So, how did everyone like Wintersday?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Durian.5419

Durian.5419

1) Awesome! Tixx gave me exactly what I wanted!
2) It was okay. Needed more Grentches.
3) What? There was an event?
4) Wintersday went splat. Giant ANet lied to us.

I am somewhere between 1 and 2, personally.

Takkek Twicechosen, bone-collecting ranger of Plague[SICK]

in Wintersday

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

I’m leaning closer to 1 rather than 2. I did enjoy it a great deal, but the toys in the PvE maps were way over powered and there could have been a better chance for the better rewards dropping. Still, it was fun!

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

in Wintersday

Posted by: Toast.6459

Toast.6459

#3. I don’t consider this an event, there was a disturbing lack of mini polar bears.

I kid, for the most part at least. Give us back our 0.002% mini polar bear (and the grentches to go with it)!

in Wintersday

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

2, definitely. Props for the Skritt quote, but would you please explain me why they say that? Never understood that.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

in Wintersday

Posted by: Abazigal.3679

Abazigal.3679

2, i appreciated the event but maybe there should have been less luck-based items

in Wintersday

Posted by: Arsenic Touch.7960

Arsenic Touch.7960

It was tolerable.

The RNG aspect of it was horrible, they still haven’t learned from that and I doubt they ever will.

The reward at the end was pretty bad too.

Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

Dragonbrand – Level 80 – Human Ranger

in Wintersday

Posted by: Toast.6459

Toast.6459

2, definitely. Props for the Skritt quote, but would you please explain me why they say that? Never understood that.

You have to make some inferences. We can assume that Toxx (Gladdos) told the skritt they could participate in Wintersday or something of that nature by doing what they did, and obviously when they got turned into princess dolls, that ruined Wintersday for them. Clever scheme by Gladdos to make more princess dolls? Actually attempting to spread cheer? Who knows.

in Wintersday

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Wintersday was awesome, the random drop buyable boxes with heaps of minis in them were not.

Next time, please make the minis buyable directly (and no, that doesn’t mean that there should be costumes as a random drop instead).

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Wintersday

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

2). Would have been nicer if stuffing and glue were a little more achievable without mass farming and hoping the RNG favoured you – or at least make the Tixx rewards 125 of each rather than making you choose which to have a 250 excess of (leaving the choice of either selling it or paying something exorbitant on the TP to be able to use that excess – at least the flipside was that if you took option A, you’d get the better part of two gold out of it). I’d also concur that the toys that popped out of the fallen gifts were probably a bit too tough, especially in the lower-level areas.

Regarding the skritt quote – the impression I got from the whole event was that GlaToxx was trying to sabotage toy production and take over while Tixx was oblivious. Part of that likely involved getting the skritt on board to cause trouble, and introducing errors in the toy production resulting in the ‘malfunctioning’ toys.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Between 1 and 2.

It was a good event overall, quite enjoyable.

Got 3 free minis, loads of skins and some new reciepes.

Toyapocalpse and the musical keyboard were great fun.

It would have been perfect for me personally, if they had given players a incentive to do the Tixx’s dungeon more than once per city…

But overall good job ArenaNet.

(edited by Meglobob.8620)

in Wintersday

Posted by: binidj.5734

binidj.5734

Wintersday
Hovering somewhere between 1 and 2 for me. Box mobs in the world were way too strong for the most part (the Skritt were fine but the others involved a serious fight … usually involving several tactical retreats) and felt geared to groups rather than solo. I think it would have been more accessible had the regular presents been aimed at solo players, while having specific scalable events pop up here and there (a bit like Halloween) for groups of players to enjoy.

As with Meglobob it would have been nice had the Tixx dungeon been more worthwhile … perhaps if one could obtain one the same daily rewards available in the capital cities (ie. something desirable and not obtainable elsewhere) that would increase the demand beyond those unfortunates who missed out on one of the cities.

GLaTOXx
My conspiracy theory is that all the Princess dolls everywhere are skritt that have been transformed by the paint gun. GLaTOXx was tasked with obtaining lots more “raw materials” by Tixx (I seem to remember a dialogue hinting at supply issues of dolls in Divinity’s Reach … though I may be reading too much into that) and lured a bunch of skritt on board with promises of a golden land of opportunity and adventure … and shinies. Of course, skritt being skritt, there was inevitable fiddling with stuff that (in numbers just large enough to be dangerously incompetent) they didn’t understand … and by “stuff” I mean GLaTOXx, the assembly line, toys in general … pretty much everything on the airship. Things started breaking, and (having realised what was in store for them) skritt started running amok in the ship, breaking stuff and looking for food, revenge and/or a way out. Looking at it this way, the skritt assault on the princess village suddenly becomes a case of heroic skritt trying to come to the rescue of their enslaved and horribly transformed brethren; how do you feel about your part in driving them off now? You monster!

Glad to be [Grey] – http://thegrey.enjin.com/home
Piken Square

(edited by binidj.5734)

in Wintersday

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

It was fun, but the last Tixx event was a bit disappointing. It seemed like it was focused a lot on achievements, which I really don’t care about. But it’s hard to complain about anything, when we get it all for free. I enjoyed the snowball PvP and the jumping puzzle a lot.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in Wintersday

Posted by: MrDmajor.7084

MrDmajor.7084

Skipped it. Haven’t played much if at all since Fractals debacle and what it has done to the rest of Tyria. -Vocal “Minority”

ArenaNet does NOT play Guild Wars 2. This can’t be.

in Wintersday

Posted by: phabby.8945

phabby.8945

disappointed , the Tixx events were boring after the 2nd time round

No hunt for a mini PB which has always been a GW’s tradition for wintersday.

Farming Mystery Gifts in the world was a lie they didn’t drop like we were told they would so all you ended up with was more of the same junk nothing special to go wow ill keep farming the giant gifts.

Hated the JP cause of the timer, Physically cant go that quick thru a jp need an option for no timer even if the drops would be lower would be nice to have some chance at finishing it for the fun of it.

So yeah disapointed in the content, Loved the graphical side of the event ,the dev’s did an amazing job with that side of things every thing look amazing.

in Wintersday

Posted by: BiJay.9830

BiJay.9830

Of the above choices? None. I really liked the event but didn’t care much about the rewards but the karma jugs from the daily jumping puzzle might come in handy at some point. I don’t need a motivation to have fun with an event.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Bonzoso.7014

Bonzoso.7014

It got me to log in every day for 5 days straight, so that’s saying something. I didn’t do much other than run the 5 Tixx stops and dabble with the mini-games in Lion’s Arch, but it was pretty fun. The core game has taken a backseat to non-MMOs and other non-gaming activities right now, so the only times I’ve logged in during the last few months were during Halloween and Wintersday. I skipped the Lost Shores weekend entirely.

in Wintersday

Posted by: wookiee.4631

wookiee.4631

I’d say 2. It was fun, much better than Lost Shores, haven’t seen as many serious complaints. I didn’t do a ton, but I thought fighting the toys in PvE was fun, and it was kind of neat to build snowmen.

I hope the next event doesn’t occur in Lions Arch, though. I think some other location should be tried.

Guild: Northern Wolf Clan [WOLF]

in Wintersday

Posted by: Revyn.8961

Revyn.8961

Probably #2 for me. As has been mentioned, the RNG was frustrating. Also, after seven years of getting a cool hat during the Wintersday finale in GW1, the lack of a free hat in GW2 was a letdown … and a harbinger of things to come?

Skipped it. Haven’t played much if at all since Fractals debacle and what it has done to the rest of Tyria. -Vocal “Minority”

The Fractal gear grind “kittened” me off to the point that I started playing another MMO… one that I haven’t touched in three years. I just started playing GW2 again this week (instead of using GW2 as a chat program to catch up with guildies).

(edited by Revyn.8961)

in Wintersday

Posted by: Phantax.1369

Phantax.1369

Loved the events, loved them.
BUT… same as with the halloween event, visuals looked cheap. I mean geez they couldnt even do the whole of Lions Arch with snow ! ?
And as soon as you left LA, well it was as if Wintersday didnt even exist. It completely spoilt the asthetic emersion

:(

We’re not retreating… we’re advancing in a different direction !
Money can’t buy happiness, But it allows you to search in more places to find it !

in Wintersday

Posted by: Bonzoso.7014

Bonzoso.7014

Loved the events, loved them.
BUT… same as with the halloween event, visuals looked cheap. I mean geez they couldnt even do the whole of Lions Arch with snow ! ?
And as soon as you left LA, well it was as if Wintersday didnt even exist. It completely spoilt the asthetic emersion

:(

Yep, they could definitely take a page from Blizzard’s book on that…with WoW’s major holiday events, pretty much every little town and quest hub received the visual makeover to some degree. I’m hoping 2013 brings a few changes to ArenaNet’s design philosophy to help move GW2 away from completely becoming a lobby game where Lion’s Arch is the lobby.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Good event. Too much Tixx and zero lore.

in Wintersday

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

Very nice, probably made around 10+ gold on making ice creams:)

I hope next year it wont be the same thing no matter how fun it is

in Wintersday

Posted by: Venirto.4208

Venirto.4208

For it it was something between 2/4

in Wintersday

Posted by: miniL.7361

miniL.7361

1). I thought it was fun to say the least, went for the achievements as I like to do and somehow I did jumping puzzle untill i had 80+ presents on the first day alone xD
Love the jumping puzzle, on later tries somehow the box was completely empty while it was my first jump that day after reset which was a bit of a bummer but im not sure if that was a bug or not. Happened twice but someone else had it as well.

I liked how anet seemed to have listened to the criticism and feedback from other events, even if it was the clouds of people in the halloween jumping puzzle which they split up in smaller groups and gave a bit more time for the jumping.

Personally I enjoyed the halloween jumping puzzle more because i liked the challenge and this 1 was rather easy (only failed when I tried it late at night when being tired). However I guess this is part of the change neccessary for other people. 3 modes (easy, normal, hard) would be nice though for the troubled jumpers, and the more skilled ones so at least everyone can reach the achievement, and perhaps different rewards can be added.

The dungeon was fun but I did find a lack in diversity having to do pretty much the same thing 5 times. I did enjoy the toypocalypse a lot though because it was just insanely funny. Managed to get the achievement without any of the dolyaks dying on the first day after 2 tries. Did it with 4 random people and after I shortly explained my idea on strategy we soon had all dolyaks covered by ice blocks and siege all around to quickly take out approaching enemies.

I’d say they at least made this event a succes when it comes to being complete and pretty close to bugless. I also think thats the most important thing in the first place and therefor this was a great success.

Lost shore was big and exciting but ofcourse was a different content addition and not just holliday event, but was also incomplete, and felt buggy. Halloween had its troubles 2 and it was refreshing to see wintersday bring a whole new feeling about new content to the game.

Bell choir was ok for a short time, did like the pvp for the first few days as well.
Can only say they should keep it up like this and expand on what they did with wintersday, adding more different events/things and a bit more varying events. Adding more fun is always good.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Valentine.6529

Valentine.6529

I would give it a 2 or a 3. There didn’t seem to be any lore connecting this to Tyria what so ever. We knew little about Tixx other than the fact that he was an Asuran toymaker. The event didn’t seem to affect Tyria in anyway, unlike the Halloween event. The only part I really liked was the JP and the Snowball arena. The music event was cool, but I didn’t find interest in it after awhile because I had the songs already memorized. Having the weapons in the Gem store was awesome probably one of the best things that Arenanet did during this event. Minipets were hard to get as you didn’t have a 100% chance of getting them. The thing that bothered me the most though was the story, Wintersday wasn’t suppose to be all cheery, in fact that’s what separated it from being just a holiday based on Christmas. Wintersday in GW1 was cold, and dark, and wasn’t always cheery especially with the Necromancers turning people into Grentches. Lions Arch also had snow naturally, the cold weather came down from the mountains. It could be that the gods are gone, but there still could have been a celebration to them. I get though having an event based on Humans once again is a bit unfair to the other races but there could have been more racial experiences with that. I wanted to know how the Sylvari felt about Wintersday since they don’t exactly like the cold.

Overall, I like the Halloween event a lot more. But that could just be me, as Halloween is my favorite holiday and I prefer it over a Christmas related one. Wish it could have been a bit less like the tale Santa Clause and more original.

in Wintersday

Posted by: raven.8479

raven.8479

1) Awesome! Tixx gave me exactly what I wanted!
2) It was okay. Needed more Grentches.
3) What? There was an event?
4) Wintersday went splat. Giant ANet lied to us.

I am somewhere between 1 and 2, personally.

mmm well i would have prefferd a few quest lines like in the original GW i now this is a whole new game,so ima gunna go with 2/3 while i did manage to play when i wasn’t in work found it just a bit like everything i have seen it the game already,gladly i dont see giant snow men every day,but i thought it could have been better

in Wintersday

Posted by: skullfaerie.7203

skullfaerie.7203

I had a lot of fun and everything was very pretty and well done, overall
The lighthearted nature and evil cuteness of the toys was great. Nothing like being mowed down by a bunch of tantrum-throwing, faceless children’s dolls. Therapy will be needed for weeks to come….!
Still remember my first impression of the event, shortly after opening: that moment of pure shock when I first came across a gift and, naive and in good faith opened it, only to have a horde of malicious skritt almost murder me in cold blood (yes, I am ridiculously gullible and past experiences taught me nothing).
Or the moment we were fighting a horde of centaurs and I got knocked over by a giant gift falling from the sky.
Lazier game designers would’ve just made the gifts respawn in place. Too funny!

Everything was good fun and done with care, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself

Oh, but as for players…: thanks to the guy in the Durmand Priory who opened a gift and pulled the mob all the way into the services section who got me killed as I was afk and didn’t expect anyone to be that moronic. And then you ran away. May all your hair fall out prematurely and your teeth go bad, as you justly deserve
Apart from that minor display of stupid, people I encountered during the event were great fun. Thanks for making the games fun and all the christmas spirit!

If anything could be improved, as some have said, some background could’ve been interesting, but that would just have been a bonus. Thanks for a fun and well planned event, ANet!

(edited by skullfaerie.7203)

in Wintersday

Posted by: MasterYoda.8563

MasterYoda.8563

1. Wintersday event is how events should be here on out and proof is on the forums with considerably less QQing compared to the last two previous events. For me personally Wintersday event was the last chance for Anet to get it right or I would quit playing the game.
Game Security Lead “Closing this thread,
your account,and your 384 other accounts”
GG Anet

in Wintersday

Posted by: Rakuren Kenshou.7689

Rakuren Kenshou.7689

I’ll go with 2. I actually thought the Grentch was going to be responsible for the toys going haywire. Bah!

I didn’t find most of the content spectacular enough to repeat it more than necessary for achievement reasons.

Except for the jumping puzzle. I did it at least once a day, and basically repeated it until I fell once, then left. My record on a day was 7 in a row before falling. And close to the end I started to see how fast I could finish it and started timing myself. So that was fun. Hope they keep that kind of stuff and start timing it (like they did with Rollerbeetle races). Heck, having any sort of “player ranking” for mini games would greatly increase their popularity.

“I reject your reality and substitute my own.”

in Wintersday

Posted by: Lillith.5724

Lillith.5724

Going with the inbetween 1&2.
JP was hard for me, but I’m not really that great at them. Enjoyed it while I could for several hours and only made it to the presents. Never got to see the end.
Nothing better than being out in the environment and have a great big present drop in front of you LMFAO! I giggled like a little girl until me and the hubby opened one and got hosed…was still funny tho!
I soooooo wished there would be Grentchies running around LA stealing presents…that was THE most fun in GW1. Especially while waiting around for groups. Maybe next Wintersday? wink…wink…nudge…nudge Anet
The decor was fabulous…absolutely enchanting and in time with the music I was awestruck! Still would have been nice to see all the main hubs decorated too. No one really spends time in Divinity’s Reach or The Grove that much anymore and it feels empty.
In spite of the fact that the game dropped less than 5 months ago, I think ANET did a great job and gathered data for suggestions for next Wintersday. I’m sure it will be more fabulous than this one.

Lillith Flame – Norn Ranger
Guild Leader: Spank Reunited
Yak’s Bend Server

in Wintersday

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

The mini dungeons and games were fun but had trouble finding a group for the mini dungeons towards the end of it. Loved the mini’s that we crafted. Loved the weapon skins.

Don’t like rng items, never had, never will.

The presents were not hard for my ranger in mid to upper level zones. The were pretty difficult for my light armor characters in low level areas.

All in all, I enjoyed it. I would like to have more things earned, not rng (mini’s from store presents, the everlasting tonics from the forge). Also, would have liked another way to get glue and stuffing that was more productive.

I would like to see quests for Wintersday also.

All in all I’ll give it between 1 and 2.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

in Wintersday

Posted by: Ice of Dragons.1637

Ice of Dragons.1637

i really liked the wintersday. I know its a multi racial holiday now but still i would wish a b it of dwayna vs grent felling in the divinitys reach. The jumping puzzle was amazing same goes for the bell chore and snow ball battle. I wonder if the same minis will be available next year or at least from the same materials or is it safe to get rid of the remaining materials.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Vilkata.4725

Vilkata.4725

I’m somewhere between 1 and 2. I really enjoyed the daily events in each of the capitals and wish there was a sort of finale when Tixx got to Lion’s Arch. I was able to do these with a group of 2 (me and my girlfriend) which is the main reason I enjoyed them. This is also why I didn’t like the Toypocalypse very much since I couldn’t attempt it with just the 2 of us. We couldn’t even join the event together. I think it would’ve been OK if we could at least get into the same instance but no luck.

I do think the toys were a bit too tough since it seemed like the best way to get the mystery presents in PvE was to open it, grab the present, then run away before the toys destroyed you. Also the drop rates for the giant presents seemed a bit messed up, since I only got sweaters from them throughout the whole event.

The bell choir event was a lot of fun, even though I was terrible at it. I also thought the minis and weapon skins were all very cool. I was lucky enough to get the golem made of christmas lights on the first day of the wintersday event.

Leader of The Quiddity [Quid]
Everything is a Nemesis plot.

in Wintersday

Posted by: foogison.5067

foogison.5067

I thought wintersday was the worst event yet. Tixx Infinarium was the same everyday, the jumping puzzle was super easy, and new weapon skins werent nearly as cool as halloween. Also, new armor stats dont make sense for almost any build except maybe a guardian or elementalist, but even most of those wont use them.

The entire chance aspect that arenanet has built this game around frustrates the hell out of me. If you want to get the unique item from the event, you have to buy it straight up. Chances like 1 in 20, 000 gifts to get an unbreakable bell is rediculous.

So what it initially cost 35g, well in most situations thats all the money people have. I hope in the next event it is more like halloween were you have to complete specific tasks in order to get the specialty item (mad kings memories complete). But make it alot harder so that its not instantly a cliche item.

in Wintersday

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

I enjoyed it. It had a nice holiday feel and the activities were fun. I liked the daily introduction of new elements to Tixx’s workshop and how you could still get the rewards you needed if you missed the specific day.

Toypocalypse and the PvP snowball map were entertaining but I didn’t do them much. I have limited gametime so I don’t dabble in sPvP much even though I like it and once I had the mats and title I didn’t feel any desire to do Topyocalypse repeatedly like the Mad King’s Maze/Realm.

The bell choir was a fun minigame and the jumping puzzle was impressive looking but I don’t like timed jumping puzzles so I avoided it.

The toys were a cute idea for reward and they were all very well designed. The plush gryphons and charr nutcrackers were my favorites. Most of weapons skin were a bit mediocre but the wand and hammer skins made up for that lol.

Overall I thought this was a fun event. But I agree with the OP that there needed to be some Grentches

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

(edited by DoctorOverlord.8620)

in Wintersday

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

5) It was blah because you couldn’t really get anything substantial for your character, and I’m so glad it’s over.

Cheers.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday