Launch Time?

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Chax.5369

Chax.5369

The game update will arrive at sometime today, Pacific Time (which is the time zone in which our development studio is based). We do not have a specific time at which it will go live.

The first event which will occur at a specific time will happen tomorrow, December 15, per the schedule on the website.

Remember: you will have until January 3 to enjoy the content.

Meanwhile, please enjoy this picture of a hedgehog standing in front of a tiny, hedghog-sized bed, on which a plush hedgehog is sitting.

You kidding me? It CANT be that hard to give the europes a decent timeframe. The patch will arrive in the late night for us. Can’t you just make it fair? Like now: Its 9:26 pm here, noon in the US, thats fair…

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: SSVAV.5862

SSVAV.5862

Remember people what happened today in the United States. Surely to update the Wintersday event isn’t what’s best to do right now.

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Sharki.5693

Sharki.5693

The game update will arrive at sometime today, Pacific Time (which is the time zone in which our development studio is based). We do not have a specific time at which it will go live.

The first event which will occur at a specific time will happen tomorrow, December 15, per the schedule on the website.

Meanwhile, please enjoy this picture of a hedgehog standing in front of a tiny, hedghog-sized bed, on which a plush hedgehog is sitting.

I’m boy, i’m immune your black magic :P

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Parisalchuk.9230

Parisalchuk.9230

Once again a total lack of respect for the playerbase. People want to prepare to log on. Guilds want to prepare. EU people do no want to wait all night. Disgusting treatment. We need a time. If it’s the same 12:00 pst fine, but tell us that.

The only people who are even remotely affected by missing the exact moment the patch goes live today are people who want to be the first on the scene to play the trading post and try and make a killing on whatever items spike or crash in price.

Everyone else could just ignore it until tomorrow when the first Tixx event actually happens which will happen on time. The patch is today to make sure tomorrow (when it matters) is on time.

Just because some people got it in their head that today was the day Wintersday starts and it starts at 10am PST doesn’t mean Anet is ‘late’. If you don’t want to wait all night, go to sleep and enjoy it tomorrow when the real events start.

If your bolded is true why didnt they place the switch to start everything in a few days earlier so they could start on an exact time?

O O O O I I I O – Spoons and Sporks [Soup] (Retired)
http://www.twitch.tv/parisalchuk

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Anat.1765

Anat.1765

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: RobL.1239

RobL.1239

That is incredibly condescending to international players.
The original schedule did not state that today would be PST. If that however is the decision that has been made, why has it taken until 8pm GMT to inform us of this.

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Daendur.2357

Daendur.2357

thank you. My bad about the event. I thought it was today, not tomorrow.

Black Thunders [BT] – Gandara

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: EverythingXen.1835

EverythingXen.1835

Once again a total lack of respect for the playerbase. People want to prepare to log on. Guilds want to prepare. EU people do no want to wait all night. Disgusting treatment. We need a time. If it’s the same 12:00 pst fine, but tell us that.

The only people who are even remotely affected by missing the exact moment the patch goes live today are people who want to be the first on the scene to play the trading post and try and make a killing on whatever items spike or crash in price.

Everyone else could just ignore it until tomorrow when the first Tixx event actually happens which will happen on time. The patch is today to make sure tomorrow (when it matters) is on time.

Just because some people got it in their head that today was the day Wintersday starts and it starts at 10am PST doesn’t mean Anet is ‘late’. If you don’t want to wait all night, go to sleep and enjoy it tomorrow when the real events start.

If your bolded is true why didnt they place the switch to start everything in a few days earlier so they could start on an exact time?

If its not ready today, by what moon logic would it have been ready a few days earlier?

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Damnit! You made me choke on my wine while trying not to spit it all over the computer.

But thanks for the vauge update and the cute picture.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Koga.7215

Koga.7215

given they still do not know what time they can get this out today gives me chills, expect ALOT of bugs as they didnt give themselves enough time to fully test the final version (should have been ready 2-3 days ago with patch being today) to have only very minor hot fix type issues before sending out today…

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Lasaonar.9132

Lasaonar.9132

You kidding me? It CANT be that hard to give the europes a decent timeframe. The patch will arrive in the late night for us. Can’t you just make it fair? Like now: Its 9:26 pm here, noon in the US, thats fair…

You’ll have to file a complaint to the Office of Time Wizards. They can relocate you to a different time zone.

~Maguuma Warrior Princess, Hedda-chan~
[MLG] Professional ~gamer grrrl~ <3
[DARP] Guild

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

I want my mesmer buffs nao! pft!

Pft I woke up at 2am hoping to start the client update too!

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Parisalchuk.9230

Parisalchuk.9230

If its not ready today, by what moon logic would it have been ready a few days earlier?

By the moon logic known as better scheduling management. Coming from a software engineer you should not be modifying a build this close to release. It should be done and tested, thus ready to be deployed. Best practice is to deploy behind the scenes and then switch users to the new build (which they do) but they foolishly tell us wide estimates of when that switch may come.

O O O O I I I O – Spoons and Sporks [Soup] (Retired)
http://www.twitch.tv/parisalchuk

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: rootnode.9546

rootnode.9546

given they still do not know what time they can get this out today gives me chills, expect ALOT of bugs as they didnt give themselves enough time to fully test the final version (should have been ready 2-3 days ago with patch being today) to have only very minor hot fix type issues before sending out today…

I still want to doubt that, but as of lately (Halloween and Karka), I am beginning to question their project planning. It may even be the case that some problems occured and the original schedule got delayed by a few hours, but in that case they need better communication.

“Patch will hit the servers in roughly 6 hours tops.”, or something like that would suffice.

Foran Lonewind – Mesmer
Gwens Avengers
Riverside

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Koga.7215

Koga.7215

You’ll have to file a complaint to the Office of Time Wizards. They can relocate you to a different time zone.

this is why they need to have set times to release big patches such as todays. We all know sometimes it will be 30min-1hr behind schedule, but not having “time zone” based servers and giving no time frame can waste a hole evening of a player whos not in the same time zone as the server. if they know it was a 3pm pst planned launch they can just know they will not see it till the next day, and maybe even go to bed early to get up early to have there fun rather than staying up waiting for nothing.

the devs have posted on twitter that there will be snow before you sleep, but i am sure some of the players in some timezones have gone to sleep on the 14th without snow in GW2!

I’d be happy with the patch notes to see what bugs have been adjusted, what changes i will need to make to my characters builds/play and such. to be honest, I’m more waiting for that then the wintersday stuff that comes today!

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Trevos.6473

Trevos.6473

Atleast give us the patchnote pls…

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Clark Skinner.4902

Clark Skinner.4902

Pictures of animals don’t affect me.

I have wasted 2 hours in Lion’s Arch. Can you at least say “not for another 3 hours at least”, so we know we have time to do a dungeon or a tournament or something?

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: MrInfinit.1864

MrInfinit.1864

I’m not sure I see what the problem is.

They’ve previously announced a patch will hit today (12 / 14 Pacific time/date). I assume they didn’t announce a specific time to prevent complaints, like the ones I’m seeing (they’re late! they can’t stick to a schedule! etc). They still have, what, 12 hours? to get the patch out and still be “on schedule”.

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Nashaan.3160

Nashaan.3160

That is incredibly condescending to international players.
The original schedule did not state that today would be PST. If that however is the decision that has been made, why has it taken until 8pm GMT to inform us of this.

Anet is based in PST timezone, and have ALWAYS used PST for their events. Why would you think this event would be any different?
If you go by your logic, then Wintersday should have started yesterday as its already Saturday morning in Australia.
It’s not condescending to international players, it is however arrogant to expect the world to revolve around your time zone because its more convenient to you.
I am GMT time zone, the event will be here when its here. QQing on the forum won’t speed up the process.

(edited by Nashaan.3160)

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: EverythingXen.1835

EverythingXen.1835

By the moon logic known as better scheduling management. Coming from a software engineer you should not be modifying a build this close to release. It should be done and tested, thus ready to be deployed. Best practice is to deploy behind the scenes and then switch users to the new build (which they do) but they foolishly tell us wide estimates of when that switch may come.

Done and tested? Have you been in game for Anet’s other events so far? I just want it patched so they can begin fixing it.

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

rootnode.9546

Atleast give us the patchnote pls…

I want them too. But I don’t think we’ll see any patchnotes until the patch comes. And I’m starting to think that because with every event I get a stronger feeling that they are programming the patch right now. Ok, kidding.
But seriously ANet…patchnotes, pretty please? As a christmas present?

Foran Lonewind – Mesmer
Gwens Avengers
Riverside

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Brinson.7289

Brinson.7289

Tell the world it will come out before 11:59PM but provide the patch notes and everyone will be happy.

\-\ Poquito (Engineer) /-/ Tarnished Coast
Not Sure If Serious [BZNZ] ||| Cynical [CYN]

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Mortec.5684

Mortec.5684

1st of. That is an enjoyable picture.

Now, here’s what I don’t get.

“it will arrive sometime today”.

As far as I see it, there’s only two scenarios here;

1. You’re not done with the patch yet, (testing, tweaking, changes, what-have-you). But, how can you say sometime today then? You might find errors/bugs/whatever. How can you guarantee the patch today?

2. It’s already done. Finished – and ready to be pushed. But for some reason, I’m not going to speculate as to why, you decide to wait.

Not sure which one I hope/fear is right..

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

- ANet is an American company
- ANet employees work during the daytime in the PST (GMT-8) timezone
- ANet employees need to be working when the patch goes live in case something needs a hotfix due to issues transferring from the dev -> live server
- ANet employees cannot be expected by the company to work all hours of the night if something goes wrong and a release is in the middle of the night to satisfy Europeans

I’m sorry if this bothers you, but honestly, this is the way it is and they have every right to work it this way. If they require their employees to work at 2AM, you kitten off employees and run the risk of losing people because of ridiculous company requirements. They want this to be successful, they want people working the issues right away if any pop up, and they also don’t want to make more mistakes when fixing those issues. It is logical to have patches like this during the work day for them so that they are on their game to fix/address issues and to make sure the switch-over goes down without a hitch.

Furthermore, they’re not going to give you patch notes before the patch is out! The patch notes will specifically say things like “This is now out on the BLTP!” and if they give it to people ahead of time, half of everyone will get confused and more complaining will happen. Patience is a virtue, and there is no tangible benefit to being there when the patch goes live. They did that for a good reason; they did it so that you wouldn’t be punished for sleeping when the patch goes live. Just go to sleep, stop waiting, and if you insist on staying up, know that the only person making you do it is yourself. Grab a beer and wait for the patch, that’s all you can do. There is no ‘disrespect’ or ‘condescension’ or ‘disregard’ for European players here; they’re running a business, they’re working during the day, and that’s just how it goes!

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

(edited by Rising Dusk.2408)

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

RobL.1239

Anet is based in PST timezone, and have ALWAYS used PST for their events. Why would you think this event would be any different?

Actually they gave GMT timings for the rest of this event. They just gave no indication that today would be dictated by PST times only, which is the point I was making.

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Azjenco.9425

Azjenco.9425

I just find it odd that the response message as the day drags on remains “the game update will arrive sometime today”. Not to throw salt in their coffee, but that’s a bit impersonal (somewhat cold) and very uninformative stance.

Instead of replying the same thing over and over, why not just say what’s going on in the background, as I’m sure it’ll abate the hunger mass a lot more effectively than the current method would.

It sort of reminds me of Anet treating the constant enquirers like they’re the kids in the backseat. :P
Forums: “Are we there yet?”
ANet: “We’ll get there when we get there.”

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

rootnode.9546

1st of. That is an enjoyable picture.

Now, here’s what I don’t get.

“it will arrive sometime today”.

As far as I see it, there’s only two scenarios here;

1. You’re not done with the patch yet, (testing, tweaking, changes, what-have-you). But, how can you say sometime today then? You might find errors/bugs/whatever. How can you guarantee the patch today?

2. It’s already done. Finished – and ready to be pushed. But for some reason, I’m not going to speculate as to why, you decide to wait.

Not sure which one I hope/fear is right..

If it’s the 1st case, then I’d at least expect some news on the forums and/or twitter. “Sorry, we found 1-2 problems and want to get them fixed before we have to roll out another patch. Sorry for the inconvenience” bla bla.

Foran Lonewind – Mesmer
Gwens Avengers
Riverside

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

rootnode.9546

I just find it odd that the response message as the day drags on remains “the game update will arrive sometime today”. Not to throw salt in their coffee, but that’s a bit impersonal (somewhat cold) and very uninformative stance.

Instead of replying the same thing over and over, why not just say what’s going on in the background, as I’m sure it’ll abate the hunger mass a lot more effectively than the current method would.

It sort of reminds me of Anet treating the constant enquirers like they’re the kids in the backseat. :P
Forums: “Are we there yet?”
ANet: “We’ll get there when we get there.”

Exactly THAT. They’ve handled it like this with every event so far. And this lack of “background news” was one of the biggest concerns from us players every single time. Did they learn from it? Apparently not.

I love the game, I really do. And I loved Jon Peters’ comments in the profession specific forums lately. But the team handling the patches and the PR….not so much.

Foran Lonewind – Mesmer
Gwens Avengers
Riverside

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Clark Skinner.4902

Clark Skinner.4902

A company I used to work for had a motto “Under-promise, over-deliver”. That way customers would never be let down, and sometimes they would be impressed.

It would make the player base happier if you completed these updates in advance and announced a date you were absolutely sure you’d make. If you announced the patch to be the 15th and events starting the 16th, no one would complain about wasted time, and you’d be ready to release it early.

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Vadrillan.9185

Vadrillan.9185

Actually they gave GMT timings for the rest of this event. They just gave no indication that today would be dictated by PST times only, which is the point I was making.

Are you being deliberately obtuse? For everything they gave times for, they gave them in PST and GMT. Do you really want them to say “patch released sometime today PST and simultaneously in EU”??

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Graill.8596

Graill.8596

If i am tracking correctly, the “14th through the 3rd” is really the “15th through the third”. The wintersday announcment on the main page is simply wrong then. Lucy will explain it later. Laugh.

There is no worse feeling than that during an argument, you realize you are wrong.

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Inserach.7906

Inserach.7906

whats the point of advertising everywere that Winterday is 14th Dec to Jan 03rd yet it doesn’t start till 15th?? someone get the date wrong?

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

RobL.1239

Are you being deliberately obtuse? For everything they gave times for, they gave them in PST and GMT. Do you really want them to say “patch released sometime today PST and simultaneously in EU”??

What is obtuse about expecting clarity? They gave GMT times for the rest of the event, for today they just said Dec 14th, There’s a reasonable expectation therefore that everyone would get it on Dec 14th. If that wasn’t the case they should have clarified this sooner.

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: xWraith.4651

xWraith.4651

whats the point of advertising everywere that Winterday is 14th Dec to Jan 03rd yet it doesn’t start till 15th?? someone get the date wrong?

its Anet … get used to it)

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: neon.4863

neon.4863

What they gave was the GMT equivalent time for the patches, which are still based on PST.

PST is 8 hours behind GMT. By saying the patch will be out “sometime today” (in PST), they’re saying it’ll be out sometime between now and 8 AM GMT.

Also, we don’t know why they’re not giving an estimate, but if they don’t give one, it’s because yes, it’s too tricky for them to give one. I’m not sure what makes anyone think otherwise.

(I do agree though that it’s questionable planning for a company this large to not have patches run on a fixed schedule. The patch should, by all rights, be ready to launch.)

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

rootnode.9546

(I do agree though that it’s questionable planning for a company this large to not have patches run on a fixed schedule. The patch should, by all rights, be ready to launch.)

It should have been ready since at least Monday or Tuesday. If planned good and safe.

Foran Lonewind – Mesmer
Gwens Avengers
Riverside

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Nemui.6753

Nemui.6753

Seriously? A hedgehog?
But back to topic: a rough timeframe would be nice. For example for players in the EU, it’s a matter of “do I wait a bit to start downloading the patch or can I go to bed because it won’t happen until late at night?”

typically, these types of event patches have been live around 04:00 to 05:00 or 4AM to 5AM, central european time.

so unless your schedule allows for you to stay up that long/get up that early, i recommend going to bed.

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Unterkiefer.8372

Unterkiefer.8372

I have an question: why do you wrote the 14th on the german site? I do not have a problem with a start based on american time. But at least you could have written more clearly that its american time or write 15th for us europeans in case its not starting before days end.

Lem Semmel [SF]

Sorry for shattering your illusions

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: neon.4863

neon.4863

It should have been ready since at least Monday or Tuesday. If planned good and safe.

Yup. Or at least it should’ve been planned to be ready since Monday or Tuesday – that way if something went horribly wrong they’d still have time to fix the patch before today.

And if things continued to go horribly wrong, they should at least be informing players that the patch will be late – there’s no need to specify why, I don’t think, but “Hey guys, sorry about the wait, we’re having issues with the patch and it may be late, but we’ll do whatever we can to get it out today” would be better than just “it’ll be ready to launch sometime today”. Better communication overall would be nice, I think.

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Wheeks.6451

Wheeks.6451

Other than the initial cinematic, is there anything happening tomorrow that will be permanently missed if we aren’t around for it? Do the events only last for 24hrs?

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Nemui.6753

Nemui.6753

no, the date is not wrong. it will be on the 14th for the american west coast. and i’m sure you’re aware that this date might fall on the 15th for europeans (or just everyone who’s in EU or earlier timezones).

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Joon.2381

Joon.2381

Just wanted to let Anet hear that I also agree on the fact that this should´ve been better executed for us EU players

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Nashaan.3160

Nashaan.3160

Other than the initial cinematic, is there anything happening tomorrow that will be permanently missed if we aren’t around for it? Do the events only last for 24hrs?

Schedule : http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Wintersday_2012

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

You can enjoy the events and claim the rewards up until January 3rd. You miss absolutely nothing by not being on when the particular event begins.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Ceder Of Tyria.5079

Ceder Of Tyria.5079

Still summer in LA on Gunnar’s

Legacy Of [MARA] & Scions Of [MARA] ~Gunnar’ Hold Descendants Of [MARA] ~Yak’s Bend
www.gwmara.com

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Rarespawn.6028

Rarespawn.6028

I think most people’s frustrations lie not in the fact that the patch isn’t live yet, but in the fact that the time listed for when it will go live is vague at best.

I don’t know about you ANet, but when I have a report due to a customer by 5pm on a Friday, I don’t email them pictures of hedgehogs (however cute they may be) and tell them it will be done when it gets done, ignoring what I initially promised.

I don’t care if the patch goes live on the 14th or the 15th. I just want to know WHEN, so I can plan things accordingly. In the real world this is considered common courtesy. If you state the patch will go live on the 14th, most people (reasonably) assume that by midday on the 14th the patch will be live.

I am 30 years old and I love video games. I admit to planning my time accordingly to play video games (I have to do this because I am a responsible adult and have other priorities).

This planning becomes hard to do when no solid time is given. All I am asking for is some common courtesy, ANet.

Mesmer 80, Elementalist 80, Guardian 80, Ranger 40

(edited by Rarespawn.6028)

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

@Rarespawn There’s nothing that can only be done right after the patch goes up. Just plan for it to be later rather than sooner.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

rootnode.9546

Well, I could’ve gone and get wasted instead of waiting for the patch, which most likely won’t come out until tomorrow in the EU. Both choices will cause headaches, but getting wasted would’ve been more fun.

Foran Lonewind – Mesmer
Gwens Avengers
Riverside

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Rarespawn.6028

Rarespawn.6028

@Rarespawn There’s nothing that can only be done right after the patch goes up. Just plan for it to be later rather than sooner.

Obviously, but why do I have to guess? Why can’t they just give us a straight answer?

Mesmer 80, Elementalist 80, Guardian 80, Ranger 40

Launch Time?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Ceder Of Tyria.5079

Ceder Of Tyria.5079

Off cause people get frustrated. Some have been standing in LA for hours not wanting to start anything else because they might suddenly be prompt for a new build/update and want to participate in Wintersday from the start.

Legacy Of [MARA] & Scions Of [MARA] ~Gunnar’ Hold Descendants Of [MARA] ~Yak’s Bend
www.gwmara.com