"Design-a-Weapon" Contest!

in Community Creations

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

You may have seen the news: ArenaNet has announced our third Design-a-Weapon contest! Read about it here. There are details about art submissions, rules, prizes, and eligibility.

If you have questions, please post them in this thread and we’ll get you the information you seek.

Best of luck to all who participate!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

in Community Creations

Posted by: Jack Redline.5379

Jack Redline.5379

Perfect finaly some answers might come xD

here are mine

i have a few questions. there were templates sent with the zip. file. i just want to ask if i am interested in making some pictures and send them. Shloud i take a template for example of staff and lets say cut it out from it and use it in my program to make picture inside of template ? i could also use some meassurements like it is nice of you to give us the edge columns but i cant imagine how big should the columns be.
I mean if i would take that template and and drew by it the columns might not corespond with the correct size. it is supposed to be on A4 at least so pls if you could specify the meassures i am working on dagger right now so that would be appreciated the most.

also i want to ask if the A4 jpg. should contain only “2D” view of a weapon as is in templates or should it also contain view from above and side?

thank you

(edited by Jack Redline.5379)

in Community Creations

Posted by: Smash chu.1625

Smash chu.1625

Gonna add this to this thread since i was suggested to!

Haven’t seen anyone ask about this yet, and haven’t gotten an answer from the ticket i sent in to the support either, so i was curious what could one do if they submit the wrong file on accident? I had two versions of the file of the weapon i made, one meant to be posted online on my blog, and the other submitted to the contest, but i ended up submitting the former as the thumbnails and names were the same and i was in a bit of a rush earlier. So, do you think it would be alright to send in the proper file, even though you’re not allowed to do duplicates technically? I don’t wanna end up wasting a slot of what i can submit to the contest or being disqualified because i put in the wrong file by mistake.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Exio.4938

Exio.4938

Hello, I too want to know if I am supposed to cut the weapon example template and draw inside it or if it is enough to make a weapon with realistic proportions (like the handle be realistically fit for the player’s hands and such). Hope someone can enlighten me on this

in Community Creations

Posted by: NefyFeiri.6328

NefyFeiri.6328

I’ve so been waiting for this!! I’ve just got few questions, when it says to state the country, i’m assuming it means country where you live in instead of country you were born in? Also if i’d like to submit just one design, do i need to use the provided sheet or can i make it on a separate sheet, just as long as i follow the guide lines?

in Community Creations

Posted by: Adhesive Gamin.2854

Adhesive Gamin.2854

Should we write the type of weapon on the design image anywhere? I could imagine some ambiguity there and didn’t see in the rules or submission form anywhere to describe what you’ve made.

in Community Creations

Posted by: MidnightX.6294

MidnightX.6294

am i allowed to put up a weapon-title or weapon-info for effects to the corner of my name/ country/ ingamename/ etc… ?

edit: can we have a hairstyle-contest next? we need better hair more than weapon

(edited by MidnightX.6294)

in Community Creations

Posted by: hugo.4705

hugo.4705

Great questions for you Anet, I saw them a lot of time:
-Should we make a full set of Weapons (x3) or only One? (x3)
-Can we add somewhere a description for the effects: “floating cube, sparks?”

Join Inquest or Aetherblades that’s a terrible choice!
Please Anet, more underground, more asuran cities!
[TP] Bring back Moto’s boom box!

in Community Creations

Posted by: eduardo.1436

eduardo.1436

The news says that the community can also vote for their favorite, is there going to be a site where we can view and vote?

Edit: I’m actually a bit worried, I submitted my entry but I put a name on it, is that legal or am I disqualified?

in Community Creations

Posted by: Stephanie Bourguet

Previous

Stephanie Bourguet

Next

Should i take a template for example of staff and lets say cut it out from it and use it in my program to make picture inside of template ? i could also use some meassurements like it is nice of you to give us the edge columns but i cant imagine how big should the columns be.
I mean if i would take that template and and drew by it the columns might not corespond with the correct size. it is supposed to be on A4 at least so pls if you could specify the meassures i am working on dagger right now so that would be appreciated the most.

Template wise, you should use it in the background of your weapon (toying with transparency of layers for instance) to make sure that the proportions of your weapon design respect the proportions given by the template, especially for the handles of said weapons.

The size of the template will most likely be smaller than the end result of your design, but when brought back to the same scale, proportions should be respected.

As you may have noticed in the “examples” folder, in the .Zip we gave, our artists took a few liberties with the blue outlines of the template. You can do so too. Yellow/green/red lines of the handles need to be observed.

also i want to ask if the A4 jpg. should contain only “2D” view of a weapon as is in templates or should it also contain view from above and side?

Unless there is a special element of your weapon design that is totally different from one side to the other (for instance, if one side was fire themed, and the other water themed), one angle/side is fine.

Hello, I too want to know if I am supposed to cut the weapon example template and draw inside it or if it is enough to make a weapon with realistic proportions (like the handle be realistically fit for the player’s hands and such). Hope someone can enlighten me on this

The end result you’re submitting as entry doesn’t have to display the template. It is here to help you proportions wise.

I’ve so been waiting for this!! I’ve just got few questions, when it says to state the country, i’m assuming it means country where you live in instead of country you were born in? Also if i’d like to submit just one design, do i need to use the provided sheet or can i make it on a separate sheet, just as long as i follow the guide lines?

It’s the country you are living in.

You don’t need to save your design in the same photoshop file we used. You can make your own.

Should we write the type of weapon on the design image anywhere? I could imagine some ambiguity there and didn’t see in the rules or submission form anywhere to describe what you’ve made.

As long as the weapon type name is far enough from the weapon itself so that we can remove it if necessary, you can write it somewhere around the personnal information details you have to add in one of the corners of the picture.

am i allowed to put up a weapon-title or weapon-info for effects to the corner of my name/ country/ ingamename/ etc… ?

edit: can we have a hairstyle-contest next? we need better hair more than weapon

Title and name wise: Please don’t. These will not impact selection and will be removed anyway for the voting step if your design is among the finalists. If you win, we will ask you anyway for more details about your design.

Next contest: Anything is possible but I would like to keep this thread focused on the current contest.

-Should we make a full set of Weapons (x3) or only One? (x3)
-Can we add somewhere a description for the effects: “floating cube, sparks?”

Each entry = 1 weapon.
A weapon set would go way beyond the 3 entries allowed. Also, if you happen to submit 3 entries, they don’t have to belong to a same set. You can vary the style as much as you like.

Special effects description wise: Yes you can, but please only do so if absolutely necessary and you have no other option design wise. Ideally, the design should be self explanatory without needing subtitles.

in Community Creations

Previous

Stephanie Bourguet

Next

The news says that the community can also vote for their favorite, is there going to be a site where we can view and vote?

Edit: I’m actually a bit worried, I submitted my entry but I put a name on it, is that legal or am I disqualified?

We will give you a link when the time comes to vote. Regarding your entry, if you happened to give a name to your weapon, it will just be ignored: You won’t get disqualified because of it.

in Community Creations

Posted by: leviathan.2148

leviathan.2148

Could you explain this rule?

Designs may not contain, as determined by the Sponsors, in their sole discretion, any content that promotes firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing); promotes any activities that may appear unsafe or dangerous.

So I can’t design a weapon that looks dangerous or as a weapon?

I am an engineer – a pianist of destruction! Now please go back to standing in my AOE.

http://wpwhendead.tumblr.com - a GW2 webcomic about a Charr and a Skritt

in Community Creations

Posted by: goji.4172

goji.4172

Hi! I was wondering if we will retain the right to use imagery of our weapon designs in non-Guild Wars-related settings after they are submitted? For example, I wanted to have one of my submissions be based off of a hammer a character uses in a webcomic my partner and I are writing together.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Smash chu.1625

Smash chu.1625

If you on accident submit a file but it wasn’t the right one, or just in general mess up your submission, will it be disqualified or count towards the 3 designs you can submit? Is there something i could do to right the wrong submission? Since i have the proper file, but picked the wrong one on accident and can’t change it now.

in Community Creations

Posted by: ismael.4930

ismael.4930

Does it has to be absolutely drawn digitally or can I handraw it as long as I follow all of the other rules?

in Community Creations

Posted by: Deus Fatorum.2473

Deus Fatorum.2473

Can we design our own footfalls to match the weapon?

in Community Creations

Posted by: Deus Fatorum.2473

Deus Fatorum.2473

Does it has to be absolutely drawn digitally or can I handraw it as long as I follow all of the other rules?

I hope so XD, I dont have access or the know how to make a good digital drawing, instead I printed the template, made my own light box, drew a design outline, and then scanned the outline of my design. I then cropped and rescaled the outline, printed it, went back to my makeshift lightbox, and fleshed out the finished product with my prismacolor pencils, scanned that and uploaded that file (I also uploaded the outline by accident, but as i am only doing 1 submission I just re uploaded it as a second submission)

If it being hand drawn is a disqualification I will be quite sad after all that effort…

in Community Creations

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

Why is underwater weapons, such as Spear, Speargun and Trident not allowed for this event? That really sucks tbh....

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

in Community Creations

Posted by: AegisRunestone.8672

AegisRunestone.8672

Okay, so my base weapon is at 200 dpi, but Photoshop makes A4 at 300 dpi. My weapon is far too large for the template at 300 dpi. How do I get an A4 size sheet in which my weapon won’t look tiny?

in Community Creations

Posted by: Iridium.6385

Iridium.6385

- Is it allowed to post an uploaded weapon concept to other places, for example this forum or reddit, while potential winners are being selected (before the community gets to vote) as well as while the community is voting? I assumed that since you are planning to erase any additional information (weapon name, explanations, etc) from the concept, you want the people to vote on the design only. But advertising a concept on the forums would ruin that. After seeing some people posting their concepts I almost did it myself but decided to ask to be sure.

- The rules say that the background must be either black, white or transparent. If my concept looks similar to the Flameseeker Prophecies example (showing the same weapon without effects on the left and with effects on the right), would it be allowed to color the left half of background white, and the right half black? This was how I have it currently to help me with drawing contrasts and I’d like to know if it has to be changed.

(edited by Iridium.6385)

in Community Creations

Posted by: Elve.1278

Elve.1278

About the part where it says no effects equivalent to legendary weapons, I assume this means footfalls and arm glows? I concepted a longbow that involves the grip of the bow being by itself, but when drawn light particles finish the whole bow, I was wondering if that was too much because its mostly particle effects. (EDIT: Thinking along the lines of storm bow)

How would we indicate dangling bits as well?

Also is the entry allowed to show stowed>equipped + a back view? Or is that also too much?

(edited by Elve.1278)

in Community Creations

Posted by: WinterSolstice.7829

WinterSolstice.7829

Say I’m making a torch, do I need to regard more toward the template arrangement, or can I hang some of the design a little more foward heavily with a hanging lantern for example? Perhaps regard to the template a little more?

Also for weapons with unique front details less visible from the side, should a perspective be icluded on the side of the same picture?

in Community Creations

Posted by: Emy Seth.7230

Emy Seth.7230

And once again: only those who’re living in countries from the list in the rules are allowed participation in contest?

in Community Creations

Previous

Stephanie Bourguet

Next

Could you explain this rule?

Designs may not contain, as determined by the Sponsors, in their sole discretion, any content that promotes firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing); promotes any activities that may appear unsafe or dangerous.

So I can’t design a weapon that looks dangerous or as a weapon?

This line refers to real life weapons promotion and the promotion of any activity appearing unsafe or dangerous. You designing GW2 themed and styled riffles or pistols (or any GW2 supported weapon) is okay.

If you on accident submit a file but it wasn’t the right one, or just in general mess up your submission, will it be disqualified or count towards the 3 designs you can submit? Is there something i could do to right the wrong submission? Since i have the proper file, but picked the wrong one on accident and can’t change it now.

Re-upload the entry, adding “erratum” at the end of the file name. The previous entry will be discarded.

Can we design our own footfalls to match the weapon?

No, that would make it a legendary weapon.

Okay, so my base weapon is at 200 dpi, but Photoshop makes A4 at 300 dpi. My weapon is far too large for the template at 300 dpi. How do I get an A4 size sheet in which my weapon won’t look tiny?

The template is only here to help you conceive the design. It doesn’t have to appear on the entry you submit.

- Is it allowed to post an uploaded weapon concept to other places, for example this forum or reddit, while potential winners are being selected (before the community gets to vote) as well as while the community is voting? I assumed that since you are planning to erase any additional information (weapon name, explanations, etc) from the concept, you want the people to vote on the design only. But advertising a concept on the forums would ruin that. After seeing some people posting their concepts I almost did it myself but decided to ask to be sure.

Posting a concept submitted for the contest publicly (anywhere) before the finalists are announced is not allowed by the rules. Once we announce the finalists, artists whose entries were not selected can share theirs. Finalists would have to wait for votes to end.

- The rules say that the background must be either black, white or transparent. If my concept looks similar to the Flameseeker Prophecies example (showing the same weapon without effects on the left and with effects on the right), would it be allowed to color the left half of background white, and the right half black? This was how I have it currently to help me with drawing contrasts and I’d like to know if it has to be changed.

One color of background only per entry.

About the part where it says no effects equivalent to legendary weapons, I assume this means footfalls and arm glows? I concepted a longbow that involves the grip of the bow being by itself, but when drawn light particles finish the whole bow, I was wondering if that was too much because its mostly particle effects. (EDIT: Thinking along the lines of storm bow)

How would we indicate dangling bits as well?

Also is the entry allowed to show stowed>equipped + a back view? Or is that also too much?

No footfalls and arm glows as only legendary weapons have this level of effects. Particules effects on the weapon itself, of the level one would except of a BLTC weapon for instance, is okay.

No need for a stowed or equipped design: Only the weapon should appear on the design. If the weapon has an on/off aspect such as the shield we have as an example, you can show its on/off states.

Also for weapons with unique front details less visible from the side, should a perspective be icluded on the side of the same picture?

Pick the side that displays the most important part of your design. Generally, it should be the one displayed in the template example.

And once again: only those who’re living in countries from the list in the rules are allowed participation in contest?

Yes, this is the list of eligible countries.

(edited by Stephanie Bourguet.4781)

in Community Creations

AegisRunestone.8672

Okay, thank you for the answer.

One (hopefully last) question: Exactly what dimensions are we looking for? I know the sheet says “A4,” but Photoshop forces that in 300 dpi. I also saw “printable.” At 72 dpi, what could be considered “printable” dimensions HxW in pixels?

(edited by AegisRunestone.8672)

in Community Creations

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

question if we already own the wings in prize can we get a different one?

in Community Creations

Posted by: Anna Leese.6031

Anna Leese.6031

if we submit more than one entry, are we allowed to make them all of the same theme as if they belonged in a set together?

in Community Creations

Posted by: Lanhelin.3480

Lanhelin.3480

In the german general forum this question was asked, but still is unanswered:

What exactly does this sentence refer to?: No automated entry devices and/or programs are permitted; all such entries will be void.

Is it drawing software like photoshop, GNU image manipulation program or mspaint? Or online drawing tools like autodraw? Or a drawing-robot that draws instead of me?

in Community Creations

Posted by: Lithril Ashwalker.6230

Lithril Ashwalker.6230

i know i cant make a weapon, but id like to see pinwheel weapons…mostly the pinwheel shield that spins and sounds like a pinwheel =3. if not that a Party Blower as a horn that sounds like one when ya blow it

in Community Creations

AegisRunestone.8672

Can I also make a suggestion? Can you extend the contest due date as many questions have not been answered and it looks like they may not be soon? If you guys are out until Monday that gives people less than 4 days to make their entries once everything is clarified.

I can’t call the shots here, obviously, but would you please take it into consideration?

Edit: Iridium corrected me. I thought September 8th was the due date, not October 8th. Oops.

in Community Creations

Iridium.6385

Can I also make a suggestion? Can you extend the contest due date as many questions have not been answered and it looks like they may not be soon? If you guys are out until Monday that gives people less than 4 days to make their entries once everything is clarified.

I can’t call the shots here, obviously, but would you please take it into consideration?

“We’re accepting submissions from today through October 8, 11:59 PM Pacific Time (UTC-7). "

Where did Monday and less than 4 days come from?

in Community Creations

AegisRunestone.8672

DO’H. I read it as September 8th.

I’m sorry, thanks for clarifying.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Olszamix.9052

Olszamix.9052

i want this [img]http://image.ibb.co/bv3U6v/Contest_Weapon_Set_Template.png[/img] it call invisible weapons

in Community Creations

Previous

Stephanie Bourguet

Next

At 72 dpi, what could be considered “printable” dimensions HxW in pixels?

The picture needs to be 300dpi minimum: “Image format must be of A4 size minimum, its resolution be sufficient for print (no less than 300dpi)”

question if we already own the wings in prize can we get a different one?

No, but you would be able to give us another account name to gift it to a friend.

if we submit more than one entry, are we allowed to make them all of the same theme as if they belonged in a set together?

Sure! Whether you make them belong to a potential same set or make them totally different is up to you.

What exactly does this sentence refer to?: No automated entry devices and/or programs are permitted; all such entries will be void.

The short answer would be : “no cheating”. These rules are general legal wording meant to cover many types of contests. I imagine the line you quoted would rather apply to a context such as having a music creation contest and a contestant trying to generate samples through an algorithm etc.

in Community Creations

Posted by: VonAdela.8624

VonAdela.8624

I’m 3D-artis and I want create 3D concept of weapon in Blender, then render image to 2D, and use a PS to match a render picture to template sheet. Is this correct or maybe is too realistic? At last finall result is still a 2D.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Lanhelin.3480

Lanhelin.3480

The short answer would be : “no cheating”. These rules are general legal wording meant to cover many types of contests. I imagine the line you quoted would rather apply to a context such as having a music creation contest and a contestant trying to generate samples through an algorithm etc.

Thank you for your answer. It was a bit difficult for us to figure out the meaning, because the german translation says (translated back to English by me): “The participation by using automated devices and/or programs is not permitted. Such entries will be void.” Since every computer is an automated device and every drawing software works automated to a certain degree, this was confusing.

I read a few other rule sets of contests from other companies where this sentence appears and it always refers to registration processes for sweepstakes and things like that, to void entries by bots.

in Community Creations

Iridium.6385

Sure! Whether you make them belong to a potential same set or make them totally different is up to you.

That’s strange. The rules seem to state that the weapons should be completely different. "Any entry submitted by a Contestant must be substantially different (as determined by Sponsors) than any other entry submitted by same Contestant. "

Did I misunderstand the quote?

in Community Creations

Iridium.6385

I am now also interested in what happens if a person submits 3 entries and becomes a finalist. Does only one entry get chosen for the finals or all 3?

in Community Creations

AegisRunestone.8672

300 dpi… okay, so my weapon, when it’s resized to 300 dpi is small on the A4, despite the fact the A4 is 300 dpi. What can I do?

Nevermind. Resize the weapon so it fits. I’m dumb.

in Community Creations

Posted by: Arctarius.2649

Arctarius.2649

I already submitted my design, but after reading your responses on what kind of magical effects are legal, my question is, can I have a tail effect on my weapon? For instance when I swing it it leaves a trail of energy from its source ( like the fractal weapons) I had originally designed it with this in mind but removed it thinking it would be illegal. Please let me know for in my original design of my weapon it added a really nice touch and I would really like to resubmit the file if this is allowed.

(edited by Arctarius.2649)

in Community Creations

Posted by: aandiarie.7195

aandiarie.7195

:( I have a weapon I want to submit, but my zip program doesn’t work. Can I have someone submit it for me?

in Community Creations

hugo.4705

Lanhelin.3480:
“What exactly does this sentence refer to?: No automated entry devices and/or programs are permitted; all such entries will be void.”
I saw the link with an audio sample but a drawing, I don’t have in mind any auto-drawing device.

Definitely don’t get it…. I drew by myself weapons in 2D, then with Paint.Net I make some shades on it, and special effects, it’s okay? It’s not cheating it’s just using what we have to make the most beautiful look! It’s like peoples with blender, it’s a tool, the program cannot drew automatically a weapon without you.. Also same question as Iridium.

(edited by hugo.4705)

in Community Creations

Iridium.6385

Lanhelin.3480:
“What exactly does this sentence refer to?: No automated entry devices and/or programs are permitted; all such entries will be void.”
I saw the link with an audio sample but a drawing, I don’t have in mind any auto-drawing device.

Definitely don’t get it…. I drew by myself weapons in 2D, then with Paint.Net I make some shades on it, and special effects, it’s okay? It’s not cheating it’s just using what we have to make the most beautiful look! It’s like peoples with blender, it’s a tool, the program cannot drew automatically a weapon without you..

That quote does not refer to the drawing process, but only to the “entry” process. When you will be done with your concept and will be uploading it, you should not use bots, but instead upload it yourself. You can use any program you like for drawing.

in Community Creations

hugo.4705

ah ok understood it now

in Community Creations

Posted by: Thelia.6540

Thelia.6540

Sooo I was a bit of an idiot. I submitted a piece but because I hit “upload” before starting to fill out the name info etc, I wasn’t sure if my entry had the correct information attached to it. Thankfully I found this thread to learn how to cancel out an accidental submission – by adding “erratum”. So I did that just in case. And then I realised my submission was in no way A4 shaped.

So my question is, can I cancel out the newer entry, by adding another “erratum” to the end of the newest (third) file name, essentially making it ‘…erratumerratum’, or should I just give up already? xD

(edited by Thelia.6540)

in Community Creations

Posted by: Elve.1278

Elve.1278

Still unsure about the limits to particle effects. My design has an on-off aspect, where it is a Bow handle, but when equipped particles fan out to complete the design. Is that considered legendary status particles? I’m worried my submission will be disqualified.

in Community Creations

Posted by: VonAdela.8624

VonAdela.8624

I saw the actually weapon gallery in GW2, esspecialy focus and I observed something intrested. Many of them have a different handle (sometimes dosen’t have -seems to be invisible- or handle is place “in object” example: [Elegant Fan Focus Skin] [Adam] [The Anomaly]) so definitely they aren’t match sheet template with yellow and green lines.

I know: “Red, yellow and green lines of the template must be respected” but I still have misunderstanding. So my question is: Should I respect all of the restricted lines and don’t make more creative handled (like in examples)? Or in case focus – the rulers are more float and can I ignore a little bit yellow/green lines?

It’s important question, because I want use my invention but I don’t want be disqualification. What do to with that green/yellow lines? They are little… confuse

(edited by VonAdela.8624)

in Community Creations

Posted by: MakubeC.3026

MakubeC.3026

I have a question regarding pistol’s design:
There are a lot of pistols in Gw2 that don’t exactly look like revolvers, which is what the template suggests. This means that the handle of the weapon is placed a little more towards the center of the body. A few examples are:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/7/79/HOPE.jpg
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/2/2d/Guild_Quick_Shot.jpg
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/e/ea/Improvised_Pistol.jpg
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/f/fb/Kaiser_Snake_Pistol.jpg

As you can observe, none of those pistols would fit the template 1:1. My question is: are only revolver style pistols allowed or is it possible to participate with something more alike the above?

in Community Creations

Posted by: Akira.6072

Akira.6072

I have a question regarding pistol’s design:
There are a lot of pistols in Gw2 that don’t exactly look like revolvers, which is what the template suggests. This means that the handle of the weapon is placed a little more towards the center of the body. A few examples are:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/7/79/HOPE.jpg
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/2/2d/Guild_Quick_Shot.jpg
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/e/ea/Improvised_Pistol.jpg
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/f/fb/Kaiser_Snake_Pistol.jpg

As you can observe, none of those pistols would fit the template 1:1. My question is: are only revolver style pistols allowed or is it possible to participate with something more alike the above?

I think you’ll be fine doing something like that. They want creativity I say, even the template (blue outline) is only a guideline. If you download the zip, there is a template with the dwayna weapon concepts and the blue lines are pretty general.

in Community Creations

Previous

Stephanie Bourguet

I’m 3D-artis and I want create 3D concept of weapon in Blender, then render image to 2D, and use a PS to match a render picture to template sheet. Is this correct or maybe is too realistic? At last finall result is still a 2D.

No problem with that as long as you submit a digital 2D image in the end. The technique you use to render that is up to you.

I read a few other rule sets of contests from other companies where this sentence appears and it always refers to registration processes for sweepstakes and things like that, to void entries by bots.

That too.

That’s strange. The rules seem to state that the weapons should be completely different. "Any entry submitted by a Contestant must be substantially different (as determined by Sponsors) than any other entry submitted by same Contestant. " Did I misunderstand the quote?

Weapons using a same theme are still different weapons. This line just means that you can’t submit several times the same entry and expect it to be treated as individual entries. In any case, belonging to the sponsors’ team, I can say that weapons belonging to a same theme are okay for us.

I am now also interested in what happens if a person submits 3 entries and becomes a finalist. Does only one entry get chosen for the finals or all 3?

We don’t pick 20 finalists, as in entities. We pick 20 finalists, as in 20 entries.

:( I have a weapon I want to submit, but my zip program doesn’t work. Can I have someone submit it for me?

You should not submit a zip. Zips are considered void by default. Your file should be .JPG or .PNG or .PSD and be light enough to fit the requirements.

I drew by myself weapons in 2D

Then it’s okay. You’re not using a bot or a script to cheat.

So my question is, can I cancel out the newer entry, by adding another “erratum” to the end of the newest (third) file name, essentially making it ‘…erratumerratum’, or should I just give up already? xD

Just write “erratum2”

Still unsure about the limits to particle effects. My design has an on-off aspect, where it is a Bow handle, but when equipped particles fan out to complete the design. Is that considered legendary status particles? I’m worried my submission will be disqualified.

That seems ok, particules wise.

If you download the zip, there is a template with the dwayna weapon concepts and the blue lines are pretty general.

Again, blue lines are a guideline you can take some liberties with.