GW2 Art Commission question

in Community Creations

Posted by: Zelkai.3562

Zelkai.3562

Q:

Before I barge into the GW2 fan art-commission game, I’d like to clarify whether this is acceptable or not. I am looking at doing art commissions for real life and/or in-game currency but don’t want to be stepping on any toes.

If someone who knows the policy on this could get back to me, it would be really great. I would love to start doing commissions but can’t seem to find anything conclusive about what is legal and reasonably within ToS.

-snip- new thread! https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/community/creations/Zelkai-s-Art-Commissions-open

(edited by Zelkai.3562)

in Community Creations

Posted by: Hahnchen.5420

Hahnchen.5420

A:

There was a reddit thread about this a bit ago. Even though it’s “against the ToS”, Anet doesn’t seem to have a problem featuring IRL money commissions on their blog.

Edit: Here is the Reddit thread. Cash for player-created characters is okay, but not for characters like Ellen, Evon, Destinty’s Edge, etc.

Check out my deviantART and Tumblr for GW2 art!

(edited by Hahnchen.5420)

in Community Creations

Posted by: AkioFallstar.5460

AkioFallstar.5460

If I weren’t completely broke in game (as in, I have 47s left) I’d be asking for your rates (which you should probably be putting up anyway) because your work looks fantastic.

Secondly, I’m pretty sure there’s no violation of any TOS. There have been other folks doing the same thing and I’ve seen no complaints.

Kaede Varr
Writer at Chronicles of Tyria
The Covenant of the Mourn [TEAR] and Powertrip [POW]

(edited by AkioFallstar.5460)

in Community Creations

Zelkai.3562

Thank you Akio. I looked and couldn’t find anyone charging real money for the commissions on the forums, though I know that people used to… Which made me wonder if it’s no longer allowed or something.

I’m quite nervous, will wait for more feedback (both from potential clients and from Anet). -;

in Community Creations

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

Afaik doing commissions for gold is allowed but doing them for irl money is against the ToS.

in Community Creations

AkioFallstar.5460

I know one or two of the artists who do work around here. I’ll ask them privately ingame or what not to see if they know and get back to you in a few days if you’ve not worked it out by then.

Kaede Varr

in Community Creations

Zelkai.3562

Thank you both for responding. Akio, thank you for going that far to look into it!
I’ve changed the title of the thread to hopefully catch mod attention. Crossing my fingers!

in Community Creations

Zelkai.3562

Thanks Hahnchen!

in Community Creations

Zelkai.3562

I would still love to hear directly from a mod though. >.< At the moment my hands are tied.

in Community Creations

Posted by: archemmy.8725

archemmy.8725

I’m also interested to know whether or not it’s allowed =) If someone has found out from a mod, please share it here or message me! Thanks

in Community Creations

AkioFallstar.5460

Well, I haven’t gotten an answer yet from my artist contacts (Oooh, doesn’t that sound all dramatic?) but I’ll let you know if I do.

And yes, there is a degree of self interest involved here, seeing as I’d love to commission something as soon as I’ve scrounged together some cash/time/etc.

Kaede Varr

in Community Creations

Zelkai.3562

Fweee, thank you. ^^
While I would like to do commissions myself, I also want to commission other artists in the future. I’ve seen some really interesting and beautiful styles from the other artists.

in Community Creations

Zelkai.3562

Now open I guess.

in Community Creations

Posted by: archemmy.8725

archemmy.8725

Love your paintings! =) Awesome style. How many slots do you have?

in Community Creations

Zelkai.3562

Hi archemmy, currently I have two slots open.

in Community Creations

AkioFallstar.5460

As soon as I’m not entirely broke, I’ll be back!

Still no word from my artist “contacts”, but it seems you’ve figured it out without me.

Kaede Varr

in Community Creations

Zelkai.3562

I look forward to it.

in Community Creations

Zelkai.3562

More examples (this time the unpolished sketchy & loose painting style)
http://fav.me/d8k8pxh
http://fav.me/d8kb918

And a commission I just did (still thinking of polishing it more when I’m more awake):
http://fav.me/d8kcwok