December Gem Promotion

December Gem Promotion

in A Very Merry Wintersday

Posted by: Kiof.5710

Kiof.5710

I am very unhappy with the outcome of the December gem promotion and would like to offer a suggestion so that others, such as myself, won’t be screwed in the future.

I found out about the promotion mid month and remembered buying a lot of gems recently. I checked my bank statement and saw a purchase posted 12/02 for $35 and another on 12/03 for $50. Great I’m covered for both the back pack and the mini.

Wrong!

Turns out that I apparently purchased the gems at the end of November and it didn’t post until then. I even bought $50 more in gems just days before I got the backpack skin and not the mini in the in game email.

Well no more. Until some way can be found to track gem purchases in game I see no reason to purchase more and miss out the next time you run a promotion that we don’t know if we made the cut or not.

Thank you.

December Gem Promotion

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I am very unhappy with the outcome of the December gem promotion and would like to offer a suggestion so that others, such as myself, won’t be screwed in the future.

I found out about the promotion mid month and remembered buying a lot of gems recently. I checked my bank statement and saw a purchase posted 12/02 for $35 and another on 12/03 for $50. Great I’m covered for both the back pack and the mini.

Wrong!

Turns out that I apparently purchased the gems at the end of November and it didn’t post until then. I even bought $50 more in gems just days before I got the backpack skin and not the mini in the in game email.

Well no more. Until some way can be found to track gem purchases in game I see no reason to purchase more and miss out the next time you run a promotion that we don’t know if we made the cut or not.

Thank you.

Could always buy a smaller amount safely inside December like I did? I think I forwent a trip to Subway in exchange for it.

Or you could do what every banking institution has told me with regards to overdrafts: keep closer track of both when your purchases are made and when they clear.

No, it doesn’t sound like I’m being supportive, and I suppose they could track things better. Well, I suppose you could set it to have a record visible from the Gem Store (“See recent purchases”) but that might not also work if your bank is crediting the charges days after the purchase, it still wouldn’t look like it meets up properly and thus might cause a different set of issues.

“ANet, your system says I bought gems Aug 26th which is before my credit card cycles in finance charges but it got billed after on the 28th and now I’m over the limit because your system lied to me.”

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

December Gem Promotion

Kiof.5710

I didn’t think I’d have to anything “safely” after purchasing $85 ($35 more than their requirement) that appeared to meet the criteria for their promotion. I think they should track things better so we know where we stand. No more gems for me for quite a long time if ever. I know that it was my fault but still terribly disappointed. Customer service was basically useless. Took me three emails before someone finally said I hadn’t purchased them in December. Before that it was the run around about in game mail full (it wasn’t), wait longer (I did). Offered my suggestion above and was told to come here and post. So I am. Maybe next time they do this they’ll rethink their implementation. I’m not spending another dime on this game until things get straightened out on their end.

December Gem Promotion

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

December Gem Promotion

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I know that it was my fault but still terribly disappointed.

I’m not spending another dime on this game until things get straightened out on their end.

Much as I agree it sucks and they probably could have communicated better? These two sentences in the same post kinda sorta suggest even if they do fix it there’s going to be problems in the future.

You can’t fix something if the person goes “I know it’s my fault, but it’s your fault too because . . . ponies.” The most they can do is shrug, pull the lever and dispense you a Quaggan pack, which won’t fix the next time someone does something similar . . . which is again their own doing and not Arenanet’s fault.

Really the only fault I see is they didn’t go “oops, here, have it anyway” after verifying the gems were bought mere days before. Which is less of a fault and more of a case of procedure working correctly.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

December Gem Promotion

Kiof.5710

I’m admitting that since I didn’t buy gems according to the terms of their promotion that I don’t get the mini.
I also think it should be fixed for future promotions so this doesn’t happen again. Until then I don’t wish to spend money on gems.

I don’t see why both statements can’t coexist.

The odd thing is I did get the backpack skin but not the mini despite $85 in gems. $35 and $50 posted one day apart. Go figure.

December Gem Promotion

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I’m admitting that since I didn’t buy gems according to the terms of their promotion that I don’t get the mini.
I also think it should be fixed for future promotions so this doesn’t happen again. Until then I don’t wish to spend money on gems.

I don’t see why both statements can’t coexist.

The odd thing is I did get the backpack skin but not the mini despite $85 in gems. $35 and $50 posted one day apart. Go figure.

See, that’s a better phrasing than above.

I don’t think there’s any way they could fix it without basically throwing out the boundaries for these promotions. There has to be a hard delineation between “in promo time” and “out of promo time” if they’re going to do these things. Either that or cheat and say it’s for December and just give it out to everyone who bought Gems ever. There’s always going to be a guy in your situation just outside the cutoff point who feels they got shafted.

Also, weird, there was a mini involved? Huh.

December Gem Promotion

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

“Fix”? How does this work? The promotion was offered for a month. If you make the purchase within the stated promotional period, you get the bonus. If you made the purchase before the stated promotional period, then you still got what you initially wanted, which was Gems.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

December Gem Promotion

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I sympathise with the OP’s frustration. I was in a similar position myself, having spent a large sum of money buying gems in anticipation of the December sales, but because I bought them at the start of the Black Friday sales, I missed the cut-off date by just 2 days.

Eventually I just bought more gems during December anyway, as I can always hold the gems in reserve for when new stuff comes out, but then again, I have the disposable income to spare. Someone who’s on a much tighter budget wouldn’t have the same luxury, and THAT’S who I’m feeling for. They might be in a position where they just can’t afford to drop another $50 on gems two months in a row, and having to miss out on the special promotion due to that must be very frustrating.

December Gem Promotion

Smooth Penguin.5294

I sympathise with the OP’s frustration. I was in a similar position myself, having spent a large sum of money buying gems in anticipation of the December sales, but because I bought them at the start of the Black Friday sales, I missed the cut-off date by just 2 days.

Eventually I just bought more gems during December anyway, as I can always hold the gems in reserve for when new stuff comes out, but then again, I have the disposable income to spare. Someone who’s on a much tighter budget wouldn’t have the same luxury, and THAT’S who I’m feeling for. They might be in a position where they just can’t afford to drop another $50 on gems two months in a row, and having to miss out on the special promotion due to that must be very frustrating.

You have to ask yourself the following: “Did I get what I wanted when I made my Gem purchase?” The answer 100% of the time will be “yes”. Why? Because the intent of your purchase at that time was to get Gems, not a bonus.

The purpose of promotions is to entice customers to make a purchase during a certain time frame. You’re rewarded with a discount or bonus should you make a purchase during a promotional period. So if you missed out on a bonus by one day, that’s unfortunate. I missed out as well. But I made the choice to do another transaction to get the bonus. It benefits both me and Anet.

(edited by Smooth Penguin.5294)

December Gem Promotion

Kiof.5710

It wasn’t even a matter of not having the money this time. I spent $50 more a day before finding out that I wasn’t getting the mini.
My issue lies with the fact that according to my online bank statement I had $35 and $50 gem purchases on the 2nd and 3rd. I thought I was covered. I had no way of knowing I wasn’t eligible. They need to come up with something that lets us know in game where we stand.

December Gem Promotion

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Don’t you get an email sent to you every time you do a gem-purchase?
I am pretty sure I do.
At least when buying the gems directly from in-game.

EDIT: Yep, just checked my email, I have gotten a mail for every single gem-purchase I have made within the game.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

December Gem Promotion

Smooth Penguin.5294

It wasn’t even a matter of not having the money this time. I spent $50 more a day before finding out that I wasn’t getting the mini.
My issue lies with the fact that according to my online bank statement I had $35 and $50 gem purchases on the 2nd and 3rd. I thought I was covered. I had no way of knowing I wasn’t eligible. They need to come up with something that lets us know in game where we stand.

You’re responsible for managing your purchases, not Anet. Yes creditcard or debitcard transactions take 2 – 3 business days before it posts on your account. But ultimately, you should know when you made a monetary transaction. You also get a confirmation e-mail a few seconds after a Gem purchase. Looking at your Inbox would have been much more accurate than your bank statement.