Wintersday Jumping Puzzle Thread

in Wintersday

Posted by: Rhialto.8423

Rhialto.8423

Here’s my thought about the jumping puzzle: I can’t wait.

That is all.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I hope it’s difficult. Those kind of jumping puzzles are fun.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Sampo.9678

Sampo.9678

I have my hopes on a jp as hard or even harder than mad kings clocktower.

I do think they should make a jp once with some different difficulties you can choose from..
But only when they also make an extremely difficult one :p.
One that only expierenced jumpers can do (like people that had no problems with clocktower)

“Be brave, little rabbit. Take a chance.”

in Wintersday

Posted by: drclawizdead.8214

drclawizdead.8214

Let’s hope it’s a difficult one.

Seriously what makes the jump puzzles hard is the shoddy camera clipping through walls. That’s why I like the open air ones

in Wintersday

Posted by: Sleel.8365

Sleel.8365

if only regular human beings with a hint of real life had a moderate chance to get the Tower, I would have gotten it.

I usually play 3 to 4 hours a week (including weekends) and i managed to do it multiple times.
I don’t see your problem to be honest.

Well, other then that jumping puzzles are boring as stale kitten #8230;.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Fox.3469

Fox.3469

i want to knock people off with snowballs ^^

If you are looking for a cozy mature Dutch guild (EU) let me know.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Yinn.6507

Yinn.6507

More difficult than clocktower please.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Stonehenge.7830

Stonehenge.7830

All you people wanting a more difficult jumping puzzle than the clocktower need to realize that puzzles like that while fun for a small percentage of players cause those that can’t do it for whatever reason to complain. I personally farmed the clocktower with relative ease, however my friends and guildmates couldn’t. Some had tiny asuras, laggy ISPs, slow fps from a slightly out of date PC, or didn’t have that skill set. Holiday events are supposed to be fun and enjoyable to all not a select few. If you want a very difficult JP then ANET can make one that is permanent in the world so you guys/gals can test your jumping metal. Maybe even a fractalesk type JP where there are altering paths. Either way, I want a fun JP but not an overly difficult one.

Johanne Timber – [Heap] – Borlis Pass
Stonehenge Grr – [Heap]

in Wintersday

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I’m all for varying difficulties of JPs, no doubts there. But Anthony Orden has confirmed in other threads in this forum that the rest of the content for this event will be, essentially, baby-mode. It’s there for everyone to enjoy. There’s going to already be a metric boatload of content for the player who isn’t very good / isn’t even max level. In lieu of that, I hope that at least this one thing is aimed for a more talented crowd. If everything in this event is super easy, it’s going to be boring for a big part of the player base. Similarly, if everything were uber hard, it’d be boring for the players who can’t do that content; we don’t have to worry about the casuals getting left behind this event, though, according to Anthony.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in Wintersday

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

The jumping puzzle is optional. If it’s too difficult then don’t do it. Simple enough.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

I did proceed to update the original post with some information about the new jumping puzzle from Massively.com’s preview:

—Still timer timed.

—Still grouped/batches of players.

—3 separate paths that can be taken, so less congestion.

Well, good luck and see you all in the dead pits below ;P

in Wintersday

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

Oh kitten not another timer timed one :I
I like a challenge and all, but that the only way to make it a challenge is timed… meh.
Well hopefully not quite as stressful a timer as Clock Tower. Will ofc. try.
Good luck peoples.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Wasdclick.1764

Wasdclick.1764

I don’t mind the difficulty usually.

But the Clock Tower was impossible for me to complete. The constant spinning made me motion sick, and I could never get more than a couple of tries at a time.

If it’s rapid-fire jumping like Spekk’s I’ll be fine. I might even do it like a bawss with only a few tries. But if heavy camera motion (or motion tricks like Clock Tower) gets tossed in, I’ll have to quit doing event JPs.

As it is, it looks like that won’t be an issue. Thankfully.

Also: Clock Tower’s platform didn’t move. Because if they did, even the most mundane jump would be impossible due to relativity. Those platforms appeared to be moving very fast, and if you jump, you’d go in a straight line while the platform would curve away from your jumping path.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Fox.3469

Fox.3469

Also: Clock Tower’s platform didn’t move. Because if they did, even the most mundane jump would be impossible due to relativity. Those platforms appeared to be moving very fast, and if you jump, you’d go in a straight line while the platform would curve away from your jumping path.

Correct, you could glitch out of the map and see it from the side, there you see that it’s te actual tower that is moving around, the platforms stay in place, nice piece of illusion ^^

If you are looking for a cozy mature Dutch guild (EU) let me know.

in Wintersday

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

I hope its the reverse of the clocktower, so playing asura is actually the easy option instead of being completely blinded by fat charr and norns.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Ice of Dragons.1637

Ice of Dragons.1637

Cant wait for the new puzzle. Hope it will be this chilled calm experience. Like the Halloween was intense the way it should be. Some Searching for easter maybe ?

in Wintersday

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

I hope it’s harder than the Clocktower so that I can have as much, if not more, fun as I did with that. The hours I spent on the Clocktower are the most memorable for me in years; it was such a blast. I also loved how people complained about the Norn/Charr scaling, yet I succeeded repeatedly and reliably despite it.

It’s so satisfying being able to do the hardest jumping puzzles in the game while others fail and complain about the difficulty on the forums. Call me sadistic, but I think it’s a good thing that only the top X% of the population can succeed at certain content!

It’s people like you who ruin holiday events. They’re not so that elitist jerks like you can get their virtual rocks off while others fail. The events are in game so people can enjoy the festivities and have some fun for a few weeks.

Get over yourself. Having completed the Halloween jumping puzzle on all 12 of my characters, I do not feel any better than someone who didn’t.

And @Whoever said that they hope there’s PvP? I would absolutely hate if there was PvP involved in this jumping puzzle.

in Wintersday

Posted by: mapokl.3167

mapokl.3167

I hope its the reverse of the clocktower, so playing asura is actually the easy option instead of being completely blinded by fat charr and norns.

I done Mad Tower few times as human, and charrs or nords never bothered me, except beginning first few tries. When i got to jump of faith i realised that was not fault of charr or nords. If after first few jump you were still in the crowd you couldn’t done it anyway on that try. And it’s actually the charr and nords that are handicapped in nearly every jp.

My tip is, don’t look where you char is, but look where you jumping, and where you jump after that. Camera is cantered around you char, and amazingly you char is always at the some place in the middle of screen.

in Wintersday

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

dont forget we will also have 3 weeks to try and get this one done not just a weekend like we did with the mad king

in Wintersday

Posted by: Zeone.4627

Zeone.4627

There seems to be an element of entitlement from some people in this thread, as if not having the skill and patience should give the same rewards to someone that does not. Computer games don’t work that way.

In fact, the risk should match the reward. And in the case of the clocktower, it was defiantly appropriate as you got an 80 exotic for completion for a few hours work.

Personally, I found it fun and I’m really looking forward to the next challenge. And I’m quite happy to see that they’re addressing the problems which are unrelated to personal skill (other players blocking the view) which should make the whole thing more enjoyable.

in Wintersday

Siphaed.9235

And the jumping puzzle is freakin’ awesome! Super sweet and 100x better than Clocktower!

in Wintersday

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

There seems to be an element of entitlement from some people in this thread, as if not having the skill and patience should give the same rewards to someone that does not. Computer games don’t work that way.

In fact, the risk should match the reward. And in the case of the clocktower, it was defiantly appropriate as you got an 80 exotic for completion for a few hours work.

Personally, I found it fun and I’m really looking forward to the next challenge. And I’m quite happy to see that they’re addressing the problems which are unrelated to personal skill (other players blocking the view) which should make the whole thing more enjoyable.

Agreed on all accounts. Good post. +1

in Wintersday

Siphaed.9235

Agreed on all accounts. Good post. +1

I agree as well on that they’ve kept the challenge, but gotten rid of the congestion. It’s also insane that people demand it to be rewarding to them just because they cannot complete it from one reason or another. The thing is fun, enjoyable fun.

in Wintersday

Posted by: tweeve.3782

tweeve.3782

I find the wintersday jumping puzzle really fun.
Took me about 20-30min to beat it the first time. I have now been doing it over and over again for the last 4 hours. I am also in an overflow server that is now empty. Which is fun.

in Wintersday

Posted by: wildcode.5403

wildcode.5403

if anything the developers did listen a little to the “cant see yourself cause of the mob” complaints, I am finding the white cross on the boxes make it easier to see where I am. But I am still failing at this.

To those who have done it or found it easy, congrats, but some of us are having issues with it and even watchign the youtube vid shed no light on why I am getting defeated at the end even though I was doing the same things the guy in the video was doing.

in Wintersday

Siphaed.9235

if anything the developers did listen a little to the “cant see yourself cause of the mob” complaints, I am finding the white cross on the boxes make it easier to see where I am. But I am still failing at this.

To those who have done it or found it easy, congrats, but some of us are having issues with it and even watchign the youtube vid shed no light on why I am getting defeated at the end even though I was doing the same things the guy in the video was doing.

At which part is the end that you’re referring to?

If it’s general defeat, you may have run out of health. The “timer” this time is represented by your health constantly depleting due to frostbite from the cold, and the only solution is to get into the warm safety of the chest room. There’s many of times I’ve gotten there to the end and nearly lost because I had 300HP left and that was it (once I failed and died on the presents with 0hp because of it).

Or, are there other areas that are defeating you? The snowballs aren’t the only problem near the end, as there’s a sneaky Asura that’s throwning ice shards down that path too (represented by red rings that can be dodged out of …but do not dodge off the cliff!).

Also, notice how there’s a snowman right after the Q-Bert style presents that you have to watch visually and listen audibly because he blows wind to try to knock you off before you’re no the peppermint log to the snowball roll.

If anyone’s getting an issue with the Q-Bert style presents, just remember to stay right (as I did in the video). The right side is the slowest to ‘pop’ before they all disappear and it’s the easiest to climb.

Hopefully those tips help people having some trouble with the jumping puzzle. And have some fun. If you don’t find it fun, don’t try it. It’s not required and it’s better to skip it for something fun than to torture yourself into something you don’t like.

P.S. Remember, this jumping puzzle is about getting presents to the children safely. Think of the children!

in Wintersday

Posted by: CC Eva.6742

CC Eva.6742

Community Coordinator

Hello everybody.

We have decided to close this thread, which discuss a great deal the Jumping Puzzle prior to the release of the Wintersday content. In order to have your feedback at hand and more organised, we would ask you to keep on your discussion in the following thread, which is newer.

We are looking forward to read your opinions!
Thank you very much!