Donating GW2 gold to real-world charities?

in A Very Merry Wintersday

Posted by: Durlag.1903

Durlag.1903

You know what would be real nice?

If the donations to Marcello and the Ho-ho bot made during Wintersday were converted, via the gem conversion rate, to real-world money and donated to a real-world charity by Arenanet.

Now, that would be charitable!

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Unlikely to happen. I also prefer them spend the money on developing new stuff instead of giving it to charity. If people want to support charities they should do so with their own money in real life.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: VitisVinifera.2834

VitisVinifera.2834

I’d like to donate my gold to a charity too. It’s called my beer fund.

Posted by: Sorann Peace.9056

Sorann Peace.9056

That would be awesome, but like one of the above posters said, it’s unlikely to happen.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

While the idea itself is nice, it is not really plausible.
In-game gold hold no monetary value after all, and thus nothing donated in-game does actually generate any money that ArenaNet could use for said real-life charity.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

rest assured anet is busy knitting an ugly sweater for every pvp tournament stomp
which is why balance is so horrible in this game

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Posted by: Holy Whirlwind.2067

Holy Whirlwind.2067

You’re basically asking Anet to donate real money for donations made by millions of players with fake money….LOL

It would make more sense if Anet had a tab in their Store called: Donation or Charity. Selecting this tab lets all players purchase Gems for real money and select 1 of X number of charities. Then ~50% of the money went to the charity selected on behalf of the GW2 community once a year as a big lump sum check.

The cash to Gems transition would not be as good as the regualur market rate because WE the community would need to make a sacrafice (not just Anet). This ensures that Anet still makes money on regular cash to Gems purchases. Or maybe only have this option open on Wintersday or after a major crisis in the world (like the Japanese tsunami).