Toypocalypse Special Extended Edition

in A Very Merry Wintersday

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I really enjoy the Toypocalypse mini game, and I wish it lasted longer and got more difficult. I have a couple of suggestions for an update to this mini game, and feel free to share your own ideas.

• More waves of enemies of increasing difficulty.
  • Stronger enemy types with later waves.
  • Multiple bosses at the same time in later waves.
  • Large increase in rewards depending on how many Dolyaks survive each round. Later rounds reward more gifts per Dolyak.
  • New bosses with special abilities that specifically counter popular strategies. Bosses that charge through walls, or fire a beam that must be blocked with walls. Reward good use of blockades.
  • Make the defensive options more unique. Give the snowman, catapult and ballista a unique purpose.
  • Power ups perhaps?
  • Randomized lay out of the center fort. Right now the choke points are always in the same spot.
“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

It was more difficult last year but got nerfed since some people had problems.

Posted by: Talonblaze.3175

Talonblaze.3175

Great suggestions! I too found 10 waves just a tad too short as well!

Something else I wouldn’t mind seeing is an added bonus for perfect health dolyaks at the end of each round. “Flawless Victory!”

Duty is heavier than death.

Posted by: Fuzion.4193

Fuzion.4193

Ten waves without variation ends up being tedious just running all over the map breaking things, collecting things, building things, over and over. If they keep it unvaried as it is, I’d prefer they knocked it down to five waves.

I think if they added variance per wave, then it wouldn’t end up feeling so tedious and monotonous to play through. Last year not many pick-up groups could complete it and this year everyone could complete it.

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

Toypocalypse is so far my favorite Wintersday mini game, so I totally vouch for the idea. It does get redundant after you’ve set up all the necessary defenses, but increased difficulty would make up for it.

Posted by: Nicron.2794

Nicron.2794

/sign

i postet a thread a few days ago on this thread, but it seems not many people care about toypocalypse

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/wintersday2013/Please-improve-Toypocalypse

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

They need to add Scarlet and her minions to the Toypocalypse. That would make things interesting.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: pho.9412

pho.9412

toypocalypse is fun, but it is long. 10 waves is around 40 mins long. it doesnt need to be longer. it should be shorter.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I do agree that we should get more rewards each wave if all 5 Dolyaks are still alive.

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

toypocalypse is fun, but it is long. 10 waves is around 40 mins long. it doesnt need to be longer. it should be shorter.

Well I was thinking about a system or mode where you can continue playing for as long as you want. So it would keep spawning harder waves until eventually you lose. That’s how a lot of tower defense games work, eventually you are always overwhelmed.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

As Ayrilana mentioned, last year it was much more difficult . . . at first. But people complained hardcore until it was nerfed into what you’re seeing now. Back then, if you didn’t know what you were doing, it was all-but-impossible to keep five alive.

Now, it’s all but a cakewalk. And I don’t expect it to change back given its history.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I noticed there’s what seems to be a difficulty indicator in the top right corner near where it counts the waves, but mine is always at 1/2. Any idea what that is?

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Yeah I’m not sure if that is working as intended. Shouldn’t it get incrementally more difficult?

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Yes it’s supposed to but it’s essentially just 40 minutes of boredom now.

Seras.5702

As I thought. Shame, cuz I really expected the difficulty to ramp up for waves 5-10. It didn’t.

Then I thought after completing 10/10 “wow, that took a while. Now here comes hard mode……………..hard mo…har…..um…..nope, I guess we’re done”

Posted by: Chaotic Storm.2815

Chaotic Storm.2815

I’d love it if the toys made their own long range weapons in some waves. Force players out into the open to destroy them or risk having the dolyaks attacked through a method that by passes all our defences

#ELEtism

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

That’s a really good idea. Allow toys to set up siege equipment, so players are forced to engage them.

Posted by: mosselyn.5081

mosselyn.5081

I have to agree: I find it quite tedious after the first round. Once you get enough siege set up, the whole rest of the encounter is trivialized, and it feels long, drawn out, and boring. It would be nice if it ramped up each round.

With that said, I must come clean and say that I have guildies who seem to enjoy it tremendously as-is.

[OTG] The Old Timers Guild of Yaks Bend
www.oldtimersguild.com

Seras.5702

It is a lot of fun. But the difficulty needs to increase as it progresses. I still like it, but it’d be better if toys attacked while Toxx attacks, or there are 2 Toxx simultaneously at higher levels, or the size of the groups of toys increased, or the spawn frequency quickened. Ah well, still fun.