The Overwolf Guild Wars 2 App Challenge is on!

in API Development

Posted by: Stephane Lo Presti

Stephane Lo Presti

Content Marketing Manager, French

Next

Hi API developers!

I wanted to share with you an exciting news that may interest you: we just launched the Overwolf Guild Wars 2 App Challenge. You can read all about this on the App Challenge page here: http://bit.ly/1MAayy8

This thread is also the opportunity for you to ask us questions about the contest, exchange ideas, tips and tricks. You can suggest app ideas on this page: http://feedback.overwolf.com/forums/283727-guild-wars-2-challenge-ideas

We hope you’ll consider participating and, if you do, wish you luck

in API Development

Posted by: spayced.2016

spayced.2016

I’m kind of confused. I read the API calls available, and it doesn’t seem like there is any way to get information about the local instance of the game or the user that is running the [overwolf] app. Which would seem important to have, being a HUD-based program.

For example, for the WvW apps one can gather the map info and graphics, but there is no way to know which map the user is at. They have to select it manually.

Am I misunderstanding this limitation?

Paper is fine. Nerf rock.

in API Development

Posted by: Remfin.4892

Remfin.4892

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mumble

I assume someone already had a plugin floating around for Overwolf from last time

in API Development

Posted by: docMed.7692

docMed.7692

Stephanie, like Spayced I just heard about Overwolf today from this announcement and thought to myself "oh wow, this sounds fun and perhaps Overwolf will give us some type of access to useful in-game information that we can in-turn build a responsive app from", but found to my disappointment that Overwolf is essentially a glorified overlay tool. The only information it is able to pull from the actual client is essentially ’window’ information (i.e. height, width, is it min/maxed, running, etc). Other than just being a tool that can allow one to easily overlay any type of web development, I’m just not sure what the use is here. I’d love to be able to get some more robust, read-only information like "name of player currently selected", or "weapons currently equipped" etc, which would allow us developers to take that information and use resources like the GW2 API to query against and provide some cool responses/useful information to the client side user to. Am I missing something with Overwolf?

in API Development

Posted by: spayced.2016

spayced.2016

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mumble

I assume someone already had a plugin floating around for Overwolf from last time

Okay those folks couldn’t quite get the current WvW map.

The world_id seems to be broken in WvW as well.

Right. I forgot that the world_id was always broken in WvW, so this value is basically useless now in all cases.

Aww that sucks, hope they fix it so I can find the world automatically from my Overwolf app.

But it does seem to reliably provide some good information, like character class and name.

I found a different method on pulling current in-game info:
http://www.gw2hud.com/

Apparently the game provides detailed information for high-end keyboards, and if you write software which pretends to be one, you can tap into it. I’ll need to do more research to see if it is compatible with the whole overwolf concept.

Paper is fine. Nerf rock.

in API Development

Posted by: AndRec.3496

AndRec.3496

Im happy to see you start such an awesome initiative, but could we, for the mac client, have something for us too? at least push over wolf team to build a compatible app? Or more important , some of the featured apps for over wolf should and can be implemented directly on the gw2 client , i fear that the second of nice feature like boss timer are available from over wolf , we poor users of the mac (beta) client will never see it implemented in to the game for us too.
in the end , I’m positive on this kind of initiative , but really hope that some of the basic feature could be implemented for all the player base and not just half of it, I’m i wrong?
sorry if bothered someone , not in my intention :P

in API Development

Previous

Stephane Lo Presti

Next

I’d love to be able to get some more robust, read-only information like “name of player currently selected”, or “weapons currently equipped” etc, which would allow us developers to take that information and use resources like the GW2 API to query against and provide some cool responses/useful information to the client side user to. Am I missing something with Overwolf?

Hi docMed, Stéphane (not Stéphanie here! Overwolf is offering you an SDK to develop things on top of Guild Wars 2, while the Guild Wars 2 API will offer you mean to create content that’s relevant to the game. Some of the information you mention maybe something that’s more relevant to the newly-released Authenticated APIs ? Take a look at previous contests and Overwolf GW2 apps for ideas about how some developers have made this work (note that not all apps use the GW2 API).

Im happy to see you start such an awesome initiative, but could we, for the mac client, have something for us too? at least push over wolf team to build a compatible app? Or more important , some of the featured apps for over wolf should and can be implemented directly on the gw2 client , i fear that the second of nice feature like boss timer are available from over wolf , we poor users of the mac (beta) client will never see it implemented in to the game for us too.
in the end , I’m positive on this kind of initiative , but really hope that some of the basic feature could be implemented for all the player base and not just half of it, I’m i wrong?

Hello AndRec, I suggest you ask Overwolf directly, as we’re not managing that program. Thanks for your feedback

in API Development

Posted by: docMed.7692

docMed.7692

Thanks Stephanie, now I’ll have to call you this forever! I’ve read over these resources & I guess I’ll just have to keep hoping much more information will be eventually available through v2.

in API Development

Posted by: Raif.9507

Raif.9507

Hey there!

Name’s Raif, I’m the Overwolf Community Manager. Overwolf already has world boss timers and WvW camp timers and such created by developers from past contests which you can see on the Appstore.

As much as we’d love to have a Mac client it’s not something we have planned for the near future. A lot of the tech needed to do what Overwolf does would have to be re-written and it would take a very very long time to do that even if we were to start today. Having a Mac client is something we want to do eventually, but it’s not in the cards at this time.

Asharìa March – 80 Elementalist
Co-Guild Leader of Prime Defense on Sanctum of Rall – www.Primedefense.net

in API Development

Previous

Stephane Lo Presti

Next

Hey everyone,

Just thought I’d mention that OVerwolf is giving away 20 Plantronics RIG headset to the first 20 developers to submit a qualifying app (*). Feel free to interact in this thread, with Raif or directly on the Overwolf developer forum

Happy coding
Thanks!

(*) To maintain a high level of quality, Overwolf and ArenaNet reserve the right to choose which apps qualify to the Overwolf Appstore. You can still update the app after the first upload. All original Contest rules apply, winning the giveaway does not affect your changes to win the challenge.

in API Development

Posted by: Elrey.5472

Elrey.5472

Let me see if I understood this correctly. Someone could submit an APP now even if it’s nowhere near finished, get the RIG headset and then keep working on the APP for 59 more days to make it awesome and update it before the contest ends?

And in that case, the previously submitted APP version wouldn’t matter at all to make the final decission since it would be only taken as valid the last update? Or would it change anything and would be an stupid idea to submit a half-developed APP before the contest ends?

On top of that questions, there’s the fear that others could steal other programmer’s ideas and develop a better version of your APP in less time due to programming skills (As example, i’m learning javascript and CSS coding while programming. For me to create an APP it’s more time consuming and someone with the same idea could do it faster/better).

We need some clarification, Stephane

ES Wiki Sysop. Vanquiser of the Marionette, Lover of the Aetherpath.
Aens / Ellantriel / Nao To Mori / Saelyth. Commander
Guias de Raids en español / Spanish raiding guides

(edited by Elrey.5472)

in API Development

Raif.9507

Let me see if I understood this correctly. Someone could submit an APP now even if it’s nowhere near finished, get the RIG headset and then keep working on the APP for 59 more days to make it awesome and update it before the contest ends?

And in that case, the previously submitted APP version wouldn’t matter at all to make the final decission since it would be only taken as valid the last update? Or would it change anything and would be an stupid idea to submit a half-developed APP before the contest ends?

On top of that questions, there’s the fear that others could steal other programmer’s ideas and develop a better version of your APP in less time due to programming skills (As example, i’m learning javascript and CSS coding while programming. For me to create an APP it’s more time consuming and someone with the same idea could do it faster/better).

We need some clarification, Stephane

I can answer that =)

Yes, you can do exactly that. You aren’t guaranteed to win that headset because it has to be of a certain level of quality, but yes you can create a basic app now, send it in to win the headset and then update it as the contest goes on.

The final judgement of your app will be on your final app only. Whatever you submit now for the headset will not count towards your final submissions judgement.

There should be no fear of someone stealing your idea as no one but Overwolf and AreneNet will see your app unless you share it.

Hope that clarifies things for you =)

in API Development

Previous

Stephane Lo Presti

Hi everyone,

Posting the results in this thread for the sake of closure: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-results-of-the-overwolf-guild-wars-2-app-challenge-are-in/

Thanks!

in API Development

Posted by: neno.6059

neno.6059

Any winner have received an email from gw2 or overwolf?!

in API Development

Posted by: Mayhem Maelstrom.9562

Mayhem Maelstrom.9562

Might I please ask that you release the apps someplace where they are universally available and not just on your social media, as indicated in your press release?

I am very interested in almost all of them, including wondering what “Jump!” might do to help me with the jumping on puzzles. As it is, my thumb hurts constantly from hitting the space bar, generally while doing jumping puzzles. I know I can remap, but then it would just be some other finger. Anyway, I’m not on any social media, other than Linked In. Can’t handle their EULAs.

So I am hoping you might be able to accommodate this crowd of admittedly limited numbers who, like me, would be unable to access any of the winning entries, if they are only released on social media.

in API Development

Posted by: Mayhem Maelstrom.9562

Mayhem Maelstrom.9562

Oh, I see Overwolf is releasing them on its website. Excellent. All I needed. Thank you.

in API Development

Raif.9507

Oh, I see Overwolf is releasing them on its website. Excellent. All I needed. Thank you.

Overwolf is a separate platform for apps, you just download that program (www.overwolf.com/download) and then head into the appstore. You cannot get them from any other place and need Overwolf to run them.