Have you talked with Evon?

in A Very Merry Wintersday

Posted by: RashanDale.3609

RashanDale.3609

I really wanted that abaddon fractal. fml

imagine evon had won. then scarlet wouldve been behind abaddons fall? shudder

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

We’ve already established the fact that Scarlet wouldn’t have been a part of the Abaddon Fractal. She doesn’t want to mess around with Mister E. Kiel is a pushover, so it’s only natural that Scarlet would be a part of the Thaumanova one.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: RashanDale.3609

RashanDale.3609

We’ve already established the fact that Scarlet wouldn’t have been a part of the Abaddon Fractal..

Source please

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Mickey Frogeater.1470

Mickey Frogeater.1470

Evon is stated to have had religious reasons for seeking to fund the Abbadon Fractal…..

What if Evon is going to bring an Alternate Abbadon to Tyria and bring Nightfall once again yet in a more successful attempt!

Kryta Fleshy kingdom of Pain, Ascalon Plinth filled domain of Secrets, _Blood_peaks of Madness, Muguuma Jungle of Fear and the Steamspur Mountains of Anguish!

Second story arc of Living Story here we come!

Posted by: OtakuDFifty.2965

OtakuDFifty.2965

You liked Green Lantern shipping drama magnet?

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

Talked to him only to say I voted for him. He’s the true leader of Lion’s Arch.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Scarlet already attacked LA – that’s how we ended up having to vote for a new Council member in the first place.

No, the Aetherblades did, Mai Trin running that show. Somehow I doubt that’s what Scarlet wanted.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Trixie.7614

Trixie.7614

Evon was rich, was he not? If he wanted to make you happy, he would have sponsored the Abaddon fractal no matter what. He is a kittening miser and he cares not for anyone else but him. He wanted to buy your votes. Also he is a bloody charr.

Glorious Human Master Race.

Glorious Human Master Race

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

Man, check out Kiel’s nasty comments about Evon. First she send me a vitreous mail “thanking” me for voting for her and now this? I never met a more sore winner than her.

Posted by: OmaiGodman.2098

OmaiGodman.2098

Man, check out Kiel’s nasty comments about Evon. First she send me a vitreous mail “thanking” me for voting for her and now this? I never met a more sore winner than her.

What nasty comments?

Any plan that involves dead quaggans is, by design, foolproof. I’m an unmitigated genius!

Posted by: iamjaredk.9308

iamjaredk.9308

All this Keil bashing, but I believe that her election was either pre-planned or the votes went the way they should.

Reason:
Right after the election Scarlet’s minions started attacking different zones. You have to WP to be super effective. Keil’s election brought cheaper waypoints. Cheaper WPs + decent drops = money in the bank.

Evon’s would have brought cheaper BL chest keys, I do not see much beniefit from that. Anet would have loved the gem purchases (nothing against them), but for ingame content, Keil offered something that EVERYONE used (WP discount).

Although I would have liked to see the Abbadon fractal, I believe that Keil was the right choice as far as players would be concerned. The lore for Evon winning would have been epic, but we all know that it would come back to the same point eventually like the personal story lines played out.

Why so serious?

Traveller.7496

What nasty comments?

She was saying something in the effect that even though I didn’t vote for her, she’d work for what I want (and still gave me the wrong fractal) unlike that OTHER candidate.

OmaiGodman.2098

What nasty comments?

She was saying something in the effect that even though I didn’t vote for her, she’d work for what I want (and still gave me the wrong fractal) unlike that OTHER candidate.

I don’t really see what part of that comment could be considered “nasty” then. Isn’t that what all officials say after elections anyway?

Any plan that involves dead quaggans is, by design, foolproof. I’m an unmitigated genius!

Tobias Trueflight.8350

What nasty comments?

I don’t really see what part of that comment could be considered “nasty” then. Isn’t that what all officials say after elections anyway?

It’s not only that, Evon is incredibly unpleasant as a loser. As a winner who knows how he’d have treated those voting the other way . . . considering his game was to seize the Aetherblade loot and finance his own campaign instead of what Kiel wanted (to figure out whose it was and return it).

Also, he’s a charr, and thus has a future as a rug. Or so I hear.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Traveller.7496

Indeed, did anyone ever see any of the loot Kiel seized and said she was gonna return?

Yet the “unpleasant” loser warns us that he foresees trouble a-brewin’ for LA while the winner focuses on badmouthing him. Class act all the way!

(I was going to check out what exactly Kiel was saying, but she seems to have gone into hiding. Or changed her spot from outside the TP hall. – and I gotta admit they have at least done a semi-good job on writing this election, even though I still think it was rigged from the start.)

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Indeed, did anyone ever see any of the loot Kiel seized and said she was gonna return?

Why would any of us see it? We’re not the ones it got stolen from, and the focus wasn’t on that afterwards so much as it awkwardly shifted to Divinity’s Reach.

Yet the “unpleasant” loser warns us that he foresees trouble a-brewin’ for LA while the winner focuses on badmouthing him. Class act all the way!

Are . . . are we going to go back and forth on this? All right, let’s be fair and look at the two.

We kinda got to see Captain Evon Gnashblade didn’t mind playing dirty, or bribing, or leaving veiled implications of more underhanded stuff going on. Now, this is Lion’s Arch where this sort of thing is . . . actually about par for the course. We have a retelling of Evon’s arrival in Lion’s Arch on the heels of putting down an attempt by an Ash Legion warband to subvert the town. And there’s talk he’s helping a small group of people corner the Black Lion Trading Post supply on certain goods, but that’s as yet unproven even with asura economists investigating.

Captain Ellen Kiel was backed by Captain Magnus with an incredible amount of push, and hadn’t considered running until he set her up in a position to run. She was commander of the Lionguard during the Southsun debacle (both of them) and took the lead of the Lionguard investigation into the Aetherblade interruption of the Dragon Bash festival. She’s conducted herself more or less fairly, and places the ideal of justice over personal gain. She also has an incredibly immediate focus on problems and tends not to look too far beyond a current predicament, which can cause future problems to stack up. Rumor also has it she did nothing about the incursion at Claw Island, but that could just be unfounded.

(I gotta admit they have at least done a semi-good job on writing this election, even though I still think it was rigged from the start.)

If you could get the playerbase as involved as they were during that chapter, and into it so deep they kind of forgot the problems LA is full of complaints about now? Yeah, it was worth it. I doubt “rigged” so much as “they had a favored outcome”.

Traveller.7496

Oh, and by the way, I’m not so much pro-Evon or anti-Kiel than anti-establishment. I like that when being presented with an obvious choice, the mob can be a bit anarcistic and surprise the powers that be by doing something unexpected. In MMO’s, it would mean Evon winning despite Kiel being the ANet choice or something like killing Lord British in UO.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Oh, and by the way, I’m not so much pro-Evon or anti-Kiel than anti-establishment. I like that when being presented with an obvious choice, the mob can be a bit anarcistic and surprise the powers that be by doing something unexpected. In MMO’s, it would mean Evon winning despite Kiel being the ANet choice or something like killing Lord British in UO.

The killing Lord British thing was done, actually.

But the worst thing you can do for an actual game is to let the certain players run the story. Another lesson D&D GMs learned

Edit: For clarification

Traveller.7496

I know, I was referring to the actual event.

OmaiGodman.2098

We kinda got to see Captain Evon Gnashblade didn’t mind playing dirty, or bribing, or leaving veiled implications of more underhanded stuff going on.

And this is the reason I didn’t vote for Gnashblade. He stinks of corruption and if I want to vote for someone like him I’ll wait for real-life elections.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

We kinda got to see Captain Evon Gnashblade didn’t mind playing dirty, or bribing, or leaving veiled implications of more underhanded stuff going on.

And this is the reason I didn’t vote for Gnashblade. He stinks of corruption and if I want to vote for someone like him I’ll wait for real-life elections.

I dunno, it’s a little odd to say it’s corrupt when really the whole of Lion’s Arch is entirely not-on-the-level in comparison to what we consider ‘normal’ in the real world. So I find it hard to condemn him simply on that.

I’d rather do it for what appeared to be total naked greed and “win at any cost” when placed against someone I knew would work for other people as opposed to lining their pockets with illicit Black Lion taxes.

Smooth Penguin.5294

So what you’re saying is that a hard working, business owning, entrepreneurial spirit like Evon is evil because he’s successful? Thanks to Evon, those “illicit Black Lion taxes” help regulate the value of Tyria’s currency, so as we don’t end up with inflation like another popular game.

I’m still not sure why people support a person who spends all day tinkering with Fractals, while the threat of Scarlet is still around. At least Mister E Evon and “Jory” are around to help protect Lion’s Arch, since a certain someone else has been neglecting her job as a Lionguard.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

So what you’re saying is that a hard working, business owning, entrepreneurial spirit like Evon is evil because he’s successful? Thanks to Evon, those “illicit Black Lion taxes” help regulate the value of Tyria’s currency, so as we don’t end up with inflation like another popular game.

I’m still not sure why people support a person who spends all day tinkering with Fractals, while the threat of Scarlet is still around. At least Mister E Evon and “Jory” are around to help protect Lion’s Arch, since a certain someone else has been neglecting her job as a Lionguard.

No I’m saying Evon is evil because he’s a charr. Try to keep up The rest just cements it down for me.

OmaiGodman.2098

Yeah, keeping stolen goods for himself instead of returning them to their rightful owners sounds like he is a true, honest and hard worker…

Posted by: Talonblaze.3175

Talonblaze.3175

Yeah, keeping stolen goods for himself instead of returning them to their rightful owners sounds like he is a true, honest and hard worker…

There’s been no proof that Kiel returned such herself. You’d be surprised that there are people that will appear as a goody-two-shoes in the public eye and do the complete opposite when no one is looking. That and who knows if Magnus had a hand in anything either.

At least with Evon, we’d know he’d be using such to expand his business. We actually would know where it went. A business man is predictable in that regard. Whos to say that the returning of the valuables wasn’t ‘accidentally lost’ much like the Consortium records that were destroyed on her guard?
No one knows what Kiel’s motive for doing what she does, nor her main man Magnus to pull strings. I’d say wildcards we know nothing about is more of a problem than a simple dealer taking some profit.

Duty is heavier than death.

OmaiGodman.2098

So in your opinion, it’s okay to steal from others as long as you’re honest about doing so. With that kind of logic, no wonder you like Gnashblade so much.

Talonblaze.3175

So in your opinion, it’s okay to steal from others as long as you’re honest about doing so. With that kind of logic, no wonder you like Gnashblade so much.

I’d rather take the honest theif over the one that isn’t.

OmaiGodman.2098

So… if you met two people and one said they’ll kill you and take your money, and the other said they’ll take you home, you’d go with the first one because the second one might kill you and with the first one at least you’d know they’re telling the truth?

Your logic is flawed.

(edited by OmaiGodman.2098)

Talonblaze.3175

So… if you met two people and one said they’ll kill you and take your money, and the other said they’ll take you home, you’d go with the first one because the second one might kill you and with the first one at least you’d know they’re telling the truth?

Your logic is flawed.

The problem with your example is, they’d both still kill you anyways. Taking the one that says ’i’ll take you home’ simply means you are the one that’s oblivious.
The one that has told you about said threat, well, at least you can prepare yourself for whatever they throw at you instead.

Posted by: Underdark.3726

Underdark.3726

how do you know they’d both kill you? or, going back to gw2, do you have any proof that Ellen did not give back the goods? And don’t answer there is no proof that she did, because you are accusing a council member of stealing, so you either make proof of your accusation or you can be charged of defamation. And I heard that the jail in LA is not very comfortable…

Talonblaze.3175

how do you know they’d both kill you? or, going back to gw2, do you have any proof that Ellen did not give back the goods? And don’t answer there is no proof that she did, because you are accusing a council member of stealing, so you either make proof of your accusation or you can be charged of defamation. And I heard that the jail in LA is not very comfortable…

Because under the pretense of the example ‘killing’ was in place of the money from the ship in this regard. Both of them in fact take it. The difference was how they go about treating it.

“I’ll kill you” = Evon telling it straight, takes money.
“I’ll take you home” = Kiel ‘saying’ promises, with no guarantee of it being so, takes money.
Replace ‘takes money’ with ‘kills you’ and its the exact same scenario.

Considering the entire council is a bunch of pirates, I don’t think it would ruffle their feathers any. Besides, had Evon been elected, he’d still be in the chair even with knowledge of clearly where the money went despite it having different original owners. So accusing or not, it wouldn’t make a difference on Kiel’s position as a council member.
The only thing it affects is her morality, which is really the thing at question.

(Judging by how comfy Mai is in there mocking Kiel, doesn’t sound too bad.)

Tobias Trueflight.8350

The only thing it affects is her morality, which is really the thing at question.

Well, if we go about making up stuff about how she is a thief, a murderer, and a liar . . . of course it affects her morality.

I’d like to note, we have already seen a fair bit of Kiel before the election started. It’s pretty clear she does care about people, and does try to do the best thing for everyone involved and not just those in power. Consider the fate of the Consortium contracts . . .

OmaiGodman.2098

I just think it’s funny Talonblaze is accusing Kiel of things that he cannot prove in any way. I don’t know what country you’re from but over here it’s “Innocent until proven guilty”, but you seem to be from Planet Bizarro or something since you think the exact opposite.

Posted by: Teege.4623

Teege.4623

I’m still waiting on that proof.

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2.” -Colin Johanson
Don’t support the Gem Shop, it’s that easy.

Talonblaze.3175

Well, if we go about making up stuff about how she is a thief, a murderer, and a liar . . . of course it affects her morality.

I’d like to note, we have already seen a fair bit of Kiel before the election started. It’s pretty clear she does care about people, and does try to do the best thing for everyone involved and not just those in power. Consider the fate of the Consortium contracts . . .

Never called her a murderer. However if it helped further her goals (or her puppet string puller Magnus), I wouldn’t doubt she’d pull a Consortium records again.

And what’s her motive in all this? So far it seems she has nothing, wants nothing and couldn’t be any more flawless of a good guy. She makes Destiny’s Edge seem paltry in comparison. So either she’s the biggest Mary Sue as can be, or she’s clearly got her own agenda.

I just think it’s funny Talonblaze is accusing Kiel of things that he cannot prove in any way. I don’t know what country you’re from but over here it’s “Innocent until proven guilty”, but you seem to be from Planet Bizarro or something since you think the exact opposite.

Your very Kiel doesn’t seem to take that method of belief into account when she tried to detain Dessa in the fractals, just for her association for the Consortium (who no longer have done anything wrong), in a place she has no authority either.

Explain to me what reason Kiel had for trying to put Dessa in a cell next to Mia? Especially when Dessa had ever been so cooperative helping her research the Fractal (HHMMMM how DID Kiel fund that research btw? She’s not a businessman and I doubt an Ex-Lionguard like her managed to save up for this special occasion.)

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Truth behind Scarlet: There were two Scarlets.

Had we picked the Abaddon Fractal, then there would have been a completely different character/personality introduced, instead of the Mad Scientist we have now.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Never called her a murderer. However if it helped further her goals (or her puppet string puller Magnus), I wouldn’t doubt she’d pull a Consortium records again.

And what’s her motive in all this? So far it seems she has nothing, wants nothing and couldn’t be any more flawless of a good guy. She makes Destiny’s Edge seem paltry in comparison. So either she’s the biggest Mary Sue as can be, or she’s clearly got her own agenda.

I don’t think you can call her a Mary Sue with a straight face, since you spend so much time pointing out her flaws. I mean, even if you have to invent them. I mean, if anyone is a Mary Sue it’d have to be Evon.

A charr who abruptly has in his history how he kept Lion’s Arch safe, somehow managed to create and control the biggest merchant guild across Tyria (bigger and more efficient at banking than the Xunlai too), and if we take your words for it, is a graceful loser . . . while coming from a race whose response to humanity settling in a place is to literally run a scorched earth campaign across all of the civilized world.

Talonblaze.3175

I don’t think you can call her a Mary Sue with a straight face, since you spend so much time pointing out her flaws. I mean, even if you have to invent them. I mean, if anyone is a Mary Sue it’d have to be Evon.

A charr who abruptly has in his history how he kept Lion’s Arch safe, somehow managed to create and control the biggest merchant guild across Tyria (bigger and more efficient at banking than the Xunlai too), and if we take your words for it, is a graceful loser . . . while coming from a race whose response to humanity settling in a place is to literally run a scorched earth campaign across all of the civilized world.

-I- am pointing out her flaws, but apparently I’m wrong according to others. Hence why I said ‘OR’. Either I’m right and she is more than she appears, or she’s the flawless goody-two-shoes everyone seems to see.

Evon is far from a graceful loser, his dislike for Kiel is noted in more ways than one. He may be a successful businessman, but he didn’t get to such without cutting a few throats and other likely unpleasant things. Even going against his own legion to do so. (Which is VERY un-Charrlike) Not to mention its obvious his care for money is obvious. Not hard to find out what his motives and wants are. The only reason he bothered with LA was due to its potential for himself, not because ‘he wanted to help people’.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Evon is far from a graceful loser, his dislike for Kiel is noted in more ways than one. He may be a successful businessman, but he didn’t get to such without cutting a few throats and other likely unpleasant things. Even going against his own legion to do so. (Which is VERY un-Charrlike) Not to mention its obvious his care for money is obvious. Not hard to find out what his motives and wants are. The only reason he bothered with LA was due to its potential for himself, not because ‘he wanted to help people’.

Then, to be sure, you can see why I put support behind Kiel. Aside from not backing a charr. Last time someone in Kryta like that got power it kind of didn’t end well. Even if Saul meant well.

Talonblaze.3175

Then, to be sure, you can see why I put support behind Kiel. Aside from not backing a charr. Last time someone in Kryta like that got power it kind of didn’t end well. Even if Saul meant well.

And what do you know of Kiel’s past? You know -currently- she’s a respectable ex-captain with no political experience. Beyond that? I don’t think anyone knows. Could be a reformed criminal or something, but her lack of any solid information of her past, nor any experience in politics or trade is why I wouldn’t back her. You shouldn’t put someone in such a position of power who has no idea the implications behind it nor the responsibilities, either.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

And what do you know of Kiel’s past?

What I’ve been able to witness through Lost Shores, and the other things going on at Southsun, then later? As opposed to seeing almost nothing of Evon at all?

Hmmm. No, sorry, not really know much about Kiel. I know far more about Evon, you’re so very right there.

You know -currently- she’s a respectable ex-captain with no political experience. Beyond that? I don’t think anyone knows. Could be a reformed criminal or something, but her lack of any solid information of her past, nor any experience in politics or trade is why I wouldn’t back her. You shouldn’t put someone in such a position of power who has no idea the implications behind it nor the responsibilities, either.

I also shouldn’t put someone in power who explicitly would use it for his own gain.

Posted by: Silicato.4603

Silicato.4603

And what do you know of Kiel’s past? You know -currently- she’s a respectable ex-captain with no political experience. Beyond that? I don’t think anyone knows. Could be a reformed criminal or something, but her lack of any solid information of her past, nor any experience in politics or trade is why I wouldn’t back her. You shouldn’t put someone in such a position of power who has no idea the implications behind it nor the responsibilities, either.

In fact, we all know that she is under magnus’s wings since she was a child and was rescued from a ship where her dads died. So she has been the police’s daughter since ever.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

In fact, we all know that she is under magnus’s wings since she was a child and was rescued from a ship where her dads died. So she has been the police’s daughter since ever.

No, that’s not all we know. What we knew about went back a while to November 2012 when she was leading the investigation to the Karka attacks on Lion’s Arch and then leading the expedition through Southsun Cove to establish “Camp Karka”. After that remaining stationed there due to the influx of refugees trying to keep things from getting out of hand despite not having enough people to do the job being demanded of her by the Consortium.

Posted by: Silicato.4603

Silicato.4603

No, that’s not all we know. What we knew about went back a while to November 2012 when she was leading the investigation to the Karka attacks on Lion’s Arch and then leading the expedition through Southsun Cove to establish “Camp Karka”. After that remaining stationed there due to the influx of refugees trying to keep things from getting out of hand despite not having enough people to do the job being demanded of her by the Consortium.

ok, so we should agree that there is a lot of information about her past. All that “Could be a reformed criminal or something” is out of place. People know her and like her more than Evon. Just that simple.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

ok, so we should agree that there is a lot of information about her past. All that “Could be a reformed criminal or something” is out of place. People know her and like her more than Evon. Just that simple.

Eh, don’t go too far the other way :P (Also, it’s known she was a rescued child much the same way we know of Evon’s stand against his warband – through short stories which may or may not be acceptable as true accounts of what happened.)

What we should agree on is simply this – they introduced Kiel and a fair amount of players had already met her before. We’d worked with her before. In contrast, Evon had just shouldered his way into the diplomatic mission and started posturing. This is where I can agree the odds were stacked, in that presentation suggested one was more “on the level” than the other.

And it still was close :P

Posted by: Asudementio.8526

Asudementio.8526

Silly Evon. If you truly care that much about Lion’s Arch, bring your concerns to Ellen and work WITH her. The two of you together could do so much more to safeguard your city than nursing your grudges separately.

P.S. I STILL haven’t gotten my Black Lion tickets in your chests, Evon. You’re still not getting my vote.

Typical, a kiel supporter expects a bribe for their vote.

Leader of [Suh]
My moves are fresh, like my groceries.
#TeamEvonforever

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Silly Evon. If you truly care that much about Lion’s Arch, bring your concerns to Ellen and work WITH her. The two of you together could do so much more to safeguard your city than nursing your grudges separately.

P.S. I STILL haven’t gotten my Black Lion tickets in your chests, Evon. You’re still not getting my vote.

Expecting a bribe from someone who gave them out liberally? Who’d have thought

Smooth Penguin.5294

This is why Evon is best charr. His supporters know the truth behind Kiel.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

I don’t doubt that if Evon won the election, Kiel would have done the exact same thing and grumbled about Evon being interested in Fractals (remember he promised to show us Abbadon) and something else about his actions in Tyria.

Which raises a question… since Kiel’s Thaumanova research primary REAL purpose was to show Scarlet’s involvement there, would she have been shown to be present in Evon’s Abaddon fractal (via time travel or some other McGuffin)?

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I don’t doubt that if Evon won the election, Kiel would have done the exact same thing and grumbled about Evon being interested in Fractals (remember he promised to show us Abbadon) and something else about his actions in Tyria.

Which raises a question… since Kiel’s Thaumanova research primary REAL purpose was to show Scarlet’s involvement there, would she have been shown to be present in Evon’s Abaddon fractal (via time travel or some other McGuffin)?

You mean a macguffin like the Fractals’ Mistlock Observatory? Probably. Can’t be sure except if we went back in time and fixed it