Winter Wonderland Jumping Puzzle Debacle

in Wintersday

Posted by: Shayne Hawke.9160

Shayne Hawke.9160

This puzzle is incredibly easy in comparison to Clock Tower, and the bulk of that is just in how the timing mechanic works.

Clock Tower is very unforgiving. If you start to fall behind at any point in the puzzle, you get sucked up immediately. This means that you need to be on your toes for the entire puzzle and hardly ever get a chance to really see where you’re going. You’ll have to fail three or four runs to really understand a difficult jump, and each one of those failures sends you back to the lobby for another minute or two.

In contrast, the Wintersday puzzle allows for much more freedom. If you take it slow on the beginning, then sure, you’ll not have enough time left at the end to get the prize. However, you’ll at least have had the full amount of time to make yourself familiar and comfortable with the first section(s) of the puzzle. With less pressure on you to always stay ahead, you have ample opportunity to practice until you’re fast enough to get to the later sections and, eventually, to the finish.

I was able to do it after three or four runs, maybe all of ten minutes spent there. Compared to the hours of agony I had to put in to champion the Clock Tower, I would consider this festival’s puzzle to be much easier.

YT channel - GW2 Activity vids and more
Activities are dead.
Sanctum Sprint record times: any checkpoints – 39.333, all checkpoints – 1:55.633

in Wintersday

Posted by: jokermo.3058

jokermo.3058

ArenaNet, did you learn nothing at all from the fiasco that was the Mad King’s Clocktower?

The Winter Wonderland is even worse than the Clocktower. I didn’t think it could be done, but somehow you did it. You made a jumping puzzle that is even more impossible (yes, I know that it’s impossible to be more than impossible, but this is indeed even more impossible). Those of us who have trouble with the existing jumping puzzles (whether because of the movement engine’s fiddly hitboxes, the myopic field of view and lack of depth cues, poor reflexes or disabilities, or any other reason) are completely screwed for this one; there is no hope whatsoever of getting its achievement.

I thought you were going to be inclusive to all players with your content, but apparently there is in fact some content that’s locked away from a section of the playerbase by design.

Do not repeat this performance in subsequent events.

It’s so much easier.

Here’s a tip that can apply to a lot of jumping puzzles to make them easier:

Click and hold down the right mouse button as you run the puzzle

Yeah, thanks for the hot tip, genius. I already do that. I’m not an idiot. The game has no depth cues at all and I still have to pause after every jump to realign myself and hit the next platform. This is why I couldn’t do the Clocktower, there wasn’t time to do that. There isn’t time to do that on this one, either. I’m glad all you twitch-masters can pull it off but I’ve given it twelve tries already and it’s still damned impossible for someone like me.

agreed my camera is practically riding my neck the whole time and to top it off im getting slowed down makes no sense to have no idea where im going
i liked the clocktower and this one is ok but i never finished the clocktower owing to the extreme difficulty and this one appears to be no better

and id like to add this is not easy you might think it is the clocktower was insane and this one is just as bad with not one path but three that appear to change each time

plus the waiting after ive fallen off the first snowflake is enough to make me give up first try

(edited by jokermo.3058)

in Wintersday

Posted by: Darx.9842

Darx.9842

Just did it my first try……

Stop crying

in Wintersday

Posted by: Avster.1935

Avster.1935

Are you kidding me OP? Stop whining please. It’s optional – so if you don’t/can’t do it, then just leave it be. That and as every echoed in their posts already, its MUCH easier than the Halloween JP, but it still maintains a certain level is challenge which is exactly what we need from these special event puzzles.

Challenging + Exciting JP > Boring Easy Reward JP.

Evelyn Whitehawk | Exalted Legend | Demons’s Demise | I Transmuted My Legendary Medium Coat

in Wintersday

Posted by: spreadsheets.9805

spreadsheets.9805

You can take as long as you like to finish a jigsaw puzzle. The comparison is invalid.

Now, if you had to complete a jigsaw puzzle in five minutes or it dumped you in a freezing pool of water, then yes, I’d complain.

No, YOUR comparison is invalid good sir. As a jumping puzzle that was clearly listed as having a time limit, that is supposed to be super hard, it’s your fault for participating if you can’t handle that. What you’re saying is that if you bought a jigsaw puzzle that specifically said in huge lettering on the box COMPLETE IN FIVE MINUTES OR BE DUMPED IN FREEZING WATER (some assembly required), then you would complain about it because the puzzle did exactly what it said on the box in every way, to the letter.

Don’t buy the jigsaw puzzle that advertises those features. Similarly, don’t do the OPTIONAL jump puzzle whose rewards are acquirable elsewhere. If someone starts complaining that it hurts real bad when they punch themselves in the face, you’d probably tell them that the best solution is to stop punching themselves in the face, right?

So dude, stop punching yourself in the face. Just stop.

this is not a good point. while i don’t think sablephoenix is right, it doesnt make sense to respond to criticism with “well it said it would do that”.

imagine someone had an actual valid point as to why it was a bad idea to make a jigsaw puzzle that will dump you into freezing water. it doesn’t matter if you then write on the box of that puzzle “yeah this thing is kind of bad”, the point still stands that it would probably have been better to make it not bad.

in Wintersday

Posted by: jokermo.3058

jokermo.3058

Are you kidding me OP? Stop whining please. It’s optional – so if you don’t/can’t do it, then just leave it be. That and as every echoed in their posts already, its MUCH easier than the Halloween JP, but it still maintains a certain level is challenge which is exactly what we need from these special event puzzles.

Challenging + Exciting JP > Boring Easy Reward JP.

yes because FUN always comes from repeated attempts to FAIL
there should be some sense of getting better not tremendous failure every time everyone should be enjoying this but either cant or find it near impossible to even get past the first few snowflakes
i could care less about the rewards that i dont even like in the first place i would just like to be able to actually complete the damn thing

i will say if i wasnt being slowed down during the puzzle i wouldnt complain but the lack of any ability to do more then a bunny hop due to freezing before i even start is not Fun for me

(edited by jokermo.3058)

in Wintersday

Posted by: Veritas.6071

Veritas.6071

Halloween took me 4.5 hours. I finished the Christmas puzzle in less than 10 tries. It is not more difficult. Nor are there as many issues with FoV, herds of norn/charr, or insane paths. I think they hit the nail on the head this time.

Ve·ri·tas [English ver-i-tahs] A Latin noun meaning Truth.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Power.2957

Power.2957

Are you drunk? This is thousands of times easier than the clock tower. It is much slower, much higher margin of error, and much less laggy.

“Power is like the illuminati of Guild Wars.” -Loshon

in Wintersday

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Speed is the problem. Some players simply cannot do a jumping puzzle quickly, so making them timed automatically eliminates us from ever completing them. I can do the other jumping puzzles because they’re static and I can take my time on them to line up each jump. I still fall multiple times before completing any given puzzle (they are the worst part of the game bar none), but when they simply do not give you time to line up a jump at all, that is just bad design. Twitchmasters and Counterstrike players can pull it off no problem, I’m sure. Then they sit there and offer patronizing comments and explain how easy it all is. Well for some of us it’s not, and invalidating our experience by explaining how it’s so simple and our problems must be because we’re bad players is insulting and offensive.

No one is saying you are bad players. But just because you cannot do it does not mean there is anything wrong with it. It’s called a challenge for a reason. If you could take all the time in the world to do it and plan your next move in hours instead of mere seconds it wouldn’t even be considered a challenge.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

This one is definitely easier than the clocktower. The tower I could never beat, even after several total hours working on it with multiple characters, but this one I managed in around ten tries, fifteen tops. I even got right to the end on my 7-8th try, but didn’t realize it and kept going up the hill (do not keep going up the hill). There’s a lot more types of tricks to this one, but over all it’s quite doable.

The major differences are that 1. I never felt too pressured by the world coming after me from behind like the green ooze (I only had the floor fall from beneath me a couple times), and 2. it wasn’t relentlessly clockwise spiralling, which using mouse turning got very uncomfortable to keep up on the clocktower. There are a few tight loops on the snowflakes, but fairly minimal over all.

There was some camera issues on my Asura, especially on the box jumping portion, and I really do loath the “wait here until everyone’s done, NOW GO” style of jump puzzle, but the puzzle itself was pretty great.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

in Wintersday

Posted by: Twoflower.7031

Twoflower.7031

I’ve spent 3 hours on this, and haven’t even got past the snowflakes yet – and I love it! It’s nice to see actually difficult content, and I know that once I do it it’s going to feel all the better for the effort!

in Wintersday

Posted by: Dicellol.4153

Dicellol.4153

If anything I found it TOO easy.
The clock tower was a CHALLENGE that separated boys from men in a way.
Anet basically gave us a free achievement with this one but was still great fun. I’ve completed it about 20 times to farm the chest at the end.

Sea of Sorrows #1
Team Shatter [TS]

in Wintersday

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

ArenaNet, did you learn nothing at all from the fiasco that was the Mad King’s Clocktower?

The Winter Wonderland is even worse than the Clocktower. I didn’t think it could be done, but somehow you did it. You made a jumping puzzle that is even more impossible (yes, I know that it’s impossible to be more than impossible, but this is indeed even more impossible). .

Nooo, this puzzle is easier than clock tower for sure and is even easier than the JP from the November event. The difference is that this puzzle is actually fun once you figure it out.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Tara.7931

Tara.7931

I’ve had ongoing problems with jumping in games – I’m just terrible at them. Mario – couldn’t get past 3rd level usually, Tomb raider I was only saved by Lara’s magical grippy hands, etc. I love they included jumping puzzles in gw2 though because I feel especially good when I complete them, and I perfectly understand there are people with many different levels of skill.
However, i would have liked to experience this jumping puzzle all the way through, but I simply do not have the coordination to jump that quick, that accurately.. I’m a measure and then do it person :P
Maybe as a suggestion for next JP, there is timed jumps, not timed “puzzles” or there is a timed version and a non-timed version. I’m perfectly happy with no “loot” at the end, but would like to see the different designs and models etc within the elaborate setting these jumping puzzles are in but with the difficulty (for me) I simply have to be satisfied with looking at it on youtube :S
I know it’s an optional content, and I do think they are fantastic, and timed ones are fantastic. I just.. would like a seasonal event to be more accessible (is that the word?) I by no means think this should apply to all jumping puzzles. ( the one with the bomb + griffons scares me and shouldn’t be changed :P)

in Wintersday

Posted by: Ironcloud.3892

Ironcloud.3892

I did it first try, MUCH easier than Clocktower.

If anything it should be made even harder… It didn’t really feel like an achievement.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Aegael.6938

Aegael.6938

Speed is the problem. Some players simply cannot do a jumping puzzle quickly, so making them timed automatically eliminates us from ever completing them. I can do the other jumping puzzles because they’re static and I can take my time on them to line up each jump. I still fall multiple times before completing any given puzzle (they are the worst part of the game bar none), but when they simply do not give you time to line up a jump at all, that is just bad design. Twitchmasters and Counterstrike players can pull it off no problem, I’m sure. Then they sit there and offer patronizing comments and explain how easy it all is. Well for some of us it’s not, and invalidating our experience by explaining how it’s so simple and our problems must be because we’re bad players is insulting and offensive.

Time is the problem. Some players simply cannot spend more than 30 minutes on a 5-man instance, and that eliminates us from ever completing them. I can do heart quests because they’re static and I can take my time on them killing each mob as slow as I can. I go down many times because I’m awful at the game. But when they simply do not make it so that dungeons are completed in 5 minutes, that is just bad design. NEETs and No-lifers can do it, I’m sure. Then they sit there and offer patronizing comments and explain how the instance took a relatively short amount of time. Well for some of us it’s not, and invalidating our experience by explaining how we need to spend 30 minutes to complete a dungeon is insulting and offensive.

^— OP realizes he is awful at dungeons and makes a new rage post in the Dungeon forums calling for difficulty nerfs

(edited by Aegael.6938)

in Wintersday

Posted by: ArtemusHunter.9521

ArtemusHunter.9521

Honestly, and I mean brutal honesty here, if you are having too much trouble with this puzzle, go on a puzzle run. I suggest Spekks Lab, Goemm Lab and possibly the eternal battlegrounds puzzle.

If you can get Spekks lab done in 1-3 tries, goemms down 1-2 tries and get the WvW eternal battlegrounds puzzle done in 20-30 minutes(which now to me is slacking and taking it easy, unless attacked by enemies), then any speed challenge jumping puzzle will be a breeze to you. If you are having hardware/software/framerate issues then timed jumping puzzles are out of the question for you until you upgrade. If that’s not the case, which I’m not saying it is or not, then give up. It’s proven by your thread that it can be done; and that it is easier then the clocktower.

The clocktower was buggy. MAJORLY buggy. which is why it was hard. ANet smoothed it out drastically over the time it was available. It took me 2-4 hours on that to get it done, but I finished it. The Wintersday JP I finished on my 7th try but compared to the clocktower, which after i finished i couldnt finish again for some time, It’s a run in the park.

Train your Hand-Eye Coordination or get better hardware. If you can’t do that then give up on it and get the gifts another way. I mean, right now, its not really worth it for people like you(not meant to be offensive). There are much more productive ways to get 3 gifts.

I apologize if you are one of those with disabilities, But if you are one of those that cries impossible after a few(10-20) tries to any JP.. gtfo and learn the controls in other puzzles. seriously.

IGN: Floyd Hunter
TheRavingNecromancer.tumblr.com

in Wintersday

Posted by: monk.4561

monk.4561

howdy folks, i couldn’t even get to do the jump…because every time the jump puzzle loads, all the people were 3-4 jump ahead of me. All i could see is the snow flakes crumbling. I have a reasonably up today computer(i play every day) and broadband access (ATT claims its fiber-optial line). so what am i missing here? is it me? or is it the game? or is it all the other people?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

Yeah speed is the problem for me with these JPs. My reaction time and mouse accuracy are not good enough for these anymore so they’re pretty much impossible for me to complete. Fun to try this one too of course but will be left uncompleted for me just like the clocktower.

in Wintersday

ArtemusHunter.9521

howdy folks, i couldn’t even get to do the jump…because every time the jump puzzle loads, all the people were 3-4 jump ahead of me. All i could see is the snow flakes crumbling. I have a reasonably up today computer(i play every day) and broadband access (ATT claims its fiber-optial line). so what am i missing here? is it me? or is it the game? or is it all the other people?

Are you sure everything(hardware wise) is up-to-date? Have you tried other ethernet cables(or actually using one if you go wireless)? Is you’re modem/router up to par with your net? Usually an ISP ‘says’ you get so much but they can never guarantee it. I’m supposed to have 3Mb upload and download but I was barely downloading todays patch. It fluctuated between 1.6Mb/s to 100Kb/s and my modem is brand new.

If everything is up to day, then it’s just your connection to ANet’s servers. I had some slow loads, but never usually that much..

in Wintersday

ArtemusHunter.9521

Yeah speed is the problem for me with these JPs. My reaction time and mouse accuracy are not good enough for these anymore so they’re pretty much impossible for me to complete. Fun to try this one too of course but will be left uncompleted for me just like the clocktower.

have you tried increasing the mouse speed or even getting a faster mouse?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

Hehe mouse is fine. With mouse accuracy I ment my own accuracy, not the mouse’s. Faster brain might do the trick

in Wintersday

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

This puzzle was not too hard and a lot of fun.

If you don’t like jumping puzzles, stop doing them. The rewards for this one aren’t as good as the Halloween puzzle anyway.

in Wintersday

ArtemusHunter.9521

Hehe mouse is fine. With mouse accuracy I ment my own accuracy, not the mouse’s. Faster brain might do the trick

If you need some help, I dont mind doing spekks lab, goemms lab and the eternal battlegrounds jp with ya. Those three, doing them over and over to the point where you can almost do it blindfolded will most likely help with other jp’s

in Wintersday

Posted by: Calsifer.6079

Calsifer.6079

How is it harder?

The Halloween JP took me roughly 30min-1hr to complete whilst I finished this JP on my FIRST THREE tries and proceeded to complete it another 3 times in my 5 following attempts.

IT’S WAY EASIER.

Ninja Stokk – Thief. CD.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

This has nothing to do with reflex, its all about muscle memory.

How is it all about muscle memory when I did it first time? I didn’t know you could have memory of something you haven’t done before

Also, how is it muscle memory if there are three, different paths?

hue

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

(edited by Writetyper.1985)

in Wintersday

Posted by: nelopp.6140

nelopp.6140

This one is much more easy than halloween jp. I finish this one in less than 10 tries and 5hr for halloween one. If you still can’t finish, go to see guides on YouTube to learn.

in Wintersday

Posted by: xerca.6135

xerca.6135

I did the puzzle in my third try. Fell the first two times because I jumped at the wrong time, because I am not used to Charr jumping on two legs. XD

in Wintersday

Posted by: Calsifer.6079

Calsifer.6079

Yeah, thanks for the hot tip, genius. I already do that. I’m not an idiot. The game has no depth cues at all and I still have to pause after every jump to realign myself and hit the next platform. This is why I couldn’t do the Clocktower, there wasn’t time to do that. There isn’t time to do that on this one, either. I’m glad all you twitch-masters can pull it off but I’ve given it twelve tries already and it’s still damned impossible for someone like me.

Have you ever thought of maybe increasing your mouse sensitivity so you don’t have to take time to line up every jump?

Also, if you are the kind of person that has to take time to line up every jump perfectly or you’ll fail, you’re pretty much the minority as most people have no problem putting out a fast-ish pace in JPs. You don’t have to be a twitch master to complete this JP, just don’t be stupid and set up your mouse with a sensitivity higher than ‘1’.

Ninja Stokk – Thief. CD.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Nevermore.5487

Nevermore.5487

Lmao, have you taken into consideration you suck perhaps? I did it in 7 tries, took me like 20 minutes in total to finish it. It’s nowhere near clocktower

in Wintersday

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

This time the jumping puzzle is better.
1st you have 3 paths so even if you are 15 people at the start you will be split in 3 groups x5.
2nd it’s good to have some challenge and i like that it’s a timed run.
And 3rd i can bet that more than 70% of the people will be able to do it.
The puzzle is nothing no where near as hard as the MKCT so stop whining.

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

in Wintersday

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Looking forward to the next Jumping Puzzle

Attachments:

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

in Wintersday

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

Yea me too Kokiman.I really love what Anet gives us

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

in Wintersday

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

This. I do jumping puzzles by lining up the camera and making forward leaps from place to place. It’s worked for me so far, since I’ve done most of the jumping puzzles in the game this way, but it doesn’t really work when the platforms disintegrate beneath you.

Every time I’ve tried this one either the snowflakes crumble while I’m on them or in my haste to keep up I misjudge a jump.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Haru No Kage.9280

Haru No Kage.9280

This one is like super easy, I didn’t get your point. I failed the halloween, with this I agreed but this one I succeed it ten times in 30 min. Well maybe you lagging too much but the puzzle isn’t hard at all.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

I’m bad at timed JPs as well. The thing that helped me out in this puzzle was:

It helps a lot

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

in Wintersday

Posted by: Groonz.7825

Groonz.7825

This makes me laugh, even HARDER than the clockwork? this is actually easier. Others who couldn’t complete the halloween jumping puzzle have said and managed to complete the wintersday jumping puzzle after a few attempts.

How can this one be harder? the clockwork jumping puzzle was more hectic and faster. The wintersday one follows a similiar concept but at a slower pace.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Myrrdhinn.5627

Myrrdhinn.5627

The same problem here. The first platform melts infront of my eyes, when it’s finally loads.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Hologramx.6402

Hologramx.6402

They think everyone are like teenagers who has the reflexes to complete this easily.

It is simply like a 100 meter race that requires you to complete in 12 seconds. If you are still not at the finishing line by that 12 seconds, you are kicked back to the starting line. The design of the JP is good but the implementation is just a no brainer.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Mira.4071

Mira.4071

Its not harder than the clock tower. I spent 4 hours trying to beat the clock tower.

I spent 4 hours farming the winter wonderland for boxes.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Shear Force.9154

Shear Force.9154

Did it on first try, probably a fluke but you cant stand around you just run and this one is easier than mad kings one or even the floating stones one.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Serious question for you guys, which method do you use to control movements:

• WASD (left) and mouse view/control (right), or
  • arrow keys to control all movement

Call me old-fashioned but the last time I used WASD and the mouse was in HL2. I’ve been using the arrow keys since GW1 and kind of gave up on the reliance of the mouse usage. I do understand this is what can hinder the progress within the specified time, as you’re running up the snowflakes as you’re constantly lining up the next move with the arrow keys, but others aren’t used to using the mouse (like me) which is obviously a lot quicker while just holding W and hitting the spacebar occasionally. Something I gotta get used to again with the JP’s.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

in Wintersday

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Things supposed to be “super hard” should not be available for a very limited time once a year.

It gives people a feeling of urgency and frustration that should not have during a festival.

Period.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Wintersday

Posted by: Shear Force.9154

Shear Force.9154

Use mouse, allows you for much faster turns, dont even have to let go of W that way just RUN

in Wintersday

Posted by: Adam.4103

Adam.4103

My only problem with it is the insane waiting time if you fail.

Adam The Vanquisher
Gandara

in Wintersday

Posted by: ykyk.2740

ykyk.2740

I can’t believe people are complaining about this one. It’s ridiculously easy.

in Wintersday

Posted by: wintermute.4096

wintermute.4096

Things supposed to be “super hard” should not be available for a very limited time once a year.

It gives people a feeling of urgency and frustration that should not have during a festival.

Period.

The thing is, it is not super hard by any stretch of the imagination. It is mildly difficult at best.

Personally, I loved the clocktower, but apparently, anet has given in to all the whining and made it so easy everyone will finish it now sooner or later.

in Wintersday

Posted by: nelopp.6140

nelopp.6140

Period.

It is nowhere closed to “hard”. If you are not happy with this single event, there are always other events you can do. No one force you to do things you don’t like. You can play snowball fight, bell choir or doing the routine dungeons, spvp or wvw. This jumping puzzle gives nothing unique, so why bother to make yourself upset?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Puru.4217

Puru.4217

The waiting time is atrocious.

The puzzle itself is ridiculously easy. I really miss the masterpiece that was the clocktower. Not saying this one is bad, it has some good idea and i still enjoyed it.

It’s not my fault if S/P is not popular !!!

in Wintersday

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

It’s clear they’re not listening, they’re just doing what they want.

The visuals are amazing. The gameplay, and design? Terrible, misses the mark of the core audience by a mile.