Toypocalypse Achievement in a PuG is difficult

in Wintersday

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

So you are put in a group with random people (Who may or may not do whatever they like) and you’re meant to build siege/defend the dolyaks…you get some siege going and everything is going alright but then overpowered Toxx comes along and kills all the dolyaks and/or siege ignoring all party members. Was able to get the 10 rounds, but all Dolyaks kept alive, really? That’s a bit difficult for a holiday achievement for a PuG teamwork event :/

[Thread title edited by moderator for clarity.]

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

(edited by Moderator)

in Wintersday

Posted by: Einsof.1457

Einsof.1457

build walls and snowmen to protect the siege

in Wintersday

Posted by: MethodicMockingbird.6520

MethodicMockingbird.6520

I just did it on my second try. It’s really not that hard.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Wrinn.1802

Wrinn.1802

Yup, you just need a descent group and if they played any Tower Defense game, it’s a snap. Just did it myself on the 2nd try.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Xavori.3768

Xavori.3768

Toxx rips right through walls and siege. He’s pretty much a reset on your construction.

Best trick I figured out was to build mini forts away from the dolyaks once you get decent stuff around them. Set up a megacatapult, a couple snowmen by the catapult, then a couple ballistas watching the catapult and snowmen from behind. This setup totally distracts anything that gets within range of the catapult, so lots.

But as for Toxx…no idea…he just goes where he wants, and if that’s into your dolyak fortifications, well, that sucks.

Hey I just met you – And this is crazy –
But here’s my body – So rez me maybe?

in Wintersday

Fay.2735

build walls and snowmen to protect the siege

We had the entire place build up like a fortress with walls, snowmen, other siege. Like I said Toxx came along, ignored all of us, went straight for the dolyaks whirlwinding all the siege equipment destroyed before we could kill/stop her. If she at least aggrod on someone then we can stop her from going into the centre but she just kept going.

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

in Wintersday

Posted by: Einsof.1457

Einsof.1457

Yup, you just need a descent group and if they played any Tower Defense game, it’s a snap. Just did it myself on the 2nd try.

ditto, got both achievs with ease 2nd try.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Asytra.8172

Asytra.8172

Yup, you just need a descent group.

So then why can’t we just bring in our group of friends… you know.. from our Guilds…in this Guild Wars game?

Feh… Between this, Keg Brawl, the other holiday minigames, and sPVP I’m getting fed up with this forced PUG grouping mentality.

What’s next, forced PUG dungeons?

in Wintersday

MethodicMockingbird.6520

So then why can’t we just bring in our group of friends… you know.. from our Guilds…in this Guild Wars game?

Feh… Between this, Keg Brawl, the other holiday minigames, and sPVP I’m getting fed up with this forced PUG grouping mentality.

We have those; they’re called Fractals.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Barfoi.9537

Barfoi.9537

Just finished with five yaks almost at full health, and the only major issue (aside from knowing what to do) was making sure Toxx didn’t get near them. You can get aggro pretty easily, however, and keep him outside for the entire fight. Once he spawns, just don’t all stand inside the center. :-)

in Wintersday

Posted by: Feycat.4370

Feycat.4370

No they’re not, I’ve never done Fractals with a PuG. You aren’t automatically ripped out of your group and placed in a PuG with Fractals, but you are with this.

Game enjoyment increases as time spent on the forums decreases.

in Wintersday

Posted by: populationcontrol.5072

populationcontrol.5072

Second try also, and funny enough, we didnt even communicate or plan this as a team lol.

Building siege and upgrading it is the key.
Make sure you feed the weakest dollies with the hay that spawns after toxx is dead.

in Wintersday

MethodicMockingbird.6520

No they’re not, I’ve never done Fractals with a PuG. You aren’t automatically ripped out of your group and placed in a PuG with Fractals, but you are with this.

I beg to differ. If you want to advance at all in your Fractal line and aren’t in a very large guild or two (or have extensive friend networks), then every group is going to be a PuG because of the different Fractal levels making it unlikely that many people you know will be at your level (unless you know a lot of people).

in Wintersday

Posted by: Kalea.9167

Kalea.9167

No, really. Why CAN’T we play with friends on this one?

Sure, I can somewhat understand it on snowball fight; you don’t want to skew the teams too heavily so that you get steamrolled over and over again by powerful teams. </sarcasm>

But on this one, where it is player vs. AI? Seriously, it’s a holiday festive event, why can’t you let us enjoy it with friends and guildmates?

Instead, we’re all in vent, talking about clear and obvious winning strategies, and how other players on our teams won’t cooperate, and one lucky person gets a good team. The rest of us are stuck with teams that can’t get it right, and how many rounds do I want to sit here and do this event when I have real life obligations to prepare for?

Building snow forts would be FUN if in fact I could actually build a fort with people… but I am also getting fed up with the general forced pug mentality. In some instances I can understand it for “fairness.” But if we can provide enough people for two teams, and we’re not “throwing games,” then why can’t we go have fun together just like the good old days?

You wonder why keg brawl is a ghost yard? Aside from the achievements being bugged?…

Silly to put in so much effort to create fun and unique experiences, and then not to let us share them with our friends.

in Wintersday

Posted by: krixis.9538

krixis.9538

step 1. build 2-3 layers of snow walls infront of the cows

step 2. build insane ammount of balistas and 1 or 2 catapults per bunch of balasita,

step 3. stay in middle when tox comes and spam the rifles (u get regain) set #1 to auto

step 4. have 3 -4 ppl defend the middle with 1-2 ppl running about getting snow and scrap

step 5. get lucky and have non kitten people in the group.

Desolation EU
Fractal lvl 80 – 126 AR

in Wintersday

Posted by: Ewon.5903

Ewon.5903

This achievement is going to drive me insane….

I want to build a team for this! I’ll be pugging it anyway, but I’d like to know my team is actually trying for this achievement.

in Wintersday

Posted by: maxztt.3289

maxztt.3289

I did it on my first try. It’s not hard at all. You just need snow walls.

I found it a bit sad, that the structures disappeared after a certain time and did not stay until they were destroyed though. Also the repairing does not seem to work.

in Wintersday

Posted by: UncrushablePigeon.8760

UncrushablePigeon.8760

Try having Toxx run away from the spot where you were kiting her and go berserk trying to kill the dolyaks, ignoring all the players and unable to be pulled away. Then tell me it’s not hard. Maybe if Anet didn’t encode that golem to focus on ruining the achievement it would be easier.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Parvati.5780

Parvati.5780

I did it with a pug 4th go, with only 4 players, 1 dropped for some reason. What we did was:

1. Build snow walls multiple times around ALL the dolyaks. Monsters had no way into the dolyaks and could only try aoe them.
2. Put lots of snowmen, catapults, ballists down. In front of the snow walls. Upgraded them too.

When we had that up, we randomly started putting ballistas and snowmen up around the map.

And feeding the dolyaks hay to heal them when they needed it. Which was not often.

Really easy.

(edited by Parvati.5780)

in Wintersday

Posted by: Harbinger.1983

Harbinger.1983

Second try, did it with full health dolyaks, i really dont see the problem if you get a competent team ( yes i know its a RANDOM team)

We just focused on building siege like crazy nonstop, our map looked like a weapons black market selling ground :P

Oh and extra tip, HIRE the dam Skirt mercenairs that are hidding on one side of the map, they are like unstopable unkilable death dealing machines, they cost 3 scraps each

about the boss, if hes getting to the midle its your own fault dont fight in near the midle, as soon as he pops 2 of us intercepted him before he got to the midle and just played with him away from the map center while the rest of the team builded 9000 siege weapons XD

i to tough this was madness the first time i got in, second time, was a walk in the park and i had fun go figure….

in Wintersday

Posted by: Mathim Caim.8930

Mathim Caim.8930

You only have to worry about it at the beginning since then you don’t have enough defense. Remember also the Hay you can pick up will heal the Dolyaks, 4 spawns after each Toxx I think. With that said if you are having trouble with Toxx attacking Dolyaks I suggest all going the Candy Cane and spamming skill 2 and 3 to stun him (try to get skill 2 off when he can be stunned since its better).

Also if you are getting close to Toxx spawn try placing siege weapons all over not just towards the middle. In the end of the match I got the Achievements we had several hubs of siege all over to kill the waves instantly on spawn.

“The brightest flame casts the darkest shadow.”

in Wintersday

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

Took me a handfull of attempts to find a group that worked well together ..got the achievment wihtout any problems. By wave 3 we had an impenitrable defense and the dolyaks were never touched after that.

So ong as u keep the boss away from ur defenses u dont need ot owrry about it destroying them all.

By the time i finished we had defense everywhere on the map ..the toys spawned and split up and were demolished.

Its like any Tower Defense game ..hard at the start ..alot easier as u get a foothold.

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

in Wintersday

Posted by: Cthulhu.1432

Cthulhu.1432

Took me a handfull of attempts to find a group that worked well together ..got the achievment wihtout any problems. By wave 3 we had an impenitrable defense and the dolyaks were never touched after that.

So ong as u keep the boss away from ur defenses u dont need ot owrry about it destroying them all.

By the time i finished we had defense everywhere on the map ..the toys spawned and split up and were demolished.

Its like any Tower Defense game ..hard at the start ..alot easier as u get a foothold.

Try to get fresh starting dungeon first -.-

in Wintersday

Posted by: HelperMonkey.1056

HelperMonkey.1056

Maybe I was lucky, but my first PUG – got through it no problem. Even with virtually no communication until 4/10 waves.

Simply put: built walls around the dolyaks and made sure they were connected as straight as possible (otherwise mobs can get through)

After walls were finished, we were building siege weapons on a fairly even ballista to catapult ratio, but with 1 snowmen for every 2 of the others.

I used a cap rifle since I seemed to kill mobs faster than the others with different weapons. Use skill 3 if the toys swarm a crucial siege weapon or wall to push them back. In between spawns, destroy structures and build more.

During Toxx, NEVER let the person who has aggro stay center – otherwise: goodbye siege weapons, walls, and then dolyaks. We kited him while others rebuilt defenses. Then focused on killing him about 1 minute after while others still maintained the center defense. Having people attack Toxx from the center is a huge risk, because it’s very easy for him to switch targets, rush, then use his AoE.

Use the hay on any weakened Dolyaks after Toxx is gone.

Pretty much repeat that over until all 10 waves are done. The waves didn’t seem to get harder at all all the way up to 10, so no change in tactics really is necessary.

My PUG nailed it first go – lucky perhaps.

in Wintersday

Posted by: WaystedMined.7831

WaystedMined.7831

I’m sick of being stuck with PUGs who place the walls sideways instead in a useful pattern. Who don’t help upgrade/build throughout the round. Forcing me to PUG instead of play with my friends was a stupid decision.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Parvati.5780

Parvati.5780

I’m sick of being stuck with PUGs who place the walls sideways instead in a useful pattern. Who don’t help upgrade/build throughout the round. Forcing me to PUG instead of play with my friends was a stupid decision.

The alternative is: it ends up like the tixx dungeon (having to LFG) and far less people would be able to get it completed.

It’s not hard to do anyway and it’s fun after the 3rd/4th round.

in Wintersday

Fay.2735

I just got lucky and completed the achievement with a good PuG, good luck to those less fortunate in this PuG gamble. They really need to make such mini-games with guilds and parties in mind. Just getting sick of having to share the fun stuff with strangers rather than friends.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Amos.8760

Amos.8760

My turret is so much better at this game than I am.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Laufey.5129

Laufey.5129

Hm, I got lucky and managed to do it with the first PUG I ended up with. Zero communication, but it wasn’t really necessary. As others have said, just put walls all around the dolyaks and build lots of siege weapons, try to draw Toxx away from the middle. (Though he doesn’t seem to be as much of a death sentence for the dolyaks as others have suggested. He was right next to one of the dolyaks several times and didn’t manage to kill it.)

That said, I do wish I could have done it with friends while chatting with them on Skype/TS/etc. It would have felt a lot less like a drag towards the end, I think.

in Wintersday

Fay.2735

I just tried doing it again to help out but nobody was talking or listening to what I was saying they were all just standing in the centre using their weapons and not building siege/defenses and also kiting toxx in the centre x.x

in Wintersday

Posted by: Ishtar.6457

Ishtar.6457

Worse are the pug that think toy gun solve everything and siege doesn’t help. they only keep counting how many kill they got. and when we told them it doesn’t matter how much kill they got, they got angry lol. just lol. stupidity at it’s finest.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Braxxis.7062

Braxxis.7062

We got the achievement on our very first attempt at Toypocalypse. Everyone messed around the first wave while we figured stuff out.

• Then we built one tight wall of snow between the Dolyaks and the outer ring, with only one opening for us to run in and heal if needed.
  • We surrounded that wall with Catapults.
  • We spent a large chunk of the first Toxx fight with 2 people kiting him, 1 of us upgrading said walls and Catapults, and 2 people building another wall along the outer edge of the ring.
  • Then we had 3 people fighting toys while 2 people upgraded outer walls and built Ballista’s inside the ring between the inner and outer walls.
  • During the next Toxx fight 3 people kited him, 2 people upgraded ballista’s and built Snowmen outside the outer wall.
  • We then had 4 of us sit back with Rifles and blow up Toys and 1 person running around rebuilding any walls that were destroyed, which weren’t many.

Now, I will acknowledge that most groups simply will not come together and click like that, but it is a possibility.

Nahla Lisandril / Ashelia Morin / Craulk
Yolaine / Orindine / Maliasera
~ Among the Ashes [Dust] ~

in Wintersday

SolarNova.1052

All this talk is now irrelivant .Anet are making the achievment EZ mode now .. All u need do is complete it with 1 dolyak surviving which is rediculusly easy no matter what group u have.

TY Anet for turning what was a worthy achievment to nothing more than footnote.

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

in Wintersday

Posted by: alemfi.5107

alemfi.5107

2nd try fairly easy once you know to build seige/fortifications and upgrade.

When ground-targetted bone minion explosions become a thing, I will change this signature.- 2013
http://twitch.tv/alemfi/

in Wintersday

Posted by: rgrwng.4072

rgrwng.4072

with all the fuss i am reading now about it, i don’t know if i should attempt it when i get home from work tonight…

in Wintersday

Posted by: Clorox Sour.5142

Clorox Sour.5142

I got it first try. It’s jut like tower defense.

in Wintersday

SolarNova.1052

Since my 1st completion i have done it another 3 times one after the other in different groups without loosing a single dolyak AND wihtout any1 in group saying a word.

Its obviosly getting easier as time goes by as more and more people learn how to play effectivly.

Why Anet see’s fit to nerf the achievment, to make it even easier, i dont know. I seriosly cant fathom their mindset somtimes .

Every group i;ve been in we pritty much ignor walls for the most part ..we do build a couple here and there at the start to help keep certain dolyaks that the toy s ike going after out of harms way but mainly we just build a load of balista’s , snowmen , and catapults.

No need for special tactic like walling of certain areas ..build enough turrets and the toys dont get a chance to get near the dolyaks :P

(edited by SolarNova.1052)

in Wintersday

Posted by: Oranisagu.3706

Oranisagu.3706

Since my 1st completion i have done it another 3 times one after the other in different groups without loosing a single dolyak AND wihtout any1 in group saying a word.

Its obviosly getting easier as time goes by as more and more people learn how to play effectivly.

Why Anet see’s fit to nerf the achievment, to make it even easier, i dont know. I seriosly cant fathom their mindset somtimes .

Every group i;ve been in we pritty much ignor walls for the most part ..we do build a couple here and there at the start to help keep certain dolyaks that the toy s ike going after out of harms way but mainly we just build a load of balista’s , snowmen , and catapults.

No need for special tactic like walling of certain areas ..build enough turrets and the toys dont get a chance to get near the dolyaks :P

I do think the achievement should be changed, just to make sure people wouldn’t leave as soon as the first dolyak dies and thus ruin the game for the rest of the players.

but I agree with the ‘no strategy necessary’ part. the only thing necessary, is that everyone builds and upgrades stuff (walls not even necessary, snowman is quite good). if that happens, you pretty much win for sure. the first round I played, 3 people only ever fought the minis by themself. me and another guy were building up the defenses, but it just wasn’t enough. the scoring system is pretty stupid, as it only takes direct kills into account, I always got the lowest score. I don’t really care, but some people obviously did =)

aside from having a stupid team, which can happen but probably wont more than once or twice in a row, the event is pretty fun and a bit challenging (especially when toxx manages to take out a quarter of your defenses with his aoe) but not overly so.
being constantly in battle and walking like a snail is annoying though. I wish there was a forager weapon, which granted speed and allowed destruction of stuff, but not fighting against toys..

in Wintersday

Posted by: Frank.7452

Frank.7452

I’ve done this without losing a dolyak twice now. Just build things wherever you find the supplies, and make walls near the spawn points of the toys— they will attack the pointless walls and stay still for the catapults.

The worst idea is build everything in the middle, or in tight groupings anywhere. The Ventari AoE will destroy clusters of things, and any defense in the middle draws enemies towards the dolyaks. All you need in the middle are walls.

If you just drop siege where you find the supplies, you’ll build more siege overall. Catapults have crazy range.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Kithros.7634

Kithros.7634

It doesn’t matter what you build or where you build it (within reason) – if you spam siege, you will win pretty much. Actually trying to fight with the weapons is a complete waste of time (except against Toxx of course). To me it seems like fighting the mobs is the only reason to fail.

in Wintersday

Posted by: neon.4863

neon.4863

It’s not too hard if you get lucky with your group, but if you don’t, then yeah, it is. I landed a good group on my 6th try (23rd if you count the times I joined groups that had already lost dollies). And I did quit every time we lost a yak, which honestly, is poor sportsmanship, but I didn’t want to play until the end when it takes 30-50 minutes and I wouldn’t get the achievement.

I agree with ANet’s decision to make the achievement “easy mode” because it addresses the issue of group-hopping until you find a group with the 5 yaks still alive. Particularly because they’ve stated they aren’t able to make it so you can go with a party or your guildies (which would’ve been the preferred solution).

But yes, it is possible to get a “stupid team” more than once or twice in a row. Maybe I just got really unlucky finding a coordinated team though.

in Wintersday

Posted by: BaZomic.8392

BaZomic.8392

Neon you didn’t get unlucky, I’ve tried about double you and I’ve still haven’t found a good group.

GW2 for the win!

in Wintersday

Posted by: Spikel.4967

Spikel.4967

I did this 1st try… not that difficult. just have to communicate well.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

I did it first try, and didnt even communicate…

It was really easy. A single person just spamming snowmen and catalputs everywhere (not on the dolyaks, where the kits spawn, thats it) seems to do the trick just fine.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

in Wintersday

Posted by: neon.4863

neon.4863

Neon you didn’t get unlucky, I’ve tried about double you and I’ve still haven’t found a good group.

Ouch. Good luck finding one… I have to agree that it’s not hard when you find a group that knows what they’re doing or a group that doesn’t but is willing to listen/learn. The group I did it with had actually just lost all yaks in the very first round – all I had to do was go in and tell people to build siege and it went smoothly from there. They were curious about things, too – like how many times you could upgrade siege, whether that made it better or just repaired and so forth. We only got about 200 points total so none of us really cared about points, which helped.