Megaservers and API

Megaservers and API

in API Development

Posted by: Teranas.6150

Teranas.6150

Hi there,

i’m working on a few API projects using the Guild Wars 2 Event API. The blogpost didn’t told anything about the api. Based on several posts here on the forum, there seems to be a very slow development of your API. So what will happen on april 15? Will you drop API support for events? The current api syntax will not allow such a change.

Greetings,
Teranas

Megaservers and API

in API Development

Posted by: chephan.8527

chephan.8527

According to this interview the api is “rendered useless” but Anet is working on things to make it useful again.

http://nerdybookahs.wordpress.com/2014/03/24/foostival-2014-interview-with-ramon/

I’m worried about this too since I was about too launch a boss timer / event viewer page.

Megaservers and API

in API Development

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

This isn’t good for developers.

What happens to the api!! Can we get oauth with the new megaserver api?

Ranger | Elementalist

Megaservers and API

in API Development

Posted by: Aerodin.2795

Aerodin.2795

Just raising my hand on this as well… I’m working on an events-related tool myself, and if this renders it useless, it’d be great to know about it ahead of time.

Author of GW2 PAO

Megaservers and API

in API Development

Posted by: Eowin Of Rohan.2619

Eowin Of Rohan.2619

Same here.
Launched www.gw2events.me nearly 1 year ago when the API came out, and I have a lot of TODO improvements which I couldn’t work on for a while.
I intended to implement most of them during my next vacation but I guess I’ll have to put them on hold until we see what comes out of new APIs, and probably cancel them once Anet confirms that my whole site becomes useless

Megaservers and API

in API Development

Posted by: Alcarin.9024

Alcarin.9024

Megaservers and API

in API Development

Teranas.6150

So i’m going to stop my current project and work on a static version with those synchron time points.

Current API (except WvW) is nearly useless from now on … whatever, i hope they will update the API and introduce the OAuth API soon.

Megaservers and API

in API Development

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

The current API could still work. All they need to do is replace the server ID with the instance ID in both the API and memory link, and optionally display it in-game somewhere.

Megaservers and API

in API Development

Posted by: chephan.8527

chephan.8527

The current API could still work. All they need to do is replace the server ID with the instance ID in both the API and memory link, and optionally display it in-game somewhere.

I already had a similar thought regarding overflows instances. The only thing we need is some kind of display ingame where the user can see the shard (s)he’s on and this information must be available e.g. via the world_names.json part.

Also, as far as I understood: The worlds won’t just go away. If it is just some kind of forced guesting you just need to figure out what wolrd you’re on.

Megaservers and API

in API Development

Posted by: Dr Ishmael.9685

Dr Ishmael.9685

Also, as far as I understood: The worlds won’t just go away. If it is just some kind of forced guesting you just need to figure out what wolrd you’re on.

The world-map linkage is going away – maps are no longer linked to any specific world. The world_names.json endpoint will only be meaningful for WvW after this.

Megaservers and API

in API Development

Posted by: AysonCurrax.3254

AysonCurrax.3254

The only way they could somehow make this work would me with the OAuth2 Service which is supposed to come with v2, so, technically, instead of checking events by world_id/map_id you could then check what world or map character x is on. But, now that i just thought about that again, that wont quite work either because you wont stay on the same world on all maps… so yeah, guess thats it for the event api. meh.

its kinda sad and annoying considering what i was currently working on doing with it.
No more purpose for the map rendering anymore either it seems. atleast not in relation to events.

(edited by AysonCurrax.3254)

Megaservers and API

in API Development

Posted by: albus.4273

albus.4273

April 15th will be an interesting day nonetheless. I hope that only minor changes need be added to "fix" our apps that use the events API.

Megaservers and API

in API Development

Healix.5819

During the ready up stream, Colin touched on everything being random (gathering nodes specifically) due to megaservers, and how their original intention was for it to be like this to reward explorers. Every time you enter a zone, it’s supposed to be different and something to explore. If you assume this is the truth and not marketing to make a loss look better, the idea of having a real time event API makes no sense.

Megaservers and API

in API Development

Posted by: AysonCurrax.3254

AysonCurrax.3254

During the ready up stream, Colin touched on everything being random (gathering nodes specifically) due to megaservers, and how their original intention was for it to be like this to reward explorers. Every time you enter a zone, it’s supposed to be different and something to explore. If you assume this is the truth and not marketing to make a loss look better, the idea of having a real time event API makes no sense.

rewarding to explorers, a hazzle to everyone else, i guess. I just find it disappointing that they first give us the API to create so many websites and apps with, and now they pretty much break most of those or render them useless entirely. Its a bit of a slap to the face if you consider how many hours went into developing those. The lack of information about what exactly is going to happen with the api makes it seem even more ungrateful, in a way.

Megaservers and API

in API Development

Posted by: das Keks.5403

das Keks.5403

Well at least I am not the only one with that problem.

I’m currently doing the last fine tunings on my own GW2 Boss Timer app which improves a few things I didn’t like in current apps. I think I still can make it useful but the major part of my work will be obsolete.

Megaservers and API

in API Development

Posted by: Stefan Larimore.6872

Stefan Larimore.6872

Programmer

Hi All,

As some people have noted, the current /events.json API is not compatible with the upcoming Megaserver technology. As such, the events API will be phasing out in its current form as maps get migrated over to megaservers.

For now, instead of the events API please follow the guidance described here: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-megaserver-system-world-bosses-and-events/

We will consider implementing a timer API based on this schedule for the future.

Megaservers and API

in API Development

Teranas.6150

Hi All,

As some people have noted, the current /events.json API is not compatible with the upcoming Megaserver technology. As such, the events API will be phasing out in its current form as maps get migrated over to megaservers.

For now, instead of the events API please follow the guidance described here: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-megaserver-system-world-bosses-and-events/

We will consider implementing a timer API based on this schedule for the future.

That’s a really interesting news. Sounds good to me.

Megaservers and API

in API Development

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Will the API continue to function for temples and other non-Megasever events? If not, how would it be possible to tell which Temples are up?

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Megaservers and API

in API Development

Posted by: werdernator.6105

werdernator.6105

With the OAuth2-System, will we be able to identify the current map-instance? would be pretty cool. That may be a way to make the api useful again (replacing the world-id in the API-Call with somethink like an Megaserver_Instance_UUID)

Github | Werdes

(edited by werdernator.6105)

Megaservers and API

in API Development

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

This thread answers the question: yes, they are absolutely going to go ahead with megaservers, and nothing we say will stop them.

Megaservers and API

in API Development

Dr Ishmael.9685

This thread answers the question: yes, they are absolutely going to go ahead with megaservers, and nothing we say will stop them.

Uh… why would you have ever thought differently? o_O

Megaservers and API

in API Development

Posted by: UncleSniper.4086

UncleSniper.4086

Soooo, you’re only stating what happens to the “big” events (world bosses, temples and whatnot), namely a fixed schedule. But what happens to “normal” events? On a bunch of maps, there is the practice of running down champions and it is nice to see which champs are currently up, e.g.: http://api.unclesniper.org/gw2/events/status/ros/queensdale-train.xml
Are you really going to drop that entirely? That would be really sad, especially since, as has been mentioned before, it would (in theory) still be possible to expose all event status — only by instance ID rather than map ID. Any chance we will get this functionality back at some point?

Megaservers and API

in API Development

Dr Ishmael.9685

it would (in theory) still be possible to expose all event status — only by instance ID rather than map ID.

The only way that will be useful is if they also make it possible to find out which instance_id your character is currently in. And that won’t be possible, if they do it at all, until after OAuth2 is implemented. So don’t expect it anytime soon.

Megaservers and API

in API Development

Healix.5819

I don’t think they would want to reveal instance IDs, because they could be used to determine how many people are actually playing the game. It would be quite an accurate estimate if you had enough people.

If they wanted to, they could just put instance IDs in the mumble link data.

Megaservers and API

in API Development

Posted by: smiley.1438

smiley.1438

because they could be used to determine how many people are actually playing the game.

I wonder why this is such a secret anyway…

Megaservers and API

in API Development

Posted by: Killer Rhino.6794

Killer Rhino.6794

And that won’t be possible, if they do it at all, until after OAuth2 is implemented. So don’t expect it anytime soon.

From the blog post:

As mentioned in the original blog about the megaserver system, on April 15 we’ll start by rolling out this technology to level 1–15 maps, the PvP lobby, and major cities. Later in 2014, we’ll expand this system to the entire game.

I predict “Later in 2014” is when we’ll see OAuth2 APIs, and that after April 15th, the v1 APIs will be in a state of half-broken limbo.

Alternatively, if OAuth2 came next week, it would only be relevant to a very small portion of the game, but well all could begin adding it to our code in anticipation.

shrug

Creator of GW2Kit

(edited by Killer Rhino.6794)

Megaservers and API

in API Development

Posted by: Eowin Of Rohan.2619

Eowin Of Rohan.2619

An API using the megaservers system would be relevant to more than a small portion of the game. We already have 12/26 maps in Megaserver system according to the official post.
There may be more : for example Malchor’s Leap isn’t fed by current API since last patch even if it’s not in the official list. Is Malchor using a MegaServer ?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/236yca/list_of_megaserver_maps/
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/Megaserver-Rollout-Update/first#post3909472