Probably Off-Topic: Login & Localization-Bug

in API Development

Posted by: Tiscan.8345

Tiscan.8345

I guess this is pretty much off-topic but as Lawton is “the web guy” he probably has some details on this (if not: Sorry! And feel free to move this topic to the bug-board).

I think ANet somehow messed up the localization on the webservers.

Lately the launcher is acting very strange. I’m playing GW2 with the text-language set to german and audio-language set to english. Because of this, the login-form should be german but lately something strange is happening. When i start the launcher, the english form is displayed for a few seconds (2-3s) and then it gets swapped for the german form. Funny thing is: if i enter my username+password before the form is swapped out, instead of displaying the 2-factor form, it still just displays the german form and i have to enter my login-data again.

Pretty much since this is happening, I’m also getting a lot of errors after submitting my username+password that the login-servers could not be reached.

I talked to a few people and they are experiencing exactly the same problems.

So I’m wondering if ANet has changed the way the webservers handle the localized forms and messed something up while doing so…

Edit: I added some screenshots which show that the Launcher is using german in the beginning, then switching to englisch and then switching to german again.

Attachments:

(edited by Tiscan.8345)

in API Development

Posted by: Lawton Campbell

Lawton Campbell

Web Programmer

Next

So, the launcher is implemented with web tech (it’s using Coherent UI under the covers) — but it’s loading HTML/CSS/Javascript from the .dat file rather than fetching it over the network (with the exception of the newsfeed which pull RSS down).

I’m thinking that maybe some bits on the native side might have changed in a subtle way — the language is stored in the local preferences (in gw2local.dat) which the web bits can’t read directly. Guessing that the ordering changed a bit or something else wonky happened since AFAIK we haven’t made any UI changes. I’ll ask around.

in API Development

Tiscan.8345

Thanks a lot! I’ll see if deleting local.dat and the caches changes anything. In the past this helped with some Coherent UI-stuff.

in API Development

Posted by: Tshakaar.6429

Tshakaar.6429

While you’re at it Lawton, if you can confirm if it is or not in relation with: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/63d0nw/log_in_problems_when_using_shortcuts/

Thank you!

in API Development

Tiscan.8345

Small Update: I tried some things to see if I could fix the delay (run defrag on the drive where GW2 is installed, deleted the local.dat, etc.) but nothing changed.

in API Development

Posted by: Lawton Campbell

Previous

Lawton Campbell

Web Programmer

While you’re at it Lawton, if you can confirm if it is or not in relation with: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/63d0nw/log_in_problems_when_using_shortcuts/

I honestly have no idea. The UI layer doesn’t have any responsibility whatsoever. I tried repro’ing it locally (assuming they’re using ‘-email xyz -password xyz -nopatchui’) with the live client but couldn’t get it to crash.

It’ll definitely crash when there’s an unfetched patch since ‘-nopatchui’ skips part of the patching process, but it’s been that way for years.

in API Development

Tshakaar.6429

Oh, it’s not a crash. The window just stay empty and you have to ALT+F4 to try and relaunch.
As this problem appeared approx. at the same time the other one pointed by OP, i wonder if they are linked.

My usual arguments are: -email x@y.z -password pw -nopatchui -shareArchive -32 -clientport:80 -maploadinfo

It happens quite randomly, but every time i tested without -shareArchive, it worked flawlessly.
EDIT: finally, i had one empty window case with only “-email -password -nopatchui”

(edited by Tshakaar.6429)

in API Development

Posted by: Aemy.5360

Aemy.5360

same here for me and friends.
clic shortcut > launcher english > 3s later launcher french Oo

in API Development

Tshakaar.6429

I forgot to come back here…
So, the 2 problems were, it seems, unrelated.
And the one I described is fixed since the day someone pointed an auth server was done, and an official (don’t remember who) said it was a long time, everything should be ok etc. but since that moment, never had the white/black screen anymore.
Case closed.

in API Development

Tiscan.8345

Btw. the issue that the login-form is english for a few seconds before switching to the localized version is still a thing.

in API Development

Tiscan.8345

Btw. the issue that the login-form is english for a few seconds before switching to the localized version is still a thing.

Just for the record: the PoF launcher has fixed that bug.