Copper Fed Salvage-o-Matic

in A Very Merry Wintersday

Posted by: Psycho Robot.7835

Psycho Robot.7835

2 weeks ago, when Fractured was released, the Copper Fed Salvage-o-Matic was changed from a basic (white) rarity item to a rare (yellow) rarity item. Along with this change, players were reporting that it now functioned just like a master salvaging kit. Additional testing indicated that it returned upgrades and rare materials at the same rate as a Master’s salvaging kit, but that it return ectos from rare items at a lower rate. Today it was changed back to a white item, and it began functioning as before.

At no point has a dev actually commented on this, and what exactly happened. Nothing was mentioned in the patch notes either. In the absence of any explanation, people are suggesting that it was a ploy to make people buy the CFSoM while it was on sale recently, expecting it to continue working like a Master’s kit. These people would not have otherwise bought one and if they wanted their money back for buying it while it was functioning better, Anet could throw their hands up and say “well, it was a bug, you knew how it was supposed to work”. Personally I don’t believe that this is the case, so how about someone from Anet says what exactly happened?

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

It was pretty obviously a bug, one which ArenaNet couldn’t publicly address since it was easy to exploit.

They took the only option, which was to keep quiet so as to minimize the impact of the bug through low awareness levels and patch it out.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Waldir.2571

Waldir.2571

The threads about ANET doing things like this just to make a buck are pilling up and honestly it looks really bad for them as a company. There definitely needs to be more communication when it comes to issues such as the one mentioned above (An others) in order to avoid a bad reputation.

Posted by: Hebee.8460

Hebee.8460

It was meant to be at a regular salvage kit level. It is “most unfortunate” it is now brought back to its original intention upon implementation, but if someone bought it just cause of this bug; they do not deserve a refund.

Buying said item to exploit an obvious bug is not a reason to give them their money back because they missed out on it.

I have this Salvage-o-matic and every minor rune/sigil I got I just vendored cause they all sold for junk on TP. I bought it (when it 1st came out) for convenience as I was tired of carrying 2-3 salvage kits everywhere I went. It never occurred to me if I was getting more or less runes/sigils, nothing had changed even during said “quality” change of the item to me.

Posted by: Mireles Lore.5942

Mireles Lore.5942

Anet could throw their hands up and say “well, it was a bug, you knew how it was supposed to work”. Personally I don’t believe that this is the case.

I do.

If you bought this thing knowing it was bugged, knowing what the description says, and still expected the bug to stay… thats just stupid, and no these people do not deserve their money back.

What do you want them to come out and say? There was a bug and now its fixed?

Director – Xunlai Heroic Service Agents [XHSA] | Yak’s Bend
http://xunlaiheroes.wix.com/xhsa

(edited by Mireles Lore.5942)

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

In all honesty, for an item purchased with gems, it should be made a minimum to salvage at the same level as a master kit. We have node mining items that are top notch, seems only fitting the salvage kit should be close to the same.

When I look up the Copper Fed Salvage -O- Matic on the official wiki, it does clearly state it’s rare, and it’s in yellow. Now, take what we know from all yellow items in the game, and we look at the following:

Basic Salvage kit (White)
Fine Salvage kit (Blue)
Master Salvage kit (Yellow)
Black Lion Salvage kit (Orange)

Then people see a Copper fed salvage kit with Rare, and in yellow writing, what are people going to assume? Bait and switch tactic?

Perhaps it would be in Anet’s best interest to change it to master quality if they want to keep people engaged on buying gems.

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

Anet won’t respond. Once they figure out the glitch they’ll just ban all those that exploited with the kit.

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Buying said item to exploit an obvious bug is not a reason to give them their money back because they missed out on it.

I disagree, ( and no I didn’t buy/own it) but if people are reading these forums and see others posting that the salvage kit seems to have been upgraded, and they bought it, and then its “reverted” then they do deserve a refund ( but only those who bought it since the patch ) to many times Anet have ran updates and “left” or “forgot” to post in the notes certain key points for those to read. If it was a bug they could have posted on the forums it was a bug and would be fixed, it would have taken them no time at all to revert the change, but they kept quiet about it, because hey its xmas the people suddenly have money to spend……

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

Given how much it costs and the fact that you pay for each and every salvage, I hope they make it rare and equivalent to master quality. I thought they had upgraded it and decided to get one. How are we to know what is a change intended and what is a bug?

Now it is not so useful.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Posted by: MassDelusion.9130

MassDelusion.9130

10% chance of rarer materials.
20% chance of recovering upgrades.

If you buy an item without reading the description, it’s on you.

No refunds imo.

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

Oh; so that was the reason why I someday suddenly noticed that I get much more runes and sigils from salvaging the blues and greens that I get dropped, haha. Didn’t even notice that it went from white to yellow, but now it all makes sense.

And no, I don’t think anyone should get a refund because (apparently) a bug was fixed. At least not a full refund; I think I could live with it if they would decide to give a partial refund. I doubt that they would do that, though; since it’s clearly not their fault.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

The best thing they could do for the item is a context menu option to show a panel like with legendary, to choose the rarity from basic to rare. The higher the rarity, the more coin it consumes per use.

Right now, if it’s basic, it’s not really worth it unless you want to waste some gems in some sort of commodity that isn’t that much.

Oh, and making it an unlock, of course. Everything it better when it’s an unlock.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Miflett.3472

Miflett.3472

The best thing they could do for the item is a context menu option to show a panel like with legendary, to choose the rarity from basic to rare. The higher the rarity, the more coin it consumes per use.

Right now, if it’s basic, it’s not really worth it unless you want to waste some gems in some sort of commodity that isn’t that much.

Oh, and making it an unlock, of course. Everything it better when it’s an unlock.

I agree with the charging different prices and setting it to different modes. The only thing I wish they could add.

Leader of Grim Omen [GO]