HEADS UP: OAuth2 being replaced next week

in API Development

Posted by: Ruhrpottpatriot.7293

Ruhrpottpatriot.7293

Not going for an EVE-style permission system.

Me is sad
Well I guess you have your reasons for doing so. Maybe we will get something down the road.
Still I like the migration to API keys, this makes developing non-web applications so much easier.

And to all the “API-Key-Hater” (for a lack of better wording), you really should look how EVE and CCP do it. It is an awesome system and they have ran with it for years and never had any big problems.

Administrator of GW2.NET: GitHub , Forum , NuGet

in API Development

Posted by: darthmaim.6017

darthmaim.6017

And to all the “API-Key-Hater” (for a lack of better wording), you really should look how EVE and CCP do it. It is an awesome system and they have ran with it for years and never had any big problems.

EVE is using OAuth: https://developers.eveonline.com/resource/single-sign-on

in API Development

Posted by: smiley.1438

smiley.1438

XML API

…well, nobody’s perfect (glad they also offer JSON). However, as already pointed out, it also uses OAuth – for some good reasons, i guess. Hey, they even offer “Login with EVE Online” buttons on the bottom of that page!

in API Development

Posted by: ImDevinC.7435

ImDevinC.7435

While I see this as a good change, my biggest issue with this is that the account management website is not built for mobile display. Both the login and the API key page. This means that if we want users to create/copy their API keys on a mobile device, they have to try and find the right touch points and copy text from a very hard to touch text area. Are there plans to make this experience more user friendly?
I’ve attached two screenshots from my phone to show examples.

Attachments:

in API Development

Posted by: fro.8967

fro.8967

Yeah it is unfortunate that the GW2 website is not responsive.

in API Development

Posted by: Slyfer.6478

Slyfer.6478

I haven’t decided whether or not it’s something we should fix, since having a fixed permission set seems like it would be more straightforward for application developers (e.g., if you’ve got a key, it’ll continue working until it’s entirely revoked).

On the flip side, I can see two things happening:
1) New APIs with new scopes keep getting generated
2) Fan site keeps expanding what it can do for a user over time, needing new scopes.

Having to keep re-issuing a key could get onerous. Also, well designed sites are going to have to (somewhat) gracefully handle being given an API with inadequate scoping when it’s first recieved anyways. I don’t see it as that large of a stretch to deal with it again down the road.

I think the third-party will already have to use scope-filtering regardless. So any time a request is made, the third-party app should already make sure the key has the necessary permission, if not handle the exception. So i don’t personally see why you can’t edit the keys. If you check key validity only upon linking, i think that’s a poor practice and you’ll eventually have to handle the exception of key being revoked during a request to API (in which case why not already handle the exception of inadequate permission upon request). If there’s a flaw in my logic or this somehow complicates the coding side / user experience feel free to point it out.

(edited by Slyfer.6478)

in API Development

Posted by: Lawton Campbell

Previous

Lawton Campbell

Web Programmer

Next

So i don’t personally see why you can’t edit the keys

The current implementation for API keys internally use OAuth2 refresh tokens — the difference is that the account site is the OAuth2 client. Since the OAuth2 backend prohibits an OAuth2 token from adding new scopes, it’s just something we have to live with for the time being (though technically, we can add the ability to remove scopes, but that seems silly).

in API Development

Posted by: chaly.7638

chaly.7638

Since the ‘big boom’ yesterday, we get this error for some of our API Keys:
{"text":"ErrBadData"}

We were not able to reproduce this issue.
Lawton, is send you a PM with an API Key having this problem (hopefully it won’t be deleted by the user).

in API Development

Posted by: I Am Dansker.7105

I Am Dansker.7105

Can confirm, not a single one of my old or newly generated keys work no matter the permissions

Far Shiverpeaks

in API Development

I Am Dansker.7105

Just tried generating an access token using OAuth2, same result

Far Shiverpeaks

in API Development

Posted by: chaly.7638

chaly.7638

Update:

We were not able to force this issue, but we were now able to reproduce it by generating another API Key for the same GW2 account.

Even this seems to be random.

in API Development

Previous

Lawton Campbell

Web Programmer

Next

Whoops, thanks for the heads up; I’ve pinged the appropriate people.

Keys will work for any account that hasn’t logged in since the hotfix this morning, I think. Anyone who’s logged in since then will be inaccessible until we redeploy a server that got missed.

in API Development

Posted by: Pilot.6094

Pilot.6094

One super minor change I’d like to suggest…BTW I appreciate the streamlining of the New API Key form, removal of the description field, but the text on the page is out of date.

FROM…
Set a name, description, and set of permissions for this key. The name and description fields are for your use. The permissions set which features you’d like this key to grant, and they cannot be modified after key creation.

TO…(something like this)

Create a name and set permissions for this key. The name field is for your use. The permissions control which features you’d like this key to grant, and they cannot be modified after key creation.

in API Development

Previous

Lawton Campbell

Web Programmer

Next

Oh wow, yeah, totally overlooked that.

That’s gonna take a couple of days to update since the strings need to be localized, but it’ll land eventually. Thanks for pointing that out!

in API Development

Posted by: Pat Cavit.9234

Previous

Pat Cavit.9234

Web Programming Lead

Next

This is done, OAuth2.0 has been disabled in favor of API keys.

in API Development

Pilot.6094

Anyone else seeing timeout on this API endpoint currently?

https://api.guildwars2.com/v2/account

I’m getting this back…
{"text":"ErrTimeout"}

in API Development

Pilot.6094

API is working now!

in API Development

Posted by: Kaz.5430

Kaz.5430

Essentially, this current system is basically no different from asking the user to create a secondary password (hoping they will make more than one, but not forcing it), and therefore suffers from all the same issues as normal password security.

Would it not be possible to make application developers register a specific key for each app? That would at least avoid some of the security implications of ‘shared’ api keys, and would also give ANet a better way of getting in touch with app developers.

The user would be provided with the app key from the application, and then needs to log in to the GW2 account page and paste the key provided by the app into the GW2 account site. From the point of view of user flow, it’s identical to the current system, but would be slightly more secure, and less prone to user error.

i.e.

I go to register for an app, provide my email and instead of being asked to go and generate a specific key, I instead get provided with a key from the app. The key might be along the lines of

{APPKEY}-{APPSCOPES}-{USEREMAIL}
GH78bgt7KK-001-user@domain.com

You’d still require the user to validate using the GW2 account website before anything works, but you’d also have a unique key for each user-app-scope combo that can be revoked by the user, and the authorisation flow from the user would be less complex and less prone to users creating unforeseen security complication for themselves by reusing keys over and over again.

You could even add a further layer of security by considering that key to be the public key, and requiring the app to use a private key to authenticate the user. The private key would be created when the user adds the key to the account site, and instead of requiring the user to copy and paste, gets sent to a listener url that the developer provided when requesting the app key.

Monarchy - 15 year old browser-based game and roleplay community
Table Warfare Miniatures - Armatures, Custom Miniatures, Moulds etc.

(edited by Kaz.5430)

in API Development

Posted by: MentalFS.2589

MentalFS.2589

Would it not be possible to make application developers register a specific key for each app? That would at least avoid some of the security implications of ‘shared’ api keys, and would also give ANet a better way of getting in touch with app developers.

[Basically a description of how OAuth works without the automation]

I don’t think it would be a good idea to try and reinvent OAuth just to be different. It should either be simple or OAuth. The devs also already said that they won’t be doing that when people asked for links to create a key with specific permissions.

Let the bards sing and the skaalds proclaim her glorious name forever[…]: Apatia!

in API Development

Previous

Lawton Campbell

Web Programmer

Next

The user would be provided with the app key from the application, and then needs to log in to the GW2 account page and paste the key provided by the app into the GW2 account site. From the point of view of user flow, it’s identical to the current system, but would be slightly more secure, and less prone to user error.

This will be feasible once the /v2/tokeninfo comes out (hopefully today if nothing else lights itself on fire) — you can give the user a unique string to put in the token’s “name” field, then validate that the key is the one you requested.

It’s not entirely foolproof, but I think it’s probably as close as we’ll be able to get

in API Development

Posted by: Strategist.6132

Strategist.6132

Wow great work here! I haven’t been here for a little while, but I see some ultra cool API’s coming out!

in API Development

Posted by: Edwin.1260

Edwin.1260

You’re right, Google, Facebook, Twitter, Spotify and many other leaders are totally wrong using OAuth 2.0.

I’m trolling.

I just can’t believe what I’m reading.

in API Development

Posted by: darthmaim.6017

darthmaim.6017

Now that we have been using API keys for quite some time now, I have to say its not nearly as bad as most people in this thread (including me) anticipated.

OAuth 2.0 has definitely some advantages (easier to create and manage for users), but creating API keys isn’t too bad. And once they are created, API keys are way easier to work with from a developer standpoint, no refresh tokens, callbacks, …, just storing the API key for each user and sending it with each request.

in API Development

I Am Dansker.7105

There is still the major issue of authenticity which with the API key system is horrible as it is right now and it seems the dev aren’t really interested in making it easier for the moment being

If you do not care about authenticity , then it isn’t that bad, if you do care about it, then it is much worse

This simple 10 min fix would make it so much easier for the user https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/community/api/API-Creation-Page-Input-Insertion but still a worse overall

Far Shiverpeaks

(edited by I Am Dansker.7105)

in API Development

Posted by: Pat Cavit.9234

Previous

Pat Cavit.9234

Web Programming Lead

The decision on those sorts of questions is out of our hands, and the decision on that is no.

Sorry, we’ll do the best we can within the constraints we’re under.