Wish I could be positive about this

in Wintersday

Posted by: LightningLockey.5938

LightningLockey.5938

I have never seen a game fail twice (in a row) at the holiday events. They are suppose to be fun, easy, enjoyable, relaxing and cause spontaneous fun. Here they are just dungeon grinds, junky rewards, next to impossible (if not impossible) jumping puzzles. I have never felt so miserable during holiday events until I came here.

If I wanted content this bad, I would have signed up for World of Warcraft.

I wish I could be positive…. just disgusted.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I’m sorry Anet didn’t create an “easy mode” button to buy from the Gem store.

I think if you keep playing, one day you might be good enough to finish a challenging jumping puzzle. Then you can join all of us who thinks this JP was way too easy.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Wintersday

Posted by: Kular.2780

Kular.2780

Agreed after clock tower this puzzle was quite easy, almost beat it on the first run even!

Have you tried the snowball fight? That’s tons of fun and so is the music game, though I’d much rather watch skilled people play than myself usually :> Only one that seems kinda meh is the dungeon, run once for the reward after that doesn’t seem to have appeal.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Shear Force.9154

Shear Force.9154

The jumping puzzle is very easy, it’s beautiful but I was rather upset at the fact that I did it in first go.

The music game, amazing, I love that thing so much.

The pvp segment, haven’t had more pvp fun ever before that came out.

Dungeons, yeah arena dropped the ball on that on I think, gave us no reason to grind it at all so you do it once and you never look back.

Those however are my personal thoughts about this. However there really is quite a few things you can do this holiday, I think you’re playing a wrong game if you can’t find an enjoyable activity.

in Wintersday

Posted by: kangaroo.8753

kangaroo.8753

Bah don’t understand this kind of thread. It can’t be a fail completely, there a lot of thigs, if you don’t like all, than the problem is yours…

(edited by kangaroo.8753)

in Wintersday

Posted by: nelopp.6140

nelopp.6140

Dunno why people will be upset about this event….
You simply miss the snow ball fight and bell choir.
Stop forcing yourself to play things you don’t like and relex?
wow won‘t do any better because it is just another dungeon grind….

in Wintersday

Posted by: holska.4127

holska.4127

I have the exact opposite opinion. In many other games the holiday events was something I wouldn’t really bother with as they weren’t fun at all.
In GW2 I find them tons of fun, (maybe a bit too) easy, relaxing and I’ve had a lot of spontaneous fun emoting and doing silly stuffs with other players. The rewards are ok, but is not something I play the event for.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Valmarius.4150

Valmarius.4150

I have never seen a game fail twice (in a row) at the holiday events. They are suppose to be fun, easy, enjoyable, relaxing and cause spontaneous fun. Here they are just dungeon grinds, junky rewards, next to impossible (if not impossible) jumping puzzles. I have never felt so miserable during holiday events until I came here.

Going through your list…

FUN/ENJOYABLE/SPONTANEOUS FUN-

I’ve had fun with everything so far, and so has everyone I know. Except for on the forums, I have not seen a single person in game complaining about Winterday (with the exception of a few people talking about minis).

I’ve been involved in a number of snowball fights, both in the jumping puzzle lobby, and it various zones,, that were just great and started up out of nowhere. They varied from all out brawls, to one-on-one duels. One guy yesterday, when everyone was stood around waiting for the puzzle to start said, ’I’m the highest level here. Come at me. Come at me brah!", and then couldn’t get up off of the floor for the rest of the time, he was being pelted so hard by everyone. It was good times.

EASY/IMPOSSIBLE JP-

With the exception of presents spawning high level mobs in low level areas (a bug), and taking in to account that people with certain physical conditions may have trouble with jumping puzzles/the choir bells, I really can’t imagine the majority of people are finding this content difficult.

I’ve 2 manned Tixx twice, and that is not a boast, it’s just not that difficult. Five people eat their way through it.

The jumping puzzle is not hard at all, once you’ve done it once. When I did it for the daily earlier, 6 people made it to the end with me. If you aren’t very good at jumping puzzles, well, that’s a shame, but consider yourself before you complain about the game.

And you can’t even die in the other events.

DUNGEON GRINDS-

This one is almost laughable, and that’s not an insult, it seriously made me laugh (easily amused). Have you done the dungeons? They change every day, have totally different events to do, are obviously designed to be played through once, and only take 15-20 minutes, if not less. They’re also great fun. Spraying the dolls and defending their town from Skritt, were especially enjoyable.

JUNKY REWARDS-

Well, that’s opinion, to be sure. Mainly we have minis and weapon skins to go for. Personally, I’ve enjoyed my candy cane hammer and princess wand (with new matching humiliation shade pink armor…goes well with my unshaved face and scars). They especially draw compliments when I farm Orr. A lot of people seem to want the mini pets, so I geuss they are popular, too.

tl;dr – I’m extremely impressed with this Winterday event. I missed Halloween due to real-life, the Karka dissapointed me greatly for many reasons, but Wintersday is perfect.

Short, easy, fun events that aren’t one day only, and mainly give cosmetic only rewards. Great stuff.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Sentinel VX.1392

Sentinel VX.1392

Most of them who are enjoying the event are playing the game instead of reading your nonsense whining.

This event is free btw. So if you wanted to go back to WoW and pay subs every month you are welcome to do so since no one actually cares.

Sea of Sorrow since BWE.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Andrax.4576

Andrax.4576

But that is exactly what this event is.
So far every activity in here has been pretty fun and easy.

Winter Wonderland JP is nowhere near impossible, if i had to rate its difficulty, id say its ‘normal’ (in comparison to any other jump puzzle in the game), it certainly is easier than Clocktower (which also wasnt impossible).

Bell Choir took a while to get used to, but ended up being quite fun, at least its something new.

Tixx’s Workshop is nowhere near grinding, did you even try it? It takes max 30mins to beat and changes every day.

Loot being junk really depends on peoples opinion, the gift loot is supposed to be crap because you collect them to buy items from the gift exchange (and i think those items are pretty cool.)

Rose Osiana [Elementalist]
Gandara EU
[DYE]

in Wintersday

Posted by: Lizard.4862

Lizard.4862

If they made an event where you win if you just stand there, it would take about 10 minutes before someone would complain that it is too hard. Sheesh. Maybe you can get your mommy to come do it for you.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Ansultares.1567

Ansultares.1567

If they made an event where you win if you just stand there, it would take about 10 minutes before someone would complain that it is too hard.

Lost Shores event part 2?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Mandrax.7342

Mandrax.7342

Fun is subjective. A game is never going to get it right for absolutely everybody, there will always be someone who isn’t happy. From what I can see in-game is that plenty of people are participating and enjoying the holiday events.

If you don’t like it, don’t take part and just hope there is something you like in the next update in January.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Tenshi.3598

Tenshi.3598

Have you even done the events? Minidungeons aren’t grind, unless you choose for some reason to grind them. JP is peanuts compared to Clocktower. Bells are a nice extra, snowball fight is quite okay…

The only complaint I have are the presents. Far too many sweaters – these are wintersday presents! Drop some eggnog, snowman summoners etc from them regularly please.

This Glade has thorns…and here they are!

in Wintersday

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

For what it’s worth, I’m not a fan of dungeons (not just this game, in general), but the Tixx toy places play much more like DE chains that take place between a few camps or small towns. They are really fun, glad I took a chance.

And as I understand it, after it gets to LA, you can then choose to run any city instance each day, so you don’t have to worry about any you missed before today, you could still squeeze them in before the end to pick up the other patterns and pick which toys you want to make.

I’m very glad I tried it. I’m ‘tempted’ to bit the bullet and push myself a little harder on the puzzle. When this is all done, that will be the only thing left tried.

Though, I will say I don’t like how the snowball fight is designed for getting the achievements. It’s counter productive and doesn’t really promote team work. The event itself is fun, but I wish they would have reworked the way you get the achievements to a more team-oriented, participatory goal, rather than “hope your team mate gets killed so you can pick up the present and make a run for it to complete you achievement”.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

I’m pretty angry because I didn’t get The Horseman’s Reins this Halloween either.

So far I haven’t seen any MMO doing seasonal events like Guild Wars 2. Guild Wars 2 is far superior in this.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Biglab.1732

Biglab.1732

Your statement is ridiculous… The event is barley 4 days in and your QQing give them a break i’ve had tons of far the jumping puzzle was easy your just not skilled at it i beat it the second time I WISH it was harder but its still fun and the other activities the snowball and the bell are also fun not to mention i cant wait for toypoloclypse it seems so fun you are a whiner this event is fun but since you are terrible at jumping puzzles you think the event is bad. my friend who is bad at them eventually beat it it will take time for you to beat it to maybe but don’t just go on the forums and call the event stupid because YOU couldn’t beat the jumping puzzle within the first 3 days of a good half a month event.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Cole Eyre.8471

Cole Eyre.8471

If anything, I felt the holiday content has been far too easy. I’m not really sure how to comment to your post without sounding demeaning but, none of the Wintersday content is hard.

If you’re really struggling with it, you might find more value in assessing the viability of your build.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Facepunch.5710

Facepunch.5710

I have never seen a game deliver this kind of content for free twice (in a row) at the holiday events. They are fun, easy, enjoyable, relaxing and cause spontaneous fun. We get dungeons, rewards, jumping puzzles. I have never felt so spoiled during holiday events until I came here.

Fixed that for you.

Please take your tinfoil hats off and be reasonable. ~ReginaB
This forum is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. ~DevilLordLaser

in Wintersday

Posted by: ley.8973

ley.8973

Well I got to say I liked Halloween much more. There seems to be less activities and overall fun here. Event-spawning doors were awesome, exploding gifts are lackluster compared to them.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Rizalee.4593

Rizalee.4593

Just want to point out you should be doing the “Dungon” at least once a day..

~ Rizalee – Human Mesmer ~
~ Rizzae – Asura Guardian ~
Tarnished Coast Server

in Wintersday

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

I have never seen a game deliver this kind of content for free twice (in a row) at the holiday events. They are fun, easy, enjoyable, relaxing and cause spontaneous fun. We get dungeons, rewards, jumping puzzles. I have never felt so spoiled during holiday events until I came here.

Fixed that for you.

Guess you never heard of Gw1 then?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Lister.5678

Lister.5678

You sound just like a friend of mine, he goes into the jumping puzzle, fails once and says it’s crap (euphemism) and that it’s impossible and/or shouldn’t be in the game. He has little to no patience and unfortunately if you are similar, I have no sympathy because the jumping puzzle is easy compared to Halloween, I done it on my second attempt and done it for a friend on the third attempt.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

I wish that people like the OP wouldn’t make threads. My empathic side gives out far too much pity to upset children at my job as it is.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

in Wintersday

Posted by: Velkyn.5168

Velkyn.5168

I have to say I really love the event so far.

Well, the jumping puzzle is too hard for me (or rather I just suck at them), I tried about 10 times and never got past the snowflakes, so I gave up on that.

I really enjoy the bell choir though, kinda wish this was a permanent feature of the game almost. ^^ Snowball fighting PvP is hilarious, nothing beats rolling into people as a giant snowball… And I absolutely love randomly dropping present boxes from mobs, makes me grin every time I get one.

The two Tixx dungeons I’ve done were loads of fun and look adorable, I really like the flair of all this and it’s nice that they are relaxed and rather easy to do. Fun times and lots of laughs with friends.

I’m not a big miniature collector, but I guess it’s not too strange to not be able to get all possible rewards in the first year an event takes places. If you are really serious about collecting, it will make you want to log back later the same way people still log into GW around this time for their chance at a super rare polar bear mini I guess.

So all in all, awesome event so far!

in Wintersday

Posted by: Zohar.4576

Zohar.4576

I’m LOVING this event so far. Been having a blast. I’m sorry you aren’t though.

in Wintersday

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

I kind of agree with the OP. I find this event rather boring. I don’t care for any of the jumping puzzles due to the terrible camera angles. And after spending 4 hours doing a puzzle, finally getting it done, then having the server reset and lost it, don’t intend to even try another one. Not worth my time. I am not even going to get in to the whole mini mess as that is just too screwed up to even bother with. (and I already have 4 of them, including the Quaggin). Snowball fights where no fun in GW1, and they are no fun here, never cared for them. The weapon skins are ugly as sin, and yes, I have all of them as well but have no intention of ever using any of them, YEACH! The achivements are now something that is out of reach as they have made many of them PvP related, so I won’t be bothering with them.
So after all is said and done, not much to do execpt look at the pretty graphics and hunt for the falling presents, which I have already finished as many as I intend to do.
It would have been nice if thay added a few holiday themed quests, those where some of the most fun in GW1. (anyone remember the guy shaking the present and saying “it smells like a puppy”?) But not one single quest. Even the scavanger hunt for the mad kings book at halloween was more fun.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Miflett.3472

Miflett.3472

I think that’s the heart of it. You know why some players rather play subscription based MMOs? It’s because of the comfort it provides. When I have to always be on edge on whether or not I’m missing out on a piece of content because I didn’t peel out my check book on time, I lose that relaxing feeling that I’m supposed to have when playing a game.

I want relaxing, make it yours type of events where I don’t have to feel at odds with the community or the developers.

Leader of Grim Omen [GO]

in Wintersday

Posted by: FluffyCake.7035

FluffyCake.7035

The events are fine they way they are. They designed it so you can pick and choose in order to have fun your way. Surely there’s at least one activity you enjoy! The jumping puzzle was too easy this time. My b/f got it his first try, and it took me five because I’m bad at jumping. Compared to the Mad King’s Day puzzle which took at least thirty tries, this one is baby mode. They can’t keep making events easier and easier, because when you finally finish something, you won’t have that rewarded feeling anymore.
I don’t like every single activity, but there’s something for everyone.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

Uhm…I’m sorry, but I just can’t agree with you OP.
In my opinion, the holiday events are amazingly well designed (art team, I love you!), the attention to detail is astonishing, the activities are fun, well doable with a little bit of practice, and diverse enough to be enjoyable to many different people.

Where is the dungeon grind you speak of? The dungeon gives you decent rewards for one playthrouh – after that, all you get is normal drops you could get anywhere in the world. If you decide to grind it either way…well, that’s not really ArenaNets fault, is it?

The jumping puzzle has a decent difficulty level (if you need the practice, there is a very nice JP in Timberline Falls called Coddler’s Cove where you can learn to jump accurately without much penalty if you fail) – yes, it does, really. If it’s too hard for you, you have the choice of either not trying anymore or practicing until you get it. It is far easier than the Halloween one.

What do you mean by junky rewards?

Did you even try the Bell choir or the snowball PvP?

Polka will never die

in Wintersday

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I do actually have one problem with the whole thing, in hindsight.

I have a fear I’m going to end up 11/12.

If Toygasmusomething ends up being something like snowball fight, then that’ll leave those 2 I won’t be able to get. Puzzle is completely out for me. And I can’t do the snowball fight, which is ‘really’ annoying…and ‘only’ annoying because the achievements aren’t ‘team’ based. They are ‘kitten your neighbor’ based events.

So please, add a new ‘login’ achievement so I can get my 12/12. That’s it, just login one more time before 1/3, and you get an achievement.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Pochibella.8394

Pochibella.8394

I’m pretty angry because I didn’t get The Horseman’s Reins this Halloween either.

So far I haven’t seen any MMO doing seasonal events like Guild Wars 2. Guild Wars 2 is far superior in this.

I always enjoyed WoW’s holiday stuff. Rift’s Fae Yule is a lot of fun. They have slalom sledding and running over snowmen just to name 2 events! It is so much fun! What I really like about Rift’s event that differs from GW2 is that for participating in the event, you get snowflakes. You use the snowflakes to buy the minis, armor, costumes, mounts, decorations for dimensions (housing), etc. If you want something badly enough, you participate enough to get the snowflakes and buy it. No RNG lotto chests.

Not to say I don’t like some of GW2’s Wintersday. I like the jumping puzzle. I think it is frustrating but it is “pretty”. I did manage to do it. More than once. Not on first try. I think the winter costume is adorable. Very Victorian looking. The mini dungeon (events) have been fun and not too difficult. My husband and I can do them together and they aren’t a “one time” thing so he isn’t missing out while he is at work. I tinkered around with my chef to discover new recipes. Cute items, I just wish crafting was worth doing for something other than being a completionist. I like the background music for the Wintersday stuff. Has that Christmasy sound. That said, I enjoyed Halloween more EXCEPT I like it that the dungeon event for Wintersday changes and isn’t just do over, do over, do over.

in Wintersday

Posted by: tweeve.3782

tweeve.3782

The JP isnt really that hard once you figure it out. I dont understand how you can have camera angle problems on a game where it is so easy to change the camera angle. Just hold right mouse button down and look you can move free move the camera, and still run. When you are in mid air during a jump you have more than enough time to move the camera and get lined up for the next jump. There is also great mid air corrections if it looks like you may not make a jump, hit the strife button and see if you can catch the edge of the platform. That alone has saved me many times on the JP. Also on two of the 3 paths there are easy shortcuts on the snowflakes that will help your time out if you are running behind.

The Bells I hated at first because I was so bad at them. But I wanted the achievement so I started doing them and soon figured them out and they are fun. They dont give me the rewards that I can get on the JP but they are still fun. Im still not good at the bells, as its not really my type of game, but they are still fun.

The Snowball PvP fight is fun, the little I did of it. I still need to do more, but the little I played it was fun.

Tixx dungeon is fun. I only really run it once, unless I guildie needs help then I will run it multiple times. Also with the right group it is possible to 3 or maybe even 2 man the dungeons. My guild also 2 maned it last night but called in reinforcement near the end cause they couldnt get the dps needed to keep the village clear, so we 4 maned it instead.

Of all the MMOs I have played Anet has some of the best Christmas events around, and the guild wars team ranks at the top of those events.

in Wintersday

Posted by: BaergusMaximus.6904

BaergusMaximus.6904

Dude, i suck at jumping puzzles, you can even watch my youtube videos to verify this, but i could get both holiday events completed.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Eeeee.3048

Eeeee.3048

Let this complain thread die already, throughout the day I keep seeing it being bumped up over and over again. The OP isn’t posting feedback or trying to have a discussion.
*I realize I just bumped it but I’ve held off posting about 5 times already(everytime I see it go up).

(edited by Eeeee.3048)

in Wintersday

Posted by: nastyjman.8207

nastyjman.8207

If you’re having problems with the jumping puzzle, hide the UI and steer with mouse move. Also, if you’re a Charr or a Norn, take off your armor if it’s baggy or bulgy. It also gives you an impression that your jumps are “light”.

First Team to reach 250 has 87% chance to win (Updated 7/30/2014) : http://bit.ly/1lWH6T8

in Wintersday

Posted by: moonjo.9831

moonjo.9831

This event lasts till Jan. 3rd. Plenty of time to take it slow.
Another thing that helps is, don’t try to get everything. You won’t. So, just give up. That way if you do get something rare, you’ll be ecstatic.
If you do the event solely for the loots, you’ll be broke because that part of the game is known as Gamble Wars 2.
And the jumping puzzle is much easier than Halloween’s; I was a bit disappointed.

in Wintersday

Posted by: bluewanders.5297

bluewanders.5297

This event is the epitome of casual gameplay… you don’t grind the dungeon… you play it once a day and then there is absolutely no reward for entering it again until the next. Everything else is turnkey… there’s no barrier for entry… you can join and leave at will…

If you aren’t having fun it’s because you don’t want to…