Community Showcase Live -- June 22nd

in Community Creations

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

The next episode of CSL will air on June 22nd at Noon Pacific Time.

I’ve already selected most of the assets for the June show, but don’t let that dissuade you from continuing to post your art! I go back months to find tasty things to show, so there’s always a chance that something submitted in one month will be featured the next month or even several months after it was first posted.

Thank you all for making this show so much fun!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

in Community Creations

Posted by: DawnSketch.7105

DawnSketch.7105

Yay! I can’t wait to see all the great art! : D

I do Commissions of Player Characters! Contact me via:
Dawnpainterz @ DeviantART or
Dawnpainterz @ Gmail

in Community Creations

Posted by: AegisRunestone.8672

AegisRunestone.8672

As much as I appreciate these live showcases, I’m also a little unhappy. Back when the creative creations were shown on the front page, I had a chance of showing off my writing as long as it was a short story (you said that yourself, Gaile, to me).

Then, I finished one during last Wintersday, but since the showcase went live, there’s no place for any writing at all. This is extremely disappointing and it’s unfair to those of us who have no drawing skill, but have excellent writing skills.

I recommend some sort of change in how the Community Showcases are done so that writers are not left out. My only idea is: have the live showcase, but then also post them on the front page as well, except including chosen written works.

Sadly, I know, even if you do change this, my short story won’t be there because it’s months old.

Congratulations, though, to all the artists who get chosen for the showcase.’

I apologize ahead of time for sounding so bitter, BTW. But I feel like people who have great talent are being unfairly kicked out of any opportunity of being noticed because they write, cannot draw, cannot create music, etc.

(edited by AegisRunestone.8672)

in Community Creations

Posted by: DawnSketch.7105

DawnSketch.7105

Aegis, They pre-record the show now so I’m sure they could try reading snippets from stories and if people like them they can go read the full thing.

I do Commissions of Player Characters! Contact me via:
Dawnpainterz @ DeviantART or
Dawnpainterz @ Gmail

in Community Creations

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Hello,

I brought up your comments in a team meeting today. Keep in mind that many of us on the team are major fans of fan fiction, and we have thought long and hard about how we might include such works in Community Showcase Live. However, we have concluded that the format of the show is most conducive to visual art, whether that is a photograph of cosplay, a piece of digital art, a sculpture, a plushy, and so forth, and that’s the way we intend to present the show in the future.

But take heart! If you’re writing fan fiction, there are a few media that you can use to reach more readers:

• Post on the official forums
  • Join the Tumblr fan fiction community and share your work there
  • Submit for possible publishing on our official GW2 Tumblr page

If you do that latter, please be sure you read through the guidelines for content, because our content guidelines for fan fiction are somewhat strict, as they must be in anything that uses our canon characters. If you submit to our Tumblr page, be sure you tag your work with “GW2 Fan Submission.”

Due to the time required for fan fiction reviews, we must be very selective about what we choose to publish on our Tumblr page. But again, I’d suggest you reach out to the Guild Wars 2 fan fiction community as a whole, and join in, get feedback, and potentially build your own following there.

Having said that, I always add “call outs” for content that cannot be included in the show. You may have seen them in the past, where I point to a comic or call out a YouTube audible file of a narrative work. This month’s CSL happens to include a call to action on the subject of fan fiction, so I think you’ll be pleased with that.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

in Community Creations

Posted by: AegisRunestone.8672

AegisRunestone.8672

Gaile, I watched the showcase, I need to say a few things.

First, I’m sorry for being so harsh.
Second, I really appreciate the call-out you made to us fan story writers.

I’m going to submit my fan story and its side short story to tumblr again, I just have a question: I don’t see the “GW2 Fan Submission” tag under the tag section to check. How do I tag my story?

Edit: I just re-read the submission thingie. I don’t have a tumblr page—I used to, but I left. Would having a tumblr page increase my chances of it showing up on the Guild Wars 2 tumblr page?