Mysterious Present and Skritt

in Wintersday

Posted by: Absolution.2851

Absolution.2851

From the wiki:

Mysterious Presents are objects that spawn during Wintersday 2012. Interacting with the present will cause it to explode, releases a group of Skritt and a chance to drop presents. The level of Skritt scales with the area.

Define: “Scale”

Difficulty Level: Over 9000.

Attachments:

in Wintersday

Posted by: Braxxis.7062

Braxxis.7062

Well….maybe it’s defined by the level of the person that opens the gift?

Nahla Lisandril / Ashelia Morin / Craulk
Yolaine / Orindine / Maliasera
~ Among the Ashes [Dust] ~

in Wintersday

Absolution.2851

Still makes no sense. As you see, the adjusted level is only 26. How, feasibly, can a person run past all those lv69 skritt, to interact with the present, much less kill the skritt for Presents?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Braxxis.7062

Braxxis.7062

This is true….hmm….that could be painful

Nahla Lisandril / Ashelia Morin / Craulk
Yolaine / Orindine / Maliasera
~ Among the Ashes [Dust] ~

in Wintersday

Posted by: skullfaerie.7203

skullfaerie.7203

I’ve managed alright with the very pathetic to watch but so far effective “run in, grab present, run as fast as you can and heal” strategy.
…. it’s not pretty. But you get presents.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Slaskia.8376

Slaskia.8376

I had decided to do the gift gathering on my lowbie alt rather than my 80 warrior. Some high level (I think, I haven’t gotten close enough to see the individuals real level) is going around opening all the presents, spawning lv 69 skritt…which two shot myh lv 19 thief. Ouch!

If the scaling feature is malfunctioning with these presents, I am certainly not going to be ‘that’ jerk running around on my high level spawning mobs that will insta kill lowbies.

in Wintersday

Posted by: skullfaerie.7203

skullfaerie.7203

Omg. Hope something like that hasn’t happened to anyone because of me. I don’t want to turn into that jerk :o

I’ve only opened a couple of presents where no one was around so far though, and was under the impression that the Skritt vanished after a little while. Hope I didn’t get anyone in trouble.

in Wintersday

Absolution.2851

Working as intended? I’m not sure what ANet has to say about this, as far as implementation is concerned.

I’m just surprised that lv69 mobs are allowed to spawn in such a low level area. Of course theres that exception in The Brisbane Wildlands with all the lv80 Legendary human thugs, but then again, they aren’t guarding a giant present (as far as I’m concerned) and they can’t attack you.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

I opened it, got a bell that was worth 10k order, 50k on TP. No idea why. It was just a bell that made sound. Unbreakable. If its anything like the others, its a one time use.

Edit: 10g and 50g, not 10k and 50k.

in Wintersday

Posted by: AnthonyOrdon

AnthonyOrdon

Game Designer

Next

The skritt should be level-appropriate to the region. I’m investigating this issue right now. They will disappear if you leave them alone for awhile.

Deified, you are very lucky. That’s a rare item.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Foss.4830

Foss.4830

I opened it, got a bell that was worth 10k order, 50k on TP. No idea why. It was just a bell that made sound. Unbreakable. If its anything like the others, its a one time use.

Yeah if i were you id hold on to that one. Gona be worth alot after this event is over. Plus you can use it to annoy the crap out of your friends :P

Bluecog – Valór [RUN] – Kaineng

in Wintersday

Posted by: InfamousBrad.5879

InfamousBrad.5879

From the wiki:

Mysterious Presents are objects that spawn during Wintersday 2012. Interacting with the present will cause it to explode, releases a group of Skritt and a chance to drop presents. The level of Skritt scales with the area.

Define: “Scale”

Difficulty Level: Over 9000.

There’s one of those by Ascalon Catacombs in Fields of Ashford: level 12 area, spawns level 31 Skritt about half the time.

in Wintersday

Previous

AnthonyOrdon

Game Designer

Next

There’s one of those by Ascalon Catacombs in Fields of Ashford: level 12 area, spawns level 31 Skritt about half the time.

Yep, got that one on my radar as well. Basically I’m checking the entire game. Should be able to get this addressed before….other things…start coming out of those boxes.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Just get a thief to use shadow refuge.

in Wintersday

Absolution.2851

Or… instead of having to rely on a class mechanic that only ONE class, (maybe except for Mesmer via Elite) has, that is mass-stealth, then how about we make them approachable

No need to make a work-around if its a known, and acknowledged (Thanks Anthony!) issue.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Cathbadb.6079

Cathbadb.6079

Went Frost Gorge, unwrapped a present on my 80 Guardian (1/2 exotics btw) and was nearly stomped by several level 79 Skritt with a Rifle Turret to boot. The Skritt Pistoleer hits pretty hard.

in Wintersday

Absolution.2851

No offense but at least you had the opportunity to fight them on somewhat equal ground. A level 80 vs lv79s. This scenario is just a gross oversight, where being adjusted to level 29 and making you fight level 69s.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Charming Rogue.8071

Charming Rogue.8071

I was running around in queensdale on my level 13, and got 4-5 level 9 skritts. Is your spawn a bug? Cause mine were easily manageable, and look like the appropriate amount.

Desolation – EU – [KING] – Immortal Kingdom

in Wintersday

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I’m just checking in to say that my level 23 Guardian in Caledon Forest did a few of these and was spawning level 9-ish Skritt. They were challenging to solo, but not too bad.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

in Wintersday

Previous

AnthonyOrdon

Game Designer

Next

Just a quick update, I went through everything and only found these two instances of alarming level range disparity. We should be able to get these fixed shortly, but until then you can simply avoid the area (or get an epic zerg together to take it down and post the video so I can see it).

Thanks for reporting. I’d greatly appreciate any further reports here.

Also, just for clarification, the spawn levels should, in fact, be based on the location they’re at and not the player that opened the box.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Macnol.3752

Macnol.3752

Alright, reporting then: I just passed by a Mysterious Gift in Plains of Ashford (level 12 region) spawning level 31 skritt.

in Wintersday

Posted by: crystal.5930

crystal.5930

Just a quick update, I went through everything and only found these two instances of alarming level range disparity. We should be able to get these fixed shortly, but until then you can simply avoid the area (or get an epic zerg together to take it down and post the video so I can see it).

I really wish it had occurred to me to take screenshots. A group of players in Ashford, on Tarnished Coast, in the wee hours of the morning, decided to go to war on the Skritt. We were of varied natural levels (my ele was level 15, but others were higher). At one point an event triggered nearby that spawned lots of ghosts, so they got into it, and of course some of the local wildlife got annoyed; it looked like a WvW zerg – a sea of red. I think the level 31 Skritt may have started to despawn (there were actually 6 of them up at first, due to somebody triggering the box again), but I am absolutely sure we took down at least two of them. And much merriment was had by all. But please…once was enough. :-)

Chosovi Rose, Thomas Thorn, Crystalbrier, Bracken Farstone, Crassul, on Tarnished Coast
“Worshipping nonsense and imagination” — Hayden Herrera (paraphrased)

in Wintersday

Posted by: drifterxion.8396

drifterxion.8396

T-T… one shot for like 21k damage… I feel like a just got a lump of coal..

Attachments:

in Wintersday

Posted by: Whispy.4829

Whispy.4829

I was working on my world competition last night and facerolled all the present I saw. I was desperately searching for a missing heart and must have hut 20 of these things.

in Wintersday

Posted by: drifterxion.8396

drifterxion.8396

Update: This one present in plains of Diessa Plateau spawns lv 69 mobs. screenshots of where it is

Attachments:

in Wintersday

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

Can you tell for sure if it is one time use?

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

in Wintersday

Posted by: BiJay.9830

BiJay.9830

Unbreakable means you can use it permanently.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Warlord.9074

Warlord.9074

“Just press 2 to win all the dps was us cuz we’re a
warrior and we’re the best class” Eugene

in Wintersday

Posted by: tobakett.1846

tobakett.1846

I just had this happen twice in 30 mins….both times on a lvl 32 Asura Engineer, in Plains of Ashford, effective level 12, spawned Skritt that were level 31, wiped me and another guy out. One present was just south of agnos gorge, the other a bit southwest of there.

Didn’t get my presents either time and that was even with setting up turrents and stuff to try and distract them

in Wintersday

Posted by: ogreatbeardedone.1953

ogreatbeardedone.1953

Yep, got that one on my radar as well. Basically I’m checking the entire game. Should be able to get this addressed before….other things…start coming out of those boxes.

ooooo, a hint OTHER THINGS will come out of boxes!

in Wintersday

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

the mini centaurs that help Trixx have come out. Much nastier than skrit.

ooooo, a hint OTHER THINGS will come out of boxes!

in Wintersday

tobakett.1846

Is there an update as to when this is going to be fixed? I will be traveling with family for most of Wintersday so I only have a few days to participate and I hate not being able to open presents. Very much not happy.

in Wintersday

Previous

AnthonyOrdon

Game Designer

Is there an update as to when this is going to be fixed? I will be traveling with family for most of Wintersday so I only have a few days to participate and I hate not being able to open presents. Very much not happy.

There are currently only two actual spots (specific spots) where this happens. We’ll get it fixed as soon as we can.

in Wintersday

tobakett.1846

are they both in Plains of Ashford? Sorry if I’m being a pest but I’ve had it happen in 3 places of Plains and wasn’t sure if you were talking spots within a zone or a zone in general…