Why is it always in Lion's Arch?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Dreamwalker.3617

Dreamwalker.3617

From what I understand (I could be wrong, not a whole lot of Wintersday info is out yet), the majority of Wintersday celebrations are being held in Lion’s Arch.

Why?

I get that Lion’s Arch is supposed to be the “hub” of the game. But we’ve had Halloween, Karka, Fractals, the mystic forge, not to mention WvWvW portals; Lion’s Arch has quite a lot going on, doesn’t it?

On the other side of the coin: is there any reason for higher level players to ever visit the other cities? Now, I know that there are activities and things planned to take place in these cities, and that’s great. But there should be…more.

People are supposed to go Lion’s Arch. I get that. But the problem right now isn’t getting people there, it’s making them leave. So let’s do stuff in the Black Citadel, in the Grove or Divinity’s Reach. Let’s have a reason to go to Rata Sum and Holebrak.

Let’s see the world.

That was so funny, I laughed twice.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Starscream.6498

Starscream.6498

From the Wintersday page: “Before Tixx arrives in Lion’s Arch in his massive airship toy workshop, he’ll visit every major city in Tyria to deliver Wintersday toys and holiday cheer.”
Hopefully that will be a bit of a longer stay, not just fly over for 10 minutes.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Lillith.5724

Lillith.5724

I’m hoping they have the carnival area open in Divinity’s Reach for Wintersday!

Lillith Flame – Norn Ranger
Guild Leader: Spank Reunited
Yak’s Bend Server

in Wintersday

Posted by: ThFH.6048

ThFH.6048

I Agree Dreamwalker they should have an event in one of the other cities instead of always using Lions Arch.

in Wintersday

Posted by: TabMorte.5297

TabMorte.5297

It’s not. They said that Tix will be visiting each of the cities before he gets to Lion’s arch.

Golemancy 101: total and complete catastrophic
failure is still a monumental success, assuming
losses remain within acceptable parameters.

in Wintersday

Posted by: gwawer.9805

gwawer.9805

You know, I’ve wondered the same thing. Why not rotate the events main location along the main cities and do this for each holiday events.

Like for example, the Halloween event could be featured in the city of the asura, while the winter events could be in divinity reach. I think one of the reasons they are located in Lions arc is because the play’s simply as the most portals and is too convenient compared to the other cities. Not to mention that the fractal dungeon is also there.

If they made the other cities as convenient, then it would definitely help people to migrate to those cities. I hate that when I go to Lions arch, I am always put in overflow. I would rather mingle with the folks on my own server. So if they spread out of the server population among the city’s such as having some people in divinity reach while others in another city, then there would not be overflows.

I really dislike overflows. Don’t get me wrong, I would not want to be on a barren landscape, but that’s another issue that can be addressed with under flows. Anyway, yes the main cities other then lines arc could definitely use some love and attractions, and arena nets has stated that they are aware of this issue. The fact that winter’s day events do occur in the main cities, although the main event occurs in Lions arc, is still a good start.

In the future I hope to see large groups of people hanging out in the main cities because they prefer the look and feel of that city. Right now people are forced into Lions arc for the sake of convenience in terms of portals and organizing dungeon groups. Though world of war craft system where the trades channel is available to all main cities is it good solution. Unfortunately, even in that game people still flock to one main city, rather than spread out among all the cities. However, the situation in world war craft is still better than the current one in GW 2 because in world war craft if you go to dalaran., You’ll still see a nice helping of people, although nowhere nearly as close to the main city like storm wind. But at least if a person chooses to go to a city other than storm wind, there was still have access to the trade channel.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I think they wanted to do the majority of things in LA both because it’s (marginally) easier for everyone to get to and because it’s been established as a kind of ‘neutral ground’ in both a lore and player sense.

There were people who complained that the Halloween event was too biased towards the human starting area and that this gave human characters an unfair advantage because they were more likely to have explored it all already and have access to all the waypoints etc. (There were even a few people who said it was done deliberately because there are more human characters in the game.)

In that case I think it was justified because the lore they’d established in GW1 tied Halloween very strongly to Kryta. I think if they wanted to do it with other holidays they’d either have to put up with a lot of complaining or assign each holiday to a city, make sure it was equal between them all and then first Anet and then their players would spend a lot of time each time one came around reassuring other players that their city would get their turn and it would all balance out over time. Repeatedly. Every single year.

Personally I’d like them to do it so each city has their own events and everyone is encouraged to visit them all, but that’s a lot more work than focusing it on one. (I imagine they’re also reluctant to spread people out too much, although if the Halloween and Lost Shores events are anything to go by that would actually be a benefit.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Wintersday

Posted by: Lillith.5724

Lillith.5724

I can’t imagine what LA will be like during the event! Overflow servers on overflow?? With FoTM madness already going on, I wonder if anybody will be able to log in at all?

I’m more than okay spending some more time in the other home cities

Lillith Flame – Norn Ranger
Guild Leader: Spank Reunited
Yak’s Bend Server

in Wintersday

Posted by: knh.9378

knh.9378

Lions Arch takes 10 years to load for me since the halloween patch. Wintersday is going to be so slow for me.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Kojiden.8405

Kojiden.8405

I like what they’re doing with this event. Have the main area be in the HUB city, and have events across the cities.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Dantaeus Heardt.5730

Dantaeus Heardt.5730

I wish the main cities had more going on in them honestly I prefer being in Divinity’s Reach over LA( I only go there to use the Forge nowadays ). Maybe in the future we’ll see more events in the cities at least with this one Tixx will visit each one.

Dantaeus X Heardt Ranger Lvl 80
Zhaitans Tears Guild[ TWS ] NSP

in Wintersday

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

If you actually scroll down on the Wintersday site page, you can see that each DAY Tixx is in a different city, not just a 10 minute fly over.

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

in Wintersday

Posted by: Rynarx.6124

Rynarx.6124

After the experience in the Karka event, I can imagine LA can be cleared out in seconds during Wintersday if someone were to yell over map chat
“Tixx dropping loot chests in Divinity’s Reach right now”

in Wintersday

Posted by: TommyP.6924

TommyP.6924

I’m glad to see tixx is going to visit each city, I personally think that we need more reasons in this game to pull players away from Lion’s Arch. While I understand that it’s supposed to be the central hub of the game, The other cities pretty much generally feel deserted other than low level players. Would be nice to see more of them busier. I hope to see more events feature specific cities in the future.