What to do with these leftover cogs?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Larkir.6502

Larkir.6502

So I just received 250 more cogs in the mail, despite having already opened the chest. Problem is, I already have all the minipets. I had been told a dev had confirmed we’d only be able to obtain enough cogs to craft two of the five minipets. Had I known I would get another 250 cogs from the mail I wouldn’t have bought all of the remaining ones from the gem store.

Now, I understand why you might wanna send out 200 cogs: both to remedy the first cog bug, but also to give them to the people who were unable to obtain the cogs from the chest. What I don’t understand is why’d you send 250 cogs to everyone after saying you wouldn’t be able to craft more than two minis! What will I do with these 450 leftover cogs when there’s no use for them anymore?

If someone from ArenaNet could confirm the cogs will have a use in the future It’d feel okay and I’ll save them for next year, but right now I feel tricked by ArenaNet making me buy things that people that waited got for free.. Even if I’m wrong and a dev has never said what I’ve been told they’ve said, we all have at least 200 spare cogs right now and nothing to do with them. So a confirmation or clarification would be nice.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Carzor Stelatis.9435

Carzor Stelatis.9435

So I just received 250 more cogs in the mail, despite having already opened the chest. Problem is, I already have all the minipets. I had been told a dev had confirmed we’d only be able to obtain enough cogs to craft two of the five minipets. Had I known I would get another 250 cogs from the mail I wouldn’t have bought all of the remaining ones from the gem store.

Now, I understand why you might wanna send out 200 cogs: both to remedy the first cog bug, but also to give them to the people who were unable to obtain the cogs from the chest. What I don’t understand is why’d you send 250 cogs to everyone after saying you wouldn’t be able to craft more than two minis! What will I do with these 450 leftover cogs when there’s no use for them anymore?

If someone from ArenaNet could confirm the cogs will have a use in the future It’d feel okay and I’ll save them for next year, but right now I feel tricked by ArenaNet making me buy things that people that waited got for free.. Even if I’m wrong and a dev has never said what I’ve been told they’ve said, we all have at least 200 spare cogs right now and nothing to do with them. So a confirmation or clarification would be nice.

The Arenanet dev in question said that you would be able to make 2 out of the 5 minipets by doing the five dungeons. He never said that this would be the only way to obtain them. As for next year, I suspect the ‘input’ materials will be the same (cogs, glue, stuffing) but the frames will be different (ie a new ‘series’ of wintersday minis).

in Wintersday

Posted by: Panda Shepard.1248

Panda Shepard.1248

I’d hold on to them if you have the bank space. If you don’t have the space get rid of them. No point in thinking about it too much. The next Wintersday event is a year away. I’ll be saving mine til I need the space for something else.

in Wintersday

Larkir.6502

I see. It was a misunderstanding then. In the future I won’t buy event-specific items from the gem store except if it’s the last day of the event. I still think it was a bad idea to sell them on the gem store the way they did. They should have specifically stated at the beginning how many you’d be able to get for free in the end.. It feels like I wasted money on something that was free.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

I honestly don’t believe we were suppose to get the extra cogs. But, when the chest and the events cheated some players, I believe this action was to fix that situation.

So, at the time, the GM spoke the truth. But, later circumstances required the additional cogs.

Gone to Reddit.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Comicus.4036

Comicus.4036

Quite funny to be complaining about getting extra cogs! As it stands I got no extra cogs in my email; should I now feel cheated or grateful for the things I did get?

in Wintersday

Larkir.6502

Quite funny to be complaining about getting extra cogs! As it stands I got no extra cogs in my email; should I now feel cheated or grateful for the things I did get?

You don’t seem to understand the problem. I’m not complaining about getting free stuff, I just don’t have any use for the cogs anymore since I apparently wasted money on something I’d have gotten for free if I’d waited. Most people also have 200 spare cogs now but there’s no use for them at all.

in Wintersday

Posted by: birdiegirl.2463

birdiegirl.2463

i have to agree. my understanding was the same as OP. we would only be able to make 2 mini’s…so like him I bought the other three for a full set. we just feel like we spent 350 gems on something we could have gotten in game. the 350 gems could have gone towards an extra bag slot instead. like the other guy, I will probably wait till the end before I buy on the next event. in case something like this happens again.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I’m going to build a small version of The Clocktower with mine.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Lacechan.6524

Lacechan.6524

I honestly don’t believe we were suppose to get the extra cogs. But, when the chest and the events cheated some players, I believe this action was to fix that situation.

So, at the time, the GM spoke the truth. But, later circumstances required the additional cogs.

Yeah from what I’ve seen we were truly only originally intended to have two of the five minis. The interview before the stop in Lion’s Arch and in-game chatter supported that. That is why the planned compensation was only 200 cogs, for anyone who was hit by diminishing returns the first two stops, and not 250 cogs. Anyone can look at that giant thread about the chest and saw how that turned out so a second compensation was required so that those people who haven’t been able to get their necessary cogs can at least make their two minis.

It’s always a good idea to be cautious with your money during events if it’s the very first time it has ever happened. Unless you know with certainty that what it is you are about to purchase has been around already and is safe.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Monkey Fritz.9052

Monkey Fritz.9052

Yeah from what I’ve seen we were truly only originally intended to have two of the five minis. The interview before the stop in Lion’s Arch and in-game chatter supported that. That is why the planned compensation was only 200 cogs, for anyone who was hit by diminishing returns the first two stops, and not 250 cogs. Anyone can look at that giant thread about the chest and saw how that turned out so a second compensation was required so that those people who haven’t been able to get their necessary cogs can at least make their two minis.

^ This.

Basically, after the bug they gave out the 200 cogs to ensure EVERYONE could make two minis, but NO ONE could make three.

Then there was ANOTHER bug with the chest, so they had to send out the stuff through the mail.
BUT anyone who had gotten the chest before the fix would have then had enough cogs to make a third mini, while those who did not would still only have enough to make two.

So, to be FAIR they gave out 250, ensuring everyone had an equal chance to make a third.

They basically capitulated on their own intent of only giving us two for the sake of fairness.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Lacechan.6524

Lacechan.6524

Not necessarily, if you were hit by diminishing returns and couldn’t get any compensation cogs from Tixx’s chest, then you still would be only able to make two pets. That situation has probably happened to a few people.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

I’m saving them for next year.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

in Wintersday

Posted by: Ian Smith.8690

Ian Smith.8690

I’m going to build a small version of The Clocktower with mine.

That would be awesome. lol.
Seriously, something we could do with the extra cogs in the MF would be nice.

I think a good developer should be a person not a professional. —DayZ designer Dean Hall