Missing 200 Mystical Cogs

in Wintersday

Posted by: Manganeez.4801

Manganeez.4801

According to the wiki, it’s possible to get as many as 950 Mystical Cogs. Some users have confirmed that they’ve actually done so. The wiki page says that 200 of these came from a chest by Tixx in LA, but that it was replaced with a mail reward instead. This is separate from the 250 that everyone received in the mail that also included the back piece, etc.

I have not received the email with the 200 Cogs. I have talked to Tixx, but he only responds with flavor. I have completed every single event and I have every achievement. So can someone explain this to me? What gives?

in Wintersday

Posted by: RetiredBard.5294

RetiredBard.5294

This is separate from the 250 that everyone received in the mail that also included the back piece, etc.

Source?

I was under the impression that the mail was to ensure that everyone got at least enough cogs to make 2 of the 5 toy minis, since diminishing returns reduced the number of cogs received in the dungeon for a lot of players, and that wasn’t intended.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Chaos.7231

Chaos.7231

There were 200 provided via the chest for those able to access it after talking to Tixx (Once he reached Lions Arch).

Many people were unable to access said chest (including yourself it appears), so everybody was sent 250 cogs (among other items) via mail to ensure those people who encountered issues with diminishing returns early on, were covered for at least 2 mini pets (which was what Tixx’s chest was supposed to solve in the first place).

If it makes you feel any better, having any more than 750 provides no benefit whatsoever. 950 is still short of the required 1000 necessary for four minis.

Hardcore Casual [8 Level 80s – No Legendary]
80 R | 80 W | 80 G | 80 E | 80 M | 80 E | 80 N | 80 T
- Tarnished Coast Server

in Wintersday

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

There were 100 cogs per city event, giving you a total of 500 if you completed each city.

The chest in Lion’s Arch with Tixx provided players with 200 cogs. This was to help players who had not received a total of 500 cogs from the prior city events due to problems with diminishing returns.

Since players were having problems with the chest functionality, it was removed and mails were sent out to everyone with 250 cogs (again, to help players who had not received a total of 500 cogs from the prior city events due to problems with diminishing returns, and who had also not had the opportunity to access the chest in Lion’s Arch.

Yes, this means some players ended up with as many as 950 cogs, while others only received 750 cogs, depending on whether or not you were around to access the chest during the brief period it was available.

in Wintersday

Manganeez.4801

This is separate from the 250 that everyone received in the mail that also included the back piece, etc.

Source?

I gave the Wiki source in the original post. There’s a list of sources, and they’re clearly separate.

If it makes you feel any better, having any more than 750 provides no benefit whatsoever.

I realize that’s true for this Wintersday, but the extra 200 can make a difference for next Wintersday, and I would certainly save them. It’s simply unfair that some players are allowed to achieve 950 of them, and others are denied the opportunity.

(edited by Manganeez.4801)

in Wintersday

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

I honestly believe that if they tried to fix this situation again, everyone would end up with an additional 200 cogs (thus leaving the problem completely intact).

in Wintersday

Posted by: Lacechan.6524

Lacechan.6524

Source?

I was under the impression that the mail was to ensure that everyone got at least enough cogs to make 2 of the 5 toy minis, since diminishing returns reduced the number of cogs received in the dungeon for a lot of players, and that wasn’t intended.

No longer valid because of the removal of the chest, but here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2xfliD6QGQ&t=36m5s

Interview with the event team where they mention giving 200 cogs in the chest as compensation for those hit by diminishing returns. However this plan failed after it was implemented (look for the topic about not getting a reward from Tixx in LA) and so they had to send out the mail as a surefire method.

in Wintersday

Manganeez.4801

However this plan failed after it was implemented (look for the topic about not getting a reward from Tixx in LA) and so they had to send out the mail as a surefire method.

But I didn’t get such a mail (perhaps it’s still incoming, and that’s the detail that I’m missing here?).

I realize this was an honest mistake, ANet are human after all. This is not as heinous as the one-chance Karka event in November that I couldn’t be at (now everyone and their dog has 20 inventory slots I’ll never see). But the “fix” was the most unfair possible – it compensated a minority of people who were victimized by DR resulting in a deficit of maybe 20 or 30 cogs (I can’t back those numbers up with paperwork :P) by punishing the majority of players with an effective deficit of 200 cogs. It just doesn’t make sense in light of the fact that they can be saved for later.

They should have analyzed the logs and given the DR victims exactly what they should have gotten. That’s still the best thing to do, but now they also need to make sure everyone gets 200 extras once to keep it fair.

(edited by Manganeez.4801)

in Wintersday

Posted by: Lacechan.6524

Lacechan.6524

They tried what you suggested with the Lost Shores compensation, and the result was some people got extra chests, some didn’t get any, regardless of whether they were at the event or not.

They kind of implied back then they weren’t going to do something like that again (take weeks analyzing data to see who needs to get the rewards then run a script to mail out every account that was flagged as needing it) since it bugged out. Come to think of it I’m not sure they ever gave their final response on what the solution to all of that was going to be for the future.