JS json.parse "null" values

in API Development

Posted by: Elfo Bianco.3786

Elfo Bianco.3786

Hello guys,
I have already used the GW2 api with C#.NET with good results, but now I’m trying to use them client side with Javascript. I get json data and I parse it with the following line code var jParsed = JSON.parse(jData);
With a full json list of objects everything goes good, but when there are null objects/values with .NET I can make a For loop to check if an object is null or not, while in Javascript even “null” objects seem to be “not null”.
I’m testing JS with API:2/account/bank so there are some bank’s slots that could be null (empty slot in game).

json data block example (API:2/account/bank):
[{"id":67777,“count”: 151,“binding”:"Account"},
{"id":44640,“count”: 52,“binding”:"Account"},
{"id":44640,“count” :250,“binding”:"Account"},
{"id":45001,“count”: 23,“binding”:"Account"},
null,
{"id":68109,“count”: 107,“binding”:"Account"},
{"id":43766,“count”: 250,“binding”:"Account"}]

Now I need to read json data of the items in the bank, and before it I check if a bank’s slot is empty or not. In Javascript I check if an object is null or not.

javascript check code:
for (var i = 0; i < jParsed.length; i++) {
if (jParsed[i] !== null) {
//listIds.push(jBank[it].id);
}
}

The code above seems to work but the “if” condition returns True even for the fifth object that should be null. I have noticed it because from the console of Chrome I get “Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property ‘id’ of null”.

Does someone have any tips to skip null objects?
I’m using javascript for the first time and I didn’t understand why I couldn’t check with simply “if (jParsed[i] != null)” instead of “if (jParsed[i] !== null)”, but anyway I hope in some help

in API Development

Posted by: Anhim.3156

Anhim.3156

I don’t know if this is “proper” or “pretty”, but couldn’t you just use
if(jParsed[i]){

}

in API Development

Elfo Bianco.3786

I don’t know if this is “proper” or “pretty”, but couldn’t you just use
if(jParsed[i]){

}

I have tested it too, but it returns True even for “null” objects. Really I don’t understand why.

Actually I have done a new JS code block:
for (var i = 0; i < jParsed.length; i++) {
var temp = JSON.stringify(jParsed[i]);
if (jParsed[i] != “null”) {
//listIds.push(jBank[it].id);
}
}

The last solution works but I hope that could be an easier/faster way to check an object directly without stringify it again..

in API Development

Posted by: Anhim.3156

Anhim.3156

The only thing that comes to mind then is that your initial “null” is not the null object. Is it perhaps already a string, or some other form?

in API Development

Elfo Bianco.3786

The only thing that comes to mind then is that your initial “null” is not the null object. Is it perhaps already a string, or some other form?

No it was an object. Now (after a PC crash) all works with “if (jParsed[i] != null)”, maybe something went wrong with visual studio debug -_-

in API Development

Posted by: potatofarms.9241

potatofarms.9241

I’m assuming it must have been something wrong with the visual studio debug. Your code should (and does) work.

Here’s a JS fiddle: https://jsfiddle.net/eq8wb3t0/2/

(edited by potatofarms.9241)

in API Development

Elfo Bianco.3786

I’m assuming it must have been something wrong with the visual studio debug. Your code should (and does) work.

Here’s a JS fiddle: https://jsfiddle.net/eq8wb3t0/2/

Yes it was visual studio. It was hard to imagine that visual studio debug could be bugged

Thank you for your help guys