the dangers of the last half of the puzzle.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’ve never had an issue with being in groups, even though every time I’ve done this one I seem to end up jumping exactly in time with a huge charr.

I find I don’t actually need to see my character, I just need a general idea of where they are, what I’m actually looking at is where I’m going and for that other players can actually be helpful because they show you where to go.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Wintersday

Posted by: konosh.4721

konosh.4721

Actually, they improved on this. Now you start on one of 3 platforms. At most you are grouped up with other 4 players. Consider that the snowflake part is really forgiving time-wise, and there’s no problem at all.

If they removed the timed part and introduced some really difficult parts, it would be far more prone to glitch/be bugged. Instead they use a timer and give plenty of room for you to walk near the snowballs.

BTW, if you finish the puzzle and want to go again, the game makes you wait the full 2 minutes

Actually, nope. Finish the puzzle, run to the chest, run to the teleporter, go to the waiting area. If you are reasonably fast (doesn’t even have to be the top player), you can get in the waiting line with 5 to 10 seconds left on the timer.

I did this last night at least 20 times, most of which in succession.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Account.9832

Account.9832

Actually, nope. Finish the puzzle, run to the chest, run to the teleporter, go to the waiting area. If you are reasonably fast (doesn’t even have to be the top player), you can get in the waiting line with 5 to 10 seconds left on the timer.

I found that that worked about 1 time in every 5, at best. Usually the duration of the loading screen between the chest room and the lobby was enough to make me “miss” the next round.

- Al Zheimer