Q: How do you get "Gift Stopper"

in Wintersday

Posted by: Anomander.6932

Anomander.6932

Q:

I am using Support in snowball mayhem and I have knocked over like 15 people with the slippery ice and made them drop the gift. I am getting no progress towards the achievement. Am I missing something? Do I need to be another class?

PS. ANET I am absolutely loving wintersday, this is fantastic content <3 keep it up.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Kaderin.7584

Kaderin.7584

A:

You have to bring the gift carrier into ‘downed state’, just slipping or them dropping the box voluntarily doesn’t count

in Wintersday

Posted by: Anomander.6932

Anomander.6932

Thank you for the answer! =) That’s going to be tough since so many supports knock them over. I suppose you only need 5 though.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Quise.5628

Quise.5628

This is nonsense people just drops gifts before they get downed and we people cant do this

EDIT: And probably this achievement get bugged.

(edited by Quise.5628)

in Wintersday

Posted by: Groonz.7825

Groonz.7825

The best way to do this is

1. Pick scout
2. Find the enemy carrier
3. Run ahead of them in a distance
4. Charge up your #4 skill and if you did it right, he should most likely be running around your area when you are fully charged.
5. POW, you’ve hit him for like 90% of his health from a single charged attack, now just finish him off.

Thats the best way, as others tend to take too long and the carrier can drop it on his own or someone else interferes.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Oorjuwa.1682

Oorjuwa.1682

I have put the carrier of the gift to down state and its not working, you have to kill.

Edit: tbh it should not be this way. Making the carrier drop the gift should be enough. People that do not like PvP such as myself should not be forced into this for the sake of an achievement and title.

“You’ve got some really nice toys there. Mind if I break them?”
— Gwen

in Wintersday

Posted by: Phalanix.7542

Phalanix.7542

I have not been successful with this one either, it sounded easy enough, but I guess not. Downing them would make more sense as many times another person would pick up the dropped present before you can finish the downed player. It also seems like you have to be the person who last hits the gift carrier.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Ping.5739

Ping.5739

i got up to 4/5, but just cant get the last one. no matter what method i use

This useless bar doesn’t make you awesome. However, stuff above does.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Flameseeker.1563

Flameseeker.1563

I’m 1/5 for hours and can’t really say how i did the 1st one.
Even using scout and snipping them down doesn’t seem to work.
This should be like WvWvW kill tags, do x% of damage and when the guy is down/dead you get a point towards achievement.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Icid.4520

Icid.4520

You must get the last hit that puts the gift carrier into the downed state. It does not matter how much actual damage you do to them, you just have to get that last hit. If they slip or manually drop the gift or someone else gets the last hit you will not get credit. If you are playing as the Scout, their #3 ability is also really good for getting this achievement but needs to be used in close range. It hits hard and rapidly and can easily down an injured player.

in Wintersday

Posted by: ebrown.8193

ebrown.8193

You down the gift carrier. I just finished mine. I managed to get 3 in one round. I used the gap in the cliffs (where the swiftness bonus is) to get ahead of their gift carrier. #5 as scout, then timed my #4 correctly. Thankfully they already had ~half health, so my fully charged #4 brought them down. Repeat until achievement achieved.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Adam.4103

Adam.4103

I see a patch incoming, surely this wasn’t the intention as it does seem pretty stupid.

Adam The Vanquisher
Gandara

(edited by Adam.4103)

in Wintersday

Posted by: Tdawg.8309

Tdawg.8309

In my humble opinion a few things need changing:

1: players that pick up presents cannot drop them untill downed, of obvious reasons.

2: players should get credit for doing a certain amount of damage instead of just for the downed shot. Just like with loot drops.

These 2 small changes will ensure people actually get this achievement.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Finaldeath.1059

Finaldeath.1059

They should have made it where using a skill that makes them drop the gift gave credit.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Flameseeker.1563

Flameseeker.1563

If it’s the last hit it’s a stupid mechanic that doesn’t help the team.
At the moment to have a decent chance of doing the achievement you either wait for the enemy to have less than 80% and snipe or wait for 50% and use the fast attack skill in close range. If half the team is waiting for those moments you’ll be watching a bunch of guys overkilling a single opponent with their best damage skills.
By using a tag mechanism you could make sure there’s no need to have everyone spiking the same target in hopes that one of them get the point.

In another matter i’m pretty sure i’ve downed a few guys and didn’t get any points, so my guess is that there’s also a bug lurking here.

in Wintersday

Posted by: vicious.2193

vicious.2193

In my humble opinion a few things need changing:

1: players that pick up presents cannot drop them untill downed, of obvious reasons.

2: players should get credit for doing a certain amount of damage instead of just for the downed shot. Just like with loot drops.

These 2 small changes will ensure people actually get this achievement.

This. Granted, it’s a 2 week event. But I’ll be damned if I haven’t been the majority of damage on at least 12 carriers this morning and someone just came in and popped them off or the kitten dropped the box right before the final blow just to kitten me off.

Do you see the sins you’re making? ‘Cuz I’ve made them all before.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Sharkinu.8096

Sharkinu.8096

I think it counts even if they drop the gift before getting downed. I downed a player about 3-4 sec after he dropped the gift and it counted for the achievement.

But it doesn’t really matter, downing 5 carriers in 2 weeks is not really that hard.

in Wintersday

Posted by: vicious.2193

vicious.2193

I think it’s also important to note that you don’t need this achievement for the title – if that is your goal. You only need 12 holiday achievements out of the 14. Unless, of course, 2 of the others don’t count for some reason.

Do you see the sins you’re making? ‘Cuz I’ve made them all before.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

You have to have the kill shot that brings him into down state for it to work

in Wintersday

Posted by: Tdawg.8309

Tdawg.8309

This does indeed seem to be bugged. I just downed a player, was the only one near him even and I didn’t get anything.

Please can we get an update about this. I’m stuck on 4/5.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Adam.4103

Adam.4103

It seems ridiculous that you could take off 95% of the person’s health by yourself but because an ally got the last shot in you get nothing for it.

Adam The Vanquisher
Gandara

in Wintersday

Posted by: Timze.7980

Timze.7980

Could Anet give any word about this? Fix or anything?

This really seems way too hard for casual players to get since it seems you have to shot the “killing shot” in order to get the achievement. Or do you have to kill the carrier in down state too?

3/5 and can’t seem to get any more no matter what I do…

If you are reading this, you are only waisting your time!
Still reading this? You know there is something better to be done for sure. -.-’’

in Wintersday

Posted by: Beleeth.9162

Beleeth.9162

You just need to deliver the killing blow, you will knwo if u succeeded if ur name appears as the killer on the UI, also you will get a notice stating Gift Bringer Stopped or something along that line.

Also as many have mentioned, pick Scout, try to stay out of combat and skirmishes, you just got to aim to bring them down while carrying the gift, try to hide and stay close to the route that leads to their base, stealth etc.

It’s pretty easy when u get used to the shortcuts and stealthing ur way around to sneak into their path, also you will know if u stopped players on the board as stopping a player gives points for the match as well.

in Wintersday

Posted by: han.9042

han.9042

I seem to have no problem completing it at all. I played it for only about 15 rounds. I just chase them as the scout and kill them while they’re in down state.

in Wintersday

Posted by: SeppH.1836

SeppH.1836

Tried a bunch of methods in the past 20+ rounds… knock out, last hit to down, last hit to kill, most damage, nothing seems to count.

This is pretty bugged imo, conceptually at least.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Starlink.6248

Starlink.6248

this is the hardest achiv of the vent… maybe need a fix for it. We all do the 1st step easly but later seems to be impossible…

in Wintersday

Posted by: Vrede.8942

Vrede.8942

I have been trying this, this morning and I have brought several players to downstate & Killed. Yet I did not get any achievement point for it. Could it be that it is bugged?

The Goonie who wasn’t in the movie.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Icipher.6078

Icipher.6078

seems to be bugged atm. i did so many last hits on gift carriers, but never got gift stopper after step 1

in Wintersday

Posted by: Nevermore.5487

Nevermore.5487

I have put the carrier of the gift to down state and its not working, you have to kill.

Edit: tbh it should not be this way. Making the carrier drop the gift should be enough. People that do not like PvP such as myself should not be forced into this for the sake of an achievement and title.

1st: you don’t need this for the title
2nd: no one is forcing you to do anything but you. Where does it say you need an achievement or title? There’s an achievement to stop people carrying the gift, those who want to achieve it, they will, those who don’t they won’t. As simple as that, it’s not obligatory for anything.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Nevermore.5487

Nevermore.5487

seems to be bugged atm. i did so many last hits on gift carriers, but never got gift stopper after step 1

It’s not bugged, I got it done like an hour ago.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Glektor.2934

Glektor.2934

The best way to do this is

1. Pick scout
2. Find the enemy carrier
3. Run ahead of them in a distance
4. Charge up your #4 skill and if you did it right, he should most likely be running around your area when you are fully charged.
5. POW, you’ve hit him for like 90% of his health from a single charged attack, now just finish him off.

Thats the best way, as others tend to take too long and the carrier can drop it on his own or someone else interferes.

This is exactly how I did it. As scout, you can also use stealth to slip past the bodyguards and charge up your attack while stealthed. By the time they even see you come out of stealth you are hitting them with that super sniper shot which nearly kills them.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Carzor Stelatis.9435

Carzor Stelatis.9435

If you don’t like PvP why are you bothered about a PvP title?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Finally got it. You don’t need to kill them, just down them. Easiest way I found was with scout. Get close enough with stealth and use the 3 skill (rapid firing one) at point blank range. Does a lot of damage. :o Sniper shot just wasn’t cuttng it for me. Need to Rambo them in the face.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Account.9832

Account.9832

It’s not bugged, I got it done like an hour ago.

So if it worked for one person, it can’t possibly be bugged, eh? I guess that means there are no bugs at all in AC, since sometimes the NPCs trigger the events properly…

I downed 4 gift-carrying enemies with fully charged sniper shots today. Got one point of Gift Stopper.

It’s a dumb achievement to begin with (encouraging players to let the enemy get the gift, and discouraging them from protecting gift-carrying teammates), and on top of that seems to lack the ability to count.

- Al Zheimer