Toymaker Title -- Why Not Progressive?

in A Very Merry Wintersday

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I saw the meta this year is “Journeyman Toymaker.” Last year it was “Apprentice Toymaker.”

This might sound like me trying to be exclusive. I assure you it’s not. I’m all for everyone getting any neat thing they want and I’m never obsessed with having pixels unique to myself.

However, the moment I saw the new title I thought “How awesome! They’re progressing us from year to year!” Except they aren’t, everyone this year who does the meta gets the Journeyman and cannot get Apprentice. Wouldn’t it be cool if you could amass all the Toymaker titles through the years simply by playing each year to advance a stage? Then it would show your long term stay in the game, plus you’d not be barred from the older titles.

Out of a very tiny sample of people I’ve talked to, they’ve all said they’d prefer it to be progressive (several said it independent of me, not knowing I’d suggested it). Ok .. I think one guildie who didn’t bother with the meta last year is happier to get Journeyman than Apprentice. But darn it, she could just collect Journeyman next year, right?

Posted by: no name.4389

no name.4389

I totally agree with Donari.
Obtaining the Wintersday titles would be much more encouraging when the titles would be progressive.

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

The issue is the same in SAB, with the titles being based on the world completed rather than total completion. I’m hoping (at least with SAB) that they introduce a meta-meta achievement that counts the number of titles you have earned. Something similar would be cool for holiday metas (ideally with maybe one less than total required for the title, so people who are away one year or bought late aren’t excluded just for one missed event).

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Same should go with WvW titles.

The first time you complete a season meta-achievement, you should get Veteran.
The next title would come after the first one.

In SAB you get the same title for completing the same world, and you can repeat previous worlds, so it’s all fine. for it.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Jovel.5706

Jovel.5706

I agree with the OP, it would be cool if ArenaNet brought back that sort of title progression from GW1. Titles alone made people stick around to progress through title tracks, even before the Eye of the North expansion came out with the Hall of Monuments.

So a couple of Wintersdays from now, people who picked up GW2 and played for a couple of days have the chance to earn some crazy title like “Legendary Grandmaster Toymaker” while people who completed the meta for the very first Wintersday have “Apprentice Toymaker” to show for it?

Just seems backwards.

Posted by: LordHogFred.3691

LordHogFred.3691

I totally agree, it doesn’t make much sense that they’ve done the titles this way.

EDIT: I made a similar thread here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/wintersday2013/Missed-Opportunity-on-the-Wintersday-Title/first#post3352394

(edited by LordHogFred.3691)

Posted by: OmaiGodman.2098

OmaiGodman.2098

I think it’s not even possible to do this unless the whole title system is rewritten. A title is bound to a certain achievement, which in this case is the final achievement for the meta. I doubt Anet took into account the possibility of “stacking titles”.

Any plan that involves dead quaggans is, by design, foolproof. I’m an unmitigated genius!

Posted by: LordHogFred.3691

LordHogFred.3691

I think it’s not even possible to do this unless the whole title system is rewritten. A title is bound to a certain achievement, which in this case is the final achievement for the meta. I doubt Anet took into account the possibility of “stacking titles”.

It’s something that they should seriously consider looking into. This early on in the games life is the time to make these changes before there are too many things that need changing.

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

Then it would show your long term stay in the game, plus you’d not be barred from the older titles.

Using Apprentice is essentially that.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

Posted by: Cottontail.8526

Cottontail.8526

Personally I think the apprentice/journeyman part of the title to be kitten.

I’d rather have a title that just says “Toymaker”

I can’t imagine using them as they are.

Posted by: kimeekat.2548

kimeekat.2548

Absolutely agree with OP! This would be really cool. It doesn’t make a lot of sense that “Apprentice” is gonna be the rarer, prestige title in the future when all the new kids will be “Grandmasters” or what have you.

Clove Zolan – Bringers of Aggro [Oops] – Blackgate