Toypocalypse Cancelled. How we did it!

in Wintersday

Posted by: Amos.8760

Amos.8760

The way we got the achievement (on my first full run) is as follows:

– Snow is used ONLY for wall building. No snowmen.
– Set up walls in between the pillars in the middle. Set them even with the OUTER edge of the pillars, so that melee hits cannot reach the Dolyaks. We set them up too close one time, and the ’yaks were getting hit through the walls. We were able to completely wall the area off with three walls in between each pillar, and about 6-7 in the large gap on the north side. (EDIT: Another viable method I am hearing is to place walls around the outer edge of the circle, but only at the ramps where they can get up. I haven’t tried this, so I can’t comment on it’s effectiveness, but it seems they would obscure catapult and ballista lines of sight.)
– When upgrading a wall, be sure to face the wall straight on when upgrading, because the wall will move perpendicular to you when you upgrade it. This is a blessing and a curse because you can either turn walls into place that were not set up well, or you can turn a wall sideways that was already well placed.
– Set up Ballistas/Catapults at regular intervals around the outer edge of the circle. Upgrade as needed.
– Do not upgrade walls until their health gets low. Then upgrading them will heal them as well.
– Ignore the mortars at the edge of the map. They require a person to control them and are slow and awkward.
– Have your team get rifles and shoot from inside/atop the walls at the enemy waves.
– Designate two people to always be on wall/snow duty. You can stockpile snow behind your walls by hitting the weapon switch button to drop the bundle. The other three people should always be fighting or building weapons.
– When fighting Toxx, everyone gets rifles and shoots from OUTSIDE the circle. Keep Toxx out of the middle!

Hope this helps some people out!

My turret is so much better at this game than I am.

(edited by Amos.8760)

in Wintersday

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

You managed this with a group of randomers?

Hat’s off to you sir and/or madam.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

in Wintersday

Amos.8760

Yes. They were all random. I told them we’d get the achievement if they did just what I said, and they followed my orders …for the most part. A couple times it was frustrating to see snowmen when I was scrounging for snow to rebuild walls.

EDIT: I ended up calling out repairs to weapons as needed by designating north as 12 o’clock, and after that just typing out “repair weapon 3,” “repair wall 10,” etc.

(edited by Amos.8760)

in Wintersday

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

My team got the achievement as well.

We were a lot more disorganized, so it should be possible for everyone when more people get the hang of it.

Just so long as people realize they should be building rather than shooting the entire time.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Don’t forget the hay after you kill Toxx. This can make all the difference if the cows are damaged badly.

Just did this as well with random people. Great fun and doable if you’re not grouped with complete idiots.

Gone to Reddit.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Finjala.3401

Finjala.3401

My group had some nice walls build. Then comes the big golem and destroys both the walls and 2 Dolyaks inside (who were at 75% health) in one go while we try to kill him

in Wintersday

Posted by: puppetmancer.4679

puppetmancer.4679

Don’t forget the hay after you kill Toxx. This can make all the difference if the cows are damaged badly.

Just did this as well with random people. Great fun and doable if you’re not grouped with complete idiots.

Unfortunately that seems to be 80% of the people.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Clark Skinner.4902

Clark Skinner.4902

Sounds great! Let’s make a group and— oh wait.

in Wintersday

Amos.8760

My group had some nice walls build. Then comes the big golem and destroys both the walls and 2 Dolyaks inside (who were at 75% health) in one go while we try to kill him

You’ll want to engage Toxx ASAP when he appears. Hit him at range, and always be away from the middle. He only got near the middle once for us.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Rakuren Kenshou.7689

Rakuren Kenshou.7689

I got it with a random group as well. Second group. The first one died pretty early and said it was stupid, but that was because they built no turrets.

In the second game we won with no Dolyaks killed and meanwhile only two “orders” were stated.

“Lead Toxx away from Dolyaks” and “North side is weak”.

While the above strategy is sound, the wall thing is not necessary. A HUGE thing though is that at least 1 player per round needs to be dedicated to gathering materials and building turrets. With enough turrets, enemies die before they even come near the circle. Healing turrets and Dolyaks is super important too.

Regardless of it being a bit easy (with turrets), it was a LOT of fun.

“I reject your reality and substitute my own.”

in Wintersday

Posted by: Frohawk.2158

Frohawk.2158

I Just spent first 5 mins building wall to block off access to dolyaks, then on the outskirts just quick built catapults in groups of 5 near the spawn points with a snowman or 2 to distract if any came through. after round 8 the whole map was just catapults.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Kethryes.5712

Kethryes.5712

Did it on 2nd try. I expected it to be difficult with random people, but I guess I got lucky with my group.

Basically allways build something except when Tox is here. Walls around Doylacs, catapult and turets evenly placed all around. When tox is here take the rifle, go away from the middle and shot her repetedly, you can take the aggro fairly easily and pull her away so that she does not destroy the turets.

One Doylack lost 1/3 of his life at the beggining, and then they were never hit again for the rest of the game !

in Wintersday

Posted by: Kaderin.7584

Kaderin.7584

Sadly the point is moot when one single unluckily targeted by toxx player drags him to the middle and all dolyaks die.

Anet did a fun challenge but expected a random group to do it without possibility to party -.-

in Wintersday

Posted by: Safari.3021

Safari.3021

We found the best way was to build siege everywhere, spread it all around and about the entire map, upgrading it all while you can, the toys went to attack the siege rather than the dolyaks. We started off with walls around the inner circle and some ballistas and snowmen on the outer ring, but then just built everywhere.

Not one dolyak lost health

in Wintersday

Posted by: cidcid.6730

cidcid.6730

just completed it a few minutes ago we didnt talk a lot but everyone knew what he/she needed to do

though we had some incredible luck we killed toxx just in time at her 3th spawn otherwise a dolyak would’ve been killed

also a tip to players that want to get achievements dont yell at your group or use all caps in chat i had someone that did that on my 2nd run and it will only annoy people resulting in failure and everyone leaving

in Wintersday

Posted by: Urthona.3198

Urthona.3198

Another tip is to avoid killing Toxx for as long as possible (while keeping her out of the center, of course.) Have a couple people kite her while the rest of the team rebuilds their defenses.

I got the achievement on the third try. It can be done!

in Wintersday

Amos.8760

Another tip is to avoid killing Toxx for as long as possible (while keeping her out of the center, of course.) Have a couple people kite her while the rest of the team rebuilds their defenses.

Not a bad idea!

in Wintersday

Posted by: ConterK.3972

ConterK.3972

Srsly.. this is not that hard..

Srsly.. this is not that hard..i did it with randoms.. and we were just building siege like crazy!!
dolyaks were never even under half hp..

Srsly.. this is not that hard..i did it with randoms.. and we were just building siege like crazy!!
dolyaks were never even under half hp..siege and walls like crazy around dolyaks… and dont let toxx go rampage near them.. easy..

in Wintersday

Posted by: GamerToukotsu.4219

GamerToukotsu.4219

This is the biggest tip anyone can ever give you, keep Toxx alive as long as possible and just fortify fortify fortify. As long as people kite him, you can produce enough catas and balistas to kill toys in one shot. Its hilarious whenever you are looking at 75+ cata/balista firing in one direction.

Illusory Ally [TFD]
Illusionary Ally [TFD]
Devona’s Rest

in Wintersday

Posted by: Daroon.1736

Daroon.1736

Hint: Put a snow wall in front of Toxx away from the centre

in Wintersday

Posted by: itsshortstuff.7148

itsshortstuff.7148

this event was amazingly fun =D with the right, cooperative people, you can def do it! thank goodness that there was one person telling us all these tips in the event, i had a lot of ‘ahhhhhhhhh’ moments.

Skarrah Steelshield | Jik Jik | Miss Hayate | Wyntress
[FUNK] – Over The Hills And Far Away
Tarnished Coast… TOAST <3

in Wintersday

Posted by: zbrkesbr.4173

zbrkesbr.4173

mobs start to behave strangely: teleport, stuck etc if you build too many walls on base, also catapults are proved better than ballistas – if you have enough and upgrade them – they’ll destroy whole wave before it starts moving (but then teleporting mobs will keep you busy on base).

So yeah: key to get achievement is lots of walls and catas.

War doesn’t determine who is right, only who is left.

in Wintersday

Posted by: General Belisarius.2548

General Belisarius.2548

People are already figuring it out. Who cares if you play with randoms it’s a social game meet and game with new people. I think it’s great. Rarely does the game FORCE you to work together with randoms, but it’s not the en of the world. That’s tomorrow remember.

in Wintersday

Posted by: han.9042

han.9042

Getting the Achievement is not hard. My GF and I did it on our first try with pugs. Just build walls around the dolyaks and then build a lot of catapults outside near spawn points. The catapults will take out a big chunk of their HP before they get to the dolyak.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Baby.1405

Baby.1405

what we did was build a bunch of non upgraded snowmen and catapults everywhere

in Wintersday

Posted by: microdark.7013

microdark.7013

They have a tendency to attack fist the walls. Did it on my second try. We just had 2 people defend with rifles, the other 3 building. When toxx appeared just 2 killing it and the others building.
As a tip, place walls around the dolyaks, build weapons on the outer circle a place a wall near them, it will be easy.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Phantasy.1087

Phantasy.1087

The group I was in was extremely fast and efficient.. no dolyak got below 75% health.. we had walls around them in the middle to center circle.. kept everything fully upgraded including snowmen.. didnt really have to use our rifles or anything on the mobs since the ballista, catapults, and snowmen did an extremely good job.. we had our walls build as i said.. and within every cluster of wall we had 1-2 snowmen per cluster.. had ballista and catapults all around the outer edge.. started with them at 12/3/6/9 and built them up fully upgraded then wet to 1/4/7/10 did the same thing… when you see a fully upgraded wall/ballista/snowman/catapult etc is about to die off put a new one right beside it before it dies and upgrade it.. that way you wont have any holes in your system…

also – toxx.. engage him asap and kite him away from the middle where the dolyaks are.. he has a long range and using a rifle (that’s what i used not sure on the other weapons).. you can hit him and be out of his range for hitting you back..

in Wintersday

Posted by: han.9042

han.9042

I noticed a lot of people didn’t know they can heal themselves.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Pisnaz.6428

Pisnaz.6428

My group was great, all it needed was a bit of explaining and they got it, even getting a skritt merc and placing catapults in the maze to draw Toxx. We had all our Doylaks near full health at round ten, and a well fortified area with a ton of weapons to the point we could almost hang back and let the mobs die on their own. We blocked the ramps and I’d pull Toxx away to the far corner to fight as they went on a building frenzy. First 3 rounds were touch and go but all came together smooth. Personally I found it fun, very challenging in a way but everyone came together and was well pleased when we got the achievement.

in Wintersday

Posted by: androidsheep.4271

androidsheep.4271

we just built a bunch of catapults and walls around the outer edge of the center area. you can also build catapults outside the center on the hills, surround them with walls to distract the toys. also putting a catapult in the maze is a very good distraction for the toys since they will run through the entire thing to get to the catapult.

unfortunately I found that you are at the mercy of the AI on Toxx in deciding whether or not you finish with all dolyak alive. the last group I was in was heading to victory by a very comfortable margin when Toxx showed up and ran directly to one of the dolyak to kill it. it completely ignored everyone else and our attempts to distract it and we ended up killing Toxx half a second after it killed the dolyak.

in Wintersday

Posted by: owlbystarlight.6594

owlbystarlight.6594

Yeah this really isn’t hard at all. o_o Maybe people on my server are generally more intelligent or something, but my PUG didn’t have much difficulty on our second try. We put up tons of snow walls around the dolyaks, upgraded the walls whenever their “HP” was low, and set up catapults/ballistas around the outer-circle edge. Pop-Guns tended to do the most damage, and I could snipe monsters from a long range! I found it to be ultra fun! _

Also we found ourselves using the hay sparingly – only when the dolyaks HP had a good chunk taken off it. Don’t forget to feed em hay when they need it!

in Wintersday

Posted by: Polaritie.4851

Polaritie.4851

My group just walled the tops of ramps, then spammed whatever we felt like wherever. We had 3/4 people running in supplies I think.

The dolyaks barely got damaged during the last four waves. It was awesome.

in Wintersday

Posted by: curtegg.5216

curtegg.5216

We had 3 people do fortifications and 2 do dps. Placing ice walls between the raised pads to keep the dolyaks safe is key. We then splattered all around with ballistas and snowmen to keep the waves at bay. Didn’t have too much trouble with the golem. Did put some weapons out beyond the center area facing inward for support. The toy spawn seems to ignore them once they a certain distance off (yet they can do incoming fire to help take them down).

in Wintersday

Posted by: Akerhage.5419

Akerhage.5419

It was pretty easy this one, got it on 2nd try with randoms. But it was pretty fun

in Wintersday

Posted by: Nanoha.3892

Nanoha.3892

Did it first try with total randoms: We build stuff randomly, ran around like headless chickens and shot stuff. I didn’t realise this required tactics!

in Wintersday

Posted by: King Jon.3128

King Jon.3128

Toxx kept spawming in the middle, actually, many of the things that spawn on the outside kept popping up right on top of the Yaks.

However, even when Toxx spawned right on the Yak, it didn’t kill any and we DPS killed it with ease. It only did approximately 25% damage to the Yak and it was hitting it.

You do NOT need to make just walls from snow, you can make snow men too.

It’s not that hard. Also, killing stuff with rifles is good.

Avoiding the kill doesn’t help too much. I’ve seen people who did 3 total kills kitten about people killing. Yet, that’s one of the main reason why the first yak dies. They are just allowing the creatures to just kill them without them bothering to do anything about it, just to build walls on the outside, when almost all of the spawns go right into the middle right away.

Thing is, kill the creatures, you will succeed with ease. Also, build things at random, make the creatures FIGHT them while you pick them off. Grab a candy cane and smash everything out there, then get a gun and place at random, upgrading your snow people to tank for you. Pick em off at a distance. Voila, you got it.

Done.