Is it worth to farm giant Wintersday gifts?

in A Very Merry Wintersday

Posted by: Evix.1830

Evix.1830

As the title says.. I was wondering that is farming gifts from events worth the time?

I was also wondering that when is this winter event going to end?

Thanks in advance

-Evix

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m not sure which events you are referring to, but there is a chance to get some cool items from Wintersday gifts, albeit small.

The next update is January 21st. I would imagine that is when Wintersday ends.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Only drops worth anything are the back recipes and the unbreakable bell. You’d be better off farming the gold and buying the gifts than farming them. There’s still RNG with the loot from gifts so even then it’s likely not worth it.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Absolutely not. The loot is really really bad. You can look up the probabilities for the different items on the wiki (gotten from player research) and determine how many gifts you need to farm per hour in order to be comparable to, say, champ farming.

I remember doing a quick estimate and 100 gifts was equivalent to roughly 2 gold. But this was when the ugly wool sweater/socks/hats were worth a LOT more than they’re worth now.

You can check how fast gifts can be farmed on the JP (I’m not running the JP this year so I have no idea), but my guess is that it won’t be close to enough.

In short: As usual: champ farm and use the proceeds to buy whatever it is you want.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Personally I’m leaning towards “No”, as I’ve opened probably over 1000 Giant Gifts by now and have not seen either of the Ascended backpiece recipes or the Unbreakable Bell. The chances of them dropping is crazily small.

By all means, open up any Gifts you get through normal play and hope you get lucky, but don’t buy the Gifts in an attempt to beat the RNG game. That only results in poverty and sadness.

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

I’d say no.

The gifts are really crappy for rewards. Just my opinion though.

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I’ve opened thousands of gifts to try & get the mini ho-ho tron and nothing but wool junk and recipes with the odd dragonite/empy fragment here & there…..and yet I keep trying.

Posted by: Holion.5604

Holion.5604

opened enough of gifts to get both the backpiece recipes and still no unbreakable choir bells/ should have just bought one off tp instead silly me

Posted by: Kolwin.4950

Kolwin.4950

you have a chance to get the light of dwayna and shadow of grenth back recipe’s, the unbreakable choir bell, mini ho ho tron and the endless toy tonic. i have opened 15K giant gifts and got 13 light of dwanya’s, 23 shadow of grenth’s, 1 unbreakable choir bell and 1 endless toy tonic. along with 2,700 pristine snowflakes and other crap.

Posted by: KyreneZA.8617

KyreneZA.8617

you have a chance to get the light of dwayna and shadow of grenth back recipe’s, the unbreakable choir bell, mini ho ho tron and the endless toy tonic. i have opened 15K giant gifts and got 13 light of dwanya’s, 23 shadow of grenth’s, 1 unbreakable choir bell and 1 endless toy tonic. along with 2,700 pristine snowflakes and other crap.

So the ~300 gold’s worth of gifts netted you ~250 gold’s worth of rewards.

I had a similar experience, although on a smaller scale. Looked at the price of the mini and decided to buy 40 gold’s worth of gifts. Got the Dwayna recipe and another 20 gold’s worth of mats of which I sold half and kept half. Overall loss, like almost everyone reporting in this thread.

Recently returned to…
Aurora Glade some random MegaServerâ„¢, always being asked to volunteer for that buff…
Ranger | Necromancer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief

Kolwin.4950

So the ~300 gold’s worth of gifts netted you ~250 gold’s worth of rewards.

I had a similar experience, although on a smaller scale. Looked at the price of the mini and decided to buy 40 gold’s worth of gifts. Got the Dwayna recipe and another 20 gold’s worth of mats of which I sold half and kept half. Overall loss, like almost everyone reporting in this thread.

250 gold now yes… but not too long from now those recipes will go way up in price. dwayna was 15 gold last week and grenth was 7 gold. just like everything after it goes away it will go up in price. so my 250 gold could be 500 gold a few months from now.

Posted by: Nyuudles.9104

Nyuudles.9104

I got a mini ho-ho tron and a light of dwayna recipe with 250 gifts.
I’d say it’s worth trying atleast.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I’d say that’s pretty darned lucky. I opened 3x that on the first day and just got three of the grenth recipes…..

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

You’re lucky then. Or I’m unlucky. Or both. I’ve not specifically kept track of how many I’ve opened, but I’ve done a lot of Bell Choir (I’m pretty obsessed with it, TBH) so I’d guess at least 500 gifts, possibly even up to 750 of them. I’ve gotten 1 Shadow of Grenth recipe and that’s pretty much it. No mini (which is what I’ve been hoping for, Ho-Ho-Tron is the best LS character). No endless tonic recipes. No unbreakable bell. A whole bunch of Giver’s insignia / inscription recipes, but those are practically worthless. Heck, I’ve barely even gotten any weapon skins, maybe 3 total, not that they’re really worth anything either.

If I was doing it strictly for the rewards I’d say its been a collossal waste of time. Thankfully I’m doing it because I love Bell Choir and not for the rewards, though getting something would be nice.

Posted by: Yaj.5973

Yaj.5973

If this was last year then YES! cause last year you can get frames to make minis and/or everlasting tonics.

This year. nope.

The recipes are junk atm. grenth is like 1g and dwayna is around 8g. but i estimate they cost over 100g to make anyway.

Kolwin.4950

If this was last year then YES! cause last year you can get frames to make minis and/or everlasting tonics.

This year. nope.

The recipes are junk atm. grenth is like 1g and dwayna is around 8g. but i estimate they cost over 100g to make anyway.

grenth is at 2 gold 20s currently. was 3 1/2 last night. dwayna is 7 gold, was 15 last week. they will go up. and they cost around 200 gold to make. and i got a princess doll recipe from them which is currently at 6 gold

(edited by Kolwin.4950)

Posted by: ChaosKirin.1328

ChaosKirin.1328

I find that if you open them really quickly, all at the same time, you’ll occasionally get the same reward twice in a row. I was clicking away and ended up with two Light of Dwayna recipes immediately after each other. I sold one and gave one to a friend.

I keep hoping that’ll happen to me with the ho-ho-tron or unbreakable choir bell.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I find that if you open them really quickly, all at the same time, you’ll occasionally get the same reward twice in a row. I was clicking away and ended up with two Light of Dwayna recipes immediately after each other. I sold one and gave one to a friend.

I keep hoping that’ll happen to me with the ho-ho-tron or unbreakable choir bell.

That’s just RNG.

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

OP, the giant wintersdays gifts price on the TP is at about what I’d say their drops are worth. Mind you, the high value drops are very high value and very rare. So look at the price on the TP, figure out how much you can farm in an hour, multiply the two, and if it seems like a good hourly rate to you go ahead. Once you have the gifts, open them if you like gambling, or sell them if you don’t.