F2P accounts, WvW and API accessibility

in API Development

Posted by: Archomeda.6472

Archomeda.6472

The WvW community of my server uses the API keys to check if someone is from our server before they are allowed in the TS WvW channels.

Now, since F2P accounts have access to the API and can join whatever server they want, they are also able to get API keys that say that they are from our server, while their main account might be on a different server.

This is not ideal for WvW. But it can be solved pretty easily.
One is to disallow the access to the API of F2P players (which is not really ideal). Two is to add an entry to /v2/account that shows if the account is a F2P or B2P account. This way we can check if it’s a bought account.

I think the the latter one is the better option. It would still allow the F2P accounts get access to the API, while still having our TS WvW channels be clear of “possible spies”.

in API Development

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

This is why I asked in https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/community/api/Free-to-Play-Accounts-access-to-API/
!!!!!!

Anet is going to great lengths in locking down F2P accounts to protect the game/economy/etc.. Server communities have a shared interest in protection too. If the API exposed the account type and we could block authorization using that information, it would be one more incentive for the legit user to purchase a full account.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in API Development

Posted by: Lawton Campbell

Lawton Campbell

Web Programmer

Hmm, I’ll look into adding a flag on /v2/account.

I hadn’t considered that at all.

in API Development

Posted by: Psys.5279

Psys.5279

Maybee a Flag called “wvw” is the best one.

It can be 1 for a normal account.
And 0 for a Free 2 Play Account, but automatic set to 1 if one character arrived level 60

in API Development

Posted by: Aerodin.2795

Aerodin.2795

And 0 for a Free 2 Play Account, but automatic set to 1 if one character arrived level 60

Mmm I think having an account-type indicator would make more sense here. Maybe just have a flag to indicate one of 3 types: Free, Core, or HoT. We could then determine for ourselves if the account has access to WvW – Free with a level 60 (or higher) character, or Core/HoT.

Author of GW2 PAO

in API Development

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

Mmm I think having an account-type indicator would make more sense here. Maybe just have a flag to indicate one of 3 types: Free, Core, or HoT. We could then determine for ourselves if the account has access to WvW – Free with a level 60 (or higher) character, or Core/HoT.

This flag could also be used for other things. Say a Raid planner in a guild website would allow people to be warned if they can’t join the raid when they are planning it.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

in API Development

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Awesome! Thanks!

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in API Development

Posted by: Psys.5279

Psys.5279

For the case the player didn’t delete the character.
If the player delete the 60+ character (reason: try another class or something, they have only 2 character slots), the account is activate then for wvw, but you can’t proof it without a flag.
So the player is in wvw, but did not get access for it.
Yeah i know, this is some special case

in API Development

Posted by: Aerodin.2795

Aerodin.2795

For the case the player didn’t delete the character.
If the player delete the 60+ character (reason: try another class or something, they have only 2 character slots), the account is activate then for wvw, but you can’t proof it without a flag.
So the player is in wvw, but did not get access for it.
Yeah i know, this is some special case

Ah, good point. I originally was under the impression that it was on a per-character basis, but the FAQ does show that it unlocks account wide after 1 character reaches 60…

Author of GW2 PAO