A Top 5 Plays Series? (Idea)

A Top 5 Plays Series? (Idea)

in Community Creations

Posted by: Wolfar.6508

Wolfar.6508

Hello everyone,

So I have always enjoyed watching Top 5 Plays from videogames. You see these regulary in League of Legends (example) and a lot of shooters (example). They give the viewer a look at some great plays from various players while the viewer can (usually) also vote on which one they found the number one play (of the week for example) out of the 5 clips. These Top 5 Plays also give the players featured in the video, a ‘moment of fame’. As the viewer of the video will be able to see his name together with his play. It can make otherwise unknown great players become known.

So when I was looking around, I did not see any Top 5 Plays for Guild Wars 2. Yes, this is a MMORPG and it’s kind of unusual to have a Top 5 Play (as generally people like to play the game over watching others play it) but I can see it work for Guild Wars 2. We can have a mix (or seperated per episode) of World vs World and Player vs Player clips that showcase a great play with commentary.

Reasons that this can work are:

• Otherwise unknown great players will be able to make a name for themselves without needing to start a YouTube channel. It’s tough to get a subscriber base and some people don’t want to invest that much time in youtube. This can be an excellent solution in that case as existing youtubers can grant them their ‘moment of fame’.
  • The game is very skill based (with some exceptions in WvW) which can lead to fantastic plays that are very enjoyable to watch. A viewer can learn from the moves/mistake the player makes and adjust his own gameplay to it.
  • It can be simply entertaining. Remember Yishis’ Outnumbered videos? Those featured some excellent plays done by himself. It usually took a while for him to create the video because he had to actually make the plays (and commentate them). This can be done much faster when a person gets the clips from other players which he can then commentate over. You can then make it a weekly thing for example.

I wish to volunteer to do this although there might be one issue. That is my accent. I am from the Netherlands and we have a very clear accent, you can easily hear it. This can cause some users to have a hard time understanding me which can ruin the fun for them (as the commentary is a very important part of those videos). I can however make this less of an issue by writing scripts for the individual clips so I am able to focus on how I pronounce words instead of thinking about the words I wish to say.

Now for this to work it is important that people actually send in clips. This is really a community thing, if no one sends anything it is impossible to make a video. This will be tough to boot up at first but as we progress and people learn about the videos, it can grow quickly.

If I get a positive response on this thread, I will try and sort out a first episode. This will most likely feature mainly clips from myself as it is basically a pilot episode. When people enjoy the format, I can include different clips from different players. The different clips can be send in by linking URLs from Youtube for example or uploading the file somewhere. Uploading the file might not work because the files will be large and you need to store it somewhere. That will often cost money.

For people that already got clips and wish to send the URL to me (after they uploaded them). You can use this my mail address: wolfineers@gmail.com

So, are you willing to give this a shot?

Wolfineer.com - Everything Engineer!