Random Respawns in Winter Wonderland puzzle

in A Very Merry Wintersday

Posted by: BUBBLES TICKLEPANTS.6315

BUBBLES TICKLEPANTS.6315

Why am I constantly being sent back to spawn for no reason? Either it happens via a completely random respawn, or I’ll take 3000+ damage in a second and it’ll spike me down. Videos are coming.

First: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymfx34eWlso&feature=youtu.be

Second: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dDSUXP48qQ&feature=youtu.be

(edited by BUBBLES TICKLEPANTS.6315)

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Most likely lag.

What you see in your system and what happens in the servers are to different things.

If you get a lag spike, you may stop while your character still walks to its death on the server.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

BUBBLES TICKLEPANTS.6315

Most likely lag.

What you see in your system and what happens in the servers are to different things.

If you get a lag spike, you may stop while your character still walks to its death on the server.

Second video? With the 1.5k+ damage spikes every second?

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Assuming you have a bad case of lag (800+ms spikes), the second video looks like fall damage. Once you take fall damage, as long as you continue to move without pausing, you will continue taking fall damage on every step. This is why you can instantly die when running down stairs.

Basically, the server thinks you didn’t make the jump and fell. Your client then tells the server you made the jump, which results in you falling from where the server thinks you are and where your client said you are. When your client doesn’t tell the server fast enough, this results in the server thinking you fell too far, causing you to get teleported back to the start.

BUBBLES TICKLEPANTS.6315

@Healix: The puzzle doesn’t have any drops that should register fall damage, though. It’s confounding.

BUBBLES TICKLEPANTS.6315

Don’t know how to edit, but I understand what you were saying, and that makes sense… although it’s frustrating as hell!

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

This was happening to me 3-4 times yesterday before I completed the puzzle. I highly doubt it was lag, nobody around me was lag frozen, and I can tell when my system is lagging.

The most annoying part was, I had just finished the jumping presents part, then was waiting on the platform waiting for the wind gusts to finish and I instantly got teleported back (it was not the wind gust). This happened twice in a row after I finished the exploding presents.

I finished the puzzle after that, but will never enter it again because of those random respawns.

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

Random respawns = lag.
It might not be on the server’s side (which is why other palyers don’t have a problem). It might not be on your side (if you can do any other thing on the internet without problems). It might be one of the links between you and the server.

Try to do a traceroute to the server’s IP when that happens.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/Complete-list-of-server-s-IP-addresses

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

Random respawns = lag.
It might not be on the server’s side (which is why other palyers don’t have a problem). It might not be on your side (if you can do any other thing on the internet without problems). It might be one of the links between you and the server.

Try to do a traceroute to the server’s IP when that happens.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/Complete-list-of-server-s-IP-addresses

I’m not so sure about it because when I was respawned, 2 of the 4 times it happened to me, it happened in the exact same spot, and it happened to my buddy as well in the same spot (just after exploding presents).

It just seems odd that it would lag there, but no where else in the game, but even more odd it happened 3 times that I know of now on the same spot just after those exploding presents.

Posted by: Arcain.9106

Arcain.9106

I’m not lagging. There is no lag. Can’t get past the snowflakes cause I get ported back EVERY BLOODY TIME!!! This is a bug. Not a lag issue.

I’ve been ported back after jumping on the first snowflake. I’ve even been ported back after switching platforms from Snowman to Gingerbread (might be a balance thing here though) this random porting back is getting out of hand and putting me off this bloody JP.

Posted by: radiantglyph.9085

radiantglyph.9085

It is definitely a bug. It’s not lag.

This exact thing has happened to me maybe a tiny handful of times before last patch, but since patch it’s happened to me almost 9 of every 10 times I respawn. Sometimes it happens without even taking a step, porting randomly between the gingerbread and snowman platforms, or the JP floor and the platform. It’s also happened while standing still on Tixx’s platform. The number of people in the instance doesn’t seem to have any bearing on it either :<

It’s completely random and thanks to how often it happens it’s made it virtually impossible to do the JP for the people experiencing the bug. Which near as I can tell from talking to other people in the instance and out of it is quite a few :<

Posted by: Sigleaf.1207

Sigleaf.1207

Same thing happened to me a bunch of times and I posted this yesterday morning and got flamed for it…. Glad to see the community here is full of ignorant elitists. Anyways, it’s clear the Anet team has no effing idea how to run or patch a game as evident by their many blunders. I’m about ready to quit the game over this.