The Meaning of Wintersday

in Wintersday

Posted by: tyaf.5296

tyaf.5296

The last few days I have been lurking here in the forum. Reading posts after post regarding the Wintersday Event. The majority of posts I see, people demanding more. There is an over whelming attitude of gimme gimme and self entitlement.

Anet did not have to create this event. Anet didn’t have to spend months, planning, modeling, uvmapping, texturing, rendering, animating or rigging. They did it in the spirit of what is Christmas. They wanted to give the community a fun event. Christmas is the season of giving. Not selfish behaviour as what I and many more reading these forums can see.

When Wintersday started, I went to Lions Arch, I sat for a moment and looked at they work they gave to the community. It was a labor of love for Anet, it quite obvious when you step into Winter Wonderland. That for me alone was when I said to myself, “Thank you for working so hard so I can have a few hours of enjoyment”

Moving along to Snowball Mayhem, I laughed so hard that I had tears in my eyes after turning into a giant snowball rolling over my opponents. Again, I said thank you for making me laugh.

Next to the Bell Choir. I shook my head at the challenge of hand and eye coordination, laughed because I couldn’t believe how bad I was. I smiled when the person next to me played Jingle Bells. Then I realized how complex the programming must be for the Bell Choir. Taking upper/lower/middle ,programming not just for the correct notes, but harmony too. I said to myself , " well done, you smart buggers." I go back every day, to try again, I know I am terrible at it, but its fun.

Tixx Dungeons : Adorable, fun and a good time. Beautiful attention to detail. Being chased by toys, running around trying to paint little dolls, meeting new people. All around fun. I felt bad for destroying all the little models but if there is an achievement to be had, I will smash it

The Exploding Presents: OK some of the mobs were hard…. LOL. Nothing like being level 50 and being chased by little toys through Tyria. Something so wrong there.. the nightmares it will give me. I laughed at the rewards for the Ugly socks/sweaters/hat. I can remember many Christmas’ getting just that and I hope everyone who opened a Wintersday had a recollection of a previous Christmas and getting just that, ugly socks/sweater/hat. All though yes you can turn them in for rewards, I do think the reason why they choose those specific items, was for us to remember our past Christmas’ with family and friends. Thank you Anet for making me remember moments that were long forgotten.

Winter Wonderland. Jumping puzzles I am horrible at. The halloween on, haha, lets not go there :P. Like I said before, you could see the labor of love the design team had for this event. Wonderland reflects it. I was determined to get to the end. To stand beside the Red Star way across the horizon. After, ummm, over 100 attempts and I am not ashamed to admit it, I finally made it. Thank you Anet for challenging me.

The meaning of Christmas is giving. Bringing joy and happiness to another person, this is a selfless act. This is what Anet has done, given the community joy, fun, laughter and meeting new people, that were once strangers.

Now what can you do to give to Anet? Thank the team for giving you such that.

Signed, Toymaker’s Apprentice, Tya

in Wintersday

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

+1

Great job on the event Anet, it’s the best I have ever seen in any MMO I’ve played

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

in Wintersday

Posted by: Treeline.3865

Treeline.3865

The majority of posts I see, people demanding more.

FALSE – We don’t want more – We want to be able to play our way to what is there, which we currently are not.

The majority of posts I see, people demanding more. There is an over whelming attitude of gimme gimme and self entitlement.

FALSE – None of us feels entitled and you should see that. I’m not entirely sure how it is entitlement to state that in order to get the Quaggan + the 3 other pets from the mystery boxes, we don’t want to pay more than the game itself cost. It’s not a gimme gimme, it’s a HEY anet, if you actually made it available through a lesser variant of RNG, i would actually fetch my wallet, and everyone would be happy.

Anet did not have to create this event. Anet didn’t have to spend months, planning, modeling, uvmapping, texturing, rendering, animating or rigging. They did it in the spirit of what is Christmas. They wanted to give the community a fun event.

FALSE: They do have to make events like this, and you would know if you follow how many play the game during these events (It spikes to about double), and also of course they make a huge cash in with gemstore items. Don’t mistake “giving” with “business”.

Christmas is the season of giving.

TRUE: Then why are they reaching so hard into the wallets for people who do wish to support them, but also of course wants a bit, let’s say the minipets in return?

“Thank you for working so hard so I can have a few hours of enjoyment”

I’m glad you enjoy the game simply by visuals, really. These kind of people intrigue me. But personally i like collecting. That is what I enjoy. I put all my ingame money into collecting. The Karka event made it hard to get the 3 minis. Very hard. But now it is impossible. Even with all my time going into it. I do not feel entitled to these minipets. But i DO feel that if i work for it all christmas, i can earn them. But I can’t. Not without spending at least 50$, which is a bit much to ask for some minipets. I’d gladly give them say 15-20$ Is that being a cheapass, wanting to pay about 1/3rd of what i paid for the entire game, to get some random undersized monsters?

Moving along to Snowball Mayhem, I laughed so hard that I had tears in my eyes after turning into a giant snowball rolling over my opponents. Again, I said thank you for making me laugh.

I didn’t find it to be very fun, but I’m glad a lot of people liked it. No complaints, as other people seem to enjoy it, and I’m not forced to go there.

Then I realized how complex the programming must be for the Bell Choir. Taking upper/lower/middle ,programming not just for the correct notes, but harmony too.

It shouldn’t be so bad to be honest. Source, I study Software. It was fun for a game or two, admittedly. The game is problematic tho, because not everyone sits on a perfect internet connection, making it hard to hit within the time window.

Tixx Dungeons : Adorable, fun and a good time.

A bit of a grind, but the first, maybe the second day was fun, and the rewards were great, so no complaints really.

over 100 attempts and I am not ashamed to admit it, I finally made it. Thank you Anet for challenging me.

Problematic as well. I like a challenge too. This was not. It was perfect for some. It was too hard for others. I don’t personally have complaints, but from viewpoints of people not so good at jumping, I do see their issue. They should maybe consider to make an easy, medium and hard difficulty (Maybe also scaling rewards, but still giving achievements)

The meaning of Christmas is giving. Bringing joy and happiness to another person, this is a selfless act. This is what Anet has done,[…]

Doesn’t the forums state otherwise? How can you draw this conclusion, looking at the forum?

Now what can you do to give to Anet?.

My wallet it seems.

Leader of Heroes [Hero] – Seafarers Rest

in Wintersday

Posted by: Mandrax.7342

Mandrax.7342

The last few days I have been lurking here in the forum. Reading posts after post regarding the Wintersday Event. The majority of posts I see, people demanding more. There is an over whelming attitude of gimme gimme and self entitlement.

Anet did not have to create this event. Anet didn’t have to spend months, planning, modeling, uvmapping, texturing, rendering, animating or rigging. They did it in the spirit of what is Christmas. They wanted to give the community a fun event. Christmas is the season of giving. Not selfish behaviour as what I and many more reading these forums can see.

No, they did it to earn money. So far these events have been little more than a cash grab.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed parts of Halloween and Wintersday (Lost Shores was a fail IMO) but it is obvious to me that these events are just a money making scheme.

The very worst part of the last two events has been the gambling boxes. At least with Halloween you got a chance to get some good items from the Black Lion Chests which were actually dropped in-game. But with Lost Shores and Wintersday you have to actually spend gems on boxes that cannot drop in-game to get some nice items. It’s a rip off.

What more can you expect with Nexon running the cash shop though huh?

in Wintersday

tyaf.5296

This whole thing about the mini. Its a choice. ANet is NOT forcing you to buy them. That is your choice. Why come down on ANet because you have a desire to collect everything and take a gamble? I consider myself a collector but it was MY choice to purchase the boxes or not. ANet didn’t force me.The mini is just a novelty item and nor is it game breaking. Its a vanity pet. o.O. It even says in the description for the box, its a CHANCE. If you want to spend tons of money for a chance, that is YOUR choice. I am baffled as to why people are so upset over being NON FORCED. o.O. No where does it state you are guaranteed.

All i have read in your replys but one person. Is ANet does this ANet does that. They should have done this and they should have done that.

Just really slapping the faces of the developers. And no they do NOT have to provide an event. They could have just put everything on the Gem store. But wait, then everyone would explode because ANet didnt provide an event.

Re read the posts and threads the last 5 days its all gimme gimme gimme except for about handful of thank you and appreciation threads. Selfish behavior.

in Wintersday

Treeline.3865

This whole thing about the mini. Its a choice. ANet is NOT forcing you to buy them.

Right you are! Entirely! It is a choice! It is my choosing of a playstyle. I like to collect things, and no one is forcing me to do so. Now let’s turn that around. You are probably a PvE player. That is your choice. No one forces you to PvE, you might as well play WvW. Now if they started introducing gear only available through the gem store in the way these minipets are obtainable, would you be happy? Let me answer that for you – No you would not. You would say they are ruining the game PvE-wise.

Why come down on ANet because you have a desire to collect everything and take a gamble?

That’s a fallacy. I have a desire to collect everything. I do NOT have a desire to gamble. Most people don’t, and that is why it is an issue.
You can read this, if you still do not know what I mean: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1579a2/good_rng_vs_bad_rng/

The mini is just a novelty item and nor is it game breaking. Its a vanity pet. o.O.

Once again, if you are a collector, this is not novelty items. I did not state they broke the game either. But they broke a big part of it for collector type of players. Very few people enjoy the RNG content described in the Reddit thread linked.

It even says in the description for the box, its a CHANCE. If you want to spend tons of money for a chance, that is YOUR choice. I am baffled as to why people are so upset over being NON FORCED. o.O. No where does it state you are guaranteed.

We are all well aware of that. We know kitten well it’s chance. We don’t like it. But if we want to continue to collect all minis, then yes, we are forced. We are forced in that is is our playstyle. If a weapon with 9001 to all stats was released in the gemstore, and mobs were buffed after that, you would probably feel forced as well. You have to understand it is not a vanity item for all players. It is a playstyle – And not through spending over 50$ in the gemstore.

All i have read in your replys but one person. Is ANet does this ANet does that. They should have done this and they should have done that.

Yes?

Just really slapping the faces of the developers. And no they do NOT have to provide an event. They could have just put everything on the Gem store. But wait, then everyone would explode because ANet didnt provide an event.

They could – But new content is what keeps the game alive (/keeps players playing). If no one is online, no one is buying anything. Once again, look at how many players are online during events, compared to in between. It is business!

Re read the posts and threads the last 5 days its all gimme gimme gimme except for about handful of thank you and appreciation threads. Selfish behavior.

I have read most of them already thank you. It is not give me give me. Many of the threads contain legitimate concerns.

in Wintersday

tyaf.5296

Pets/Mini – Its all Vanity. Collector or not. I do more than PvE, but thanks for the judgement. New content does keep a game alive, but this isn’t permanent content…big difference. New maps, expansions,races/classes etc,. that keeps a game alive and moving forward not a 2 week long event.

I am sorry that you failed to miss the point of this thread. I am content with what I took a chance on. I am thankful for what ANet provided.

Merry Christmas

in Wintersday

Treeline.3865

Pets/Mini – Its all Vanity. Collector or not.

Yes and no. And we can agree to disagree, but you will still have to take into account that players exist with this mindset: It is a vanity item in the sense that it does not make you better in the game when it comes to killing anything. It is however NOT a vanity item in the sense that a minipet is part of a collection. We can skip the minis, and leave a gaping hole in our collection forever. If we had the time to rustle up 65$ – I’d be ok with it. If we knew they’d return next year – I’d be okay with it. If they increased the droprate – I’d be ok with it! If they were tradeable – I’d be ok with it! If the mystery boxes actually dropped, as said in patch notes – I’d be ok with it! But as it is, players are forced to hand over these 65$ in order to keep their beloved collection complete. If that sounds like vanity to you, the whole game is a vanity item.

Vanity – “Lack of usefulness, worth, or effect; worthlessness.”
Your meaning with vanity is, i assume, that it is not useful. But it is, with the right mindset. It is useful in the way that it is your token of "I managed to do X, therefore I have Y. But next to no one wants to say I managed to spend 65$, therefore I have the minipets. Don’t get me wrong here, I can live with minipets only available through the gemstore. But 65$! That’s more than the deluxe edition of the game cost me!

I do more than PvE, but thanks for the judgement. New content does keep a game alive, but this isn’t permanent content…big difference.

And I do more than collect minipets. It is still a big part of my game. On the content, what is the big difference exactly? It is seasonal content. You can expect most of it to return next December. So it is permanently accesible in December, just as well as Mad King probably will be permanent part of October.

New maps, expansions,races/classes etc,. that keeps a game alive and moving forward not a 2 week long event.

Once again, look at statistics. Look at how many players play at these events. Sure, a new map would do the same. It doesn’t matter – All that matters is that there are new things to do on regular basis. That it’s there for 2 weeks does not change this. It is still new content.

I am sorry that you failed to miss the point of this thread. I am content with what I took a chance on. I am thankful for what ANet provided.

I did obviously not miss the point – I have argued that your points were wrong and you know it. You are running out of arguments and you know it.

Merry Christmas to you too!

in Wintersday

Posted by: zombyturtle.5980

zombyturtle.5980

For kittens sake stop turning this thread into a whine there’s enough. If you don’t like chance boxes you might as well quit all MMO’s as they are fast becoming industry standard.

Yes it sucks for mini pet collectors but just be thankful that its not statistically superior weapons and armor in there like half the other korean mmos out there. Id take a mini gamble over a weapon gamble anyday.

OP: I also loved the event, even the toypocalypse. Fantastic

in Wintersday

tyaf.5296

Pets/Mini – Its all Vanity. Collector or not.

Yes and no. And we can agree to disagree, but you will still have to take into account that players exist with this mindset: It is a vanity item in the sense that it does not make you better in the game when it comes to killing anything. It is however NOT a vanity item in the sense that a minipet is part of a collection. We can skip the minis, and leave a gaping hole in our collection forever. If we had the time to rustle up 65$ – I’d be ok with it. If we knew they’d return next year – I’d be okay with it. If they increased the droprate – I’d be ok with it! If they were tradeable – I’d be ok with it! If the mystery boxes actually dropped, as said in patch notes – I’d be ok with it! But as it is, players are forced to hand over these 65$ in order to keep their beloved collection complete. If that sounds like vanity to you, the whole game is a vanity item.

Vanity – “Lack of usefulness, worth, or effect; worthlessness.”
Your meaning with vanity is, i assume, that it is not useful. But it is, with the right mindset. It is useful in the way that it is your token of "I managed to do X, therefore I have Y. But next to no one wants to say I managed to spend 65$, therefore I have the minipets. Don’t get me wrong here, I can live with minipets only available through the gemstore. But 65$! That’s more than the deluxe edition of the game cost me!

I do more than PvE, but thanks for the judgement. New content does keep a game alive, but this isn’t permanent content…big difference.

And I do more than collect minipets. It is still a big part of my game. On the content, what is the big difference exactly? It is seasonal content. You can expect most of it to return next December. So it is permanently accesible in December, just as well as Mad King probably will be permanent part of October.

New maps, expansions,races/classes etc,. that keeps a game alive and moving forward not a 2 week long event.

Once again, look at statistics. Look at how many players play at these events. Sure, a new map would do the same. It doesn’t matter – All that matters is that there are new things to do on regular basis. That it’s there for 2 weeks does not change this. It is still new content.

I did obviously not miss the point – I have argued that your points were wrong and you know it. You are running out of arguments and you know it.

Merry Christmas to you too!

This post wasn’t about arguing… it was about how much fun I personally had and was tired of seeing all the self entitlement flooding the forums. Yes, you have missed the point. It’s the season of giving and being self-less. You have sat here and picked apart everything about this event, and that is unfortunate for you. You don’t like it or how ANet did the mini. Don’t buy it. Its just like the lottery. You are not guaranteed to win. Nothing is owed to you.

Maybe you should take a moment and actually enjoy the event for what it is, fun for the whole community.

in Wintersday

Posted by: TommyProvolone.3715

TommyProvolone.3715

People will always complain, no matter how ridiculous it is. Once Wintersday ends, people will forget about it and move on to another issue, and continue to believe that ANET is out to steal their parent’s credi-.. I mean wallet.

in Wintersday

Treeline.3865

For kittens sake stop turning this thread into a whine there’s enough. If you don’t like chance boxes you might as well quit all MMO’s as they are fast becoming industry standard.

Yes it sucks for mini pet collectors but just be thankful that its not statistically superior weapons and armor in there like half the other korean mmos out there. Id take a mini gamble over a weapon gamble anyday.

If you have to use whine as an excuse, please do explain to me why it is whine. For me it is as bad as superior weapons and armor.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Falleo.1362

Falleo.1362

Love the evnet so much Gj Anet!

in Wintersday

Treeline.3865

This post wasn’t about arguing… it was about how much fun I personally had

Yes! Now we are getting somewhere. If your post wasn’t about arguing, please remove the intro with all the comments about ArenaNet not having to do anything, and that they are doing it of the kindness of their hearts etc etc. You are stating it all as facts. And I think you are wrong. Then it becomes a debate. If you don’t want a debate, keep it to your personal experience. Leave out the opinions. Otherwise it is a debate.

and was tired of seeing all the self entitlement flooding the forums.

If self-entitlement is a degrading word for the legitimate concerns out there, you are absolutely right. I’m tired of it too. But it will stay there, until it is adressed. You can refer to the Lost Shores weekend if you have doubts. People haven’t forgotten about that yet.

Yes, you have missed the point. It’s the season of giving and being self-less. You have sat here and picked apart everything about this event, and that is unfortunate for you.

I have not. You may refer to the first post i made, replying to the original post. I have picked apart the bits about ArenaNet being so good for giving us free content etc., because I disagree with your opinion (stated as facts).

Maybe you should take a moment and actually enjoy the event for what it is, fun for the whole community.

Pointless comment, but ok; I am enjoying the event, and I have played it. I like the content. This does not change the concern over the minipets though.

in Wintersday

Posted by: TommyProvolone.3715

TommyProvolone.3715

If you have to use whine as an excuse, please do explain to me why it is whine. For me it is as bad as superior weapons and armor.

Really? You think that pets that provide no in-game advantage over other players and do not divide playerbase between those that pay and those that don’t, is just as bad as weapons and armor that provide an in-game advantage and divide the playerbase between those that pay and those that don’t?

Okay then.

in Wintersday

tyaf.5296

Then, take your complaint about the mini pet out of my appreciation thread This thread was not started so people can chime in and add their 2cents complaining. Its for those that appreciate what was given.

I will say this and it is directed at you Treeline- i would hate to be the person who gives you a Christmas present and all you felt was cheated or disappointed.

For those that are concerned come together as a community. Write a letter, have it signed by those who are concerned and keep it in one thread. Voicing your concern all over the place doesn’t help your argument or stance. It makes you look like spoiled self-entitled brats.

The Rolling Stones – You Can’t Always Get What You Want. Listen to it sometime

Again, Merry Christmas.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Going back to the OP’s gracious thanks: Yes. I’ve played holiday events in many a game and ANet has delivered fun in spades. They clearly love their product and want us to love it too.

Which I do. Thank you, ANet. You’ve made my holidays brighter.

in Wintersday

Treeline.3865

Really? You think that pets that provide no in-game advantage over other players and do not divide playerbase between those that pay and those that don’t, is just as bad as weapons and armor that provide an in-game advantage and divide the playerbase between those that pay and those that don’t?

Okay then.

Now that isn’t entirely what I said. For me – Yes you are correct. I don’t care much for PvE content, just as a lot of players don’t care for minipets. For 99% of the community – No. In that case it is much worse because they would see their way of playing being much much harder, if they do not want to spend a lot of money to keep playing the way they used to.

in Wintersday

Treeline.3865

Then, take your complaint about the mini pet out of my appreciation thread This thread was not started so people can chime in and add their 2cents complaining. Its for those that appreciate what was given.

I will say this and it is directed at you Treeline- i would hate to be the person who gives you a Christmas present and all you felt was cheated or disappointed.

For those that are concerned come together as a community. Write a letter, have it signed by those who are concerned and keep it in one thread. Voicing your concern all over the place doesn’t help your argument or stance. It makes you look like spoiled self-entitled brats.

Again, Merry Christmas.

It’s a deal! The christmas present is not a fair comparison. A Christmas present is (or should be) a selfless act. The giver does not neccessarily recieve anything in return. For my style of play, ArenaNet is asking a whole lot in return. I’m split in the last part you wrote, but I’ll keep the arguments for now.

- If you remove/rephrase the first 7 lines and the last 4 (Excluding the /signed line ofc) I’ll remove all my posts and be out of here
- Edit: Including posts discussing with others if you want.

(edited by Treeline.3865)

in Wintersday

tyaf.5296

Again, Merry Christmas.

It’s a deal! The christmas present is not a fair comparison. A Christmas present is (or should be) a selfless act. The giver does not neccessarily recieve anything in return. For my style of play, ArenaNet is asking a whole lot in return. I’m split in the last part you wrote, but I’ll keep the arguments for now.

- If you remove/rephrase the first 7 lines and the last 4 (Excluding the /signed line ofc) I’ll remove all my posts and be out of here
- Edit: Including posts discussing with others if you want.

Sigh. The point of the thread. ANet didnt have to create an event. They could have just put everything on the gem store.

ANet didnt have spend countless hours/days/months designing this event. They did it for you, for me, for the whole community. Lets do something cool for the community. I could see the developers sitting there, coming up with ideas, what would make us laugh, what the community as a whole would enjoy. Oh how i would have loved to be in those meetings. That is a selfless act.

What you fail to see is how complex it is to create these events. Its not like playing with legos. What you fail to see are those employees that worked overtime, missed dinners with their families,time with their children, the list is endless. You know why? To bring YOU a fun event. That is a selfless act.

Is it that hard for you to take a moment and say “Hey, thank you. I appreciate it.” Maybe with the money you are spending on gems to get all your minis, take what you have left of your real life funds and donate it to a charity. There are those at this time of year who have nothing, not even a bed to sleep in. And all you can do is rant on a virtual vanity toy. Perspective my friend.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Car.3805

Car.3805

What you fail to see is how complex it is to create these events. Its not like playing with legos. What you fail to see are those employees that worked overtime, missed dinners with their families,time with their children, the list is endless. You know why? To bring YOU a fun event. That is a selfless act.

Uh…don’t you think you’re going a little too far with that statement? I sure as heck hope they got paid well if they did any of that :P

But I will say thanks for the event; I am enjoying it a great deal.

in Wintersday

Treeline.3865

Sigh. The point of the thread. ANet didnt have to create an event. They could have just put everything on the gem store.

They could, yes. But once again, there would only be half the players around to buy these items. The number of play hours double when these events happen. If the chests and whatnot aren’t part of a bigger event, they won’t sell as much. It’s a business. It’s like Casinoes telling people they can come gamble, and the first 20$ is on the house. It only pans out because it lures people in, and most people spend more than the first 20$. It is pure business. They do have to create events.

They did it for you, for me, for the whole community. Lets do something cool for the community. I could see the developers sitting there, coming up with ideas, what would make us laugh, what the community as a whole would enjoy. Oh how i would have loved to be in those meetings. That is a selfless act.

And that is an opinion right there. I can see them too. And I’m sure they are living their dream – Designer on a major MMO. I drool. And if I was in that chair, I would try to please my community too. That doesn’t make me selfless. It is a job. You make content that the community enjoy, or you don’t have a community. And then you have no income. You don’t see any MMO’s doing very well without ever patching their game up with new things.

Selfless (adj): Having, exhibiting, or motivated by no concern for oneself
You really think the drive is selfless goodness?

That sure is a leap right there, I’d like to see some source on ArenaNets working hours to accept that statement (Good luck!). Once again though it depends on motivation. If they worked overtime etc etc to recieve a huge end-of-the-year cash in, it is not selfless. And they ARE getting a huge cash in.

Is it that hard for you to take a moment and say “Hey, thank you. I appreciate it.”

No, it is not. I did it at Halloween. I loved the hide and seek game. Incredibly fun. But right now I have concerns. If they solve the concerns, I’ll write them a “thank you for listening to the community” thread. It’s quite logical really. I simply write what is on my mind.

Maybe with the money you are spending on gems to get all your minis, take what you have left of your real life funds and donate it to a charity. There are those at this time of year who have nothing, not even a bed to sleep in. And all you can do is rant on a virtual vanity toy. Perspective my friend.

I like this. It’s a nice way to avoid calling me self-entitled. Completely off topic, but nevertheless quite fun.