Why were the wintersday skins reintroduced?

in A Very Merry Wintersday

Posted by: Kuzzi.2198

Kuzzi.2198

Was it a really bad design decision or was it just overlooked?

There were still nearly a million of these skins on the TP from last year, and they are getting even more overflooded.

Posted by: Henri Blanche.8276

Henri Blanche.8276

I thought the weapon skins were for the most part cool but they were way too easy to acquire. The market is unquestionably flooded with them. At the very least there should have been a new set of them this year.

My Necro still uses the Princess Wand skin.

(edited by Henri Blanche.8276)

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

My guardian uses a candy cane hammer. I love these skins. Very fun.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

I was kind of hoping for new skins myself.

No big deal, though, there will be new skins come along.

Level 80 Elementalist

Posted by: TheMagickDoll.7594

TheMagickDoll.7594

Why not introduce them? Something you can only get once a year isn’t restrictive enough? Having an unique character should be done by the player’s own creativity not having an item that no other person has.

Though I do like the idea of more weapon and armor options. The more options the better the ability for the player to make their character more unique.

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

Considering I hate when they don’t have skins available again for these events, I’m going to say, Thanks for having the skins available again!

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Why were they reintroduced? Because Wintersday is back. It wouldn’t make sense not to.

Posted by: Ellie.5203

Ellie.5203

if the logic is wintersday is back so obviously the skins would come back

answer us why last years halloween skins were the only ones not to be brought back

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

answer us why last years halloween skins were the only ones not to be brought back

and SAB skins. In fact, the precedent is that limited time skins no not come back, other than for a bunch of BL tickets.

Posted by: Ellie.5203

Ellie.5203

Halloween skins didnt even come back for Tickets…

Posted by: The Eternal Grace.3157

The Eternal Grace.3157

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/wintersday2013/Same-flipping-skins

That was my post about it. I thought the same thing. The market was already way overflooded with them, and instead of actually bringing new skins the the Anet from GW1 did, they decided to recycle skins that were already way too easy to get.

The Eternal Grace.3157

Why not introduce them? Something you can only get once a year isn’t restrictive enough? Having an unique character should be done by the player’s own creativity not having an item that no other person has.

Though I do like the idea of more weapon and armor options. The more options the better the ability for the player to make their character more unique.

It’s not like they were account/soul-bound. The market was flooded and it would have been easy to buy them if you really wanted. If you missed it, that’s too bad. Either deal with the fact that you won’t have them or buy them off the TP, just like the Halloween skins and other events.

It adds uniqueness and diversity between people, which is something this game is really lacking.

The Eternal Grace.3157

Why were they reintroduced? Because Wintersday is back. It wouldn’t make sense not to.

I’m assuming you never played Guild Wars 1… with the Anet that actually cared. They always had new, unique items each year. It added uniqueness value to the skins and were fun to collect…not this <1 silver junk we’ve been flooded with again.

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

First, are we referring to the cheap ones (like the Princess Wand, Candy Cane Hammer, Slinghot, etc.) or the Winter weapons (with the snowflake effect)?

If it’s the former, yes there are lots of them on the Trading Post and they’re cheap. So what? It’s not like everyone will use them. The impression I’ve gotten is that they’re considered ugly or just not fitting for the aesthetics of most. Either way, having the ability to get them without needing the Trading Post is still a good thing for those who want to get them that way.

The Winter skins (the rare ones) still cost over 100 gold for the most part and are very limited. Being able to get those without relying on the Trading Post or Black Lion Tickets is still a good thing, if they’ve allowed for it (probably not.)

Remember when the Super Adventure Box came back with new skins, but none of the previous ones? That was a bad idea (among other things they did, but that’s not relevant here).

“But you can just buy them off the Trading Post!”

Not quite. There were the Tribulation Skins, which you couldn’t get that way, and the Super Backpack, (which was only available from Moto, not as a drop, and thus wasn’t sellable at all) which I wanted another of.

They did that with Halloween this year too. No Greatsaw, Grinning Shield, or Mad Memories, and a few other skins from the first time. Although they did give quite a few new ones, most if not all of them required Black Lion Tickets (or just buying it off the Trading Post), and the craftable weapons had the requirements for them ridiculously scaled up, making it impossible to do without grinding the Labyrinth and using the Trading Post to get what you needed. Or having the recipes from the first time. Halloween was quite a disappointment because of that, among other things.

So, no. Being able to obtain all the skins from last time is a good thing, since this event only happens around this time of year. All these arguments for exclusivity (because that’s what it really is) all sound like this: “I got this, now I don’t want anyone else to be able to get it!”

If you don’t want the skins, just ignore them.

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

Well these skins were never going to be exclusive with how many of them there were to begin with. If you like them for looks, get one. If you want exclusivity these have always been some of the absolute worst skins in that regard.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

The Eternal Grace.3157

Remember when the Super Adventure Box came back with new skins, but none of the previous ones? That was a bad idea

I disagree. I thought it was a great idea. If you played through the first part of SAB like everyone else, you got rewarded for it in a way that no one else could after that. If you really want the skin, there’s the TP.

…Halloween was quite a disappointment because of that, among other things.

Again, disagree. That was one of the best parts of Halloween…they didn’t recycle skins for no reason. Again, more rewarding to the actual veterans at this game who were here since last October.

So, no. Being able to obtain all the skins from last time is a good thing, since this event only happens around this time of year. All these arguments for exclusivity (because that’s what it really is) all sound like this: “I got this, now I don’t want anyone else to be able to get it!”

And, of course, I disagree yet again. I think being able to obtain all the skins for last time is a terrible thing. Like you said, the event happens every year, so why do they have to recycle the same things, too? It’s not about exclusivity, it’s about a collection. What good is a coin collection if every coin made in the 1800s was still made today? It’s what makes you stand out from the crowd and be able to say “Yeah, I’ve been playing since Christmas 2012” or at least prestigious enough to be able to say “I had enough money to buy them.”

It’s not “I don’t want anyone else to be able to get it!”, it’s a simple factor of “I don’t want everyone to have it”…especially with how the market was already flooded. Right now, the Halloween skins are the best thing that’s happened with the Super Skins right behind.

For example, what would be the point of using my fiery dragon sword skin from GW1 HoM if everyone was still able to get it in GW2? There wouldn’t be a point, because probably everyone would have it. It adds uniqueness and prestige to your items.

The Eternal Grace.3157

All these arguments for exclusivity (because that’s what it really is) all sound like this: “I got this, now I don’t want anyone else to be able to get it!”

Sorry for the double-post, but if it is an argument for exclusivity, like you said that’s what it really is, why can’t I get the achievements from previous living stories (especially last Wintersday)? Why can’t I get the mini from a previous meta? Why can’t I do the dungeon from the Flame & Frost (other than bits in Fractals, obviously)? Because this game really is all about exclusivity. It’s the right to say “I was there at [insert time] and did [insert accomplishment].”

If you don’t want exclusivity, I’d honestly say don’t play GW2.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I disagree. I thought it was a great idea. If you played through the first part of SAB like everyone else, you got rewarded for it in a way that no one else could after that. If you really want the skin, there’s the TP.

Then what does a player do when they come in, say, 3 years into GW2’s release, wants a blue SAB greatsword, but there’s none left on the TP? All available copies have already been bought and used.

I think being able to obtain all the skins for last time is a terrible thing. Like you said, the event happens every year, so why do they have to recycle the same things, too? It’s not about exclusivity, it’s about a collection. What good is a coin collection if every coin made in the 1800s was still made today? It’s what makes you stand out from the crowd and be able to say “Yeah, I’ve been playing since Christmas 2012” or at least prestigious enough to be able to say “I had enough money to buy them.”

A collection does not need to be exclusive. The point of having a collection is to collect everything in the set. “Gotta catch ’em all!” to quote another popular video game. I agree with Nilkemia here. Wanting to deny other players the chance to complete their collection smacks of someone who, having made it to the top, now wants to set up roadblocks to ensure nobody else (or only a select few) can get there.

It’s not “I don’t want anyone else to be able to get it!”, it’s a simple factor of “I don’t want everyone to have it”…especially with how the market was already flooded.

And not EVERYBODY will use it. Sure, the market is flooded with enough skins that everybody who wanted a Princess Wand skin can get one, but ask yourself this. How many people do you actually SEE wielding one? Just because everybody has access to a skin doesn’t mean they’ll use it.

For example, what would be the point of using my fiery dragon sword skin from GW1 HoM if everyone was still able to get it in GW2? There wouldn’t be a point, because probably everyone would have it. It adds uniqueness and prestige to your items.

I sure as hell would still use mine. I have fond memories of my FDS from GW1 and I’m using it in GW2 because I’m roleplaying it as an heirloom handed down from my GW1 Warrior to my GW2 Warrior.

I couldn’t care less if 1,000,000 other players used the FDS. All I care about is that I like the way the item looks on MY character. Why should I care about what other people are using? They could all be using Bolts or Wooden Swords and it still wouldn’t make a lick of difference to me; I don’t like either of those skins, so I won’t be using them. End of story.

Sorry for the double-post, but if it is an argument for exclusivity, like you said that’s what it really is, why can’t I get the achievements from previous living stories (especially last Wintersday)? Why can’t I get the mini from a previous meta? Why can’t I do the dungeon from the Flame & Frost (other than bits in Fractals, obviously)? Because this game really is all about exclusivity. It’s the right to say “I was there at [insert time] and did [insert accomplishment].”

I WOULD like to see achievements from previous Living Stories return, if it made sense for them to do so. (Like Pumpkin Carving from Halloween. The Pumpkins were back, so why not the achievement or the title?) I would have preferred it if, instead of creating Fractals for them, ANet instead puts in a Historian NPC that lets you replay the dungeons in all their former glory, allowing you to get the achievements and rewards at your own pace. And it would not in any way invalidate your own experiences. You know you were there at [this time] and did [this achievement]; what difference does it make to your gaming experience if another player were to repeat the content 6 months later?

I play GW2 because I like what ANet has created, but I do miss the way GW1 used to do things. Everything there was achievable by anyone, anytime.

Posted by: Riot Inducer.8964

Riot Inducer.8964

Because everyone hated that they didn’t bring back the Halloween skins. Thus they’ve brought back the Wintersday skins to avoid a similar situation. This thread along with the “re-revert the Grenth Hood” thread are the most indisputable proof I’ve yet seen that you can never please everyone.

Posted by: Kuzzi.2198

Kuzzi.2198

Because everyone hated that they didn’t bring back the Halloween skins. Thus they’ve brought back the Wintersday skins to avoid a similar situation. This thread along with the “re-revert the Grenth Hood” thread are the most indisputable proof I’ve yet seen that you can never please everyone.

I LOVED that they didn’t bring back Halloween skins and made new ones. It gave me hope for the future of this game.

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

Having some rare, limited-time stuff that you need to show up for to get is a good thing for the game. If everything always comes around and is available to everyone perennially, then it kills the specialness of having exclusive items, and i say this as someone who wants some of the old skins and can’t afford them atm.

That said, these specific wintersday ones were never particularly rare or exclusive and i bet that some time during this event we will see a new BLC set.

The Eternal Grace.3157

I LOVED that they didn’t bring back Halloween skins and made new ones. It gave me hope for the future of this game.

+1 Definitely agree. I honestly don’t get much hope for the future of this game anymore.

The Eternal Grace.3157

It’s not “I don’t want anyone else to be able to get it!”, it’s a simple factor of “I don’t want everyone to have it”…especially with how the market was already flooded.

And not EVERYBODY will use it. Sure, the market is flooded with enough skins that everybody who wanted a Princess Wand skin can get one, but ask yourself this. How many people do you actually SEE wielding one? Just because everybody has access to a skin doesn’t mean they’ll use it.

That’s true, but at the same time, I’m guessing there would be quite a few more people using it if it were more exclusive. Right now with the flooding and the price, it makes it not different to use than say a beginning level 10 skin from Queensdale. It’s flooded, everyone has one, and it doesn’t look that great, so what’s the point of using it?

I sure as hell would still use mine. I have fond memories of my FDS from GW1 and I’m using it in GW2 because I’m roleplaying it as an heirloom handed down from my GW1 Warrior to my GW2 Warrior.

I couldn’t care less if 1,000,000 other players used the FDS. All I care about is that I like the way the item looks on MY character. Why should I care about what other people are using? They could all be using Bolts or Wooden Swords and it still wouldn’t make a lick of difference to me; I don’t like either of those skins, so I won’t be using them. End of story.

That isn’t the end of story. I don’t want to look like every other player out there. I want to be unique, because in life, I am not exactly like anyone else. It’s nice to get a PUG in your party to say “Oooh, nice [insert item]. Where did you get that?” vs. thinking “Ok, another fricking copy of every other Mesmer in the game” or something similar.

I WOULD like to see achievements from previous Living Stories return, if it made sense for them to do so.

However, you don’t. So why are people who didn’t get the achievements getting ripped off and the people who didn’t get the skins aren’t? Personally I think it should be the other way around. Achievements should be something everyone should be able to ‘achieve’ where items should be something you have to earn/buy. Anet has very backwards logic sometimes.