Gates versus Walls

Gates versus Walls

in WvW Desert Borderlands Stress Test

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

I have a feeling that players are going to be hitting walls more than trying to attack gates. The gate areas feel way too hardened against an attack compared to walls. It’s those auto-turret things right above the gates that might be doing it. Walls have nothing comparable.

Most of the time I was tagged up I only had 5-10 players around. We hardly ever had the supply to deal with sieging an upgraded gate area.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

Gates versus Walls

Posted by: BrickFurious.7169

BrickFurious.7169

Yeah with auto-turrets active, plus cannons and oil that can only be damaged by siege, gates seem nearly impossible to take. It’s not even just the damage of the auto-turrets, it seems like they have a really frequent knockback too. At the air keep, combined with the air turrets there, 10 of us were having trouble sieging it with only a single enemy defending.

Gates versus Walls

Posted by: Infusion.7149

Infusion.7149

Auto Turrets, Hardened Gates, Hardened Siege (mortar+cannon+oil) make it more difficult to take Gates.

Gates are also made invulnerable by “Invulnerable Fortifications”.

The auto turrets hit quite hard, coupled with the time you need to break the fortified gates it becomes much easier to just use a golem , trebuchet, or catapult on a wall.

Desolation (EU) → Yak’s Bend (US)
In your backline: Elementalist+Mesmer+Necromancer

(edited by Infusion.7149)

Gates versus Walls

Posted by: Bettik.4982

Bettik.4982

Yup, auto-turrets, hardened gates and siege mean you need to bring sup rams, golems and charr-cars to the party! Even so, it seems to take ages to get a T3 gate down… We’re probably doing it wrong!

Gates versus Walls

Posted by: Eirian Direstorm.9748

Eirian Direstorm.9748

I agree. I’ve heard arguments that these maps are designed to eliminate zergfests, but you almost have to have one, just to get through a wall or gate.

Gates versus Walls

Posted by: NapTooN.6283

NapTooN.6283

I agree. I’ve heard arguments that these maps are designed to eliminate zergfests, but you almost have to have one, just to get through a wall or gate.

How so? On Paper, you just need the Super Laser (disabled atm afaik) and well placed Siege Equipment to break through. Does not matter if 5 People operate the Siege and a Blob is watching or not. The Walls/Gates don’t melt faster just because a Blob stands nearby doing nothing.

Gates versus Walls

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuvtest/Ten-Ton-Hammer-First-Impressions-Feedback/first#post5312727

Welp, I’m usually not that kind of person, but in this case:

Told ya’ll.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

Gates versus Walls

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

How so? On Paper, you just need the Super Laser (disabled atm afaik) and well placed Siege Equipment to break through. Does not matter if 5 People operate the Siege and a Blob is watching or not. The Walls/Gates don’t melt faster just because a Blob stands nearby doing nothing.

This blobb is not just standing there & doing nothing, it’s able to unload a metric cat-ton of supply, to make the gates melt.
What formerly simply could be done by PvD, will now achieved by ram-spam. But in order to ram-spam (& set up offensive AC’s on the same time) you’ll need the supply-capacity of a blobb. So yea, if anything it encourages blobbing.

Also expect the price of rams / catas / trebs to increase

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

Gates versus Walls

Posted by: NapTooN.6283

NapTooN.6283

This blobb is not just standing there & doing nothing, it’s able to unload a metric cat-ton of supply, to make the gates melt.
What formerly simply could be done by PvD, will now achieved by ram-spam. But in order to ram-spam (& set up offensive AC’s on the same time) you’ll need the supply-capacity of a blobb. So yea, if anything it encourages blobbing.

Also expect the price of rams / catas / trebs to increase

I understand what you mean, but at least the Blob can no longer brainless PvD it’s way into the Structure like atm, they have to use Siege Equipment to get inside. There is a simple way to prevent Ram-Spam:

• Cap the number of possible allied Rams withing a certain Radius to 3.

You need 120 Supply for 3 Rams, that is 12 People without the Rank Upgrade, i would not call that a Blob. You can do the same for other Siege Equipment to prevent Siege-Spam. At least brainless Head against the Door is prevented and that is a first step in the right direction by Arena Net.

By increasing the Price, do you mean Supply or Badge/Gold? If you mean Supply, that would totally encourage Zerging instead of preventing it. Right now you need 3-4 People for a single Ram, if you increase the Price, you need more People which will result in more Blobs running around to be able to place Siege.

Just cap the Number of possible (completed) Siege [to prevent Griefers from throwing Build Sites everywhere] being next to eachother and you will discourage Blobing, because standing by doing nothing and just watching gets boring sooner or later.

Gates versus Walls

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Second day and I see others also choosing walls over gates….

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

Gates versus Walls

Posted by: nokhs.4278

nokhs.4278

I have a feeling that players are going to be hitting walls more than trying to attack gates. The gate areas feel way too hardened against an attack compared to walls.

I can totally agree with that. Attacking walls is much easier at the moment than attacking gates. Not just because enemies got better opportunities to defend the keep by using oil or cannons. You simply need more supplies when they have the buff “gets only damage by sieges” (don’t know the exact description, sorry) and it’s hard to build anything which causes damage while a cannon is aiming at you.

It’s those auto-turret things right above the gates that might be doing it. Walls have nothing comparable.

The turrets above the gates are more likely a problem for smaller groups but it isn’t a bad thing in my opinion. In addition, there are – at least in the lava keep – some kind of figures that throw fireballs at you near an area where we placed catapults. So they are not only at the gates.

-
My conclusion: Gates should get nerfed a little bit and walls slightly buffed.
-
The new objectives and sieges look really good and i am excited to play on that map again.

~nokhs

Gates versus Walls

Posted by: Sviel.7493

Sviel.7493

This makes a lot of sense to me. Anyone building a structure knows that the gates are the weak points…so they’d focus their defense there. You cannot have people roll up to your gate and ram it down while you get bursted by AoE wall spam.

The fact that people are using catas/trebs from distances greater than point blank is amaaaaazing. It’s like an actual siege instead of just shoving that inconvenient wall out of the way so you can get your karma. The best part is it means fighting to save a keep will mean coming out of the keep and fighting instead of sitting inside and flinging spells from on high.