Why do female Charrs have to wear a dress?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Shimapanda.5793

Shimapanda.5793

Female Charrs have the same outfits as male Charrs for all armor and town clothes… except for the Fancy Winter Outfit.

Female Charr Outfit
Male Charr Outfit

Is there some kind of reason for this? It looks very out of character for a female Charr to wear a dress. They would NEVER wear something like that. There are other ways to make a character appear feminine if ANet was aiming for that without putting them in a frumpy dress.

And on a more subjective level, I think the dress looks horrible, while the male Charrs get to look stylish as heck.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Roda.7468

Roda.7468

Because a Charr should be able to feel purrrty some times too!
(I think she looks quite cute! :P)

in Wintersday

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

One of my charr friends is insanely happy to finally have some pretty clothes in their wardrobe :p

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

in Wintersday

Posted by: Laufey.5129

Laufey.5129

Though I won’t buy the Fancy Winter Outfit anyway, I fully agree. This is what I imagine the wolf from Little Red Riding Hood to look like in the grandmother’s clothes, which is to say, ridiculous.

It’s not a huge issue (for me, at least), but it’s terrible design nonetheless.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Urthona.3198

Urthona.3198

I rolled a female Charr specifically because they use the male armor skins. I agree that the male costume would be more suitable, if only because the tail makes it look ridiculous.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Dinny.5310

Dinny.5310

“They would NEVER wear something like that.”

Ugh, homogenizing/assuming that every single member of a particular race thinks and feels exactly the same.

Anyway, don’t you think that options are a good and desirable thing? This is virtually the first feminine piece of clothing available for charr women. I cannot begin to say how long I’ve been waiting for something like this, and I know I’m not alone.

TL;DR: Personal preference at the end of the day, but seriously… the more variety, the better, and I’m glad that it’s moving in that direction. Literally every armor set available (every single one!) is masculine or unisex in appearance, please don’t complain when something feminine crops up.

Dinny [Asura/Guardian] – Annachponae [Asura/Thief]

in Wintersday

Posted by: Matko.4729

Matko.4729

@Shimapanda.5793 why u wear pants every day? lol

Human Ranger Äragörn
Norn Necromancer Picek
Charr Warrior Grafiq

in Wintersday

Posted by: raizoo.6510

raizoo.6510

I realize there are people who don’t know/care about the lore and don’t see a problem with female Charr wearing dresses. But also remember that there are people who enjoy the lore and like trying to stay in-character.

I don’t understand why female Charr [and I guess Asura?] can’t at least have a choice between the two.

in Wintersday

Posted by: xerca.6135

xerca.6135

I don’t understand why female Charr [and I guess Asura?] can’t at least have a choice between the two.

Why can’t everyone get a choice between the two? I have seen human female NPCs with the male town clothing and such. Sure, I have not seen any male yet with a skirt, but still… If they feel like it…

in Wintersday

Shimapanda.5793

@Dinny: You know why there aren’t feminine armour sets? Because, like I said, Charrs wear the same outfits, whether male or female. This was a BIG draw for me for the race, and no doubt other people too. Charrs don’t give a damn about their appearance, they’re awesome warriors who respect only those people who deserve respect. Men and women are on equal footing in EVERY SINGLE ASPECT. This is a really big deal for me.

But ultimately it doesn’t make any sense to me that, despite them using the same armour as male charrs for EVERY SINGLE OTHER piece of armour or town outfit, they suddenly have this weird dress that goes totally against their lore AND doesn’t look right on them at all.

p.s., I have all the right to complain, so don’t tell me not to complain, thanks!

in Wintersday

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

It’s supposed to mimic traditional Christmas formal-wear, which means a suit and coat for guys and a dress for girls.

in Wintersday

Shimapanda.5793

Why can’t everyone get a choice between the two? I have seen human female NPCs with the male town clothing and such. Sure, I have not seen any male yet with a skirt, but still… If they feel like it…

I would 100% support male characters being able to wear female armour sets and vice versa. Dead serious here. I’m sure most people would think it just a joke though, but trans* people exist, and so do people who simply like wearing the other gender’s clothing.

in Wintersday

Urthona.3198

I realize there are people who don’t know/care about the lore and don’t see a problem with female Charr wearing dresses. But also remember that there are people who enjoy the lore and like trying to stay in-character.

I’m guessing it’s a technical limitation. The female armors are mapped for breasts.

in Wintersday

raizoo.6510

I’d love for this to happen as well! I think it’d be a huge step for the gaming industry, too.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

You could just…ya know…not use the dress on female charrs?

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

in Wintersday

Shimapanda.5793

I’m guessing it’s a technical limitation. The female armors are mapped for breasts.

Not really the case for Charr though. Charr don’t have breasts.

in Wintersday

Urthona.3198

Not really the case for Charr though. Charr don’t have breasts.

Exactly, which means that the female armor would not work on them. It’d be stretched to the point of being unusable. (The triangular body shape as opposed to the human female hourglass figure doesn’t help either.)

in Wintersday

raizoo.6510

in Wintersday

Posted by: Dinny.5310

Dinny.5310

@Dinny: You know why there aren’t feminine armour sets? Because, like I said, Charrs wear the same outfits, whether male or female. This was a BIG draw for me for the race, and no doubt other people too. Charrs don’t give a damn about their appearance, they’re awesome warriors who respect only those people who deserve respect. Men and women are on equal footing in EVERY SINGLE ASPECT. This is a really big deal for me.

But ultimately it doesn’t make any sense to me that, despite them using the same armour as male charrs for EVERY SINGLE OTHER piece of armour or town outfit, they suddenly have this weird dress that goes totally against their lore AND doesn’t look right on them at all.

p.s., I have all the right to complain, so don’t tell me not to complain, thanks!

Thanks for defeating your own argument whilst enforcing my own. I’m not sure how many times I have to repeat this, but I’m in favor of diversity. The fact that all charr sets are masculine/unisex is relatively in line with the lore and I don’t have a problem with it, but I can’t see the introduction of some choice for players as an undesirable thing.

Also, I have no idea where you get the idea that wearing a dress casually is lore-breaking. Certainly, it errs on the unusual, but seriously. They’re town clothes, worn in a casual context, they’re not going out to battle in it. Stop assuming that every single member of a particular race is exactly the same. Are you going to try to tell me, for example, that all members of a certain race or ethnic group are homogeneously X or Y? Yeah, no. Not all charr are butchy warriors (and I bet there are some charr ladies who like wearing a dress every now and then). Would most be? Probably. But not every single one.

P.S. Just because you can doesn’t mean you should. Also, adding a smiley face to a passive aggressive post doesn’t make you charming, FYI.

Dinny [Asura/Guardian] – Annachponae [Asura/Thief]

in Wintersday

Roda.7468

C’mon
Who wouldn’t want a piece of this adorable furball? :P
(Although, where DO her foot claws go?! o.o)
But in all seriousness, I tend to imagine all CS items as non-rp items. I mean you can get miniatures of the main heroes for Pete’s sake! How do you explain that?! Certainly not as easy as you can explain a Charr in a dress.

Attachments:

(edited by Roda.7468)

in Wintersday

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

Because they look Charr-ming

:)

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

in Wintersday

Roda.7468

Because they look Charr-ming

:)

^ THIS GUY!!

Attachments:

in Wintersday

Posted by: Leablo.2651

Leablo.2651

This is what I imagine the wolf from Little Red Riding Hood to look like in the grandmother’s clothes, which is to say, ridiculous.

Yeah Anet please be sensible here. Everyone knows that giant talking humanoid cats wear pants. The dress makes it ridiculous.

The lesson to take away from Little Red Riding Hood is that there wouldn’t have been an issue if the talking wolf had simply worn pants while pretending to be a human grandmother.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Account.9832

Account.9832

They would NEVER wear something like that.

Where did you get your Charr sociology degree?

- Al Zheimer

in Wintersday

Posted by: Shadowlancer.7102

Shadowlancer.7102

Sadly, most of the outfits in the game, via gemshop, karma, dungeon, cultural, or even pvp armor; does not work for Charr.

This is just another example of another outfit not working out. Personally I gave up on finding a good outfit for Charr.

Makes you wonder what is so… Artistic for most of the Charr outfits in the first place.

Please don’t try to bring up the argument of Heavy armor working.

Look behind a Male/Female Charr wearing metal pants with metal armor and watch how a simple tail motion from the animation, bends metal like water.

Yeah… case close.

That or look at how cheap and lazy they made foot wear for Charr and did a simple stretch and 9 times out of 10, the pants over lap on foot wear.

Seriously though, the outfits on Charr are poorly done and embarrassing.

(edited by Shadowlancer.7102)

in Wintersday

Posted by: Siadea.3950

Siadea.3950

Ability to switch the gendered clothing for both genders would also be super appreciated from this person. I happen to love the idea of my charr in a dress,* but I really want to be able to put my asura necromancer in the male version!

• Here is a scenario: Ash Legion agent has heard about “feminine wiles” and wants to try them on Flame Legion. If nothing else, it’d confuse the hell out of them. Plus, you could fit a small artillery piece under all those ruffles! Perfect.

in Wintersday

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

Equal footing does not mean that everyone has to be masculine. That’s just suppression of femininity to the extreme. To complain about ONE piece of clothing that happens to be feminine is the opposite of wanting equality. If a charr wants to be feminine (and who’s to say the entire species enjoys masculine clothing?), whether they are male or female, they should have the chance to be so. And vice versa. I think either extreme is a bit too much.
Nothing wrong with being masculine too, I just think there needs to be more feminine options for the charr, both male and female. Men of the other species certainly get certain armor that is slightly feminine. I would like to see more masculine and feminine clothing for both genders of all species though, I think that’d be nice.

Ability to switch the gendered clothing for both genders would also be super appreciated from this person. I happen to love the idea of my charr in a dress,* but I really want to be able to put my asura necromancer in the male version!

Yes! There’s plenty of armor, even sylvari cultural, that I’d like to switch between gender versions. If only, eh?

in Wintersday

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

See for me it is the other way round… I don’t see why every outfit my mesmer can get HAVE to have a skirt.

Town clothes, yes I can understand, but apart from Profane, I cannot get away from skirts!

in Wintersday

Posted by: nelopp.6140

nelopp.6140

See for me it is the other way round… I don’t see why every outfit my mesmer can get HAVE to have a skirt.

Town clothes, yes I can understand, but apart from Profane, I cannot get away from skirts!

You are lucky if you are norn,T1,2 are trousers.
Also I think crafted exotic is not a skirt?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

Personally, I think it’s hilarious – I might actually be inclined to buy something for once.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Tsubaki.2508

Tsubaki.2508

I think the female charr looks ridiculously silly, which is fine. Some people think she looks awesome. Our tastes aren’t going to carry across the board, and it’s nice to have some variety. Also remember these are town clothes and they aren’t going to fight in these outfits.

I do wish that both genders have access to both models, instead of the current restrictions.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Doomdesire.9365

Doomdesire.9365

ROFL. There’s just something about feminine charrs that’s funny. Charr don’t strike me as a cute and cuddly type :P

in Wintersday

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

I play an Asura and we got a similar problem. I have to say that I’m perfectly fine with my female Arsua wearing male-skins in general. I really appreciate, that she generally wears trousers or something at least looking like it was made for fighting. For example the female masquerade set looks awesome, but I can’t really imagine sending my norn with this clothes to orr or somewhere to fight something nasty.

I would really love to have more clothing options for any race or gender. As for the town-clothes I can understand, that there are people who are happy to have at least one female dress for Charr or Asura and I wouldn’t like to have unisex cloths the next time. But I would like to be able to choose if I want the male or female skin. I don’t mind male chars to have the same option I only don’t know if thoses dresses would be really sold often enough.