9:40

ANET even made a sign to say “NO! Scarlet will NOT be in Wintersday content!”

CHEERS OF JOY!!!!!!

(edited by Kain Francois.4328)

Scarlet not Part of Wintersday!

in A Very Merry Wintersday

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

Hurray! A good decision to offset the introduction of ascended armors.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Thank you. Now those troll threads will hopefully stop happening.

Posted by: Juba.8406

Juba.8406

why !?

i liked Scarlet xD

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

why !?

i liked Scarlet xD

liked? has she died? lets hope so.

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

ANET even made a sign to say “NO! Scarlet will NOT be in Wintersday content!”

I bet Scarlet put them up to it so she could have the element of surprise when the Dolyak/Ice Wurm Alliance attack Lions Arch.

Posted by: BluePheonix.8972

BluePheonix.8972

In all honesty, I feel as though all the hate on Scarlet is unnecessary. I mean, it’s not like if we had a different villain the community wouldn’t have been pleased. Scarlet isn’t the problem, it’s the way Arena Net PORTRAYS her. From what I could tell from the short story they gave us on her, she could have been a very interesting character. I for one could care less what they do, as long as I get good content.

Sylvari Guardian FTW

Posted by: OmaiGodman.2098

OmaiGodman.2098

I think it is because she is shoehorned into pretty much everything, yet doesn’t really do anything. She’s a background character that constantly steps into the foreground. She’s dr. Claw as he is portrayed in the Inspector Gadget movie.

She has others do stuff and then shows up to take the credit for it. I guess people just don’t like that.

Any plan that involves dead quaggans is, by design, foolproof. I’m an unmitigated genius!

Posted by: Terra Dactyl.2047

Terra Dactyl.2047

They also don’t like the fact that EVERY plot is scarlet. They’re basically half a step from saying Zhaitan was one of Scarlet’s toys.

It’s like if EVERY crime in Gotham City was the Joker’s idea.
It’s like playing Clue if it was ALWAYS colonel mustard in the dining room with the candlestick.
It’s like if they told you who was behind the mask at the beginning of a Scooby-Doo episode.

It kills any reason to be curious about the story, and any reason to care. “I wonder what villain is behind this new nefarious plot! Oh right, it’s just Scarlet again. Because it’s always Scarlet. They don’t have any other villains anymore. I forgot.”

Posted by: Singer.8740

Singer.8740

Except your ignoring the fact that this living story arc is about Scarlet, it has been for almost a year. She is the main antagonist. Can you be anymore captain obvious.

Etheeria (The mad bomber). If you don’t have shellshock your not doing it right.

Posted by: Riot Inducer.8964

Riot Inducer.8964

Except your ignoring the fact that this living story arc is about Scarlet, it has been for almost a year. She is the main antagonist. Can you be anymore captain obvious.

You can’t really blame him when they try and make every new LS sound like a new and unique threat despite the fact that we all know it’s Scarlet again. I distinctly remember the teaser page for the tower of nightmares being unnecessarily vague about who was behind it despite the fact that anyone who’s played in the past year could guess it was another scarlet-based enemy mashup from the get-go.

Posted by: Heta.8629

Heta.8629

You can’t really blame him when they try and make every new LS sound like a new and unique threat despite the fact that we all know it’s Scarlet again. I distinctly remember the teaser page for the tower of nightmares being unnecessarily vague about who was behind it despite the fact that anyone who’s played in the past year could guess it was another scarlet-based enemy mashup from the get-go.

The living story arcs can still be unique even though Scarlet is behind it all. The molten alliance is nothing like the toxic alliance. They both have unique looks and mechanics plus completely different stories.

Posted by: Riot Inducer.8964

Riot Inducer.8964

The living story arcs can still be unique even though Scarlet is behind it all. The molten alliance is nothing like the toxic alliance. They both have unique looks and mechanics plus completely different stories.

Yes, but it’s the same basic formula; enemy faction A + enemy faction B = new mystery alliance.
There was the Molten Alliance (Flame Legion + Dredge), the Aetherblades (Inquest + Pirates), the aetherblades themselves contributed to one in Twighlight Arbor’s Aetherpath making the clockheart, and finally the Toxic Alliance (Krait + Nightmare Court).

You can mash up disparate factions all day long and get some cool effects but it doesn’t change the fact that with scarlet being the unifying force between all of them as soon as we see enemy factions working together we’re going to assume it’s scarlet.

Posted by: StriderShinryu.6923

StriderShinryu.6923

Yes, but it’s the same basic formula; enemy faction A + enemy faction B = new mystery alliance.
There was the Molten Alliance (Flame Legion + Dredge), the Aetherblades (Inquest + Pirates), the aetherblades themselves contributed to one in Twighlight Arbor’s Aetherpath making the clockheart, and finally the Toxic Alliance (Krait + Nightmare Court).

You can mash up disparate factions all day long and get some cool effects but it doesn’t change the fact that with scarlet being the unifying force between all of them as soon as we see enemy factions working together we’re going to assume it’s scarlet.

Another aspect of this is that, at the end of the day, it doesn’t matter what the actual form and function of the alliances were, because all we’re left with is Scarlet. It could be the most interesting bit of story ever conceived but after the two weeks/month period the only thing that remains to tie that arc to anything else or the world at large is Scarlet. Is this due to Scarlet being a bad character or the whole LS design as it exists? It’s say it’s more the latter than the former, but it’s still a problem that exists with Scarlet as it’s figurehead.

This also ties into the cries of “but it’s the LS that’s bad! Scarlet is good!” Yeah, not really. Just because Scarlet is potentially a good character on paper doesn’t make her an actual good character. The planning and concept of a character being important in large part ends once their actual portayal begins because that’s what we, the audience, see and react to. Scarlet’s poor portrayal being a symptom of the LS system or something that was flawed from the start doesn’t matter because what we are seeing of her is flawed. The best intentions don’t matter when the end result is poor. This isn’t gift giving where it’s the thought that counts.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

The thing about it, you get a group of people saying they “hate scarlet” then you get the bandwagon people who follow so they can have a good whinge on the internet, next thing you know everybody hates Scarlet.

Theres nothing wrong with the Scarlet story, and anyone with at least half brain knows it.

and those of us with a full brain know why she is such an awful and poorly written character.

At least we get a break from her for a while.

Posted by: cranked.3812

cranked.3812

The thing about it, you get a group of people saying they “hate scarlet” then you get the bandwagon people who follow so they can have a good whinge on the internet, next thing you know everybody hates Scarlet.

Theres nothing wrong with the Scarlet story, and anyone with at least half brain knows it.

You have just lost all credibility. The like or dislike or Scarlet is completely subjective to each individuals likes and dislikes. That’s like saying “I really loved that movie Terminator, anyone with a half a brain knows it was a good movie.” Does that make any sense? Some people will like it and some won’t. You liking it is an opinion and not a fact.

What was said above is spot on. Scarlet wouldn’t be so bad if she was used more sparingly. I know we are in the middle of this story arc, but wouldn’t it be more interesting and realistic if we were fighting different bad guys from time to time. They don’t even need to create a whole other arch villain. There could just be random events that needs a hero’s attention every once in a while, not the old, “OK what has Scarlet done this time?” Mix it up a little, that’s all most people are asking. Even ice cream, when consumed 3 times a day for 3 months gets old, and let’s face it, ice cream is delicious.

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

she probably got the flue we know trees hate cold weather

Posted by: Gabby.3205

Gabby.3205

Mah WuvWuv looks so purty <3
I wonder if we are going to get winter themed armor skins.

Thanks for posting the video!

Tarnished Coast
Astrid Strongheart, Norn Ranger.
“I wish juvenile wolves were bigger”

Posted by: Pizz.3698

Pizz.3698

Scarlet during wintersday would actually make sense if she had a grinch-like role and actually felt like being mean. I’d enjoy it way more since it wouldnt be lore without lore.

Piiz

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

You couldn’t be more wrong, even the writers say that it could of been done better. But I guess they must have half a brain as well.

Posted by: Rhialto.8423

Rhialto.8423

This also ties into the cries of “but it’s the LS that’s bad! Scarlet is good!” Yeah, not really. Just because Scarlet is potentially a good character on paper doesn’t make her an actual good character. The planning and concept of a character being important in large part ends once their actual portayal begins because that’s what we, the audience, see and react to. Scarlet’s poor portrayal being a symptom of the LS system or something that was flawed from the start doesn’t matter because what we are seeing of her is flawed. The best intentions don’t matter when the end result is poor. This isn’t gift giving where it’s the thought that counts.

The “Scarlet Good, LS Bad” thing is just people jumping on the WoodenPotatoes bandwagon. He thinks that any character in Scarlet’s place would be bad (or at least that’s what his video sounds like to me), but that isn’t really the case. The living story IS Scarlet, and it would be stronger if there were a better lead villain or the villain was portrayed in a better way.

Take characters like Illidan or the Lich King (different game obviously, but the principle is the same). Like Scarlet, they were uber-powerful and had their tentacles stretched out over the world in obvious ways, but they had two important differences from a character like Scarlet. First, they were based on existing lore and didn’t need to be retconned or shoehorned in. Everyone already knew they existed long before they were added in to the game. Second, we didn’t see them after every event that happened in connection to them; we saw them after a long slog during which our characters fought through their machinations and gradually became strong enough to face them. Any interaction we had with them before that was infrequent and very brief.

This is the kind of character that people would appreciate in GW2. I think the LS had real potential at the beginning and I sincerely hope they can bring the story back in line with the style and flair that is obviously present in books like Ghosts of Ascalon and Sea of Sorrows.

Posted by: dietzero.3514

dietzero.3514

Scarlet would have been fine if they had laid the proper groundwork, and put that great short story into an immersive game quest.

Instead we get that horrendous ‘she is king of all asura unis’ with no proper backstory.

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

No Scarlet is music to my ears!

It could be the best decision the powers that be have ever made

SBI

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

> No Scarlet.

Best update hands down.

You’re in the right track ANet. Now just make sure she never shows up again and we’re golden.

Posted by: Teege.4623

Teege.4623

Less Scarlet more carrot chasing. We.. won?

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2.” -Colin Johanson
Don’t support the Gem Shop, it’s that easy.

Posted by: narrock.6890

narrock.6890

I like scarlet, i dont get all the hate, is it because people dont like being beat up off a woman?

don’t get the hate hmm… you must never read forums also that jab at the the whole being due the fact shes female thing is juts awful to saw is not because she is female its never was nobody ever brought that up once people hate mary sue with more power then dragon, people hate hearing a voice actor that good at their worst , people hate “characters” with such lack on any context and motivation and, people hate GW1 being retconned to make her ’fit" in the story. Not that shes a female and it never was