Ajjai's Dilemma

Ajjai's Dilemma

in Community Creations

Posted by: Calliope.8675

Calliope.8675

Ajjai waddled through the streets of the Black Citadel. She drew some stares and a few Charr glared at her with open dislike. What they thought was of no concern to her. She was here to find her friend and if that meant shaving the fur off a few overgrown housecats she would not hesitate. She paused at a corner before continuing to the Blood Legion quarters. For her own peace of mind she summoned her minion brigade.

Normally it would have been comical to see an Asura in the Charr city, but Ajjai had a very unfriendly air about her. Whoever dared cross the tiny female would find themselves having an extremely bad day. Her eyes glowed unnaturally through the demon lenses and left red marks around her eyes. She stopped again to look up at a sign and her lip curled in a quiet snarl. It was approach Tribune Brimstone or find a legionnaire in the Blood district. Sriyil had said Valter had arrived, but not where he would be.

As she approached a Legion canteen several Blood Legion stomped out. Her bone minions squealed, scurrying closer to her. The Charr warriors turned to look down at her. The largest of the bunch, an enormous, spotted male, growled at her. Ajjai growled back at him as he turned to walk away. It was stupid, she knew, because the Charr would take it as a challenge – and he did. He turned and roared at her.

Another Charr grabbed his arm. “Melloroch, she’s an Asura, she doesn’t know better.” This one was female.

Melloroch jerked his arm free. “I don’t care. She challenged me!” He growled at Ajjai. “I’m going to enjoy pummeling you into the dirt.

Ajjai pulled her weapons free. The stolen Inquest dagger crackled with red lightning in her left hand. She smirked. This might just be what she needed to relieve some of the stress that had been building ever since she’d returned to her lab in Rata Sum. They moved away from the canteen as more Charr began to form a ring around them. The female Charr that had spoken looked at Ajjai then left.

~~~

Valter was just reclining on his bunk when Euryale burst into the room. Startled, he bolted upright, reaching for his sword. He relaxed when he realized it was just her.

“You shouldn’t surprise me like that, Euryale.” He reproached her as he lay back again.

“Valter, you need to come. There is a little Asura fighting with Melloroch. He is going to crush her!”

“Why does that matter to me?” He grumbled.

Euryale swatted at him. “It’s that Necromancer you were telling me about! She’s got those eyes, the glowy ones!”

“Ajjai?” He wondered at that. “Now why would she be here?”

“I don’t know, but if you don’t do something you’ll never find out.”

Valter sighed, dragging himself out of his bed. He was tired from traveling. He’d wanted to relax a little before they reported to Tribune Brimstone. He grabbed his weapons then took off out the door after Euryale.

They had to shoulder their way through the crowd. Many, many Charr had gathered to watch the fight. Melloroch was a big warrior and well known. He wasn’t exactly the brightest Charr in the Blood Legion, but he knew how to get a job done. Word had traveled fast how an Asura had challenged the most vicious warrior in the legion ranks and was holding her own. Now everyone was trying to watch the spectacle, placing bets on who would win and how long they would last.

Valter groaned when he finally caught sight of Ajjai. She stood well back from the other Charr, commanding her minions and using weakening curses on Melloroch. Blood flowed between his plates of armor. Ajjai did not look as though she had been touched. He held his breath as he watched the warrior charge her. She dodged at the last second, when he could not abort his attack or turn to follow her. He crashed into the wall of Charr behind her.

“I’m putting my money on the Asura!” Euryale called over the noise.

“What are you doing?” Valter growled at her. “That’s my friend in there!”

Euryale grinned. “If all you have told me is true then this is an investment, not a gamble.”

He grumbled. He did not doubt Ajjai’s abilities. It even became clear she was toying with the warrior. She would allow him close then send him running in fear or dodge his attack. Eventually the fight boiled down to an all out brawl between Melloroch and Ajjai’s minions. Ajjai won, of course.

~~~

Ajjai's Dilemma

in Community Creations

Calliope.8675

Melloroch lay on the ground after his defeat, out cold. Ajjai climbed up his back to stand on his head.

“Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!” She punctuated each word with a stomp on his head. “If you pick a fight with me again I’ll pull your whiskers out! I’ll shave your tail!”

She hopped off his head, her back to him. His eyes were open now. He flashed his fangs and growled at her. She was not cowed. She whirled around, whacking his snout loudly with her scepter and awarding him a black glare. He yowled, leaping back from her. Valter rubbed his own nose sympathetically. She’d whacked him a time or two before as well.

“I’ll knock your teeth out!” She snapped and waved her scepter threateningly.

Melloroch rubbed his nose, ignoring her now. Ajjai waddled over to Valter. She folded her arms as she frowned up at him. She was always in a sour mood, except when she was cooking or an Asura she liked was around. Valter liked her anyway.

He grinned as he picked her up by her head. “Hey Shrimpy!”

She squealed, kicking her feet and trying to swat at his hand. “Valter! Put me down! RIGHT NOW!”

He chuckled as he set her down. They were always picking on each other, but the small Asuran female was a bully. She growled and put her foot down on his toes. He noticed she did not do it as hard as she normally did. She bared her tiny teeth at him, but that only made him grin.

Ajjai ran a hand over her hair to make sure the buns had not come loose. She did not look up as Euryale stalked closer. Her flesh golem lumbered over to crouch in front of her. She clambered up to sit on its shoulders. She was nearer to eye-level with Valter now. She scowled at him. Why was she so angry today?

“Shrimpy what are you doing here?” He asked as he folded his arms.

She shook her head. “Not here. I’ll explain somewhere more private.”

Euryale growled and bent nose to nose with the Asura. “Whatever you have to say can be said here, rat.”

Ajjai growled back at her. “Back off kitty! I’ll bite your nose off if you don’t remove it from my face.”

Valter roared with laughter and pulled Euryale away from his friend. “We can go to the room I’ve been given while I’m here. Shrimpy, meet Euryale. Euryale, Shrimpy.”

The women eyed each other. Ajjai folded her arms, looking down her nose.

“My name isn’t Shrimpy, McPitterpaws!” Euryale looked over to Valter with surprise as he groaned. “I’ve heard a lot about you, Euryale. I’m Ajjai. Pitters and I have done some missions together.”

Euryale began to grin then laugh. “You’re good in my books Ajjai.” She looked over to Valter and snickered. “McPitterpaws.”

Valter snarled. “This way.” He stormed to his room.

He did his best to ignore Ajjai. He was furious she’d called him that in front of Euryale. Now he’d never live it down. Euryale might not say it in front of the rest of the warband, but she would use it as blackmail. She would make him miserable.

Valter entered first, dropping onto his bed. Euryale took the nearby bench. Ajjai remained on her flesh golem’s back. She peered around the room. Then she pulled a crystal out of her bag, fiddling with it for a moment. She tossed it into the air, saying a sharp word. It flashed, blinding them, and then glowed a soft blue.

Euryale growled as she rubbed her eyes. “What was that for?” She asked as she blinked away spots. “You could have warned us.”

Ajjai sniffed as she hopped down to sit on the floor. “I was making sure nobody would hear us.”

“What’s with all the secrecy?” Valter asked. “Why are you here anyway?” Then another thought occurred to him. “How did you know I was in the Black Citadel? Euryale and I arrived just this morning.”

She grinned at him. “Sriyil.”

He grumbled, leaning against the wall.

(edited by Calliope.8675)

Ajjai's Dilemma

in Community Creations

Calliope.8675

“I need your help, Valter. I want you to come with me to Mount Maelstrom.” All humor had fled the Asura’s face. She was serious. “Someone important to me has gone missing there and I am going to look for her. I want you to come with me.”

She was expecting trouble if she had traveled all the way to the Citadel to ask his assistance. “What is there? Why are you worried?”

Ajjai did not immediately answer, her lips pressed into a tight line. “There are three main concerns,” she ticked them off on her fingers, “Risen, Krait, and Inquest. On occasion there is a problem with destroyers, but the Inquest provoke that.”

He looked at her. “Which one do you think it is?”

“Inquest.” He knew there was bad blood between Ajjai and the Inquest. She had told him they had claimed she had stolen a design for her golem from them, and until an investigation was completed they were awarded her design. She’d fought to prove ownership of the invention, fighting not only the system, but the Inquest at the same time.

“We can’t help you.” Euryale said, joining the conversation. “The Tribune summoned us here for a mission. We can’t just leave. We have a duty to the legion.”

Ajjai bared her teeth. “I’ll go by myself!” She turned on Valter. “I thought you’d said you would help whenever I needed it. I’m asking you now.”

Valter stared into her cloudy blue eyes. He liked them better than the demon masque she wore with her armor, which changed them and made them glow eerily. He saw determination, having expected nothing less from her, but also saw hope begging him to come. Euryale would not be happy with him.

“I will come with you, Ajjai. I gave my word.”

Euryale exploded, roaring at him. She made a lunge for him, but Ajjai intercepted. She smacked her nose with her scepter, glaring at her. Valter stared at the women. They were nose to nose again and growling at each other. The Asura was either crazy or had guts, but he was not about to let his two best friends fight.

“Euryale, please sit down” He tried to speak calmly. “Please sit, before Ajjai’s minions decide she needs protecting.”

Her head whipped towards the minions with a growl. She backed away and sat down heavily. Valter turned to Ajjai. He sighed.

“We will have to speak to the Tribune. He will not be pleased.”

Ajjai folded her arms. “I can deal with him and no! I will be polite. I can be charming.”

She thrust her chin out mulishly at his dubious look. He sighed again as he shook his head.

“Very well, let’s go tell him.”

~~~

Ajjai's Dilemma

in Community Creations

Calliope.8675

Ajjai walked beside Valter, or rather, jogged, refusing to be a follower. She also did not want to be near Euryale. The female glared at her with open hostility. Provided everything went well with the Tribune they could be on their way before sundown. Time was of the essence.

The door to the Tribune’s office whirred open. It intrigued Ajjai enough that she almost turned to inspect it. She had business to attend to first. Curiosity could be satisfied later.

The Tribune was a massive Charr with black fur. She knew of him, having read everything she could about Destiny’s Edge. Rytlock Brimstone was a Charr not to be trifled with. He liked no one. But, he had liked Snaff. He looked at Valter then to Ajjai.

“What is this mouse doing here?” He pointed to Ajjai, but addressed Valter.

Valter saluted his Tribune and stammered nervously. “S-she’s a friend, sir. We have done some field work together.”

Rytlock growled. “Well, what do you want?”

“Ajjai has requested my assistance. I have not spoken to my warband yet, but I wanted to let you know I, at least, would be going with her. I apologize for the inconvenience.”

Rytlock eyed Valter then glared at Ajjai. “Well?”

“It’s a rescue mission of a personal nature. A friend of mine has gone missing near Mount Maelstrom. I am going to find her.” She told him, not yet ready to bargain with him.

“I still have to release him before he can accompany you.” He growled as he leaned across his desk.

She folded her arms. “An exchange. My services for his.”

He considered her. “We have no use for you.”

Ajjai snorted at him. “Nonsense! I am sure you could use an extra hand in the field. I am-“

“Useless,” he finished and snarled at her.

Using Valter for leverage she hopped onto Rytlock’s desk. She growled back at him, her charming demeanor worn out.

“Now you see here! Valter and I have worked together, extensively, in the Brand. I am not intimidated by you or any other Charr.” She had shuffled across his desk to stand in front of him.

The big Charr assessed her then began to laugh. “Very well, mouse, an exchange of services. Now get out. I’m sick of your face.”

Before she got off his desk she pulled a pin from her pocket and left it for him. Valter and Euryale saluted their Tribune.

Rytlock called to Valter as he left. “That mouse is rubbing off on you, Valter.”

The door shut behind them. Valter led the way. He had to speak to his warband now. Euryale would come with him, he knew, but the others would remain with the legion for whatever mission the Tribune had wanted them there for. Afterwards, they would pack and leave for Mount Maelstrom. Ajjai would take care of the necessary travel arrangements in the meantime, as well as contact someone who was waiting for them. Valter decided this might work out, he was itching for action, something aside from Ascalonian ghosts and Separatist fighters.

~~~
Inquest Incursion ~ Part 2

Attachments:

(edited by Calliope.8675)