Missed Opportunity on the Wintersday Title

in A Very Merry Wintersday

Posted by: LordHogFred.3691

LordHogFred.3691

I was a bit disappointed to find that everyone gets Journeyman Toymaker for completing the meta achievement.
Journeyman Toymaker should only be awarded to those who achieved Apprentice Toymaker last year and those gaining the title for the first time should have been awarded Apprentice Toymaker. They should then be given the chance to “upgrade” to Journeyman next year, etc.
It’s a shame because this means that the most uncommon title will actually end up being Apprentice Toymaker which makes no sense.
Just would have been a nice touch IMO

Posted by: eldris.8461

eldris.8461

Not really fair to those of us who didn’t own the game last year

Posted by: adrianz.9672

adrianz.9672

It’s not really unusual for an MMO developer, or any company for that matter, to reward customer loyalty.

Posted by: Hermes.7014

Hermes.7014

Logically, those who hadn’t completed last year’s Wintersday should had gotten Apprentice Toymaker now, while those who had should had obtained Journeyman Toymaker.

Whether something is either wrong or right, someone will always complain about it.

Posted by: LordHogFred.3691

LordHogFred.3691

Yeah I see what you’re saying and I know what you mean, but I would imagine that if you didn’t have the game last year you would just need to wait until next year to get the Journeyman title, so you wouldn’t not be able to get, just be a year behind other people is all.

Posted by: BeaverVaulter.9437

BeaverVaulter.9437

Yeah, I agree that it would have made sense to have your first title be Apprentice, then “upgrade” each year.

I guess in a few years I’ll be proudly showing off my Apprentice Toymaker title to all the newly-minted Grandmasters.

[CTSL] – Kaineng

Posted by: Shew.6827

Shew.6827

Agreed with OP. The decision to reward every player, old and new, with a title that directly supersedes that given to the older players doesn’t recognize customer loyalty. Perhaps it’s not too late for them to update this? Otherwise, the decision may appear to be somewhat based off of insecurity with regard to old players’ returning. I’m looking forward to participating in Wintersday this year, but a title that recognizes my participation in this Wintersday and the last would give me more incentive.

Posted by: pmnt.4067

pmnt.4067

Yeah, I agree that it would have made sense to have your first title be Apprentice, then “upgrade” each year.

I guess in a few years I’ll be proudly showing off my Apprentice Toymaker title to all the newly-minted Grandmasters.

They could call the first title Grandmaster Toymaker and offer every year a downgrade: This year master, next year Adept ….

But tbh, I like OP’s suggestion more ^^

I can’t wait until ANet releases the game promoted in the manifesto.
Until that, I’ll play GW2.

Posted by: Ceallach.8740

Ceallach.8740

I like your idea a lot ! (and I didn’t get it last year since I had to take time off from the game around that time) I just don’t know how difficult it would be to actually implement. Probably do-able ? And really cool.

Posted by: Veron.8645

Veron.8645

I’m not sure fairness is really an issue here. The title has no functional purpose; it’s purely a cometic status thing.

The word “Journeyman” when compared to “Apprentice” signifies seniority, which is exactly what we are talking about: people who were there last year completed the meta, and people who were not there last year did not complete the meta. So it makes sense that people who have completed the meta twice should have their status symbol signify seniority over people who have not completed the meta twice.

Veron Oakguard | Wiki: Veron | Reddit: /u/OaksFromAcorns | Vintage Gaming [VG] (JQ) • Attuned [Att]

Posted by: Luthan.5236

Luthan.5236

I think they should have made a different title. I also don’t like that everyone can get journeyman now. But if they made apprentice a requirement then new players would complain. Even if they could get apprentice now instead(and others would get journeyman) they still would feel worse because they have 1 lower tier title.

Totally different title would have been a better idea.

Posted by: islarose.7356

islarose.7356

It’s not really unusual for an MMO developer, or any company for that matter, to reward customer loyalty.

Yep, that’s what the Apprentice Toymaker title is. This year, they’ve released a new one, Journeyman Toymaker… so how is that an issue?

Posted by: islarose.7356

islarose.7356

I’m not sure fairness is really an issue here. The title has no functional purpose; it’s purely a cometic status thing.

The word “Journeyman” when compared to “Apprentice” signifies seniority, which is exactly what we are talking about: people who were there last year completed the meta, and people who were not there last year did not complete the meta. So it makes sense that people who have completed the meta twice should have their status symbol signify seniority over people who have not completed the meta twice.

I see it as they completed the first year, thus Apprentice. Second year, Journeyman. Those who participated last year have a title that is now unobtainable, thus rewarding them with something others can’t achieve. It is exclusive and reflects their seniority, the rank is irrelevant. Anet kept with the theme of last year’s title, and they couldn’t go down in rank, especially if it’s an event that will continue annually, and changing it entirely wouldn’t make much sense, especially if new titles will be associated with the event every year. The lower ranks will be more exclusive. This year’s halloween meta didn’t even reward a title, and I’d rather have had “Ambassador to the Mad King” or something rather than nothing, as a sort of commemoration for every year the events were completed.