Welcome to the API Development subforum

in API Development

Posted by: Stephane Lo Presti

Stephane Lo Presti

Content Marketing Manager, French

Next

This subforum is a discussion forum for developers of applications that use the Guild Wars 2 API (or want to use it). You’re free to ask questions, discuss topics and make suggestions relative to the Guild Wars 2 API as long as they’re of a technical nature. Whether you’re an amateur or experienced developer, we encourage you to participate in this subforum and help in any way you can. We hope that you’ll find here a home for all your API Development needs and create an awesome Guild Wars 2 application based on the API!

The following sticky threads will help you get an idea of how this specific subforum works:

This forum is NOT intended to be a place for general discussion about the API or the applications using it, or to promote your API-based program or website (unless it’s only intended at API application developers). Application developers and users can create threads in the Community Creations subforum.

(edited by Moderator)

in API Development

Previous

Stephane Lo Presti

Next

Hi everyone,

We’re going to progressively move the key documents currently hosted in sticky posts on the API Development subforum to the official Guild Wars 2 Wiki. This should make their management and update much easier, improving the life of all API developers!

I’ll post on the respective threads to point to the new wiki article and will give time to everyone to get used to the new system, possibly providing some feedback. The only sticky that will ultimately remain active on the subforum will be the “API Development Plans” one.

All the API wiki articles will be in a specific namespace that can only be edited by particular groups of wiki editors. So, if you’re interested in editing and maintaining some of these articles, you’ll have to create an account on the wiki and then leave a message on this page: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2_Wiki:Requests_for_API_editorship
Then one of the wiki bureaucrat (or me or Cliff) will put you in the proper group.

Please note that the forum will remain the only place for discussing the API, the wiki should only be used for updating the API articles or discussing their formatting/organization.

You can let me know here if you have any question or comment.
Thanks!

in API Development

Posted by: smiley.1438

smiley.1438

All the API wiki articles will be in a specific namespace that can only be edited by particular groups of wiki editors.

Do you plan such a namespace also for the “other” wikis, namely german, french and spanish? If yes, count me in for german.

(edited by smiley.1438)

in API Development

Previous

Stephane Lo Presti

Next

Do you plan such a namespace also for the “other” wikis, namely german, french and spanish? If yes, count me in for german.

Hey smiley! I’ll share with everyone the answer I gave you on the wiki

We actually decided to only do the API in English and not in any other language so that developers (most of whom speak English) can focus on the English API Development subforum and interact with Cliff. This is a “design” choice but we’re not against players relaying these information in other languages of course (thanks for doing it in German. We’d rather though that the community of API application developers focus its efforts in one language, since it’s much more efficient that way (it’s after all a rather small community at the moment, albeit an active, engaged and knowledgeable one).

in API Development

Posted by: rodadams.5963

rodadams.5963

So when changes are made, will they even be mentioned here?
I think I’d be fine with a message like “Hey, we just added the ability to frobnotz your grokifiers. See <here> for the details”.

However, if we’re expected to just periodically “go look at the wiki” for updates, that’s pretty suboptimal.

I have to ask about this, since the “Changes….” thread where updates were announced to has been locked, suggesting that’s been deprecated even for announcements.

in API Development

Posted by: smiley.1438

smiley.1438

I have to ask about this, since the “Changes….” thread where updates were announced to has been locked, suggesting that’s been deprecated even for announcements.

The changes thread has always been locked for normal users, but i hope too that it will be maintained in future.

in API Development

Previous

Stephane Lo Presti

All sticky threads except the one about the Development Plans will eventually move to the wiki. Of course we’ll be listening to feedback from developers here and if this is something that developers think goes against their practice, we may change our plans.

Note that the wiki can notify you by email of change to each of these documents, which pretty improves on this thread being updated (except that you’ll have to look at 2 different sites).