Don't do what you did with the Clocktower.

in A Very Merry Wintersday

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Don’t make people into ghost orbs in the Wintersday JP like you did with Clocktower.

Please.

Posted by: cranked.3812

cranked.3812

I get the impression a lot of people were way happier with the ghost mode. Keep in mind, a lot of people have a hard time with JP’s. Would be nice to have the option to do it either way. Don’t see how hard that could really be.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

You start on different paths so there’s no need to change anything. About 50% of the people doing it fail within the first 15 seconds anyhow.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

I didn’t do the Wintersday jumping puzzle last year, but I think the ghost orbs were an improvement to the Clocktower. I can understand the complaints about it being treated as a PvP activity (so you couldn’t do it with friends, for example,) but the ghost orbs were pretty useful. I could see how other players were doing, but they were less distracting than full models were the previous year.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

It should not be needed for reasons stated by Ayrilana, but even then if it was changed it would not remove any fun from the game.

The clock tower needed it, characters were grouped together on one set path and a lot of players had trouble seeing past max size Charr and Norn. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few trolls that liked to block peoples view.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: tweeve.3782

tweeve.3782

The orbs are fine. It is the PvP map that i did not like.
If they make the Wintersday JP PvP I will be kitten ed. One of the fun things on the Wintersday map is you can have a snowball fight with your friends while you wait for the jp.

Posted by: Corian.4068

Corian.4068

I was okay with the orbs, I was just very sad that I couldn’t choose an instance to join with my guildies.

Hit level eighty
Priorities, what to do?
Spend hours with dye

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

What’s the point of having other people beside you if you can’t see them? Just go ahead and make it a completely solo activity, already.

Posted by: tweeve.3782

tweeve.3782

What’s the point of having other people beside you if you can’t see them? Just go ahead and make it a completely solo activity, already.

No, snowball fight between races is fun

Posted by: Mireles Lore.5942

Mireles Lore.5942

The PvP set up of clock tower was also necessary, people would speed boost people mid jump to troll them. Can’t do that if you are not an ally.

Director – Xunlai Heroic Service Agents [XHSA] | Yak’s Bend
http://xunlaiheroes.wix.com/xhsa

Posted by: Blackwyn.8127

Blackwyn.8127

There’s no need to turn players into ghost. The Wintersday’s JP was created in mind from the critique the Madtower received of player models blocking the view. So it was especially made by splitting the player base with three paths and having larger platforms so it could be done without any view blocking issues.

(edited by Blackwyn.8127)

Posted by: awge.3852

awge.3852

Don’t make people into ghost orbs in the Wintersday JP like you did with Clocktower.

Please.

No ghost mode… why?

I want to see you try playing as an asura in the wintersday jumping puzzle next to only full sized male norns and full sized male charr.

Mon Fils — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Blackgate
Ranger’s guide to PvP/WvW: http://tinyurl.com/oht3e9z

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Please.

No ghost mode… why?

I want to see you try playing as an asura in the wintersday jumping puzzle next to only full sized male norns and full sized male charr.

Did you do the jumping puzzle last year?

Posted by: Shades.4572

Shades.4572

Agreed I don’t find the Winter’s Day Puzzle in need of a ghost mode. CLock Tower on the other hand yes they did with all the small platforms and everyone basically run the same path and since last year we had like ~10 people doing it at a time it was too much. With Wintersday however it was completely fine last year. We got to play with our friends, we were split to 3 paths, the paths were not completely narrow to the point that everyone jumped to the same exact spot, and we got to watch people finish the puzzle if we fail. No need to change what is fine.

Posted by: Grump.7069

Grump.7069

Don’t really expect them to change much of the JP. At most turn it into a PvP zone. But ghost wisps, nah. That’s why winter wonderland has 4 starting points. And at average when 12-16 peeps were allowed in the zone only like 4 reached the lollipops (point where the 4 roads converge).

Posted by: AnthonyOrdon

AnthonyOrdon

Game Designer

There’s a couple of new bits about the Winter Wonderland jumping puzzle this year that you may find refreshing. The largest improvement is that you no longer have to wait until all of the players complete the puzzle in-between your attempts.

Posted by: Chipsnsalsa.2714

Chipsnsalsa.2714

Curses. I love making people wait on me.

Posted by: Sobiech.9613

Sobiech.9613

There’s a couple of new bits about the Winter Wonderland jumping puzzle this year that you may find refreshing. The largest improvement is that you no longer have to wait until all of the players complete the puzzle in-between your attempts.

Refreshing is a good thing. Most people were much happier with this puzzle than with the Clocktower. Thanks!!

Reine Tovar [HoTR] – Mesmer
Aerika [HoTR] – Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Refreshing is a good thing. Most people were much happier with this puzzle than with the Clocktower. Thanks!!

To be fair, the Clocktower was intended to be a PITA jumping puzzle.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Posted by: Chipsnsalsa.2714

Chipsnsalsa.2714

According to the livestream going on right now, it does seem to be a PvP lobby again.

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

According to the livestream going on right now, it does seem to be a PvP lobby again.

Based on the way they implement all of the mini games (the festive jp’s included) it seems they will always be in a PvP lobby. It has some perks, kicking AFKs faster and making it harder to exploit/farm come to mind. But the biggest down side is not being able to play with your friends/guildmates.

Unless they can figure out a way to let us play with our friends, while keeping us from farming the activity with them I doubt we’ll be able to play with them any time soon.

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

No. NO. NOOOO.

Keep everyone as orbs. The Clocktower was hard enough without Norn butts being an extra obstacle.

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

wintersday JP was FAR easier than clock tower, and other players just didn’t get in your way. I preferred seeing other people fall to their death.
I would love a spectator mode. see other people do the jumping puzzle and such.

Posted by: Grump.7069

Grump.7069

dislike others in your face, take another path, simple as that, and unlike clocktower, you don’t all have to start at the same time. clocktower had the green cloud catching up to you to ensure everyone had to rush. From the stream you can see the JP works like the snowblind fractal. Stay at the fire as long as you desire, but once you leave the fire you’ll get a frostbite dot, until you reach the next fire which should be at the lollipops, unless you did a wrong turn or fell down. Which means others don’t HAVE to be ghost wisps this time, since for all you care, you wait 20 seconds and leave the fire then.

Posted by: bravoart.5308

bravoart.5308

Any chance in making non-timed non-vanishing-steps versions of these jump puzzles?

I did them both already last year, but refrain from doing them again because the stress is just too much for a ‘fun’ activity.

Finally I recalled the stopgap solution of a great princess who was told that the
peasants had no bread and who responded: “Let them eat brioche.”

Posted by: Felbryn.5462

Felbryn.5462

Spectacular! The waiting between attempts was by far the most frustrating aspect of the holiday jumping puzzles, especially when you made a dumb mistake early on.

Posted by: who want blood.8765

who want blood.8765

what i hated about the change to clock tower was i couldnt use my passive speed boost. i hate doing JP’s without some form of speed boost it makes me miss-time my jumps alot

Posted by: Kojiden.8405

Kojiden.8405

There’s no need to change the players for the wintersday jumping puzzle. The jumping puzzle was designed with the fact in mind that last year a lot of people were complaining about the Mad King Tower.

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

Not so.

Take a look at the original version….

First of all, the original version had the piles of snowballs that allowed players to basically have a fun snowball fight while waiting for reset of the puzzle. As “pointless time fillers”, it was still a matter of FUN for the players.

Another issue is that the checkpoint kind of weakens the challenge of the original one. Sure it was longer than that of the Mad King’s Clocktower (about 1.5x the length), but it was much less clustered with multiple paths with wider ranges. The puzzle was fair enough that it still boiled down to skill for completion.

The last issue I want to bring up is clothing. Yet again we’re having this transformed from a PvE-event to a PvP-event. Why? I’m not sure, honestly. The engine clearly supported the PvE version that was originally in, so why change it? Players who either have made in-game cloths set or purchase Gem Store based sets (remember last years Wintersday cloths?) cannot wear such sets. I must basically ask, as a player, “Why should I purchase Gem Store cloths when I cannot wear them in the holiday events?” You should have your financial people look at that question and have them demand you swap it back to PvE instead of PvP basically because you’re losing money on this swap. Just throwing that out there, based on my own perspective….

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

The funniest part about the clock tower was watching people fail. Personally, I never had a problem with big characters and simply assumed those that did were just making excuses for their own shortcomings. We all know how the majority doesn’t want to put in any ounce of effort and some think they simply deserve it. Even the designer of the clock tower was surprised last year with how many people completed it, meaning it wasn’t designed to be completed by everyone.

The wintersday puzzle just wasn’t the same for me. It was far more casual in comparison and as a result, less interesting. I mostly did choir bells and really hope there’s some new songs for it.

If they’re going to make it so you don’t have to wait in between attempts, does that mean for everyone, or only those who fail. Take Sanctum Sprint for example. Why am I forced to AFK at the end for 4 minutes when I could run it at least 1 more time. If I’m capable of doing something twice as fast, I want to be able to, without quitting and joining. — just saw the stream, which looks like you’ll be able to loop run it, though I imagine the popping presents may become an issue if a group is just ahead of you. A lot better than the ~2 minute wait when finishing the clock tower.

I must basically ask, as a player, “Why should I purchase Gem Store cloths when I cannot wear them in the holiday events?” You should have your financial people look at that question and have them demand you swap it back to PvE instead of PvP basically because you’re losing money on this swap. Just throwing that out there, based on my own perspective….

They already have plans to remove the distinction between PvP and PvE gear. PvE gear will be useable in PvP and vice versa.

The PvP format is used for activities as a blanket removal for unintended things found in PvE which people use to get an advantage. Class abilities still work however, so the system isn’t perfect.

(edited by Healix.5819)

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

I get the impression a lot of people were way happier with the ghost mode. Keep in mind, a lot of people have a hard time with JP’s. Would be nice to have the option to do it either way. Don’t see how hard that could really be.

While conceptually I didn’t like it, it fixes the one big issue the clocktower had in the previous incarnation. So I somewhat support seeing this, actually.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

What! And here I was thinking I’d not have to do that JP because I couldn’t stand having to wait every time I failed… (which gets very annoying very fast…)

Now I won’t have that excuse….

(translation: awesome news!)

Posted by: Causic.3798

Causic.3798

“The last issue I want to bring up is clothing.”
Absolutely agree with this. Since I don’t PvP (and never intend to) I have bad looking PvP gear and in all these minigames that’s what I wear which is a real turn-off. Hopefully soon they allow us to keep our PvE gear for all these minigames.

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

~snip~

I must basically ask, as a player, “Why should I purchase Gem Store cloths when I cannot wear them in the holiday events?” You should have your financial people look at that question and have them demand you swap it back to PvE instead of PvP basically because you’re losing money on this swap. Just throwing that out there, based on my own perspective….

They already have plans to remove the distinction between PvP and PvE gear. PvE gear will be useable in PvP and vice versa.

The PvP format is used for activities as a blanket removal for unintended things found in PvE which people use to get an advantage. Class abilities still work however, so the system isn’t perfect.

And when will these “plans” became reality? There’s no mention of these plans going into effect on this patch, the one that has this issue and is of matter currently. But, even if it were to be this patch, that just does the PvE/PvP gear split, nothing about the Town Cloths.

So what if a player’s PvE gear look can be transferred to PvP? It’s of no matter if you’re still unable to wear town cloths in certain events that you’re wanting to, such as the Wintersday clothing during the Bell Choir, the Jumping Puzzle, or anything else other than in Lion’s Arch.

As for exploits, that would be understandable if there were very many. But the only ones that I was aware of last Wintersday was the snowflake scandal (oh the many bans that got handed out on that spiel) and the teleport hack (the same one that was reasoning for the Orbs’ removal in WvW that’s not been seen in over 8 months). Both of those got fixed by A.Net and wouldn’t/shouldn’t have repeat incident.

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

what i hated about the change to clock tower was i couldnt use my passive speed boost. i hate doing JP’s without some form of speed boost it makes me miss-time my jumps alot

oh god. I just realized what would make this JP a 10/10. some snowflakes gives you a 1s boon or condition: swiftness or chill. totally random. one second you’re flying through the air, next you’re at a dead stop.