Winter Wonderland Jumping Puzzle Debacle

in Wintersday

Posted by: sablephoenix.1593

sablephoenix.1593

ArenaNet, did you learn nothing at all from the fiasco that was the Mad King’s Clocktower?

The Winter Wonderland is even worse than the Clocktower. I didn’t think it could be done, but somehow you did it. You made a jumping puzzle that is even more impossible (yes, I know that it’s impossible to be more than impossible, but this is indeed even more impossible). Those of us who have trouble with the existing jumping puzzles (whether because of the movement engine’s fiddly hitboxes, the myopic field of view and lack of depth cues, poor reflexes or disabilities, or any other reason) are completely screwed for this one; there is no hope whatsoever of getting its achievement.

I thought you were going to be inclusive to all players with your content, but apparently there is in fact some content that’s locked away from a section of the playerbase by design.

Do not repeat this performance in subsequent events.

(edited by sablephoenix.1593)

in Wintersday

Posted by: samrogan.9132

samrogan.9132

It’s not impossible, i can say for certain it is MUCH easier that the clock tower. The clock tower took me (no exaggeration) 4 hours, I got this one after 4 tries. Keep at it, you’ll get it!

in Wintersday

Posted by: Qori.9671

Qori.9671

they probably had this event and halloween event committed even before launch , I doubt they had time to rework everything in a month and a half.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Yuun.7842

Yuun.7842

This puzzle is significantly easier, it’s my only real complaint about it. The people who can’t load in before it starts have a fair grudge, though.

in Wintersday

Posted by: tertle.4621

tertle.4621

This jumple puzzle is simple… especially compared to halloween, took me 3 tries.

What they did those is reduce the reward, you barely get anything (which is fine I had fun). So if you don’t want to do it, don’t do it. It’s completely optional.

Some of us really enjoy them. I wish it was as hard as mad king and look forward to harder ones in the future.

in Wintersday

Posted by: skulldar.5893

skulldar.5893

This jumping puzzle was way easier than halloween’s.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Charming Rogue.8071

Charming Rogue.8071

what? lol, i did it in 3 tries. This one is soooooo much easier than the clocktower. And anet doesn’t have to learn anything, the clocktower was awesome, and this one is awesome. Too bad the rewards are crap when you do it on alts or consecutive times. Only worth doing once for the achievement.

tl;dr I LOVE IT, do more of these jumping puzzles! Don’t listen to the whiners.

Desolation – EU – [KING] – Immortal Kingdom

in Wintersday

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

I beat it already. Never got even 2/3 of clock tower. The secret to jumple puzzles to me (the ones I can do anyway) is good steering into your camera control more than jumping. Lose camera control and you’re definitely in trouble. And for jumping you just have to be sure to have your thumb very firmly in the center of the spacebar.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

ArenaNet, did you learn nothing at all from the fiasco that was the Mad King’s Clocktower?

The Winter Wonderland is even worse than the Clocktower. I didn’t think it could be done, but somehow you did it. You made a jumping puzzle that is even more impossible (yes, I know that it’s impossible to be more than impossible, but this is indeed even more impossible). Those of us who have trouble with the existing jumping puzzles (whether because of the movement engine’s fiddly hitboxes, the myopic field of view and lack of depth cues, poor reflexes or disabilities, or any other reason) are completely screwed for this one; there is no hope whatsoever of getting its achievement.

I thought you were going to be inclusive to all players with your content, but apparently there is in fact some content that’s locked away from a section of the playerbase by design.

It’s so much easier.

Here’s a tip that can apply to a lot of jumping puzzles to make them easier:

Click and hold down the right mouse button as you run the puzzle

in Wintersday

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

…….. This puzzle was a lot easier than the Halloween one. Especially because there were 2 separate puzzles so less people were crowding just 1 puzzle.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Latorn.4209

Latorn.4209

I think it’s freaking amazing, but I also thought clocktower was amazing.

No one is making you do it btw, if you don’t enjoy it just join in on the other wintersday festivities.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Sugoi Travis.2651

Sugoi Travis.2651

I don’t know about you guys, but I finished this JP on my third try. It took me at least 20 tries, a rage-quit, and a whole lotta swearing before I finished the clocktower JP.

IMO this is a much easier JP. However, it sucks that we have to rush through it and not take the time to check out the surroundings. ANet did an awesome job with the details.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Downstairs Eddie.8125

Downstairs Eddie.8125

Echoing everyone else, this one is FAR easier than the clocktower. The clocktower took me maybe an hour and half of attempts. I finished this one on my second try. Disappointingly easy in my opinion, but still fun.

in Wintersday

TehPwnerer.7215

I don’t know about you guys, but I finished this JP on my third try. It took me at least 20 tries, a rage-quit, and a whole lotta swearing before I finished the clocktower JP.

IMO this is a much easier JP. However, it sucks that we have to rush through it and not take the time to check out the surroundings. ANet did an awesome job with the details.

When you finish the puzzle you can look back at everyone else doing it and check out the “hidden vista(?)”

in Wintersday

Posted by: Darkmind.7516

Darkmind.7516

Just wanna chime in…

I gave up on the clock tower.. I hated it.. I loathed it..

1st try winter – failed made a bad jump 3 jumps in
2nd try winter – success
3rd try winter – success

Now if only the rewards were cool :P

in Wintersday

Sugoi Travis.2651

When you finish the puzzle you can look back at everyone else doing it and check out the “hidden vista(?)”

I’m assuming that the completion area IS the “hidden vista,” not that there is an actual vista point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Tower Guard.5263

Tower Guard.5263

The jumping puzzle is easy. Got it on my third try.

in Wintersday

TehPwnerer.7215

I’m assuming that the completion area IS the “hidden vista,” not that there is an actual vista point?

Well yeah but there is an area in the completion zone (beyond a mini jumping puzzle) to get to a high point with a giant red star. Not a vista per se, but it is one nice view.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Vanish.3594

Vanish.3594

Let me preface by saying that I haven’t played Guild Wars 2 since October. It took me a bit, but I finally managed to do it on a regular basis without much difficulty. Hell, I did it while I was buzzed/drunk! All I can say is, up your game! Practice, get better and stop complaining. It’s not as difficult as some of you make it out to be.

in Wintersday

Sugoi Travis.2651

Well yeah but there is an area in the completion zone (beyond a mini jumping puzzle) to get to a high point with a giant red star. Not a vista per se, but it is one nice view.

I’m totally gonna check that out. Thanks man.

in Wintersday

Posted by: seandkiller.8471

seandkiller.8471

only reason I haven’t done this one even though I completed the clocktower is I can’t load in before it starts

in Wintersday

TehPwnerer.7215

I’m totally gonna check that out. Thanks man.

No problem Enjoy!

in Wintersday

sablephoenix.1593

It’s so much easier.

Yeah, thanks for the hot tip, genius. I already do that. I’m not an idiot. The game has no depth cues at all and I still have to pause after every jump to realign myself and hit the next platform. This is why I couldn’t do the Clocktower, there wasn’t time to do that. There isn’t time to do that on this one, either. I’m glad all you twitch-masters can pull it off but I’ve given it twelve tries already and it’s still damned impossible for someone like me.

in Wintersday

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

The only way it could be easier is if they made it a straight solid path to the end. Out of any jumping puzzle in the game this is by far the easiest one I’ve done. The snowflake platforms are so big you almost have to go out of your way to miss them. The only thing that gave me a bit of trouble was the giant snow balls at the end, but that took 2 runs to figure out.

in Wintersday

TehPwnerer.7215

It’s so much easier.

Yeah, thanks for the hot tip, genius. I already do that. I’m not an idiot. The game has no depth cues at all and I still have to pause after every jump to realign myself and hit the next platform. This is why I couldn’t do the Clocktower, there wasn’t time to do that. There isn’t time to do that on this one, either. I’m glad all you twitch-masters can pull it off but I’ve given it twelve tries already and it’s still damned impossible for someone like me.

The guy tries to help and you just flame him. Move along folks, nothing to see here. Another bitter player who doesn’t know how to play so he rages on other people for it. I’d feel sympathy and offer assistance if I didn’t think you were such a bitter, ungrateful person.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Robotsonik.4935

Robotsonik.4935

Even though it still took me about ten tries, I really do agree that it’s easier than the wretched Clocktower

in Wintersday

Posted by: Awe.1096

Awe.1096

It took me around 30 minutes to complete the Mad King jumping puzzle, maybe a little bit more. I failed several times. I did the wintersday jumping puzzle on my FIRST try ever. I never seen that JP before. So maybe I was lucky? Then I came back there again with a friend, failed on my 2nd attempt (fell at boxes stairs) and then completed again on 3rd try. 3 attempts, completed 2 times. Just wanted to place my example against the “even worse than the Clocktower” opinion. Seriously, there are far harder JP in this game. There are really no tricky spots in this one. Speed is a key to everything.

in Wintersday

sablephoenix.1593

Speed is the problem. Some players simply cannot do a jumping puzzle quickly, so making them timed automatically eliminates us from ever completing them. I can do the other jumping puzzles because they’re static and I can take my time on them to line up each jump. I still fall multiple times before completing any given puzzle (they are the worst part of the game bar none), but when they simply do not give you time to line up a jump at all, that is just bad design. Twitchmasters and Counterstrike players can pull it off no problem, I’m sure. Then they sit there and offer patronizing comments and explain how easy it all is. Well for some of us it’s not, and invalidating our experience by explaining how it’s so simple and our problems must be because we’re bad players is insulting and offensive.

in Wintersday

Awe.1096

Use mouse with both buttons pressed to run and just sway your mouse to run into the right direction. It is really easy once you get a hold of this. At least I think so.

in Wintersday

Posted by: RileyTheRad.8542

RileyTheRad.8542

My only complaint about it is the low rewards at the top. The karma was nice, but I don’t really use karma for anything after a month’s worth of jugs+booster. I like the holiday tonic, but it’s not super wow-ing as a reward, and then the one present. ONE? Bad ANet! ; ^ ;

I was feeling the love from the dancing gingerbread men though, that was nice.

Hoopa doopa.

in Wintersday

Posted by: jazzllanna.1278

jazzllanna.1278

Clock tower took me days to complete- I finished this multiple times now in an hour.

in Wintersday

Posted by: SpelignErrir.4263

SpelignErrir.4263

I could probably do the jumping puzzle. I did the clocktower, though it was difficult. The difference is, the clocktower allowed you to try again MUCH faster. I got the “flow” of the jumping puzzle. If you fail this jumping puzzle, however, have fun waiting a minute to try again. You’ll just be bored doing this JP. I had fun with the clocktower. Not with this. See you, jumping puzzle, I’ll be over at the snowball fight if you need me.

in Wintersday

Awe.1096

The new event areas are all gorgeous and really cool, but are way way too fast for my reflexes. I can’t get past the snowflakes after 30 minutes, because by the time I get there, somebody’s already activated them and they melt under me.

Is there a bunny slope for us ‘more casual’ players? I’m on vacation, I want to take it easy, not be stressed by a jumping puzzle that’s harsher than I can handle. I know there’s some crazy-twitch players out there who can do this no sweat, but I’m not one of those. I’d like to enjoy the same content, at my own pace. Not every person runs a marathon to be first, some just enjoy running.

You dont need to complete JP to get the meta achievement. If JP is not your thing I can understand that. I wont call you noob or anything like that. Some people are just better or worse at certain things. That being said, I dont understand why ANet would need to nerf something as the optional JP which is a form of a challenge. Games are about challenge. Should every player around the world be able to complete every video game on the hardest setting? Why?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Zimlobo.3962

Zimlobo.3962

I apologize Sablephoenix, but I do not agree with you. I do not want to come across as argumentative or disrespectful so I’m simply voting down this post. If you ever need a hand in-game look me up an I’ll come running! Happy holidays

in Wintersday

Posted by: PolarisNova.3867

PolarisNova.3867

There’s just no pleasing some people is there?

OP if someone was able to complete a jigsaw puzzle, and you couldn’t…would you write and complain to the jigsaw puzzle maker because it’s too hard for you??

Not everything can be completed by everyone. I never finished the Mad King Clock Tower after hours upon hours of trying. I take it in good spirit, was blinking fun trying!

~Lady Amelia of the House of Rose~

in Wintersday

TehPwnerer.7215

OP if someone was able to complete a jigsaw puzzle, and you couldn’t…would you write and complain to the jigsaw puzzle maker because it’s too hard for you??

Not everything can be completed by everyone. I never finished the Mad King Clock Tower after hours upon hours of trying. I take it in good spirit, was blinking fun trying!

This is exactly what I think every time I see a thread like this.

in Wintersday

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

This has nothing to do with reflex, its all about muscle memory.

in Wintersday

sablephoenix.1593

You can take as long as you like to finish a jigsaw puzzle. The comparison is invalid.

Now, if you had to complete a jigsaw puzzle in five minutes or it dumped you in a freezing pool of water, then yes, I’d complain.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Lutheran.9687

Lutheran.9687

Did the jumping puzzle here 5 times and succeeded 4 times. The easier path I found was the gingerbread man path. Either way it is a lot of fun to me and a just right challenge wise. The halloween jumping puzzle was really hard by comparison.

The only thing I wish is that the rewards at the end were a bit better. 3 presents isn’t that amazing after a while.

in Wintersday

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

Thanks for making this thread. I’ll save it in my favorites so I can show it to my guildmates and reread it when I want to have a good laugh. Thanks again.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

How can you say that it is impossible when I beat in 2 tries. A friend of mine beat on his first try. Are you trolling?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Blackie.8762

Blackie.8762

Stop crying. This jumping puzzle is way better than clocktower. They even made it so you start in your own little area to avoid crybabies like you saying you cant see your toon.

in Wintersday

Posted by: ClanTzimisce.1269

ClanTzimisce.1269

I still haven’t succeeded, and I’ve made several attempts, but in each attempt I got a little bit further. I’m terrible at jumping puzzles, but this one I have had a blast with. I made it past the presents and just MIGHT have made it all the way if I hadn’t fell down the side after the last snowball part. haha, that being said. Even when I fell, it was fun because I got to watch the rest of my server try, and could cheer them on.

The Jump Puzzle is great A-Net, and don’t let anyone tell you different.

in Wintersday

Posted by: wildcode.5403

wildcode.5403

I too am finding this puzzle frustrating for a number of reasons including jumping short because of lag, bursting forward cause of cpu playing catchup, getting to the boxes only to have them vanish from under you, to nearly getting to the end only to be defeated for no apparent reason.

in Wintersday

Posted by: iicontreii.7351

iicontreii.7351

easiest puzzle than clock towers one.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Kintoun Zetto.2651

Kintoun Zetto.2651

As a former manager of an mmo server, quite frankly I am highly disappointed, though not surprised, by the reaction of people in the community to things like this jumping puzzle. Are you guys seriously complaining about an optional piece of bonus content thrown in as a special challenge? Emphasis on challenge. It’s supposed to be fudge balls hard, that’s why it’s a challenge. I’m highly confused by these claims of incompetence directed towards a company that has managed to relatively keep up with monthly content updates, something other mmos, including subscription ones, have consistently failed to maintain. Especially when “the super hard, extra high difficulty bonus challenge is too hard!” is basically what you’re saying. It’s supposed to be super duper duper hard. Come on guys, use some sense.

I suck at jump puzzles. Bad. I mean, absolutely, atrociously bad. I however, except this and am able to move on with my life. I will still try the holiday puzzle, just to say that I have.

To those who have issues rendering the snowflakes, mayhaps an upgrade so that your system meets the -recommended- system requirements, will assist you in that endeavor. If you meet those requirements, yet still have issues of game breaking magnitude, it is highly likely you need to adjust your graphics setting. Might I suggest turning off post processing and shadow effects? Maybe tune the shader as well. I don’t mean to sound snide or presumptuous, trying to offer constructive advice here. Please don’t whine at me about not being able to afford the upgrade, my only response to that is it’s not fair to expect Anet to water down new content for every player out there, simply because your video card is bunk.

I guess what I’m trying to say, tl;dr and all that:

Why in god’s name would you complain about getting MORE bonus content, that is utterly unessential and optional in every way, when other games don’t add jack month after month? The very concept of this confuses me. That is all, thank you.

in Wintersday

Posted by: GuiAzzi.8653

GuiAzzi.8653

WHAT? I completed it on my FIRST TRY. You can only be joking...

(And Clocktower was AWESOME) :3

in Wintersday

Posted by: spreadsheets.9805

spreadsheets.9805

this is so much easier, i’m actually disappointed. was looking forward to another challenging jumping puzzle. but this is pretty much one where you can’t really fall off unless you want to, with a very forgiving timer on it.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Mega Messiah.1734

Mega Messiah.1734

I managed to clear this in literally my first attempt within 5 minutes of the puzzle releasing.

I was disappointed that it was so easy. That being said, it REALLY isn’t harder than the Mad King’s Clocktower. For one thing, they split the players between 3 distinct platforms and, by the time you get to the parts where they merge, most people should have fallen, making the traffic a lot lighter. The design is also a lot more open, rather than having you deal with half your screen being covered by a tower.

It’s not that bad. If anything, they listened to all the feedback, but these things should retain SOME challenge, not be a linear hop between some slightly skewed snowflakes.

“73 + 22 = 100!” – Nexus

in Wintersday

Posted by: Kintoun Zetto.2651

Kintoun Zetto.2651

You can take as long as you like to finish a jigsaw puzzle. The comparison is invalid.

Now, if you had to complete a jigsaw puzzle in five minutes or it dumped you in a freezing pool of water, then yes, I’d complain.

No, YOUR comparison is invalid good sir. As a jumping puzzle that was clearly listed as having a time limit, that is supposed to be super hard, it’s your fault for participating if you can’t handle that. What you’re saying is that if you bought a jigsaw puzzle that specifically said in huge lettering on the box COMPLETE IN FIVE MINUTES OR BE DUMPED IN FREEZING WATER (some assembly required), then you would complain about it because the puzzle did exactly what it said on the box in every way, to the letter.

Don’t buy the jigsaw puzzle that advertises those features. Similarly, don’t do the OPTIONAL jump puzzle whose rewards are acquirable elsewhere. If someone starts complaining that it hurts real bad when they punch themselves in the face, you’d probably tell them that the best solution is to stop punching themselves in the face, right?

So dude, stop punching yourself in the face. Just stop.