Winter Wonderland puzzle is EVIL

in A Very Merry Wintersday

Posted by: Omg Im Target.3095

Omg Im Target.3095

nahh, its just annoying… and tedious… and buggy with hitboxes, Clocktower still no1.

Sometimes i wish i could dislike stupid comments like this

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

How many times we have to o this to get all of the achievement points?

200?

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

BTW, I also don’t like the idea of a scoreboard. It means that occasionally the round will be over while I’m still platforming, and a giant window appears that obscures my view. This JP does not need a scoreboard, because it’s not really a competition. Look at the scoreboard at any given day, and you’ll see 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 and maybe one guy with a really high score. That kind of makes the scoreboard pointless. It would be better if the rounds just never ended, so you could keep trying without being interrupted.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Haaretram.6214

Haaretram.6214

How many times we have to o this to get all of the achievement points?

200?

60 times. There are 2 tiers of the achievement. First tier requires a single run for a single point. Second tier requires 20 (19 more), and gives 5 points. This creates the following progression:
Runs Points

1           1
20         6
21         7
40         12
41         13
60         15 

Posted by: zerotwo.4731

zerotwo.4731

If your fast enough you can complete the JP 20 times before the timer runs out. I found the clock tower much more difficult. TBH, this puzzle ends after the gift boxes that explode. From there its a cake walk.

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

I DID IT! Woo hoo! Finally got through last night. First thing I noticed was getting past the candy canes that stick out about a quarter way through… I kept failing at those early. Then it was getting to the mints and the middle fast enough. I finally started getting there regularly with about a thousand or so health. After many fails on the presents (and a peek at the forums here) I finally settled down a bit, watched for quiet moments and eventually wound up completing the presents section by jumping off the mint Tixx is standing on and going nearly straight up that way. After that it was fairly easy.

I think I’ll do it again tonight, and for the moment I retract any prior grumbles about the jumping puzzle.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: anabasis.7346

anabasis.7346

There is a trick to do the exploding presents whilst the blue parcels have appeared.

No waiting involved.

So far my record is completing the puzzle 15 times within the 30 min timer.

What do you do when someone has already crossed the exploding presents, and the thing doesn’t reset?

It will reset if more players jump on the presents before you do it. Just sit there and watch them struggling to get to the top and die XD. Then be the first one to jump before the blue presents spawn and you won’t have any trouble. Very few if any presents will explode if you are the very first one jumping right after a reset.

Posted by: Zoria.1392

Zoria.1392

I did my 20 and probably won’t do anymore. I still like the Halloween puzzle best but removing the people made it a million times easier— almost too easy.

If having trouble, try the gingerbread path. That’s the one I could repeat even if giant characters were hiding my asura. It was easy to memorize and I never ran out of time.

For presents, wait for a fresh batch and make a running jump before the blue presents land. Try to go straight up.

If you get up the presents super fast, you might arrive just as the wind is blowing. Dodge roll across the round peppermint and jump onto candy stick to avoid wind.

Jump immediately on to path after each snowball rolls by, do not hesitate.

When jumping off path toward big box, jump FAST off that first blue box or you will get hit. You can relax after you clear that first box, you have time.

Posted by: MarMaster.6241

MarMaster.6241

This puzzle ranks below the steam vents of southsun, and of course the Mad King Tower. Doing this successfully seems require a “clear and focused” mind.
So far, my max completions in a “game” is 10, but I have done this 110 times now. Time to go back to reality
The exploding puzzles is definitely the most random part, but being either solo, or first is the best way to improve your odds

Dragonbrand (JQ) [FIRE]bats ~ Trusted member of the Universe
Mar Steadfast G, Silent Intrigue T, Mar Fidget Engi, Mar Fierce W, Silent Awe M
In GW2 since BWE1 ~ ~ ~ Guild leader of Legio Romana [LR], too

zerotwo.4731

The problem I’m finding is that I get to a point where I’m waiting for the snowflakes to spawn in front of me as I jump. I guess this is to control the time you arrive at the present boxes but who knows. For me its annoying.

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

I disagree with the original poster entirely, sure wish I could un-like posts.

The fact that the jumping puzzle is -evil- shows that it is completely flawed. As it stands the buggy exploding presents just make the whole puzzle frustrating and tedious. Only an idiot that delights in others discomfort would find it entertaining at all, it shows what kind of people certain posters are.

We need a fix.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

The problem I’m finding is that I get to a point where I’m waiting for the snowflakes to spawn in front of me as I jump. I guess this is to control the time you arrive at the present boxes but who knows. For me its annoying.

Especially left path…..The other 2 are ok. I only experience that once in a while. But left path….EVERY SINGLE TIME. I quite like the left path’s route but this really ruins it.

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

I disagree with the original poster entirely, sure wish I could un-like posts.

The fact that the jumping puzzle is -evil- shows that it is completely flawed. As it stands the buggy exploding presents just make the whole puzzle frustrating and tedious. Only an idiot that delights in others discomfort would find it entertaining at all, it shows what kind of people certain posters are.

We need a fix.

I have to admit, I wasn’t too fond of the changes at first. However once I got the feel for them again it’s really not that bad. I think the worst part on a personal level was that it was different from what I expected and enjoyed so much last year. Yes, the presents can be a pain, but on the flip side you can actually take a pause there and wait for the right moment, so it washes out. Just keep in mind what other people are adding as hints… the blue presents in the front are bad. Try to avoid those by jumping over them. Then it’s pretty smooth sailing.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Spinex.3695

Spinex.3695

Way too annoying, make one easy at least. I don’t even want treasure just an achievement

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

They all are pretty much the same. There’s no difficult path.

Posted by: Andele.1306

Andele.1306

I don’t like the addition of Tixx in there. While the checkpoint is welcome, the first couple of times I didn’t even noticed he was there. And three dialogue choices, the middle of which being the one you want? I have clicked the wrong option by accident several times now. Here’s what they should have done:

• Remove Tixx
  • Everyone carries a present by default
    [s]* When you get to the halfway point it automatically sets the checkpoint
  • If you fall you lose your extra present, but can still continue from the checkpoint[/s]

See? No npc required. Just make it automatic.

That’s how it was last year, sans the strikes. There was also no checkpoint. The damage you take was also like, a third of what it is now though.

Oh, and the snowflakes actually crumbled beneath your feet, forcing you to keep going.

Last year you also couldnt be kittened over by people using pvp traits to cheat past specific parts nor were the presents buggy if some idiot jumps on them before all form forcing another person to intentionally fail to reset the presents.

When life gives you lemon, ask if its from a anime or manga.

Posted by: Yoh.8469

Yoh.8469

Having played both the old version and the new, and being somewhat of a jumping puzzle fan, I have a few words about the new changes, some good, some terrible.
(I played the old version like a 100 times….. yeah)

The first half snowflake part is easier and is mostly the same, just the snow flakes seem to break slower, so as long as you stay ahead of it, your fine. And being able to reset quickly makes this so much easier/better, so overall a good change.

The check point is a nice addition, maybe making it too easy, but given the present section, I can understand why. And the options for rewards is very nice.

Which brings us to the worse part, the present section.
It is complete BS. It is terribly designed random crapshoot.
The old version was consistent, it would always break at the same time in more or less the same order, and as such you could find a consistent path up.

But not here, as soon as it starts it just falls to pieces randomly with one noticeable exception, just right when it forms it is stable. However, the critical problem lies in how it breaks and resets.
You actually have to wait until another bloody player triggers the collapse by jumping on it, and probably falling as a result since it is such a prick.
So if your not the first to jump on it, it will collapse right under you.

You should never, ever, EVER, have your progress negatively effected by another player in a jumping puzzle. That is just insanely idiotic.
And so you have to wait around at the checkpoint and hope that some poor sod jumps on it, just so that you can jump on it the second it reforms to run through it.

It’s a right pain in the backside.

Instead the present section should go through phases, collapsing and resetting on it’s own, regardless of what the players do.

-
The last snowball section is identical to last year, and it’s fine as is.

Then there is the score board mechanic which is new. I even suggested something like this some months ago, not the way I would have gone about it, but it’s a welcome change.
However, give a freaken reward to the top three runners.

What’s the bloody point of having a score board if your not rewarded for winning?
As someone who spent half an hour to win I might add.
Seriously, if your going to have these lengthy jumping puzzle races, esp one with random BS in it, you’ve got to reward participation a little better.

So top three runners get extra presents or something, or maybe a chance at a new skin, get creative.

-

Lastly is the players themselves. Which the wardrobe change is ok if a little bland, it more an issue as always that peoples big fat @ss gets in the way sometimes, thou the fast resets elevate this problem somewhat.
It might be nice to have other people be transparent like in the clocktower or something. Or maybe turn them into ginger bread men, idk.

Overall, I prefer the original, it required more skill and was a little more consistent, but with a few more tweaks this one could be really good.

(edited by Yoh.8469)

Posted by: Black Regent.5897

Black Regent.5897

I have no idea how the presents work. People’s theories here don’t pan out. I stood and watched it through multiple iterations and it made no difference if someone jumped on blue or not. Sometimes all the presents started to blow, sometimes not. Sometimes presents were blowing up even as they spawned and leaving huge, impassable gaps. Sometimes presents exploded within two or three seconds, sometimes they just sat there without exploding for 15+ seconds.

Typical ANET. No sense whatsoever.

Oh, and if I spend more than about 15 minutes trying at the puzzle I get disconnected for inactivity….

Posted by: Keneth.6490

Keneth.6490

I wish it was harder, actually.

I have had no trouble with any part of the jumping puzzle. That includes the gift boxes which follow a pretty easy pattern, although it does seem more random than last year.

I can consistently do over 10 runs before the timer runs out by jumping only with my mouse hand. If I use both hands, it’s fairly easy to get 15+ runs.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I think the changes have made it slightly harder since last year, but it’s still extremely easy with some experience. I always grab the checkpoint at Tixx since you only get 2 more Giant Gifts bringing the present to the end; not worth the wasted time you have to spend again if you make a mistake at the exploding boxes.

I do agree that the puzzle is much more fun seeing other players though. I wish there could be a way to make the Clocktower show other players again without unfairly penalizing players with smaller characters.

Posted by: Katastrofi.5816

Katastrofi.5816

The Wintersday JP is not challenging at all, which is kind of disappointing to me. The Clock Tower was more of a challenge and even if you got proficient at it, it still required concentration. I can do 29/30 successful runs in the wintersday JP while watching a TV show on my other monitor.

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

Im just wondering why the puzzle resets itself. I finish the evil present part, land on the other platform, I get warped back to the beginning. I make it further next time to the snow boulders, I’m standing on the candy platform waiting for the boulder to roll by, and I get warped back to the beginning.

I then get passed the boulders to the last presents area, and I’m jumping and whamo, warped back to the beginning.. what gives?

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Im just wondering why the puzzle resets itself. I finish the evil present part, land on the other platform, I get warped back to the beginning. I make it further next time to the snow boulders, I’m standing on the candy platform waiting for the boulder to roll by, and I get warped back to the beginning.

I then get passed the boulders to the last presents area, and I’m jumping and whamo, warped back to the beginning.. what gives?

You are lagging/out of sync with the server. It thinks you are dying/falling.

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

I still like last year’s version better, it wasn’t broken, I don’t know why they choose to change it.
Randoming the pathing is more fun, and snow flake drops faster.
I think they randomize the present part to make it more challenging but farmer always know the way up, however casual has much harder time now. I often see 70% of the scoreboard is <=1 but on the run I always see 4+ people at the checkpoint, so they probably don’t make it pass the presents.

I prefer this year’s version. I couldn’t finish last year’s, simply because I got annoyed at having to wait for ages (at least, after the umptieth time it feels like ages) before I could try again. The same with the clocktower.

This year, I actually finished it. It still took me a few tries, but I could restart immediately again.

I’d like to refute what you say, that the casual has a harder time now. Because of the halfway point, it’s a lot friendlier for the casual, as you can take a breather there and watch others do the next area.

Ayrilana.1396

The whole “it’s harder on the casuals” argument is normally blindly used to strengthen a weak argument. I see it used very often with nothing that actually backs up why.

zerotwo.4731

I would understand the argument about the exploding presents if you didn’t get an area to stand in and wait. PPL should not be complaining. Yes, it’s random. Don’t try to figure it out. Just be the first to go (usually just before the blue presents show up) and you won’t have a problem.

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

I still like last year’s version better, it wasn’t broken, I don’t know why they choose to change it.
Randoming the pathing is more fun, and snow flake drops faster.
I think they randomize the present part to make it more challenging but farmer always know the way up, however casual has much harder time now. I often see 70% of the scoreboard is <=1 but on the run I always see 4+ people at the checkpoint, so they probably don’t make it pass the presents.

I prefer this year’s version. I couldn’t finish last year’s, simply because I got annoyed at having to wait for ages (at least, after the umptieth time it feels like ages) before I could try again. The same with the clocktower.

This year, I actually finished it. It still took me a few tries, but I could restart immediately again.

I’d like to refute what you say, that the casual has a harder time now. Because of the halfway point, it’s a lot friendlier for the casual, as you can take a breather there and watch others do the next area.

Last year I can catch the next run after opening the chest. Because unlike clocktower, which has a set time you have to wait for the opening to jump in, wonderland could be finished as fast as you can possibly do.

It is friendlier, but it’s much harder as there isn’t really a set pattern that they can “learn”. Even if they use the checkpoint feature, the 1st and 2nd try won’t be the same. Unless ofc, to wait for all presents to disappear.

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

If your fast enough you can complete the JP 20 times before the timer runs out. I found the clock tower much more difficult. TBH, this puzzle ends after the gift boxes that explode. From there its a cake walk.

The exploding gift boxes are the easiest part, you can just run up the middle.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

Posted by: Ezrael.6859

Ezrael.6859

This jumping puzzle is worse than last year.

Nothing needed to change, all the changes have made it less exciting.

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

I would understand the argument about the exploding presents if you didn’t get an area to stand in and wait. PPL should not be complaining. Yes, it’s random. Don’t try to figure it out. Just be the first to go (usually just before the blue presents show up) and you won’t have a problem.

Or if you see that everybody is lazily waiting, just choose the 3rd option and reset the presents for everybody. You’re losing 2 gifts but you’re saving time.

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Or if you see that everybody is lazily waiting, just choose the 3rd option and reset the presents for everybody. You’re losing 2 gifts but you’re saving time.

I prefer the fourth option. Simply jump up the presents and laugh at every one still waiting there.

Ayrilana.1396

I prefer the fourth option. Simply jump up the presents and laugh at every one still waiting there.

This. Most of the time I can make it up just fine.

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

nahh, its just annoying… and tedious… and buggy with hitboxes, Clocktower still no1.

Sometimes i wish i could dislike stupid comments like this

Why? Because someone complains about bugs you were lucky enough NOT to experience?

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

It was easy for me until my character bugged and had to finish the entire jumping puzzle with my character lying face down on the ground. -_-

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Posted by: Big Tower.5423

Big Tower.5423

Did all 3 versions in first try but it was actually quite great

7800 hours ingame, and counting.

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

It was easy for me until my character bugged and had to finish the entire jumping puzzle with my character lying face down on the ground. -_-

Do an evade…

Leo Paul.1659

Do an evade…

Thanks for the tip.. I didn’t know you can evade inside the JP.

Posted by: Nocturnal.5023

Nocturnal.5023

Yeah, it’s kinda hard to jump with face flat on the ground as you can’t tell exactly which is the standing point of your character.

Made a video showing few of my failed attempts at first before I know how to make my character normal again.

youtube.com/hungryasuras

Leo Paul.1659

Yeah, it’s kinda hard to jump with face flat on the ground as you can’t tell exactly which is the standing point of your character.

Made a video showing few of my failed attempts at first before I know how to make my character normal again.

Wahahahahaahahaha that is hilarious! I’ll take screenies of my character when that happens to me again. LOL gingerbread man indeed. My character is human so she doesn’t look like one but your asura does channel the gingerbread man very well.

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

Yeah, I have hated few things in the game more than the “exploding presents” section. It’s quite tolerable if you manage to time your jump to miss the blue presents (knife-edge though), but it kind of feels like glitching that stage. Which is fair enough, that’s pretty much what it deserves.

Wouldn’t be so bad if the “respawn me here if I misstep” option were infinite. Considering how long it takes to figure that segment out, it really should be.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

Posted by: Chaotic Storm.2815

Chaotic Storm.2815

I find the Wintersday JP to be very relaxing. Almost therapeutic. Especially the snowflake part. You can get into a good jumping rythm and after a while you’re actually making the next jump before the next snowflake even appears.

The Clocktower, was rage-inducing though.

I love them both.

Same here.

#ELEtism