Trees — Gone?

Trees — Gone?

in A Very Merry Wintersday

Posted by: Anaeli.8053

Anaeli.8053

So, just an observation, really. In the first Guild Wars game, there were trees with decorations and lights, similar to Christmas Trees, in LA (and Ascalon City, too, I think?), but here in Guild Wars 2, there’s none of that. Just presents, snow, candy-canes and tinsel. o-o

Kind of curious. Were the trees forgotten? Or is this more of a thing to avoid stepping on any toes? (Official Dev response in charge of this would be, like, fantastical).

Trees — Gone?

Posted by: Uvatha.5476

Uvatha.5476

If you want a dev response you’re asking for a Christmas miracle.

Trees — Gone?

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

Scarlet made a new alliance with the christmas trees and mistle toe.

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

Trees — Gone?

Posted by: Romo.3709

Romo.3709

All that is because of today’s political correctness…

Trees — Gone?

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Decorated trees are not part of the Nativity and they could probably fit into non-denominational Wintersday.

Trees — Gone?

Posted by: Sorann Peace.9056

Sorann Peace.9056

As an atheist I see no problem with them putting Christmas trees in the game. The trees aren’t exactly related to Christ, y’know. Besides, most atheists could care less if you have a nativity scene in your back yard (e.g. private property, which this game basically is), it’s when government facilities host them that atheists tend to get on the offensive. I personally think it was more of an oversight really. Here’s to hoping they put them in, as I love Christmas trees myself.

Trees — Gone?

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

found one :p
it’s not a pine tre but it’s decorated
also, xmas barrels, so great

Attachments:

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Trees — Gone?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

As I understand it no one has ever objected to Christmas trees specifically, it’s the whole idea of Christmas (a religious festival for one religion) being publicly celebrated by (officially) non-denominational public bodies like the government. Which makes some people feel like they’re being left out and/or forced to celebrate someone else’s religion. It’s just that Christmas trees outside public buildings (or inside) and in town centers is the most noticeable example of that.

So if Anet were going to worry about that they should have done away with all the decorations, or any reference to Christmas and invented a completely unique winter festival to celebrate in-game. Not just decorated trees.

Alternatively maybe it’s a subtle nod to the fact that Wintersday started off as a religious festival for humans (honouring the battle for dominance between Grenth – who causes the winter, and Dwayna – who bring spring) and is now a general purpose celebration for all the races of Tyria.

(On a related note Christmas trees, and the whole idea of decorations centered around ever-green plants like pines, holly and mistletoe, pre-date Christianity if Europe and were adapted from older pagan traditions, so if anything it should be the Christians who object to them, but it’s probably a bit late now since they’ve been associated with Christmas since about the Renaissance.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Trees — Gone?

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

Them cutting cut a forest of perfectly harmless innocent trees, then dragging their dying bodies through the streets of every city, dressing them up in sparkly ornaments for the people’s amusement, and once their have turned into a withered husk of their former self; they get tossed in the garbage and/or burned.

They thought the Sylvari might find it offensive.

Trees — Gone?

Posted by: OmaiGodman.2098

OmaiGodman.2098

Instead they should just pay some Sylvari to stand there while holding a bunch of decorations

Any plan that involves dead quaggans is, by design, foolproof. I’m an unmitigated genius!

Trees — Gone?

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

My sylvari warrior, in cultural armour, is currently decked out in wintery colours for the season. If someone had given him decorations, he’d have cheerfully stood in LA for a bit being a Christmas tree. For the experience, you realise.

Instead, my asuran engi chucked back a snowman tonic and attempted to be a living sculpture on those magic snow patches. That was fun.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Trees — Gone?

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Instead of a tree, we got a decorated golem. That’s much better!

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Trees — Gone?

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

Christmas trees aren’t christian in the first place though and we have all the gifts, peppermint and ornaments that are just as non-biblical yet christmas-y. It’s clearly a matter of the art department not having the resources or time

Trees — Gone?

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Christmas trees aren’t christian in the first place though and we have all the gifts, peppermint and ornaments that are just as non-biblical yet christmas-y. It’s clearly a matter of the art department not having the resources or time

No, Christmas trees aren’t Christian, but they do seem to be the most recognized ‘trademark’ of the holiday. So to avoid any issue and to remain PC, they probably figured it was just safer to not do them.

Gifts and candles on the other hand do seem to be pretty typical of most winter rites.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Trees — Gone?

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

What is everyone talking about? We did get a Christmas tree. We got Scarlet, remember?

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Trees — Gone?

Posted by: Ceallach.8740

Ceallach.8740

I don’t think decorated trees would be a “problem”, but I also don’t really care that they’re not there. The area looks fully decorated and cohesive.

Trees — Gone?

Posted by: Anaeli.8053

Anaeli.8053

Wow. A lot of responses. xD

I’m not overly concerned. I just think it’s a semi-interesting observation when comparing the two games. Guild Wars 1 had these HUGE decorated trees that were really rather nice.

Instead of a tree, we got a decorated golem. That’s much better!

I will accept this. nods

Trees — Gone?

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

Ah, but too many people don’t care about that – they think the basic concept behind the Christmas Tree was invented for Christmas.

Trees — Gone?

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

Not sure, but I’d love to have a greater chance at getting one of those infinite tonics that can transform you into a tree. I’d have so much fun with that :-(

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor