Banners are much too strong

in WvW Desert Borderlands Stress Test

Posted by: Gideon Ravenor.5603

Gideon Ravenor.5603

The turtle banner gives 10 players 5 seconds of damage immunity on a 15 second cooldown, so a10 man group with 3 banners will be (near) permanently immune to damage.

This is just an example of how strong banners can be. In my opinion banners should be no stronger then any current set of weapons or utilities but should simply allow another option/playstyle that may be useful in specific roles (i.e. for the commander).

I would very much like the banners to be toned down significantly but I may be in the minority, comments are appreciated.

Posted by: smhtjoa.7159

smhtjoa.7159

This sounds incredibly over-powered to me. Surely it can’t have been Anet’s intention to allow for players to run around with a (near) permanent immunity to damage?

Why, I’d never need to fight anyone ever again – I’ll just pull out my magic banner… :\

Posted by: strakul.1826

strakul.1826

To be fair, it’s probably not that easy to constantly get 3 turtle banners. You’ll need three separate guilds owning 3 towers/keeps, have banners upgrades ready (I think the guild needs to craft these?), and queue up the tactics at the same time. Remember that they only last 15 minutes so on longer engagements (like taking T3 keeps), they’ll disappear before you are done. (Though, yes a longer cooldown on that damage immunity skill may be needed)

Posted by: Milferd.3780

Milferd.3780

As long as the banners hard to get to and can’t stay up all the time I have no problem with a temporary immune force as long as similar things are available elsewhere.
You just split your zerg and go where the immune force is not in more places.

3 Reverent centaur set ups can produce a continuous missile shield you just have to close to deal with this.

Posted by: nokhs.4278

nokhs.4278

I really liked the idea of the turtle banner. It definitley needs to get balanced though but do not nerf it too hard because this will just cause that no one uses the banner at all and this would be sad.
First of all, the cooldown of the invulnerability has to be increased more than twice as much otherwise it is simply too op.
I don’t remember all of the details of the other spells but spell 2 and 4 don’t need any changes I guess. I can’t say anything about spell 1 and 5, sorry for that. Even though I hope this will help.

I really hope the turtle banner has a future because it offers a useful and interesting tactic.

~nokhs

Posted by: Nevaahe.6308

Nevaahe.6308

Every tower and keep I went to had banners selected as it is a good choice. And as I mentioned in this post, it would be easy for someone to bring banners from other Keeps/Towers and defend a keep or even take one with 4-5 of them.

Posted by: guildabd.6529

guildabd.6529

You can still kill them with conditions, right?

Posted by: Recluce.3709

Recluce.3709

The banners were a REALLY cool idea! A few plusses to them:

-They last a long time! 15 mins
-They dont disappear in the water! (I think I actually kept a few skills for water combat, will all 5 skills have water versions?)
-The skills animations were really nice and the skill effects were even better!
-The banner carrier had a breaker bar, so this was a nice way to help level the playing field.

Cons:
-You can have up to two banners at a keep, and with their relative power, I feel like this is way too OP for defense (as has been stated in other posts, too much benefit to defenders on this map). Make all banners of the same tier, sharing one slot so that you aren’t able to have multiple banners from one guild claimed objective. Just one banner per, so choose wisely!
-I didn’t see an icon showing that I was carrying the banner, and this had no visible timer for how long it would last. I had one despawn in my hands at an unfortunate time. Please make a way for the carrier to know when the 15 mins is up!
-I didn’t get to play the turtle banner, but it seems to be defensive… was there a healing banner? Pretty please?