Winter Wonderland JP - % that can make it

in Wintersday

Posted by: Reaper.1695

Reaper.1695

I would like to know what percentage of the GW2 population can complete this jump puzzle. I tired it 100 times easy, no way. I’m guessing 1-2%?

Anyway, just frustrated how this game only caters to the skilled elite who can dedicate 10-12 hours per day on it, and not the casual player like me (5-6 hours per week). With the drop rate nerf, why play anymore… Without spending real $ can’t see how to get ahead in this game?

(yes it’s 2 topics in one)

Sorry, just venting.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Miss Pink Floyd.9730

Miss Pink Floyd.9730

I am unable to even complete most vista’s where much jumping is required
I really dislike jumping.

(edited by Miss Pink Floyd.9730)

in Wintersday

Posted by: Shamrocky.5036

Shamrocky.5036

The Winter Wonderland Jumping Puzzle is quite easy and defiantly more toned down from the Halloween JP. Skilled elite jumpers? Love it. Is your spacebar broken? Most of the vistas are rather easy to jump to. It is usually finding where to start the jumping is the challenge for the vistas.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Fox.3469

Fox.3469

based on my guild, wich is 80% casual that plays the amount you play, i’d say at least 80% has made it by now, and in general i think that’s about a correct number.

You have a point about droprates, but since this is about the JP, i have to say you are dead wrong. It has nothing to do with time spent, i’ve seen guildies make it on first time doing it. I had to try a bit more but i don’t care.

This is a clear case of thinking about noone but yourself and wanting everything handed to you. I think you need to accept that there are some things in games you can’t do. If we all could do everything then there is nothing to be proud about that you did it. They could have just made a bridge to walk over and called it a jumping puzzle, but where would the fun be then? Challenge equals fun, if you don’t understand that, stop gaming.

Stop asking to get rewarded for logging in.

If you are looking for a cozy mature Dutch guild (EU) let me know.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Perb.4013

Perb.4013

Took me about 20 minutes (5 attempts). This jumping puzzle was pretty easy.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Panda Shepard.1248

Panda Shepard.1248

It’s a really easy one. I made it on the first day, probably less than an hour. This coming from someone who sucks at jumping puzzles.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Lacechan.6524

Lacechan.6524

I’d be kind of interested in seeing some kind of stats of how many people were able to complete it, how many times they’ve done it, etc.

Unfortunately they don’t have any ways to track that, according to the guy who created them.

Also 1-2% would mean the puzzle was harder than Halloween (which was intended for only 5% of the population to complete in its original design before it turned out the way it did.) If anything it is probably 20~25% minimum.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Kuzzi.2198

Kuzzi.2198

This puzzle was much easier than the clock tower.

I am actually rather disappointed that I was able to complete this JP on my second try, and I hope that future puzzles are harder – more like the Halloween JP.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Lazy.2389

Lazy.2389

OP: Not everyone gets jumping puzzles. The first JP I tried was the one for Halloween and I was pretty sure I was going to go insane. For that one I found the problem was that some parts weren’t intuitive and in places played on the awkward blocky movements and pathing issues to throw players off. However after watching a couple of videos online of people doing it online it was just a matter of watching each section and nailing it. After a short while I’d consistently get onto the next section. And at about halfway It got a lot easier.

In this JP, I found after you get past the first part (snowflake section) the rest is a fair bit easier or at least no harder, so your aim should be just to try consistently get past that bit. I do recommend watching a youtube video. Personally it didn’t show me anything special but it did make me a lot more confident that I was doing it correctly at my speed was about the same as the person I saw. This allowed me not to make stupid mistakes because I was panicking about the time limit.

Try to understand that it needs to be at a certain difficulty in order for it to be enjoyable for everyone. Once you nail this JP (and you will if you take some time to look at videos) and you get the massive satisfaction of doing so, I guarantee that you will be very disappointed if they make it easier next time. If I hadn’t completed the Halloween JP first, this would have taken me days (as the first one did).

Good luck to you.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Iris.5918

Iris.5918

Jumping puzzles give me motion sickness so if you add a need to hurry I just can’t do it.

in Wintersday

Posted by: SundayTrash.9562

SundayTrash.9562

I have a 90% rate, I when 30/30 last night, I farmed like over 1000 present from jumping puzzle, but still no unbreakable choir bell.

in Wintersday

Posted by: ljaphillips.3497

ljaphillips.3497

over 50 plus times done. its not that hard just take you time dont rush once you have the pattern it is easy

in Wintersday

Posted by: Rosen Myst.7641

Rosen Myst.7641

I’m living proof that it’s not possible for some people to complete. LOL Sadly I’ve practiced and practiced every day hoping to get faster. I can make it to the presents, but they are all exploding by the time I get there. I don’t know how to go faster and not miss jumps.

I do think that 50%-75% of people can do the puzzle. A big key is being able to use the mouse for turns plus having good eye-hand coordination. Also having played other games with jumping and moving platforms has to be a big help.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Lord.6497

Lord.6497

I would like to know what percentage of the GW2 population can complete this jump puzzle. I tired it 100 times easy, no way. I’m guessing 1-2%?

Anyway, just frustrated how this game only caters to the skilled elite who can dedicate 10-12 hours per day on it, and not the casual player like me (5-6 hours per week). With the drop rate nerf, why play anymore… Without spending real $ can’t see how to get ahead in this game?

Sorry, just venting.

Took me 6 tries to do the wintersday JP. A guildie of mine one shotted it. While being good does have its advantages I seriously doubt that the completion percentage is only 1-2%. If you’ve tried it 100 times and still haven’t finished it you must be 1) doing something wrong, 2) on a bad connection, 3) unfamiliar with platformers 4) (no offense) have really slow reaction times.

This JP is so much easier than the clocktower and many of the community voiced issues were addressed (seperate starting points, larger margin for error, no repeated animation, etc). I just disagree with the premise of posts that suggest content be lowered to the lowest common denominator. Just like in life, some people will excel and others will fail. If the content was any easier, there would be no reason for the so called “skilled elite” to even continue playing.

TL;DR Don’t lower the bar to the least common denominator.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Jest.9276

Jest.9276

Count me in the group that notices that this is considerably easier than the Halloween Puzzle. You have a lot more time to correct your jumps in this one, which is the primary reason this one is easier imo.

The Halloween Puzzle was more about memorizing the correct paths and jumping as quickly as possible through the path. This one is harder to memorize due to the 3 paths that you randomly get placed on but since you have more time, it’s less about blind jumping for speed and more about just trying to be smooth and accurate.

My guess is that those who are having trouble with the this puzzle will always have trouble with timed puzzles due to using the slower and less accurate control method of using WAD (or Arrow Keys) to control character movement rather than using Right and Left Click as character movement. While you may prefer your current method, if you want to improve your Puzzle performance (and it helps in combat as well) I’d suggest that you try to learn the Mouse method. Now this isn’t a “L2P” post or a knock at whatever control method you’re currently using. Just trying to throw out some advice that might help those who are having a hard time.

in Wintersday

Posted by: LFk.1408

LFk.1408

The % of the population that can make it once? I’d say around 80%. This is a very easy puzzle compared to the Halloween one, and even significantly easier than some of the world based jumping puzzles (Griffonrook Run + Bomb comes to mind)

in Wintersday

Posted by: Pasha.2367

Pasha.2367

Count me among the percent who cannot. I have trouble getting to some vistas even. I can’t do the regular jumping puzzles much less the amped up holiday ones.

in Wintersday

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Although the puzzle is much easier than the clock tower, it’s slightly harder than the world JPs. This is because the reward is also slightly better than the world JPs.

Its risk versus reward. You want an ascended ring? You need to be able to complete at least one R10 fractal run, or at most 20 of them. You want a pair of soulbound exotic boots? The Jp that contained them was up to that level of difficulty.

Luckily, arenanet made vast strides toward holiday event management. There are no unique rewards in the JP, and you don’t even need its achievement to complete the holiday title. The reward is worth the effort, and I’m with the folks that estimate that the vast majority of the community is capable of completing it at least once, and a very large portion capable of completing it once a day.

This isn’t an issue of “catering to the skilled elite” the game, by the statement of its developers, endeavors to have activities that appeal to all types of players. This doesn’t mean every type of player will be good at or enjoy everything in the game. It means there’s usually enough in the game that there should be something you find enjoyable.

Personally, I don’t enjoy sPvP. I’ve never liked arena PvP in MMOs it feels disjointed from the entire concept of a persistent world, and other types of games (shooters, MOBAs) tend to be much more enjoyable for me in a “limited match” format.

I don’t complain when sPvP gets updates, maps, and other things. That type of gameplay exists specifically for the types of people that enjoy it. Jumping puzzles exist specifically for people that enjoy jumping puzzles. If you don’t enjoy it, do one of the many other Wintersday activities!

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

in Wintersday

Posted by: Amos.8760

Amos.8760

Got this in about 20 minutes of trying. I’m guessing 1-2% is the percentage that cannot make, not the percent that can.

My turret is so much better at this game than I am.

in Wintersday

Posted by: rickets.1386

rickets.1386

Took me 2 tries to complete…how is pressing spacebar+w an elite skill?

rickets 80 elementalist
crickits 80 ranger
crickets 80 warrior – current main

in Wintersday

Posted by: DungeonDaughter.7391

DungeonDaughter.7391

Turn up your mouse sensitivity and hold RMB to turn. Sometimes for vistas, you need to jump before you press forward. With the winter jumping puzzle, you’ll usually need to press forward before you jump. Sometimes you’ll have to press backward to correct for jumping too far. Do it at 4am when no one else is on. That’s about it.

“We just don’t want players…in Guild Wars 2.
No one enjoys [it]. No one finds it fun.” —Colin J.

in Wintersday

Posted by: TheSithCode.4036

TheSithCode.4036

I do it once per day for the reward. At most it takes me 2 tries. I can’t understand why people are having trouble with it.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Rake.7169

Rake.7169

over 50 plus times done. its not that hard just take you time dont rush once you have the pattern it is easy

this.
but as mentioned in a bug quest, since the lagging started those daily farm runs are reduced to one, lag/choppy/freeze in mid-air kinda sucks kitten.

in Wintersday

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

Its no so much the time you put into the game. I play 60 hours a week and Im on holidays and putting in more hours and cannot complete it. I just don’t have the mindset and patience for jumping puzzles and find them frustrating. I will probably never complete a single jumping puzzle in GW2.

in Wintersday

Posted by: MrZero.4730

MrZero.4730

This jumping puzzle is ALOT easier that the Halloween one. So I’m guessing more than 50% of the players have made it.

Glassheart – Human Thief

Aurora Glade server

in Wintersday

Posted by: Silver.9578

Silver.9578

There you have it. WW is still too hard for a lot of players and frustratingly easy for those who loved the Clocktower.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

I found it fairly simple. I died a couple of times on the snowflakes in the beginning. Poor jumping on my part, but once I got pass that. I made it all the way.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

in Wintersday

Posted by: Zionka.6897

Zionka.6897

If I can do it, anyone can, seriously. I use a touch pad, and arrow keys for movement. Winter Wonderland took me over 20 hours of trying over several days, but I finally did it. I knew I’d get it eventually, so I refused to give up.
Practice practice practice. Took me like 5 hours just to get past the 1st candy canes, another 5 hours to get past the 2nd canes, but I was making progress and just kept trying. Now I can make it to the finish about 1 in 5 tries, I’m a pro!

~Jade Quarry Server~

in Wintersday

Posted by: Courageous Mithos.8745

Courageous Mithos.8745

I completely disagree with this post. The Halloween one was indeed difficult. The whole jumping principle was new to me at the start of Guild Wars 2, and I was not good in it at all.

However, with Halloween I was really dedicated to get the achievement, and after about 3 hours of trying, I finally made it. That Jumping Puzzle was estimated by Arenanet to be completed by only a small group (5-10%, there’s a article somewhere).

The Winter Wonderland Jumping Puzzle is a lot easier. It definitely took me less than an hour to complete. There’s less time pressure, and most jumps are pretty easy. It just requires some dedication and practice to do it.

As for the Vista’s, most of them should be pretty easy. As mentioned before in this topic, the key to do those, is to find the starting point. The jumping itself is not at all that hard. There are like 2 Vista’s that have a Jumping Puzzle with them, so those should be the only ones that are somewhat harder.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Diva.4706

Diva.4706

OP; I used to feel the same as you, and I too have ranted ( guilty as charged! ) about things in GW2 I don’t like. But you know what, there is much I still do like, so I just play THAT content. I don’t do JPs at all, for me they don’t exist. Learn to not be a completist and you will be much happier

in Wintersday

Posted by: miniL.7361

miniL.7361

Some people want JP to be hard, tbh I liked clocktower a lot cuz it was a little hard and I didnt make it every single run I tried. This one I barely ever go down and almost every day I do it once and I finish the first time.

If you are no good at it, then just don’t do it, or try harder because in the end, practice makes perfect and will probably help you with coming jumping puzzles as well.

I’d say achievements do not add much to the game anyway, neither do the titles. Its fun to hunt them, but if you cannot make the jumping puzzle, than the achievement isn’t for you. And in this case you dont miss out on a title so I dont really see the problem.

If you cannot finish a certain dungeon cause you’re no good at it, it doesnt mean you should get the achievement or the loot in it?

in Wintersday

Posted by: HyJinx.4896

HyJinx.4896

Sorry, just venting.

This is completely bogus. Just spend more time in between holiday puzzles and you can practice even on a “casual player” time base. I completed this jumping puzzle on the 5th try i believe. Just takes a little bit of practice and the fact that you don’t have to be the one leading the pact but you cant take a half hour either. With that in mind you should have no problem as long as you try. If you keep having a lot of issues try putting the graphics on your computer to best performance i do that and get flawless game play during the dungeon runs.

Since the jump puzzle has been released for wintersday I have done it at least once a day each day. At most after the first day it has taken me around 1-3 tries to get it complete. So about 3-10 minutes roughly.

Your only going to spend hours if you are bad at jumping. In that case practice more between holidays before you try more and don’t request them to be knocked down easier than this. This was a cakewalk.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

The halloween jumping puzzle was very hard, the winter jumping puzzle is medium difficulty at its worst. After you complete the winter jumping puzzle a couple of times, it becomes very easy, though. I’ve done it 8 times in a row two times, and completed it a total of about 100 times now.

Here’s some tips:
Pan your camera up, so you are looking down on your character. That will make it easier to see the distance between the jumps.
All your direction keys also work while you are in the air, so if you can see that you are about to land to far ahead, use your backward key.
Don’t feel like you have to move very fast in the winter jumping puzzle, it is not a race. The snowflakes disappear slower then you think, so just take your time at first. There are some areas in the puzzles where you can jump faster to make up for lost time.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

(edited by Kasama.8941)

in Wintersday

Posted by: Blackwolfe.5649

Blackwolfe.5649

Im thinking that a much larger percentage finished the wintersday JP compared to the halloween one.

I never finished the Halloween JP despite 50+ tries. Before I went on to celebrate christmas with my family, I finished the wintersday jp several times. Its alot easier than the halloween JP. Alot of people also find the wintersday jp to be much easier.

Colin Johansen casts – Working As Intended
Colin Johansen hits you for 239407889 damage
Game over

in Wintersday

Posted by: gimmethegepgun.1284

gimmethegepgun.1284

I don’t know why everyone thinks it’s so hard. I made it the second time, easily.
And the only reason I failed the first time is because I thought that the wall below the starting point was where you had to go first.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

I tried it a couple of times and then moved on. My new policy re jumping puzzles, holiday or otherwise: if I have to wait for other people to succeed or fail before I can try again, then I just won’t bother with it.

The table is a fable.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Folk.2093

Folk.2093

Never got close to the Halloween one but this one I was able to finish after about a dozen or so tried. I really liked this one.

in Wintersday

Posted by: CyberMurmeli.3061

CyberMurmeli.3061

I made at same day i bought this game, and took max. 30mins, and i even failed few times at end of puzzle lol..

in Wintersday

Posted by: Skribbl.7684

Skribbl.7684

Like I advised my guild leader a while back. When in doubt go back to jumping 101; Mario Brothers.

Ralek Manatech – Engineer
Kaithlynia – Mesmer
Fort Aspenwood

in Wintersday

Posted by: Token.5098

Token.5098

Made it on my third try, I’ve spend about ten minutes inside winter wonderland.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

I’d say it is one of the easiest jumping puzzles in the game.

in Wintersday

Posted by: mobile storage.1294

mobile storage.1294

Its not hard just a lot of button mashing unlike the halloween one.
Atleast you get free karma for completing it daily

in Wintersday

Posted by: Esrever.8613

Esrever.8613

why do you even care about completing it if you are a casual?

Why don’t you go complain to the government about how hard it is to get Lamborghini for a person working at mckitten.

sllaw eht no nettirw gnihtemos saw ecno ereht

in Wintersday

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’m a “casual” player, I can only play about 1-2 hours absolute maximum on week nights and have missed a lot of wintersday due to being away, I also don’t think I’m particularly good at jump puzzles – they always take me numerous attempts. It took me a while to get the hang of it, mainly because of a few specific jumps where you have to go at a funny angle, and trying to rush the snowball part but I don’t think it’s any harder than any of the other jump puzzles and all the ones I’ve done so far are relatively easy.

I’ve done it 3 times, but after I finished it I didn’t do it often because I find Bell Hero is faster for getting presents, so I could have done it more times if I’d tried.

It might help if you’ve played platformers before, but mainly I think it’s down to your control method. Most people who have trouble and have gone into detail tend to be using the keyboard to turn or doing something else impractical. The biggest thing that helped me was re-mapping jump so I cam comfortably keep one finger on there and one on W (I moved it to \, right-handed people might be ok with Space, or could use C or something) and then I use the mouse to turn and see where I’m going.

I also keep the camera almost directly overhead for the snowflake and candy parts because you’re mostly jumping almost horizontally so it makes it easier to see where you’re going.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Wintersday

Posted by: HoboLyra.4908

HoboLyra.4908

Actually this wasn’t that hard of a puzzle. I’ve completed it 10 times now- Those skritt AOE attacks at the end are the hardest I would say.

-Tarnished Coast-
Obsidian Spire OS / EXS

in Wintersday

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Took me 3 tries, around 8 minutes.

Clock Tower took me around 12 tries, around 1 hour and 10 minutes.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Lemonlore.7163

Lemonlore.7163

Im one of those ppl who didnt complete clock tower so this is not much better….i spent 2+hour each day last week trying all together i wasted 18hs still fail…i made it to the candy cane circles 3times so i must stink and failing parts after it…

in Wintersday

Posted by: Kipo.8702

Kipo.8702

Took me 2 tries. In fact I wish they would of made this one a little more difficult. A lot of the jump puzzle throughout the world are much harder.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

My computer is slow, and by the time my computer loads the area the first few snowflakes have already melted. There’s always completing it next year I guess.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Zimlobo.3962

Zimlobo.3962

It took me 3 days trying on average 1-2 hours a day before I finally beat it. Now I can make it 1 out of 4 tries and I’ve been farming the puzzle daily. I never did make the Clock Tower but from then up to Wintersday I practiced over and over again every JP I was near on the map. I’m not a l33t jumper but I want to be, so with practice eventually I will be l33t