GW2 Developer Livestream: Wintersday

in A Very Merry Wintersday

Posted by: RubiBayer

RubiBayer

Content Marketing Manager

Next

Writer John Ryan and Environment Artist Kevin Green will be on hand for this Friday’s Guild Wars 2 Developer Livestream. They’ll be talking about the lore and art of Wintersday, and how they worked to bring the two together during the creation of Wintersday.

Do you have questions about the creation process? Ask them here–John and Kevin will be pulling some questions from the thread to answer during the livestream. The event begins this Friday, December 6th, at 12:00 PM PST on http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2.

We’ll see you then!

Posted by: Meluna.1764

Meluna.1764

How did you come up with the bell minigame? I love it so much! Did you have to fight a lot against the game system to make it work? Will there be new songs to play?

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Ah nice! Love the little livestream you had before Halloween so will try to watch this one as well.
Always nice to hear about the lore and inner workings of the company.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Will Scarlet be playing a major role, or will she take a break for the holidays?

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Maladon.5760

Maladon.5760

Why don’t Sylvari drop logs as loot when you kill them in WvW?

Malzarius – Guardian
Malzerius – Thief
Dark Covenant (SBI)

Posted by: DeShadowWolf.6854

DeShadowWolf.6854

How did Wintersday originally form in Tyria?
What made it to be so much like our own (eg. presents, snowmen)?
Why do other races celebrate it if only humans had it in the fist game?
Do humans still do the Dwayna vs. Grenth thing?
Are there any differences in seasons for Tyria, and if so, how does that affect festivals and celebrations?

These are just my first questions, I’ll add more that I think of/find later.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Why is ascended armor being made available through crafting? Why not have it as a drop from Fractals or purchasable through fractal relics?

lordkrall.7241

Why is ascended armor being made available through crafting? Why not have it as a drop from Fractals or purchasable through fractal relics?

It is quite possible that it will drop, in the same way as the Weapons.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Patrikan Habaton.2548

Patrikan Habaton.2548

Will Trixx bring a Special present to Player who lost they’re fractal Levels?

first scale 81 fractals

Posted by: ktbenson.7935

ktbenson.7935

-Are there any plans for future Wintersdays to showcase how each of the races celebrate the holiday differently or has the holiday become mostly homogenized?

-As a player of Guild Wars, I’ve also been curious about Grenth and Dwanya and whether they still play any part in Wintersday since the holiday was originally centered around their competition. Even though they’re physically absent, we know that some of the gods’ magic/presence lingers in the world through their shrines and their followers.

Posted by: Louveepine.7630

Louveepine.7630

thank you for your work! continue to surprise us!

- do you have any plans for future hivernels?

- such as: make a concurant Tixx? decorated the other cities? give other toys? On the other costumes?

- will you give us new surprises, a change inside the infinitarium?

- will we have tracks of departure of the gods?

- for the next Wintersday, next year, we offer the seasons? =’) (very silly question, I know xD)

- Or are our new Christmas’s costumes? é_è

- It would be great to make other competitors Tixx so they compete in mini-games!

# Asura because I’m worth it!

(edited by Louveepine.7630)

Posted by: Flash.6912

Flash.6912

do we get old wintersday achievements back from last year?

R.I.P Kumu <3

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

One that I think most players who got involved in last year’s W’day event would be asking….

If we have the same content from last year, will we have enough cogs and stuffing to make our mini’s from last year, or will it be a completely new design for this year? Last year we had to choose which ones to make mini’s out of and which to try in the forge for everlasting tonics.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Will some of the lore regarding Grenth and Dwayna be brought back? Since those two played a very important part during Wintersday in Guild Wars 1.

Also, please bring back the snowman helmet from GW1, and the Lair of the Snowmen.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: TechWiz.4573

TechWiz.4573

I would like to know if they will be bringing back the Winterday costumes in the gem store that they had last year.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Wasn’t this fridays livestream supposed to be a preview of the pvp junk? At least the new healing skills?

What made Tixx decide to go and create the Infinirarium (other than just Asura need to invent stuff) and all the toys? Whats his drive for creating toys (which happen to go beserk)? Does he have a companion/partner to help/compete against him? Does he have a nemesis (other than probably Scarlet ><)?

Will Toxx be returning? If so, did he do anything to fix her(?)?

Are we still going to be able to do the different city invasion (or whatever you want to call the instances that were unlocked at each city)? Is there anything new added to the Infinirarium for us to explore/participate in?

I would like to know if they will be bringing back the Winterday costumes in the gem store that they had last year.

Well they did with the Halloween ones, so I’m sure they’ll bring the two Wintersday ones back as well.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

(edited by skullmount.1758)

Posted by: sunflowers.4389

sunflowers.4389

Aww man the changed the date…now I can’t do it because of a competition

Posted by: Alfador.7649

Alfador.7649

Q: Is the toxic alliance still going to be showing up in WvW, or will the wintersday patch finally be removing them from EBG and Borderlands?

Dear lord I hope they’re gone.

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

Is the toymaker title coming back?

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Will there be new toys added? And if new toys are added, will be they be added to the Toymaker’s Tonic?

Posted by: DeTechTive.9251

DeTechTive.9251

Since peanuts come in shells, are we basically eating legume guts?

Is farting in the wind considered a ranged attack? Because if so, it does too much damage and needs to be nerfed.

What is the basic formula for a Lorentzian manifold bypass with recipricol mass inertia in a time/space distortion field?

Also, where is my beer?
Oh wait there it is. My first three questions still stand.

Posted by: Edgar Doiron.2804

Edgar Doiron.2804

Why haven’t you release a wallpaper for this update?

Forgeman Destroyers [FORD] – Sorrows furnace

Posted by: EverythingXen.1835

EverythingXen.1835

Is the addition of the Grenth Hood in the store a sign of possible lore updates to the Wintersday content? Or is it just a throwback to GW1 Wintersday?

How has Wintersday changed in Tyria from GW1 to GW2 lore wise?

And, I’m really curious… is/was Scarlet involved in this Wintersday in some fashion at some point? I’d be surprised if “Scarlet = Grinch” wasnt at least brought up by somebody, even to just get shot down.

Posted by: kimeekat.2548

kimeekat.2548

I’m also interested in lore. How did Wintersday come to be adopted by all the races? I only recall humans in GW1 celebrating and it was a very gods-oriented holiday. Is Wintersday completely nondenominational now or are there still those spreading the word of Grenth and Dwayna? …this obviously stems from my desire to know ALL THE THINGS about human gods thanks to GW1 clings to them.

Clove Zolan – Bringers of Aggro [Oops] – Blackgate

Posted by: Zepher.7803

Zepher.7803

Did you update or will you have the Wintersday Themed WvW siege? That made WvW a joy to play by far.

Sincerly, Me.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

My question exactly, and I’ll add, what about new Wintersday costumes as well? Much as we got the Executioner and Bloody Prince this year, can we get more fancy stuff to go with our fur coats and crystal-spangled skirts?

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

We getting weps that aren’t made from trees or blue glowy skins?

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

Posted by: Knuk Eh.5420

Knuk Eh.5420

Will we ever be able to play as a Skritt? How about just me? I’ll trash my characters just for the privilege!

Posted by: Gilthor The Savage.1870

Gilthor The Savage.1870

Will Santa hats ever be made? That’s a guaranteed in every other mmo with a winter event, it’s expected if we’ve gotten Gandalf hats, I expect Santa hats.

p.s. I miss Cantha.

lordkrall.7241

Will Santa hats ever be made? That’s a guaranteed in every other mmo with a winter event, it’s expected if we’ve gotten Gandalf hats, I expect Santa hats.

p.s. I miss Cantha.

I am quite sure we did get a santa hat last year.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Festive_Hat

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Crunk n monkey.3749

Crunk n monkey.3749

We getting weps that aren’t made from trees or blue glowy skins?

Like the candy cane bow, or the peppermint shield, or the candy cane staff. They were awesome in Guild Wars 1. The only skin that made it in from last year was the hammer.

Also, I’ve heard the buzz that the Yuletide Tonic might come back this year from Guild Wars 1. Can you confirm or debunk that?

Ascended Phoenix [ASH] – Gates of Madness

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I wonder if we’re getting special holiday weapons that don’t require more materials and gold than a legendary weapon.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Zelyhn.8069

Zelyhn.8069

Hey Anet, few hours to go.
Be sure that the watch count will be high.
All the people you dramatically frustrated with your “fractured” patch will be there, watching you.
We ask for answers.
Please?

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]
Retired elementalist theorycrafter

(edited by Zelyhn.8069)

lordkrall.7241

Please do not spam in chat about stuff that have nothing at all to do with the live-stream.
If people keep doing that they will end up not having live-streams sooner or later.

The people doing this live-stream CAN’T answer your questions about Fractured simply due to the fact that they quite likely was not involved in creating the “issues” you are complaining about.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

Imho, if there will be many people, it will be due to the new healing skills and some new info about class balancings.
Anyway, regarding questions…

-Are there peculiar differences about how the different races celebrate Wintersday? It was primarily an human tradition, after all…and the other races may have adapted the festivities in their own way.
-Any chance of a combat-useable santa hat?
-Shall there be new weapons obtainable ingame (as in – not with gems) related to Wintersday?
-Does feasting with a roasted quaggan on the eve of Wintersday bring luck and fortune during the new year?
-Is this content Scarlet-free?

Posted by: Blueskylightdragon.4876

Blueskylightdragon.4876

Writer John Ryan and Environment Artist Kevin Green will be on hand for this Friday’s Guild Wars 2 Developer Livestream. They’ll be talking about the lore and art of Wintersday, and how they worked to bring the two together during the creation of Wintersday.

Do you have questions about the creation process? Ask them here–John and Kevin will be pulling some questions from the thread to answer during the livestream. The event begins this Friday, December 6th, at 12:00 PM PST on http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2.

We’ll see you then!

Will you put this video on Youtube?
I’m not mean to NOT watching livestream but I’m not living in the USA. (This would equal to around 4 am to me. ) :‘(
And Will you make a plot like Captain Tixx helps Pale tree to solve the Scarlet issue?
Also will you put most friendly NPCs to play with Tixx on the ship together (as if it’s a peaceful refuge)?
I really like him and for me, Captain Tixx is the most memorable NPC, second to Rox and i’m not gonna kidding about that.

PS As i read above post from me, i agree with that…..
WILL you make an additional captain for toy making other than Tixx? This should be really nice and i want to see a cute male charr toy captain that help with Tixx together. Please answer this too. wink wink wink.

(edited by Blueskylightdragon.4876)

Posted by: Nasedo.5349

Nasedo.5349

My Question for Live-Stream:
Where are the Grentches (GW1) on Wintersday in GW2?

Posted by: Crunk n monkey.3749

Crunk n monkey.3749

My Question for Live-Stream:
Where are the Grentches (GW1) on Wintersday in GW2?

Those were cool too.

Ascended Phoenix [ASH] – Gates of Madness

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

It would appear from watching this stream so far, that older GW1 players will not get to see, Underworld/FoW again, you said the human gods just left, seems rather strange, surely if Tyria was under threat again ( dragons ) they would return, UW/FoW where a huge part of GW1, yet they where completely left out for GW2, disappointing to say the least, is UW/FoW are gone, why are there Aatxe’s being used for the SB event…..what about the Cyrstal desert, elona/cantha did everyone just leave these places too, come on already.

Posted by: JohnRyan.6218

Previous

JohnRyan.6218

Next

Hi everyone. Thanks for tuning into the livestream. I’ll try to tackle the remaining Wintersday-related lore questions soon.

Posted by: cainejw.7142

cainejw.7142

What’s worse is that the Exodus of the Gods was a result of Abbadon’s free reign in giving man magic and the Guild Wars erupting. After the gods attempted to undo their work through the Bloodstones, they left to protect man from magic.

However, man discovered the bloodstones in Bloodstone Fen, Abbadon’s Mouth, and the Bloodstone Caves. Three of the five were discovered. This means that man has access to the destructive magic of the past as man continues to have access to all of these locations.

The gods gave man blessings. While they were gone from the world and beyond the Mists, they remained forever present but not corporeal. However, men forever strove to get closer to the gods including gaining favor and Kormir receiving their blessing and ascending to godhood.

So now, we’re supposed to believe that they just went, “Oop, we’re out. Magic is more pervasive than it’s ever been. You humans got this.”

Just plain lazy. Every single race believed in the gods except one. The Norn believed them part of animism, the asura saw them as part of the great alchemy, humans saw them as gods, and even the Charr considered them powerful enough to respect as fearful.

Only one race did not believe in them—the Sylvari. Seeing as we have Trahearne and Scarlet, GW2 is looking less like a game about these races and their world and more like a vehicle to plug the Sylvari. I wish I could be surprised at the poor writing, but we need only wonder why the gods would stay gone “forever” when all of the races are facing their darkest days with the dragons. Just plain lazy.

Posted by: DraganBlack.7864

DraganBlack.7864

The gods gave man blessings. While they were gone from the world and beyond the Mists, they remained forever present but not corporeal. However, men forever strove to get closer to the gods including gaining favor and Kormir receiving their blessing and ascending to godhood.

So now, we’re supposed to believe that they just went, “Oop, we’re out. Magic is more pervasive than it’s ever been. You humans got this.”

this isn’t what happened at all. you might want to replay gw nightfall. especially the last two missions where the gods made it clear that they are leaving (and why)
this isn’t some sort of lore they made up for gw2 it is what was around since nightfall

The Exalted Ones [TEO]
Gunnars Hold

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Here’s the link to the recording of the livestream.

http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2/b/485408864

Very interesting to hear the creative process for the holiday theme. The areas look gorgeous as usual, can’t wait for the 10th

Posted by: Louveepine.7630

Louveepine.7630

Someone could transcribe the questions / answers? for those who can not see the videos

# Asura because I’m worth it!

Posted by: patasde.6087

patasde.6087

put it on youtube that twitch is very laggy for me and i have 30mbit conection

Posted by: JohnRyan.6218

Previous

JohnRyan.6218

Hi. Sorry for the delay. Here are some answers.

Q: Will Scarlet be playing a major role, or will she take a break for the holidays?

A: Scarlet won’t be showing up.

Q: Will Toxx be returning? If so, did he do anything to fix her(?)?

A: Toxx will be back. And like all golems, Toxx is prone to the random error. Some more homicidal than others. Holiday stress, you know.

Q: Are there any plans for future Wintersdays to showcase how each of the races celebrate the holiday differently or has the holiday become mostly homogenized?

A: Right now, we are going to have a centralized Wintersday in Lion’s Arch since the city is a crossroads for all the races.

Q: What made it to be so much like our own (eg. presents, snowmen)?

A: Snowmen and presents were a holdover from Guild Wars 1. Back in the GW1 era 250 years ago, snowmen were servants of the goddess Dwayna and were tasked with making sure the children got their Wintersday presents.

Q: Do humans still do the Dwayna vs. Grenth thing?

A: Yes, but it’s far less pronounced since the exodus of the Six Gods.

Q: Are there any differences in seasons for Tyria, and if so, how does that affect festivals and celebrations?

There are four seasons in Tyria (Zephyr, Phoenix, Scion, and Colossus). The start of Zephyr is the beginning of the year and the end of Colossus closes out the year. On the whole, these seasons are used by NPCs, namely farmers, to sew, grow, and harvest their crops. The seasons have no impact on the festivals or celebrations.

(edited by JohnRyan.6218)

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

No Scarlet!!!! WOOOO! Best news ever!

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Posted by: AllNightPlayer.1286

AllNightPlayer.1286

Do we get the chance to get the rewards of old again?
Like the “Endless Princess Doll Tonic” or even better the “Endless Toymaker’s Tonic”.

Posted by: cainejw.7142

cainejw.7142

this isn’t what happened at all. you might want to replay gw nightfall. especially the last two missions where the gods made it clear that they are leaving (and why)
this isn’t some sort of lore they made up for gw2 it is what was around since nightfall

In neither Gate of Madness nor Abbadon’s Gate do the gods state why they were leaving and that they were. In fact, the avatars state that the gods are present in human nature and that these characteristics were the gift to he player. They then give Kormir the gift of ascending to godhood.

The gods were not a physical force in Guild Wars 1 at all. Their avatars were. They left Tyria in 0 AE after creating and splitting the Bloodstones to contain magic. Since you have a lacking knowledge on the lore of Guild Wars, might I suggest reading the official Wiki? It’s a great source for newcovers to the world of Tyria.

Abbadon gave magic to man. War erupted (not the first one. That I was wrong about). The human gods, residing in Orr, heard Doric’s pleas and created the stone to draw man’s magic back and separate it from being pooled into single sources. Abbadon became enraged and fought, with the Margonites, against the Six. He lost, was cast down, and the human gods resolved to leave Tyria so that man could live free of magic.

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Just saw the youtube video of the artist stream.

No complaints here. Was really interesting to hear what went into designing the amazing artwork of Wintersday!