*_names.json static?

*_names.json static?

in API Development

Posted by: Kuang Eleven.9781

Kuang Eleven.9781

Can we assume that the three _names.json API calls are relatively static? i.e. that the server/event/map associated with an id will not change arbitrarily?

Specifically in the context of an Android app, I’d like to cache the results from these calls for a given “session” and avoid calling all three whenever I make an events.json call.

*_names.json static?

in API Development

Posted by: Cliff Spradlin.3512

Cliff Spradlin.3512

Lead Programmer

Next

Yes, please cache the results!

The names are guaranteed to be static between game patches/builds, but it’s possible for the list to grow between patches. The Events API, like the Item API, only shows events and maps that have been discovered by players.

So the ‘perfect’ logic would be to cache the results, and only do a lookup after a patch or if you don’t have a cached result for a particular event ID. And you probably don’t really need to do it between patches, as event names will rarely if ever change after being created.

*_names.json static?

in API Development

Posted by: SmartBobby.6283

SmartBobby.6283

The Events API, like the Item API, only shows events and maps that have been discovered by players.

What does it mean exactly? If one player has discovered all events or items, all events or items will be accessible via the api? So if you implement for example a new map after a patch, it would mean, that in the first minutes not all events of this map would be accessible via the api?

All in all, it sounds like, at end all events and all items will be accessible after a bit of time. I’m right?

Reges Insani Occultae Templae [RIOT] | http://www.riot-guild.eu/
Elona Reach [DE] – Let’s be strong and fight together! ;)

*_names.json static?

in API Development

Posted by: Cliff Spradlin.3512

Previous

Cliff Spradlin.3512

Lead Programmer

If any player in the world participates in an event, then it is considered discovered.
If any player in the world acquires an item, then it is considered discovered.

How quickly an item or event is discovered depends on how well-hidden it is in the world. It’s possible that an event or item might never be discovered.

Edit: To clarify, once something is discovered on any world, it is considered discovered on all worlds.

(edited by Cliff Spradlin.3512)

*_names.json static?

in API Development

Posted by: SmartBobby.6283

SmartBobby.6283

Ahh, okay thank you, that’s really interesting. But honestly, is there really an event or item which isn’t discovered until now? :P

Edit: I think I got it, with this implementation you hide items, which are in the game, but for example not accessible for players, right?

Reges Insani Occultae Templae [RIOT] | http://www.riot-guild.eu/
Elona Reach [DE] – Let’s be strong and fight together! ;)

(edited by SmartBobby.6283)

*_names.json static?

in API Development

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Ahh, okay thank you, that’s really interesting. But honestly, is there really an event or item which isn’t discovered until now? :P

I flippin’ hope so.

If there are no secrets in Tyria, only things that haven’t been implemented, That’s kind of sad.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

*_names.json static?

in API Development

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

I am guessing some events, particularly fail states could very well not be discovered… Event can also run n times, but if no players participating it would not count as discovered either.

When someone sees an event the natural reaction is to complete it, not intentionally fail, with very few exceptions. So unless you happen to it when it has naturally regressed to some point then you would not discover the event. This true especially now that the population has settled.

So especially for new added content, which is only in a world for limited time ie. new living story open world event… the chance of something not getting counted as discovered is possible, unless a group of people systematically tries to fail an event just to see if by chance there is a follow up… and this would have to be off-peak to even be possible.

*_names.json static?

in API Development

Posted by: Leighwyn McClendon.9346

Leighwyn McClendon.9346

If any player in the world participates in an event, then it is considered discovered.
If any player in the world acquires an item, then it is considered discovered.

How quickly an item or event is discovered depends on how well-hidden it is in the world. It’s possible that an event or item might never be discovered.

Does that, combined with the fact that I only get 16 world status results for the Grenth Temple defense event, imply that 35 of the 51 have never successfully finished the Grenth chain??

edit: per post above me, I guess it could simply mean that 35 have never had people stick around to bother defending it.

*_names.json static?

in API Development

Posted by: Zyphent.2967

Zyphent.2967

I flippin’ hope so.

If there are no secrets in Tyria, only things that haven’t been implemented, That’s kind of sad.

You’ve got to realize over 3 million people have bought and played this game, that number is mind bogglingly massive.

If you combine the experience of 3 million people and have not seen everything in the game, I’d be floored. The only example I can think of is the 2nd door to the right of the Organ in Ebonhawke that nobody has opened yet.

*_names.json static?

in API Development

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

There are tons of items that have never been discovered simply because they’re not in the world but only in the data files. Those can be found on gw2db.com.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

*_names.json static?

in API Development

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

I flippin’ hope so.

You’ve got to realize over 3 million people have bought and played this game, that number is mind bogglingly massive.

If you combine the experience of 3 million people and have not seen everything in the game, I’d be floored. The only example I can think of is the 2nd door to the right of the Organ in Ebonhawke that nobody has opened yet.

You underestimate how easy it is to design a nearly unsolvable puzzle, simply by never advertising its existence or giving any hint as to how it is solved. You also vastly underestimate the scarcity of goods if assigned an abysmally low drop chance. Remember Final Rest? Remember how long it took anyone to discover the secret WvW kitten room that was there since release?

Designing secrets is actually really easy if you don’t also design hints to them.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

*_names.json static?

in API Development

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

Also, undiscovered events are, for instance, the new events that occur in a new release. I understand why Anet doesn’t want us to know which events are being released.

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

*_names.json static?

in API Development

Posted by: rodadams.5963

rodadams.5963

I can also imagine there might be some debugging “red flag” events, which are intentionally made to never occur.

For all we know, there’s an event in Queensdale which has you kill a white bunny, and grants you 100g, 20 levels of XP, and respawns every 15s. Only, it has a precondition of “On Debug Server”