Clarification: Snowball Mayhem & Groups

in A Very Merry Wintersday

Posted by: Regina Buenaobra

Regina Buenaobra

Content Marketing Lead

Next

I wanted to clarify a mistaken assumption that I’ve seen mentioned around the community regarding Snowball Mayhem, namely that you can join Snowball Mayhem as a group.

Snowball Mayhem does not allow players to join as a group.

The following allow joining as a party:

• Toypocalypse
  • Tixx’s Infinarium

The Ho-Ho-Tron events happen in the open world, so you can experience those as a party.

The following do not allow joining as a party:

• Snowball Mayhem
  • Bell Choir
  • Winter Wonderland
Content Marketing Lead
Twitter: @ArenaNet, @GuildWars2
In-Game Name: Cm Regina Buenaobra

Posted by: Thorquist.8126

Thorquist.8126

I do understand why mayhem cannot be joined as a group, but bell choir and wonderland? That’s just… sad.

Posted by: pho.9412

pho.9412

I will be playing toypocalypse way more this year. I was happy with it last year but it gets boring after a while if you aren’t even talking to your team mates.

Posted by: raptor.1064

raptor.1064

GW2, the only MMO where you can’t play with your friends

Posted by: Shades.4572

Shades.4572

I hope that eventually they make it so you can join your friends in mini games =/

Posted by: Amar.1547

Amar.1547

I can see why they wont let you join mayem with a group, easy to dominate and becomes to competitive. But the bell one would be cool, same with the puzzle, set up a group race thing!

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

What better way to celebrate the season than by alienating your friends. =/

ArenaNet, please consider making more inclusive events in the future. Thanks.

Posted by: Pennry.9215

Pennry.9215

So when they said “joining activities with your friends is totally doable” during the Snowball Mayhem, they weren’t actually talking about Snowball Mayhem. Once again, please get demonstrators that actually know what they’re saying.

Posted by: LordZeebee.5102

LordZeebee.5102

Why can’t you just temporarily add Mayhem to the PvP Custom Arena options while the event is up? That way those who want to play with their friends can do so and if you don’t have any friends online ATM you can join the regular one o_o

Posted by: Krikr.2094

Krikr.2094

You ruined the jumping puzzle by not allowing people to join as a party. What were we going to do? Give each other tips that were too helpful? Good job Anet. My friends and I were actually looking forward to that.

Posted by: jaka.9635

jaka.9635

Thats a bummer.
We should be able to do the jumping puzzle with our party members.
Thats half the fun…

Posted by: Zomaarwat.3912

Zomaarwat.3912

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Why Anet…. I asked you about the JP too… Why? I like playing with my friends! Please lets us play with our friendses!

Over a year and the forum search is still broken = /

Posted by: Mikasu.2716

Mikasu.2716

Seriously? Can’t play with friends on the bell choir and even the jumping puzzle? Wow, was really looking forward to that with my buddies, guess that idea has gone down the drain. Not gonna be as fun

Posted by: Grax.9204

Grax.9204

Are there any reasons at all why you won’t let us do any activitys with our guild/party/friends?
Some of them would be great fun, why those restrictions?

Thers great content, yet we don’t get the tools to acctually play it in a fun way.

Asura Mesmer – Gragx – Kodash
Virtus – [VRTS]
http://virtus-gilde.de/gw2map

(edited by Grax.9204)

Posted by: Zombie.4197

Zombie.4197

I don’t mean to be rude but you guys probably shouldn’t post "What good is Wintersday without the opportunity to pelt friends, foes, and total strangers in the face with snowballs? " if we can’t actually play with our friends on the release page.

Zombexx [RED] 80 Necromancer – NA SoS.
Necromancy is a way of life :).

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

I don’t mean to be rude but you guys probably shouldn’t post "What good is Wintersday without the opportunity to pelt friends, foes, and total strangers in the face with snowballs? " if we can’t actually play with our friends on the release page.

Except thats not true. You can do exactly as they said. There are snowballs in LA you can use to pelt your friends.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Zepher.7803

Zepher.7803

IT’S WINTERSDAY WEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Sincerly, Me.

Posted by: KyreneZA.8617

KyreneZA.8617

ArenaNet, the grinch that stole the Wintersday fun?

Recently returned to…
Aurora Glade some random MegaServerâ„¢, always being asked to volunteer for that buff…
Ranger | Necromancer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief

Posted by: isendel.5049

isendel.5049

I really get the fact that they want to avoid achievement farming with a guild group in those activities..but seriously..most of them just takes a few runs to do the achievements anyway, simply tune the rewards considering the possibility of farming and let us play with our friends.

This kind of minigames isn’t for the reward nor for the achievement points, we play them because they are funny, different from the routine of the game, not let us do it with friends!

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

It would resolve a lot of the issue if Wintersday (and other holidays) temporarily added the possibility of playing Snowball Mayhem and the other festival competitive mini-games through the custom arenas.

Posted by: Siobhan.6027

Siobhan.6027

I guess this will be more content where I hurry to get the achievements and then go back to sitting in la and doing nothing all day. It seems counter productive to create content that is not community (party) friendly.

Posted by: Brit.9726

Brit.9726

ANet: could you please stop reminding us that you can’t party up when doing normal and holiday PvP events please? It sucks already that we can’t do it, so there really is no need to clarify this.

Chrono B R I T – Mesmer
Furious Cookies [FURY]http://www.furious-gamers.org/
Desolation EU

Posted by: Regina Buenaobra

Previous

Regina Buenaobra

Content Marketing Lead

I can see why they wont let you join mayem with a group, easy to dominate and becomes to competitive. But the bell one would be cool, same with the puzzle, set up a group race thing!

Correct. Specifically for Snowball Mayhem (a PvP activity), allowing group join would allow pre-made parties to face-off against random match-ups, which would result in very lopsided matches. While a matchmaking system for Snowball Mayhem would be nice, it was outside the scope for this release.

Content Marketing Lead
Twitter: @ArenaNet, @GuildWars2
In-Game Name: Cm Regina Buenaobra

Posted by: Bhima.9518

Bhima.9518

Correct. Specifically for Snowball Mayhem (a PvP activity), allowing group join would allow pre-made parties to face-off against random match-ups, which would result in very lopsided matches. While a matchmaking system for Snowball Mayhem would be nice, it was outside the scope for this release.

You do realize this already happens in PvP arenas right now (unless you have 5 friends all on TS), happens in WvW, and hell… it happens in every PvP video game ever made. The reason: the benefit of letting us play these games with our friends greatly out-weighs this imbalance. Period. Do a poll Regina, I can guarantee you people would rather have to face 5 coordinated people in a mini-game from time to time if it means they can actually play with their friends as well.

Posted by: Velosth.4573

Velosth.4573

Ohhhh Christmas, the perfect time for everyone to stay together and play together all the greatest new minigame …. ah can not

Posted by: Xalugami.2096

Xalugami.2096

So is there a chance for next year to implement activity grouping? Or should we not expect that at all because making a general matchmaking system for activities sounds too hard? I’m sure this would be a great addition, especially if 2014 is as filled with minigames like this year was.

I was so psyched to play Bell Choir with my guildies after hearing the Wintersday stuff will allow parties to enter. Cue the nope.

Posted by: walgierz.8369

walgierz.8369

Snowball AT in gw1 was cool. I miss that in gw2 so badly. Wintersday without SAT is just another farm of achivs. No magic

Posted by: Edgar Doiron.2804

Edgar Doiron.2804

IF it’s running on the PVP servers, couldn’t you make them run through the team queue code branch?

Forgeman Destroyers [FORD] – Sorrows furnace

Posted by: Toroxus.9256

Toroxus.9256

I think a system where you can enter as a pre-made duo would be a sound solution for pre-mades while not having to think about a balancing system for matches.
However, I feel that pre-mades should be a system that should exist, maybe in a system where it’s pre-made 5 vs. pre-made 5. Group play and communication should be encouraged.

Posted by: ArkAngel.7940

ArkAngel.7940

How about next time you make Snowball Mayhem like Random Arenas and Team Arenas in GW1?

As in
If a random group of people win 10 consecutive matches, they get bumped against pre-made team. If they lose, they get shuffled.

Team Arenas would just consist of pre-made groups. For the competitive snowball fighting.

Henge of Denravi [HoD]
The best player in the game
“I’m better than all of you!”

Posted by: Toroxus.9256

Toroxus.9256

How about next time you make Snowball Mayhem like Random Arenas and Team Arenas in GW1?

As in
If a random group of people win 10 consecutive matches, they get bumped against pre-made team. If they lose, they get shuffled.

Team Arenas would just consist of pre-made groups. For the competitive snowball fighting.

I support this.

Posted by: Luthan.5236

Luthan.5236

Too bad it’s not a team achievement. Even if it is only 1 time you need to return present yourself(and not more than once and even more achievements than last year) I don’t like this. I would prefer if it were more than 1 stuff but always team stuff. 3 or 5 wins of your team.

Still a nice thing. So much better than sPvP Spirit Watch because here is no conquest stuff to cap points and only capture the present and return it.

Posted by: Pennry.9215

Pennry.9215

This poses the question of how far ahead you really are in planning content, especially content themes that repeat (ie holidays). From the player standpoint, you had nearly a full year to work in group join. It’s not like this wasn’t a complaint back at last year’s Wintersday.

I fail to see how you can use one existing system to make things easier for you (ref preview video on why the JP is a PvP map now), yet not continue to use the same system to make it easier for us.

I’ll agree with adding these PvP event activities to the custom arenas in SPvP. You can disable achievements or whatever, we really just want to play the mode together.

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

Holiday events should be fun things that you do with friends. Even the pvp part.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Posted by: Sunsational.7190

Sunsational.7190

Hi Regina. It seems like you only answered a fraction of Amar’s concerns. It is completely understandable why the Snowball Mayhem could not be preformed as a group as it causes balance issues. But what about the choir and jumping puzzle? I would like an explanation from any one staff member telling us why we can’t join with friends. Just last night, I wanted to play together with two other friends. We had to resort to continuously joining the choir game and hope we get lucky to be in the same room for at least 20 minutes. This also applied for the jumping puzzle. So please give us a reason why the choir and jumping puzzle cannot be preformed as a party. Thanks

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

I think this misses the point. People don’t want to join as groups so much as they want to play with their friends. By ‘with their friends’ I mean in the same instance as their friends, but not necessarily on the same team. I still don’t see why a version of the sPvP browser hasn’t been adapted for all the minigames and activities (both the permanent ones and the seasonal ones).

Posted by: Nimuial.9714

Nimuial.9714

^ This. I absolutely understand not having the ability to automatically join the same side in something that is sPvP, but a way of joining the same instance of an sPvP activity as the friend (or two) you’re grouped with would be excellent. I enjoy pelting my friends in the face with snowballs as much as I enjoy partnering with them — if not more. To be fair, I’ve had pretty good success re-joining the activity and ending up in the same instance as a friend I’m grouped with… but that’s not altogether fair to the people in the instances I join-and-ditch. A few times it has been a serious headache. Something that makes you able to join the same instance as a grouped friend, while still being subject to the sPvP team assignment and team shuffling rules would be nice.

Posted by: coffeeisyum.5297

coffeeisyum.5297

So, Anet is spending their time shoving out mediocre and repeated content twice a month instead of focusing on quality content like creating different servers for PVP games like Snowball Mayhem—one where players can join as groups and one where users can join as individuals. It’s ridiculous all these games that come out and we can’t play with our friends and family, and there hasn’t even been an attempt to remedy it.

I hate arenas in this game and I hate WvWvW, but things like Snowball Mayhem and the labyrinth PVP game during Halloween are the only PVP I really enjoy in this game and I have to play it completely alone…during the holidays.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

How hard is it to match teams with groups with times with similar sized groups?

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

To be somewhat fair here, you guys had a whole year to create a system (read: use an already existing system) that allowed for “premade” setups, so players could play with their friends. The mini-game is the exact same as it was last year. It wouldn’t be all that different from Team- and Solo Queue in sPvP. Not sure why you’re not using your already existing frameworks to accommodate for players wanting to play with their friends. It’s already using the hotjoins framework, is it not?

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest