Launching /v2/account (w/ Authentication)

in API Development

Posted by: Pat Cavit.9234

Previous

Pat Cavit.9234

Web Programming Lead

Next

Our OAuth2 implementation avoids a lot of the bad parts of OAuth2 by simply not supporting them, but it was determined that due to the real monetary value of accounts ArenaNet isn’t comfortable with the core phishing problems that affect any system like OAuth.

Auth is still a possible, in that you can still verify that a user has a valid GW2 account by having them create an API key and enter it. It’s just significantly more annoying. A password manager that can autofill would be the best user experience possible in this new authentication scheme.

in API Development

Posted by: Nabrok.9023

Nabrok.9023

When will API keys become active?

When will OAuth2 become inactive?

Will there be an overlap for a transitional period? (please don’t shut off OAuth2 before API keys are ready)

Will /v2/account still return the same information, but with the API key added as a parameter instead of using OAuth2?

Is there anything preventing somebody sharing a key and allowing people not them to use it?

“I’m not a PvE, WvW, or PvP player – I am a Guild Wars 2 player”
Tarnished Coast – Dissentient [DIS]
All classes

(edited by Nabrok.9023)

in API Development

Posted by: Lawton Campbell

Previous

Lawton Campbell

Web Programmer

Next

When will API keys become active?

When will OAuth2 become inactive?

Will there be an overlap for a transitional period? (please don’t shut off OAuth2 before API keys are ready)

I don’t have dates yet, there’s still some moving parts that need to come into place. I’m shooting for a week heads-up once I have a date.

Will /v2/account still return the same information, but with the API key added as a parameter instead of using OAuth2?

Yeah, the API key is passed in the same manner as the OAuth2 access tokens (via the Authorization header).

Anyway, we’ll have more details and make a separate posting when there are more details to provide :<

in API Development

Posted by: Remfin.4892

Remfin.4892

I’m not looking to change anyone’s mind (I understand exactly the phishing concern), but API keys don’t do anything remotely like “auth”; they do nothing to let you verify a user on a repeat visit.

Now I need to be Yet Another Website With A Username And Password (And I Need To Store Them Securely, Oh And It Needs To Be Able To Send Emails Too)

First time visit is no longer a hybrid sign-in/sign-up link, but “no entry allowed; create and verify an account before preceding.”

Like I said, not trying to change your mind, but that is why I asked the questions about auth, and that’s why the new thing won’t substitute for that.

in API Development

Previous

Lawton Campbell

Web Programmer

Next

Like I said, not trying to change your mind, but that is why I asked the questions about auth, and that’s why the new thing won’t substitute for that.

Yep, in my mind, that use-case is pretty much out the window.

in API Development

Posted by: Sich.7103

Sich.7103

Hum, I was thinking about making something to check the user on my forum and TS if they are from the good server…. But if all will change soon there is no reason to begin programming something…..
What will do this new api system ? No release date of course…

in API Development

Posted by: Nabrok.9023

Nabrok.9023

I’m not looking to change anyone’s mind (I understand exactly the phishing concern), but API keys don’t do anything remotely like “auth”; they do nothing to let you verify a user on a repeat visit.

Now I need to be Yet Another Website With A Username And Password (And I Need To Store Them Securely, Oh And It Needs To Be Able To Send Emails Too)

First time visit is no longer a hybrid sign-in/sign-up link, but “no entry allowed; create and verify an account before preceding.”

Yes, this occurred to me also. Isn’t the main source of compromised accounts from people using the same credentials on 3rd party sites such as forums?

Even if I do store the passwords securely (which I will of course), I am not going to be purchasing an SSL certificate.

“I’m not a PvE, WvW, or PvP player – I am a Guild Wars 2 player”
Tarnished Coast – Dissentient [DIS]
All classes

in API Development

Posted by: werdernator.6105

werdernator.6105

Very sad, i liked the oauth system.

will there still be a way to access something like those oauth offline-tokens? that is essential for my plans.
if not, that would be even sadder

Github | Werdes

in API Development

Posted by: Teranas.6150

Teranas.6150

Even if I do store the passwords securely (which I will of course), I am not going to be purchasing an SSL certificate.

You don’t have to purchase a certificate. There are free providers like StartSSL that should fit most basic use cases.

However. The whole situation is a really bad compromise.

in API Development

Previous

Pat Cavit.9234

Web Programming Lead

Next

will there still be a way to access something like those oauth offline-tokens? that is essential for my plans.

Yes, API keys do not expire unless the user revokes them.

in API Development

Posted by: werdernator.6105

werdernator.6105

Yes, API keys do not expire unless the user revokes them.

very nice, that’s what i wanted to hear.

Github | Werdes

in API Development

Posted by: TacoSundae.9036

TacoSundae.9036

Is there at least a roughish time frame for moving away from OAuth? Months? Weeks? Even the roughest time frame will help me decide if I should implement this temporarily with OAuth, or if I should just hold off until the new method is ready.

in API Development

Previous

Lawton Campbell

Web Programmer

Next

Is there at least a roughish time frame for moving away from OAuth? Months? Weeks? Even the roughest time frame will help me decide if I should implement this temporarily with OAuth, or if I should just hold off until the new method is ready.

Probably within weeks. I’m still working on a migration strategy, but I’m hoping to post the full details of the new system and the transition late this week or early next week.

in API Development

Posted by: evilandy.7486

evilandy.7486

I got the OAuth stuff working, but then read to the end of this thread and realized that it’s changing. I’m hoping that once it stabilizes, more account attributes would be available via the authenticated API? Things such as characters and their attributes perhaps?

in API Development

Previous

Lawton Campbell

Web Programmer

Next

I’m hoping that once it stabilizes, more account attributes would be available via the authenticated API? Things such as characters and their attributes perhaps?

Yeah, we’ll be releasing new authenticated endpoints once the changeover happens. On the docket are trading post data, character details, account bank and material storage, as well as some other things.

Not gonna land all at once, but that’s more-or-less what’s currently in the works.

in API Development

Posted by: AfterXII.2761

AfterXII.2761

I’m hoping that once it stabilizes, more account attributes would be available via the authenticated API? Things such as characters and their attributes perhaps?

Yeah, we’ll be releasing new authenticated endpoints once the changeover happens. On the docket are trading post data, character details, account bank and material storage, as well as some other things.

Not gonna land all at once, but that’s more-or-less what’s currently in the works.

I can’t wait! I’ve got so many new tool ideas haha

http://gw2shinies.com/ – A Guild Wars 2 Trading Post Service
http://gw2tno.com/ – The Nameless Ones [TNO]

in API Development

Posted by: spaeda.8419

spaeda.8419

It will be possible to retrieve last connection/disconnection of an account ?
This data will be usefull. With tradingpost endpoint and this, we can deduce golds and items awaiting recovery.

in API Development

Previous

Lawton Campbell

Web Programmer

Next

It will be possible to retrieve last connection/disconnection of an account ?
This data will be usefull. With tradingpost endpoint and this, we can deduce golds and items awaiting recovery.

I didn’t plan to expose that data, but it’s been requested often enough that I probably will at some point.

For your use-case it may be more fruitful to just expose the items/coin waiting for pickup though :P

in API Development

Posted by: JoluMarti.9165

JoluMarti.9165

Can we have an array of permissions?
{…
permissions: [“characters”,“transactions”],
…}

https://www.gw2bltc.com/ <-Trading Post, Database and Dye Matcher

in API Development

Posted by: darthmaim.6017

darthmaim.6017

Can we have an array of permissions?

I just created a new Proposal to add a new /v2/permissions endpoint.

in API Development

Previous

Pat Cavit.9234

Web Programming Lead

OAuth2 is now disabled.

For authenticated access to APIs please see the API Key Announcement Thread